NBA Legacy Thread, Update Resumes

Just discovered this thread and skimmed through the last couple pages.  For TD, he is definitely up there with the greats.  I've had discussions with a lot of people about where he stands and one valid point that has stuck out is the fact that while he is great it's up in the air on where to put him because throughout his tenure, he was never really the best player in the league.  Lebron, Kobe, MJ, Magic, Bird etc...at one point where the best players in the league/world.  This is no disrespect to TD's game, but I don't disagree when people say he is the best PF but I also don't disagree when they say he wasn't the best player in the league during his time. It's weird, and it kinda fits who TD is.  

TD won back to back MVPs....and 3 Championships from 99-05....Other than Shaq...he was the best player during that time.

More flashy players like AI, Kobe, Tmac, & KG kinda drowned Duncan out at the time....

But he was dominating. You can't win 3 Finals MVPs and 2 MVPs in a 5 year period and not be arguably one of the top 2 players in the league...

He didn't.

He won them in 7 years. 99-03-05.

But keep makin stuff up to help it sound better.

Just discovered this thread and skimmed through the last couple pages.  For TD, he is definitely up there with the greats.  I've had discussions with a lot of people about where he stands and one valid point that has stuck out is the fact that while he is great it's up in the air on where to put him because throughout his tenure, he was never really the best player in the league.  Lebron, Kobe, MJ, Magic, Bird etc...at one point where the best players in the league/world.  This is no disrespect to TD's game, but I don't disagree when people say he is the best PF but I also don't disagree when they say he wasn't the best player in the league during his time. It's weird, and it kinda fits who TD is.  

I mean this is just wrong, many years where TD was the best player...if anything this logic applies to Kobe.

There isn't a single season where Kobe was the undisputed best player in the L.

TD won back to back MVPs....and 3 Championships from 99-05....Other than Shaq...he was the best player during that time.

More flashy players like AI, Kobe, Tmac, & KG kinda drowned Duncan out at the time....

But he was dominating. You can't win 3 Finals MVPs and 2 MVPs in a 5 year period and not be arguably one of the top 2 players in the league...
Couldn't agree with you more.  AI, Kobe, Tmac and KG totally drowned him out.  I think the fact people debate if he's the best PF and where he belongs in terms of the greats is a reflection of him as a player and the team he played on.  He's always flew under the radar because of the flashy players, he played in a smaller market/team first organization, he was a quiet guy in regards to the media, and the team he played &and him were "boring" to watch to the casual NBA fan.  

Personally, I do think he is the best PF of all time.  He just flew under the radar and I think that's what he wanted.  

My top 5 by position are 1)Magic 2)MJ 3)This is tough for me because I watched Bird during the tail end of his career so I didn't get to witness how good he truly was.  LBJ is the best SF I have seen but I'd put Bird here too 4)TD  5)Again, I'm not old enough to have witnessed Wilt, Russell or Kareem.  The best center I saw play was Shaq, but I any of the 3 can be put here. 

He didn't.

He won them in 7 years. 99-03-05.

But keep makin stuff up to help it sound better.

Whoops. Counted wrong by 2 years. Still doesn't change anything I said.

Keep being salty though.

I mean this is just wrong, many years where TD was the best player...if anything this logic applies to Kobe.

Exactly.

Maybe 06-09 for Kobe though.

Last edited:

I guess it also depends on what you would call best.  Same conversation as who is really the MVP??? Is it Steph or Lebron?  Steph has played like the "best" player the last two seasons, but is he the most valuable/really the best??? I guess you could say this years finals answered that.  

I don't know who the best player was during that time.  If it means anything, when I had that conversation and the person I spoke to said that TD was never the best player, that person was a die hard Laker/Kobe fan, but also knew his stuff so maybe there was a little biased there.  You could defitinely make points for both.  When the Spurs were winning, he was on the best team and was their best player (except that one year Parker won Finals MVP).  It really is a hard discussion.  To me, he is the best PF of all time and I couldn't tell you where I'd put him on a top 5 or top 10 list.  Theres too many great players and theres too many arguments to be made.  

Whoops. Counted wrong by 2 years. Still doesn't change anything I said.

Keep being salty though.
Exactly.

Maybe 06-09 for Kobe though.
AFter MJ and the Bulls won there titles I think it was the Rockets, Spurs, Lakers, Pistons, Celtics, and Miami who had their reign in the NBA.  Yea...I guess during that time he was the best player in the league.  I wouldn't argue with you too much if you said Kobe or Shaq though...tough call.  

Top 10 of all time:

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Magic
4. Russell
5. Duncan
6. Shaq
7. Kobe
8. Wilt
9. Bron
10. Bird/Hakeem
Repped.  I like that list and agree with it for the most part.  Just curious, was Bron winning this year a factor in putting him in front of Bird?? Would he still be ahead if he didn't win this year??

