MLB Trade Deadline Post. Oswalt accepts trade to the Phillies.

Originally Posted by Proshares

A top flight lefty shuts that lineup down 9 times out of 10. I still think they need to put Ibanez on the bench and let Brown play it out. Their offense needs to get healthy and productive again.

No way.  Not only will a good lefty shut down that team with a percentage like that but Domonic Brown should not play the season out.  Hes no where near ready to play every day so forget about playing him in a playoff race.

A top flight lefty shuts that lineup down 9 times out of 10. I still think they need to put Ibanez on the bench and let Brown play it out. Their offense needs to get healthy and productive again.

No way.  Not only will a good lefty shut down that team with a percentage like that but Domonic Brown should not play the season out.  Hes no where near ready to play every day so forget about playing him in a playoff race.

My instant reaction?

!+*% THE JAYYS, !+*% AA, !+*% EVERYBODY THIS IS STUPID ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Ill take more time to think about it but this thing stinks of fail.

My instant reaction?

!+*% THE JAYYS, !+*% AA, !+*% EVERYBODY THIS IS STUPID ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Ill take more time to think about it but this thing stinks of fail.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Can he be any worse than Ibanez?  I don't know where you're getting he's no where near ready to play every day, he's been an every day player every year in the minors.  At the very least, they should have a platoon in the OF with Raul and Brown.

I seriously thought it was a joke when I saw Wallace getting flipped to Houston.  That's a steal...

Originally Posted by Durden7

Can he be any worse than Ibanez?  I don't know where you're getting he's no where near ready to play every day, he's been an every day player every year in the minors.  At the very least, they should have a platoon in the OF with Raul and Brown.

I seriously thought it was a joke when I saw Wallace getting flipped to Houston.  That's a steal...

Wilson Ramos went from heading up a package for Lee to being traded straight up for Capps?
laugh.gif

Wilson Ramos went from heading up a package for Lee to being traded straight up for Capps?
laugh.gif

OKB:

The Astros' hands were tied a bit by Oswalt's no-trade clause, but Houston still got value in the deal.
Roy Oswalt makes the Phillies two or three wins better for the rest of the season, given what they've been running out there and the injury to Jamie Moyer, and sets them up much better for a playoff series by eliminating the possibility of an October start by a J.A. Happ or a Kyle Kendrick.

While Oswalt isn't the 220- to 240-inning workhorse he was earlier in the decade, on a per-batter basis, he is pretty close to his peak self. Since his stuff has slipped only slightly since then, he is a reasonable bet for the next 15 months. Given the low cost in prospects, it's a no-brainer for the Phillies and should make Atlanta look over its shoulder a little more.

Happ is a fifth-starter type with good command and deception but fringy stuff without a real knockout pitch. He's a particularly bad fit for Houston's ballpark as a left-handed fly ball pitcher who has had some trouble with right-handed hitters. He's also coming off a forearm strain that has ruined his 2010 season. Other than that, he's everything you could ask for in a pitcher.

Jonathan Villar is a long-term project, a plus runner with a chance to be a plus defender all around at shortstop, but he is extremely raw at the plate and projects to have fringe-average power at best. He's a good guy to have in the system because of the defensive ability and the hope he can get on base enough to be more than Adam Everett.

Anthony Gose had attracted first-round attention out of high school as a left-handed pitcher who would pitch at 92-96 mph with a potentially plus curveball, but he insisted he wanted to go out as a position player and remains more tools than performance at this point. He struggles to recognize offspeed stuff and doesn't walk, and despite good leverage in his swing, he has hit for almost no power in more than 1,000 pro plate appearances. He wraps his bat but does have good hand speed and seems to recover well once he gets his bat started. He's a plus runner, but his 57 percent stolen base success rate this year is comically bad, and while he can run enough for center, his feel for the position isn't great. He's headed to Toronto in a side deal that could not possibly make less sense to me.

Brett Wallace goes to Houston in exchange for Gose in what has to be the easiest "yes" of Ed Wade's life as a GM. He's an advanced hitter who has been adequate in Triple-A this year but hasn't raked as I would have expected, given what a good hitter's park that is. However, he has an outstanding swing and controls the strike zone well, doesn't show the platoon split so common in left-handed hitting prospects and was just 23 in Triple-A. He's twice as valuable a prospect as Gose. Despite concerns over his lateral mobility, he's a capable first baseman who will hit for average, get on base and have enough power to be an above-average or better player there.

Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos keeps emphasizing how he wants to get more athletic ... I'm just not sure how converting Michael Taylor into Anthony Gose makes the Blue Jays more athletic -- it just makes them worse off. And while Wallace plus Villar isn't a great return for Houston, its hands were somewhat tied by the contract and Oswalt's no-trade clause.

