NBC employee claims Bill Cosby paid off women, invited young models to dressing room.

Here is a summary of why I find these criticisms about black people marrying so bad and unconvincing.

Let us put aside all the normal progressives critiques we hear in response.

Like I mentioned before, in 1960 a conservative lead commission came to the same conclusion about single-family households were a unique problem with the black family. Their response was to pass policies that incentivized two parents households. I have my criticisms of such an approach but it is clearly much more level headed than what I see people arguing in here

In 2017, a conservative think tank wrote a study on this. There take on it....

The American Enterprise Institute recently published a new report by Brad Wilcox and Wendy Wang that highlights the class divide in American marriage. As the authors explain, prior to the 1970s family life looked similar across socioeconomic levels, but today there are stark divides across class when it comes to marriage, divorce, and unwed childbearing.

The problem with trying to paint this as a uniquely black problem is that is has a massive class dynamic to it. And what group experiences poverty at a higher rate?

Their take on why higher-income people getting and staying married...

Wilcox and Wang also hypothesize that because working-class and poor Americans don’t have as large an economic or social stake in marriage, cultural norms are more significant for maintaining their marriages. For example, the authors point to homeownership as a barrier against divorce. But because poor and lower-income Americans are less likely to own a home, the authors note, there are “fewer reasons to avoid divorce.”

While it makes sense that having greater assets connected to marriage would provide a barrier to divorce, it also seems plausible that a working class couple would have substantial financial reasons to avoid divorce. Staying married could mean the difference between remaining afloat financially and falling into a precarious economic situation where each parent now must maintain their own separate household.

Another reason that the authors include for increased family instability among poor and working-class Americans are the marriage penalties of the means-tested welfare system. For example, Medicaid and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) penalize marriage (among dozens of other means-tested welfare programs that all essentially penalize marriage). This is because when a couple marries, their income is counted together but the household income threshold for benefits remains the same—effectively decreasing the amount of welfare benefits the household is eligible to receive. For example, a single mother of two children with annual earnings of $15,000 would receive about $5,200 in food stamp benefits annually, but if she marries a man who also earns $15,000, they would no longer be eligible for SNAP.

Lower-income people marriages have more to do with social norms and institutions that support marriage, when those break down, so do marriages.

These trends are occurring in all racial classes. The United States has a higher rate of single-parent households than other advanced economies. The black population is simply not big enough to explain away that difference. What else is unique about America? It has on of the worse middle-class social safety needs compared to other advanced economies.

If someone wants more black people to get married it would probably do more if housing was cheaper, we had a universal childcare allowance without a marriage penalty and did all we could to pull the most people out of poverty. If we are talking culturally, then the black church gaining more prominence might do more than more people adopting this "accountability framing"

When we talk about macro problems, the discussion should be about macro solutions. Solutions that work other places, work across class and racial lines. Because again, black people are not uniquely bad, morally bankrupt, against the nuclear family. Marriage is falling out of favor with a lot of people.

There are just more forces tearing the black nuclear family apart.

More moralizing about black people failures probably isn't gonna do much

Last edited:
Also, they found that immigrant populations are helping boost up American numbers. Especially with Hispanics of course.

So logically if you strip them out, within the same class, subsequent generations (born in America) numbers will be closer to black people (whose 1st generation immigrant population is much lower)

So this "Hispanics so it why can't black people" is more like "immigrants do it, why can't native born Americans"

Last edited:
What's the solution to broken homes / single parent households in the Black Community?

Get Married?

mad.jpg

Don't have unprotected sex?

mad.jpg

Use Birth Control?

mad.jpg

Be Responsible / Accountable?

mad.jpg

Pull out?

mad.jpg

Blame White folks?

happy.jpg

What's the solution to broken homes / single parent households in the Black Community?