Repped.  I like that list and agree with it for the most part.  Just curious, was Bron winning this year a factor in putting him in front of Bird?? Would he still be ahead if he didn't win this year??

Bron wouldn't have been ahead of Bird for me if he didn't win. This put him firmly over the edge for me.

1.MJ

2.Kareem

3.Russell

4.Magic

5.Wilt

6.Oscar

7.Kobe

8.Duncan

9.Lebron

10.Shaq

11.Duncan

12.Bird

13.Hakeem

14.Dr. J

15.Iceman

16. Malone

17. Cousy

18. West

19. Baylor

20. Miller

^^^ You got Duncan twice. And don't tell me #20 is Miller, as in Reggie Miller....:lol:

There may be 30 additional players with better careers than Reggie Miller.

MJ
Magic
Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Bird
Kobe
Shaq
Bron
Duncan
Hakeem
Oscar
West
Moses
Karl
KG
Barkley
Pippen
Iverson
Isaiah

Baylor, Cousy, Dr J, all need slots, I don't know where.

I kinda want to move Bird down looking at the longevity of Kobe, Shaq, Bron, Duncan, but not sure how to gauge it. Iono.

Top 15??? You don't think that's a little soon? Feels kinda early but you might be right.

Stockton, Drexler in the next range as well.

No way in hell Dirk is over KG.

06, 07, 08, 09 Kobe definitely was.

The only undisputed best players are Jordan era, Shaq from 98 - 02, Lebron from 2010 - now.

Duncan was never hands down the best. He was the best on the best organization. Once Shaq started eating too much Kobe, Duncan, KG, Jason Kidd, AI, TMac was all in that mix. You could make argument for anyone of them being the best player in different years.

Last edited:
No way in hell Dirk is over KG.
06, 07, 08, 09 Kobe definitely was.

The only undisputed best players are Jordan era, Shaq from 98 - 02, Lebron from 2010 - now.

Duncan was never hands down the best. He was the best on the best organization. Once Shaq started eating too much Kobe, Duncan, KG, Jason Kidd, AI, TMac was all in that mix. You could make argument for anyone of them being the best player in different years.

Dirk definitley had a better career than KG. KG might've been the better two way player...but Dirk was more consistent and won a lot more. Plus, Dirks longevity >>> KG's.

And it was Duncan & Shaq as the best two players in the early 00s. I love AI, Tmac and JKidd....but they aren't in the same tier of players as Duncan at that time. They were just more popular.

Dirk had better teammates around him. Nash and Finley are better than anybody KG played with in Minnesota. KG had one season with a legit team around him and he went to the conference finals. KG was the definition of consistent. During his Minnesota days he was guaranteed 22, 12, 5 and great defense. Went to Boston and led that team to a ring.

Only thing I'll give Dirk was he was a better shooter. Dirk had some choking moments. 06 and 07. He was too soft a lot of times. Great shooter, never looked at him as a great player. KG was.

Dirk had better teammates around him. Nash and Finley are better than anybody KG played with in Minnesota. KG had one season with a legit team around him and he went to the conference finals. KG was the definition of consistent. During his Minnesota days he was guaranteed 22, 12, 5 and great defense. Went to Boston and led that team to a ring.

Only thing I'll give Dirk was he was a better shooter. Dirk had some choking moments. 06 and 07. He was too soft a lot of times. Great shooter, never looked at him as a great player. KG was.

Bruh....Dirk in 06 was crazy. Refs took a chip away from him.

And then what he did in 2011 might be the greatest individual playoff runs in modern history. Went through B. Roy and LMA, Kobe and the defending championship lakers. KD, Russ & Harden. Bron Wade & Bosh.

All while being the only All Star on his team. You not giving Dirk credit man.

How you going to look at him as just a "great shooter, and not a great player" smh. Dirk was 25/9 on 50-40-90 in his prime.

:smh:.

Last edited:
Duncan is a top 10 player all time, who just happened to get overshadowed by the 2 best perimeter players ever outside of Magic and MJ in Kobe and LeBron. Lot of team accomplishments that elevate his greatness and overshadow how he really benefited from being a part time player the last 6 seasons or so, something that neither of those other two guys were afforded when healthy. Also had the stability of an organization only seen by the likes of Tom Brady in modern sports, which helped him a lot in his twilight years. Never was flashy but always substantive, great battles with my Lakers over the years. Consummate professional but never really got to see what made him tick or how he would handle adversity because there was really never any present. HOF class of 2021 will be lit for sure now, or maybe he won't even show up
laugh.gif
.  As for my updated rankings now that he's officially hung em up:

1. MJ

2. Kareem

3. Magic

4. Bron

5. Kobe

6. Duncan

7. Shaq

8. Russell

9. Bird

10. Wilt 

Reggie Miller hate him dude is the worst also no dwade gotta be top 20 right?

Back
Top Bottom