I do wonder whether Wallace's arrival means Lance Berkman is next out the door, which would give Houston another chance to add an impact prospect and allow it to slide Wallace right in at first base.

OKB:

The Astros' hands were tied a bit by Oswalt's no-trade clause, but Houston still got value in the deal.
Roy Oswalt makes the Phillies two or three wins better for the rest of the season, given what they've been running out there and the injury to Jamie Moyer, and sets them up much better for a playoff series by eliminating the possibility of an October start by a J.A. Happ or a Kyle Kendrick.

While Oswalt isn't the 220- to 240-inning workhorse he was earlier in the decade, on a per-batter basis, he is pretty close to his peak self. Since his stuff has slipped only slightly since then, he is a reasonable bet for the next 15 months. Given the low cost in prospects, it's a no-brainer for the Phillies and should make Atlanta look over its shoulder a little more.

Happ is a fifth-starter type with good command and deception but fringy stuff without a real knockout pitch. He's a particularly bad fit for Houston's ballpark as a left-handed fly ball pitcher who has had some trouble with right-handed hitters. He's also coming off a forearm strain that has ruined his 2010 season. Other than that, he's everything you could ask for in a pitcher.

Jonathan Villar is a long-term project, a plus runner with a chance to be a plus defender all around at shortstop, but he is extremely raw at the plate and projects to have fringe-average power at best. He's a good guy to have in the system because of the defensive ability and the hope he can get on base enough to be more than Adam Everett.

Anthony Gose had attracted first-round attention out of high school as a left-handed pitcher who would pitch at 92-96 mph with a potentially plus curveball, but he insisted he wanted to go out as a position player and remains more tools than performance at this point. He struggles to recognize offspeed stuff and doesn't walk, and despite good leverage in his swing, he has hit for almost no power in more than 1,000 pro plate appearances. He wraps his bat but does have good hand speed and seems to recover well once he gets his bat started. He's a plus runner, but his 57 percent stolen base success rate this year is comically bad, and while he can run enough for center, his feel for the position isn't great. He's headed to Toronto in a side deal that could not possibly make less sense to me.

Brett Wallace goes to Houston in exchange for Gose in what has to be the easiest "yes" of Ed Wade's life as a GM. He's an advanced hitter who has been adequate in Triple-A this year but hasn't raked as I would have expected, given what a good hitter's park that is. However, he has an outstanding swing and controls the strike zone well, doesn't show the platoon split so common in left-handed hitting prospects and was just 23 in Triple-A. He's twice as valuable a prospect as Gose. Despite concerns over his lateral mobility, he's a capable first baseman who will hit for average, get on base and have enough power to be an above-average or better player there.

Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos keeps emphasizing how he wants to get more athletic ... I'm just not sure how converting Michael Taylor into Anthony Gose makes the Blue Jays more athletic -- it just makes them worse off. And while Wallace plus Villar isn't a great return for Houston, its hands were somewhat tied by the contract and Oswalt's no-trade clause.

I do wonder whether Wallace's arrival means Lance Berkman is next out the door, which would give Houston another chance to add an impact prospect and allow it to slide Wallace right in at first base.

I know the Phillies' brass have to be regreting trading Lee in the offseason.

They had a ace last year who was a proven beast throughout the regular season and postseason only to trade him in the offseason because they didn't want to sign him long term.

Only to trade for another ace a year later and further deplete their farm system.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but wouldn't it have been prudent for Philly to keep Lee this year, try to make another run @ World Series with a rotation lead by Halladay and Lee (
sick.gif
) and try to sign Lee in the offseason?

I know all that is easier said than done but still.

I know the Phillies' brass have to be regreting trading Lee in the offseason.

They had a ace last year who was a proven beast throughout the regular season and postseason only to trade him in the offseason because they didn't want to sign him long term.

Only to trade for another ace a year later and further deplete their farm system.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but wouldn't it have been prudent for Philly to keep Lee this year, try to make another run @ World Series with a rotation lead by Halladay and Lee (
sick.gif
) and try to sign Lee in the offseason?

I know all that is easier said than done but still.

Well they really didn't give up much to get Lee, got back better return in the trade to Seattle and then again gave up very little for another ace in Oswalt. I think Amaro did pretty well for himself considering what prospects got switched and that they went to the WS last year.

BTW CJ Wilson was exceptional before the trade but I think he'll excel his game even more learning from Lee. One of my favorite pitchers to watch.

Back
Top Bottom