Get Married?

mad.jpg

Don't have unprotected sex?

mad.jpg

Use Birth Control?

mad.jpg

Be Responsible / Accountable?

mad.jpg

Pull out?

mad.jpg

Blame White folks?

happy.jpg
This thread in a nutshell. Find any and all evidence/studies one can find in order to circumvent accountability for one's actions. Because in their eyes, black people can do no wrong.

This thread in a nutshell. Find any and all evidence/studies one can find in order to circumvent accountability for one's actions. Because in their eyes, black people can do no wrong.
This thread is about Bill Cosby raping women and getting with it

So if you are worried about the lack of accountability with black people, if I go through your post in here, I'm sure I will find the people pushing these "bootstraps" arguments being really pissed about Cosby not being held accountable.

Right? :D

Life is simple in one regard: you make choices and you live with the consequences of those choices.
Amen.

That has nothing to do with marrying a woman you got pregnant though. Just be present, attentive, and cooperative. You don't need a marriage to do any of that.

This thread is about Bill Cosby raping women and getting with it

So if you are worried about the lack of accountability with black people, if I go through your post in here, I'm sure I will find the people pushing these "bootstraps" arguments being really pissed about Cosby not being held accountable.

Right? :D
Quite the contrary! Bill had his day in court and his conviction was overturned. Nothing to be pissed about at all.

Quite the contrary! Bill had his day in court and his conviction was overturned. Nothing to be pissed about at all.
Really, his conviction wasn't overturned by new evidence came up regarding his innocence

He won an appeal because a prosecutor goofed. Not even the one that brought him to trial

But if you are cool with a probable rapist walking around, to each his own

I think Cosby should have faced more.....what's the word.......checks notes..........oh yeah..........accountability

Amen.

That has nothing to do with marrying a woman you got pregnant though. Just be present, attentive, and cooperative. You don't need a marriage to do any of that.
And the number of children born into single parent households will continue to rise in the black community. Even in the face of a near 80% illegitimacy rate you're still pushing for a broken solution. Marriage isn't for everyone, but don't bring children into this world unless you intend on giving them the best possible chance in life.

Really, his conviction wasn't overturned by new evidence came up regarding his innocence

He won an appeal because a prosecutor goofed. Not even the one that brought him to trial

I think Cosby should have faced more.....what's the word.......checks notes..........oh yeah..........accountability

unnamed+(5).jpg

And the number of children born into single parent households will continue to rise in the black community. Even in the face of a near 80% illegitimacy rate you're still pushing for a broken solution. Marriage isn't for everyone, but don't bring children into this world unless you intend on giving them the best possible chance in life.
So to recap: I'm "pushing for a broken solution" while you hold steadfast to the "if you carry get married" narrative?

I think you're better off advocating for abortion or adoption if that's your conclusion.

No need to relitigate this case. We all know what happened. Bill cosby will be held accountable by his maker for his actions on this earth. That ain't nothing do with me being "cool with a probable rapist walking around". You need to redirect your disdain towards him, not me.

No need to relitigate this case. We all know what happened. Bill cosby will be held accountable by his maker for his actions on this earth. That ain't nothing do with me being "cool with a probable rapist walking around". You need to redirect your disdain towards him, not me.
Why can't black people that don't get married be held accountable for their actions by their maker? And leave it at that.

Last edited:
The point is that single parent households and broken homes are not the obstacle to black folks' progress.

The obstacle is a perpetual lack of economic power (and I don't mean buying power, but investing power). That economic power is not an automatic byproduct of marriage.
I love how this comment euro steps divorce. What should a married couple with children do when they can no longer live together? Send the kids back where they came from?

The point is that single parent households and broken homes are not the obstacle to black folks' progress.

The obstacle is a perpetual lack of economic power (and I don't mean buying power, but investing power). That economic power is not an automatic byproduct of marriage.

I love how this comment euro steps divorce. What should a married couple with children do when they can no longer live together? Send the kids back where they came from?

"The point is that single parent households and broken homes are not the obstacle to black folks' progress."

giphy (3).gif

Back
Top Bottom