My Gay Friends: Please stop comparing your plight to civil rights.

Just had a long convo with one of my LGBT friends, and I'm getting highly frustrated from hearing that the plight to marriage equality is just the same as when blacks fought against the demons of the government. When the LGBT group goes through the same Tuskegee trials, jim crow laws, or even the same voting laws given their sexuality, then you can compare such a horrifying and demonizing place in history.

Am I wrong?

Just had a long convo with one of my LGBT friends, and I'm getting highly frustrated from hearing that the plight to marriage equality is just the same as when blacks fought against the demons of the government. When the LGBT group goes through the same Tuskegee trials, jim crow laws, or even the same voting laws given their sexuality, then you can compare such a horrifying and demonizing place in history.

Am I wrong?

Qualifying wrongs as better or worse is just as lame. Both are unjust; marriage equality is no less of a social ill than any other civil right. Make inroads to solve them instead of drawing comparisons or qualifications.

It's not the same, but you can't just act like everything is all fine and dandy for them.

It's not the same, but you can't just act like everything is all fine and dandy for them.

Qualifying wrongs as better or worse is just as lame. Both are unjust; marriage equality is no less of a social ill than any other civil right. Make inroads to solve them instead of drawing comparisons or qualifications.

not trying to troll but to some extent if not absolutely you are right.

IN MY OPINION the gay and lesbian issues has more to do with morals and ethnics (gay marriage) rather than laws and government. while the civil rights movements has to do with both (voting, equal rights, etc)

im on my way to the gym, ill get on this later.

not trying to troll but to some extent if not absolutely you are right.

IN MY OPINION the gay and lesbian issues has more to do with morals and ethnics (gay marriage) rather than laws and government. while the civil rights movements has to do with both (voting, equal rights, etc)

im on my way to the gym, ill get on this later.

No, you're not wrong. While I think it's wrong and unjust gay people cannot marry, they're not being punished for their acts with violence or prison terms. It's different.

Oh yeah, in before "I didn't choose to be black, they chose to be gay."

No, you're not wrong. While I think it's wrong and unjust gay people cannot marry, they're not being punished for their acts with violence or prison terms. It's different.

Oh yeah, in before "I didn't choose to be black, they chose to be gay."

Originally Posted by Hizzle

Oh yeah, in before
"I didn't choose to be black, they chose to be gay."

Originally Posted by Hizzle

Oh yeah, in before
"I didn't choose to be black, they chose to be gay."

If you just look at the problem, at the root of it they are very similar in the fact both groups were fighting for rights they should have already. Its not the same in the types of struggles both groups went through though...

If you just look at the problem, at the root of it they are very similar in the fact both groups were fighting for rights they should have already. Its not the same in the types of struggles both groups went through though...

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

no one is stopping gay people from being educated, sharing common facilities, or making post cards of them being attacked.

gay people have TONS of rights and people have been VERY lenient to gay people these days. I just dont see the gay struggle.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

no one is stopping gay people from being educated, sharing common facilities, or making post cards of them being attacked.

gay people have TONS of rights and people have been VERY lenient to gay people these days. I just dont see the gay struggle.

Yeah you cant compare what African Americans went through with what Gays are fighting for today. Iv'e never seen Dogs unleashed on them, or having laws created that affects Blacks till this day.But Gays are fighting for Marriage equality which is a right that they don't have.

Yeah you cant compare what African Americans went through with what Gays are fighting for today. Iv'e never seen Dogs unleashed on them, or having laws created that affects Blacks till this day.But Gays are fighting for Marriage equality which is a right that they don't have.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Selective reading? Did you miss the part about both groups not enduring the same struggles? Thats my point...Gay people arent being shot with water hoses and attacked by dogs. Blacks had a much more difficult struggle to over come. At the base of the issue though, both groups are/were fighting for rights they should have already had...

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Selective reading? Did you miss the part about both groups not enduring the same struggles? Thats my point...Gay people arent being shot with water hoses and attacked by dogs. Blacks had a much more difficult struggle to over come. At the base of the issue though, both groups are/were fighting for rights they should have already had...

You're not wrong ..

The didn't get sprayed with fire hoses .. or had a Gay only faucet ect.

I do believe they should have the right to marry ..

You're not wrong ..

The didn't get sprayed with fire hoses .. or had a Gay only faucet ect.

I do believe they should have the right to marry ..

Back
Top Bottom