New thread started

for some reason I always assumed Adam Silver was on Seattle's side of things during the whole Hansen debacle, apparently not.

What a lad 
nthat.gif

[h2]  [/h2]
[h2]Adam Silver reportedly delivered key message to keep Kings in Sacramento[/h2]
By Drew Garrison    @DrewGarrisonSBN  on Oct 22 2013, 2:47p 14

20130925_ajl_aa9_048.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports

The future NBA commissioner helped the "coin flip" odds Sacramento faced to keep the Kings land in their favor.

TWEET  (53)  SHARE  (35)    SHARE  14  COMMENTS  ⋆  REC  1

The saga of the Kings  staying in Sacramento was a long, twisting road. Every little detail was just a crumb in a path littered with board of governors meetings, rallies and arena proposals, but a new wrinkle was unveiled on how the decision was made. Adam Silver was a key voice that "changed the conversation" in a room that ultimately decided on keeping the Kings in Sacramento, according to John Lombardo and Terry Lofton's profile on the soon-to-be NBA comissioner for the Sports Business Journal:
Silver listened as debate raged between NBA owners, a phalanx of lawyers and Stern; the point of contention was whether ownership would allow the Sacramento Kings to be sold to a group that would move the team more than 625 miles north to Seattle. In the balance was an astounding franchise price of $406 million, along with a relocation fee rumored to be around $75 million, which would be split among ownership.

None of that mattered to Silver as he surgically cut through the posturing, pushing to keep the Kings in California and sending a message to owners and the fans about the importance of franchise stability.

"Adam was very blunt and it changed the conversation in the room,"Washington Wizards  owner Ted Leonsis said. "The lawyers spoke and David spoke, but Adam found a higher calling that all of us tapped into."
Plenty of things needed to happen  for Sacramento to keep their NBA franchise, especially with the Maloofs preferring the deal with Chris Hansen's Seattle-based group over the bid to keep the Kings in place.

Sactown RoyaltyA look at the Kings' preseason stats

Sacramento needed to find a majority investors. multiple minority investors and even replacement minority investors, the investor group needed to reimburse Hansen's $30 million non-refundable deposit to the Maloofs and also needed to layout a plan for a "modern" arena.

Even with all of these requirement being met there were reports streaming in that Sacramento's fate was still a "coin flip."  From the sound of things, it seems Silver's message of proving the stability of NBA franchises was one of the reasons that coin fell in Sacramento's favor.

Last edited:
The game is on Comcast California tonight!

Grant and Jerry will be calling the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't believe i just found this thread.  i live and breath Kings basketball!

McLemore is the real deal. doesn't play like a rookie

Damn that crowd was loud tonight for a preseason game, i can't wait to be at the home opener next week, going to be crazy!

Last edited:
Great game! I hope Malone starts Ben next game. He's been impressive so far and deserves to be the starting sg.

Can't wait for the home opener.

if you guys watched the game on CSNCA last night, it was my tweet that Kayte Cristiensen read and showed on the screen, lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom