New York Giants Season Thread!...The Tommy Cutlets Era

What should the Giants do in the first round?

• Take a QB

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Barkley

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Chubb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade down

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^^i disagree, cruz was a non factor because the QB on avg got rid of the ball quicker than most QBs in the league and his 1st and 2nd option was not cruz on most plays. can't wait to see how this head case reacts to being 3rd option on this team

the offense was top 10 in 15 eli threw 35 TDs. ruben randel was the number 2 WR on that team. and 16 season where was randel? out the league due to sucking.

it wouldnt shock me one bit if cruz has a better season than Marshall this season. watch cruz team up with romo in houston and have a better season....

the team choose signing 2 players with money that they could and should have been used for oline help. instead we will be back to getting guys off scrap heap. ie talents like newhouse and jerry.

Last edited:
It's not as simple as just getting rid of the ball quicker, Cruz is clearly not the same player that he was and was also playing out of position on the outside where he could not break free most of the time, he doesn't have that same burst

There aren't great O-line options in free agency and the average ones are EXPENSIVE, quality ones can be had in the second/third round of the draft.

Last edited:
Giants right now have the most depth they've had in a while with their OL, but there is still work to be done. Still need to look to the draft as OL being priority, TE, LB, RB, DT/DE.

They're a playoff team, but they could use another good draft to make them a serious contending one.

^bodies at OL yes, wrong bodies double true, i believe

as of today looks like Flowers, pugh, richburg, jerry, with Fluker and hart fighting for RT and the other would be the backup tackle? yikes. hart got the starting RT job due to injury and lost it due to suckyness. Fluker was a draft bust and was cut. Jerry improved for sure but his game is weak in run blocking as is hart and fluker. how can our running game improve? oh we gave 8 million guaranteed to a FB/TE who likely won't play in more than 25% of plays on offense.

Giants could have signed Whitworth to play LT moved flowers to RT and had hart and a rookie 2nd or 3rd round guard fight for a spot on line. I know whitworth is older, he has been above avg LT for years now, only risk is injury. he would have been a instant upgrade at LT and made the entire unit stronger. instead of hart starting at RT he could be the backup RT and flowers back up LT. thats talent + depth. hope i'm proven wrong, need flowers to make a big jump in year 3.

great move in extending JPP. why so late? we could have been players in FA to get a guy like whitworth. Hope they spend this money and not go into season with 10+M in cap room again.

I know Reese has been smart with cap, we have never been in trouble. but we are close and the window is closing. our QB has 3 years left at a high number. now is the time to get into cap trouble for future years as once eli is gone his replacement likely will be 80% less.

sign hankins, draft a TE/LB in 1st 2 rounds and lets hope we have the same luck as past season with injuries.

i dont mind the Geno signing but i hope the giants draft someone in later rounds to be 3rd QB

oh and Tunsil was rated very highly at guard from what i read 2nd half of season and is moving to LT. i'm going to bet his 1st season at LT will be better than flowers 3rd season at LT

Do they think Odell is going to be our kicker?! guess they are looking for a rookie kicker....

Last edited:
who are we drafting?!
I would like tackle or Watt. 2nd round TE

edit
crazy we passed on a lot of good LB prospects yet again. dont know why we keep ignoring LB in first 2 rounds.

i would rather draft a TE in round 2-4 and let that guy battle with adams for starting spot. or just keep Ellison to block 90% of the time.

giants were top in the league in running 3 WR sets past few seasons that plus bum RB jennings and oline had us among worst rushing teams in the NFL. looks like they are changing their offense game plan. signing Ellison i thought since we were a 3 WR set team, he would only be on field 25% but i'm thinking they will be 2 TE set team 1st and 2nd down 90% of the time. more play action, Ellison to help the LT issue that we failed to address. not bad idea but we can't expect shep to take leap in year 2. i think he only sees field on 3rd down now.

i love how people compare Engram to Reed. hmmmm skins found Reed in 3rd round and developed him. granted, giants want someone to leap development stage but 1st round pick he needs to make impact from day 1.

tomlinson looks to be instant starter, strong run stopping and had 40 pressures in college and wicked smart.

QB Webb. i'm cool with drafting QBs every season until Eli is gone. keep swinging but 3rd round pick? no guards or tackles they could have picked there? LB?

jerod Evans and bucky hodges are 2 players i'll be watching see how their careers go....hopefully the guys we got are studs.

hopefully reese and co can find some talent in later rounds we need those guys win like we had in past 2 super bowls.

Last edited:
Still no 2017 thread??

Well damn.

Um, mixed feelings about the draft. I like Engram and I do think he will be productive but I did want us to go get us a tackle. I understand that the tackle we needed probably wasn't in this draft class so, we addressed other needs.

We shored up our defensive front four with Dalvin Tomlinson. Which is good I guess given the fact that we have to deal with the Cowboys twice a year so we need to remain prudent about stopping (limiting) the run.

I did want a better talent than Wayne Gallman at RB, I would've rather had Jamaal Williams or better yet, one of either Joe Mixon or Dalvin Cook but I guess we're going forward with Perkins who I personally am not a believer of. He's not particularly fast, nor shifty, nor strong but maybe he can develop the nuances in his game to be effective.

IDK, could've been better. Not sure how to feel about Davis Webb. Feel like we could've held off for another year before drafting a QB.

I understand that the tackle we needed probably wasn't in this draft class so, we addressed other needs.

yup keep hearing that this was not a good deep draft for oline but there will certainly be good maybe even great ones playing for other teams.

the more i think about the more i can't believe we are going into the season with this line.

To me they didnt address needs this offseason. whats better signing, ellison, Marshall resigning jerry OR sign LT Whitworth?! You sign Whitworth then you can draft TE round one or LB then trade up to draft Lamp round 2(or keep hart at guard) Oline of Whitworth Pugh Richburg Lamp Flowers and hart & fluker backups would have been amazing for this team.

fine you couldnt get Whitworth some how(someone needs to ask Reese why he didnt go after him) but how do you not take a tackle in first 2 rounds? We have NO plan B if flowers is the exact same player this season. From what i see today, there is no one they can bench flowers and put in. Hart couldnt handle RT and Fluker was cut by chargers. whats done is done but they need to trade for a LT(joe Thomas) or sign some vets if any decent ones get cut.

i think if giants miss playoffs and reason is hung on that oline Reese loses his job. i been a big backer of his but to bet on Flowers to take leap in year 3 was foolish.

the good thing about the moves of Marshall and Engram is depth at play makers to go with OBJ and shep and wow when we go 4 or 5 wide on 2 min drill how do teams cover us.

We wlll see.

Last edited:
I like Engram but I wanted Dalvin Cook or Joe Mixon but knew we wouldn't go there even though they were perfect for us.

I wanted an OL but everyone said this was a terrible draft for OL so I'm not mad we didn't draft any. TE was another need so that's cool.

I thought we would draft the LB Cunningham because they really liked him and we need an LB but oh well.

I hate the Webb pick. Don't think he's good, think it'll be Nassib all over again.

Team has a lot of talent but really needs OL work.

I hate the Webb pick. Don't think he's good, think it'll be Nassib all over again.

yea that 3rd round pick could have been used better. 2 picks before webb pats picked a 4 year starter LT that didnt allow a sack his final 2 years at USC.

giants traded up for a tackle in the 6th round but couldnt find a way to do that earlier? they didnt like the value of tackles that much?

ryan clady is still out there worth getting him on the cheap if we can.

I guess realistically, w/ the way the CBA and practice time is, we probably weren't going to fix our line with just this draft, but I'm not optimistic going into next year. We had a bottom 10 offense that wouldve been even worse if not for Odell turning 7 yd slants into 70 yd tds. We only have 2 offensive lineman that should even be NFL starters (Pugh, Richburg), and Richburg was pretty bad in the run game last yr, despite him playing thru injury.

It's crazy to me that we're counting on Bobby Hart, DJ Fluker, and Ereck Flowers to be starters. We might have the worst offensive line in the league other than Seattle, and maybe the Jets. All the star skill players in the world can't help if there's nowhere to run and no time to get open.

yea need someone at the very least to threaten flowers for his LT spot. as it stands now if he plays the exact same way he doesnt lose his job. How can a guy going into his 3rd year have such a lock at his position? no other team is going to the season giving a player who was bottom of the league at their position past 2 seasons a starting job with NO backup that can challenge him. at least with RG and RT we have competition.

as reese has stated many times flowers is a young man. he just turned 23. I would guess not many LTs have had as many starts before turning 23. but come on man block someone!!!! we are so close to being a great team. just be an avg LT

Last edited:
Interesting about richburg heard he played the season hurt but didnt think it impacted him that much. Run game has to improve, even if the online doesnt......Jennings had NO business being starting RB in the NFL. Where is he now? ohhh dancing nice. if the giants cut him month before the season ended no team picks him up. took the giants 15 games to figure that out. i feel good about the RBs going into the season.

For those at home keeping count. Past 2 seasons, 2 players after the season giants didnt want to bring back could not latch on to another team. Rueben Randle and Rashad Jennings. Lets hope Flowers does not keep the trend going.

Jeremy Fowler
The 25-and-under stars primed for big paydays
Weston Richburg, C, New York Giants

While guard Justin Pugh prepares to play on his fifth-year option, Richburg might beat Pugh to the obligatory pen-to-contract picture on social media. Richburg is a skilled pass protector and a trusted Eli Manning soldier who played through a torn ligament in his snapping hand in 2016. Westburg's run-blocking dipped from fourth to 29th in the league among centers, according to Pro Football Focus, but let's assume the hand issue played a part in that. With former first-round tackle Ereck Flowers struggling to make the NFL transition, the Giants will place a premium on steady performers up front. Plus, center money isn't outrageous. The average per-year payout for the top-10 centers is $7.9 million. The Giants acknowledged last summer that Richburg was a candidate for an extension, and it might happen this summer.

Last edited:
Friday, May 12, 2017
Giants provide latest reason for optimism with left tackle Ereck Flowers
By Jordan Raanan

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants have been staunchly optimistic about their young offensive tackles this offseason. Their actions -- adding a low-cost option in free agency and waiting until the sixth round of the draft to select an offensive lineman -- back up their words.

They have noted on several occasions that third-year tackle Ereck Flowers spent a large part of the offseason working out at the team facility. Offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan added Bobby Hart to that mix, too.

Sullivan even cited a noticeable change in Flowers, the Giants’ left tackle who struggled the past two seasons.

“I will just say this, it has been documented that both Ereck and Bobby have spent a lot of time here in East Rutherford working out in the weight room,” Sullivan said Friday during the first day of rookie minicamp. “When you see Ereck, his body looks a lot leaner.

“So, obviously, it’s very early and we haven’t had a chance to practice against the defense yet, but you do see some increased quickness and I’m just very, very pleased that both young men have made that commitment to try to improve their game physically, do the things they need to do for their bodies to mature and grow. They’re both still young players. We’re very excited about seeing what they are going to do once the competition steps up and we’re out there in minicamp and OTAs and such forth.”

Flowers is listed at 6-foot-6, 329 pounds.

The Giants are in Phase 2 of the offseason workout program. They’ll enter the final stage a week from Monday, when they can do offense-vs.-defense drills that will give them a better idea of the progress their young tackles have made.

Right now, they’re limited with what they can do and the evaluations they can make.

“We actually have had them on the field versus Frank Air,” Sullivan joked. “We haven’t been able to have the defense out there so Frank Air is the defender. But the thing is we are able to see the pass set, the initial quickness.”

So far so good for Flowers and Hart. Of course, it’s early, and the Giants have some contingencies in place just in case.

They signed former first-round pick D.J. Fluker this offseason. They drafted Adam Bisnowaty in the sixth round out of Pittsburgh. They signed Chad Wheeler and Jessamen Dunker as promising undrafted free agents who may have had draftable grades if not for off-the-field issues.

The Giants got their first look at Bisnowaty, Wheeler and Dunker on the field Friday when they opened rookie minicamp. Fluker has been working with the team since the start of the offseason program last month.

It’s something, but it’s not a full evaluation.

“You have to be careful evaluating players running around in their underwear,” coach Ben McAdoo said on Friday.

Bill Barnwell Grades Giants offseason. I concur........
why haven't the giants signed the jets cast offs clady mangold? doesnt seem like there is $ out there for them they can come cheap. Why not add them and create competition. Mangold can't out play Fluker and Jerry for RG? I bet he would and if not at least be a better backup. Clady can't beat out bobby heart? i'm sure he can and Fluker for RT at worse he is better back up LT RT than what we will have.

figure giants will keep 9-10 olinemen

Safe
Pugh, Justin G
Flowers, Ereck T
Richburg, Weston C
Jerry, John G
Hart, Bobby G/T

likely
Fluker, D.J. OG
Bisnowaty, Adam OT
Jones, Brett C

1 of 2 should make the roster as is
Wheeler, Chad OT
Dunker, Jessamen OT

I would cut jones add mangold and cut whoever is worse clady fluker...... if clady is healthy his talent he would likely be the best tackle on the roster. yes if healthy is a big if. what i like about it is. tell him and hart you guys are fighting for RT spot may best man win. If clady does well enough to win great then we have hart backup RT and clady back up LT. if he sucks or is hurt cut him no big deal. we have like 4-5 mil in cap space offer mangold and clady 1.5 mil each and lets go!

Clady twice has made all pro team in AFC at LT once at 23 and at 26. why not gamble a few mil on him jerry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES you read that right Clady at 23 age that flowers is at now, Clady was the best LT in AFC.

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHO IS OUR LT IF flowers SUCKS or GETS HURT? AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

New York Giants

What went right

They added weapons for Eli Manning. There were too many moments last season when the Giants were Odell Beckham-or-bust on offense. Some of that could be attributed to a dismal running game, but the Giants needed to upgrade on Victor Cruz and Will Tye in their starting lineup. They pulled off both additions. First, general manager Jerry Reese signed Brandon Marshall to an eminently reasonable two-year deal, with Marshall taking less money to stay in New York after being released by the Jets. On draft night, Reese used his first-round pick on tight end Evan Engram, giving the Giants another excellent athlete to work with in the passing game. Sure, Beckham is still going to create moments of pure magic on his own, but now he and Manning will have more help.

What went wrong

They failed to address a dismal offensive line. For the second season in a row, the Giants' offense was rendered irrelevant at times by a porous offensive line. Inexplicably, for the second year in a row, Reese did close to nothing to address the issue. New York lost another regular in Marshall Newhouse, and the reinforcements Reese brought in are underwhelming. Free-agent signee D.J. Fluker failed at tackle before settling in as a mediocre guard in San Diego, and the first and only draft selection Reese used on a lineman was a sixth-round pick on Adam Bisnowaty. After a season in which the Giants ranked 26th in rushing DVOA and averaged just 3.5 yards per rush attempt, you would think Reese would have put more of an emphasis on re-signing offensive linemen.

Jason Pierre-Paul is the first first-round pick under general manager Jerry Reese to sign a long-term second deal with the team. Mark Alberti/Icon Sportswire
They re-signed Jason Pierre-Paul to an exorbitant deal and let Jonathan Hankins leave. While 2016 was arguably JPP's best season as a run-defender and a major upgrade on the player he was during a limited 2015 campaign, Pierre-Paul is now 28 years old and already has back surgery and the effects of that traumatic fireworks disaster on his medical history. It's reasonable for the Giants to want him around, but it seemed irresponsible to throw a staggering $40 million in guarantees at a player with two double-digit-sack campaigns as a pro, especially in a year when the draft was full of edge rushers and defensive linemen.

As for the situation on the interior, it's debatable whether the Giants should have brought Hankins back at the three-year, $27 million rate he picked up from the Colts. Even for the Giants, committing to Hankins would have been devoting too many resources to the defensive line, given that Pierre-Paul, Olivier Vernon and Damon Harrison are on all massive deals. It was surprising, though, to see the Giants nominally replace Hankins by drafting Alabama nose tackle Dalvin Tomlinson in the second round. He profiles, essentially, as Harrison: a two-down, interior run-stopper who is limited as a pass-rusher. Having one of those guys is good. But two? Not so much.

What's next?

Re-sign Justin Pugh and Weston Richburg. As bad as the Giants' offensive line is, it would get significantly worse if Reese were to allow his two best linemen to leave in free agency next offseason. Locking Pugh up before the guard market took a huge leap forward this offseason would have been prudent, given his ability to step outside and play right tackle.

Richburg, who has been overshadowed by the presence of Travis Frederick in the same division, should also attract upper-echelon-center money if he hits the free-agent market after his rookie deal expires this season. The Giants already have $156 million committed to their 2018 cap before signing Pugh or Richburg, and they have to lock up Beckham, who will be a free agent in 2019. Given those factors, they might not have long-term deals for the offense's two competent linemen in their plans.

Grade: C-

Last edited:
on one hand want summer to slow down and not be over before you know it on other hand can't wait for football.

Saturday, June 10, 2017
How first-round pick Evan Engram impressed at the Giants' OTAs
By Jordan Raanan

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Three weeks of organized team activities are in the books. The New York Giants ran 10 voluntary practices, without Odell Beckham Jr. and Olivier Vernon at any. Plenty was accomplished without them.

"We got a lot of teaching and learning done," coach Ben McAdoo said after Friday's final OTA. "That is the goal, and it looks like we have some chemistry going."

To recap OTAs, here are some observations:
OTAs are designed to focus on the rookies and new players. First-round pick Evan Engram was among the group that needed to learn the system, figure out where the cafeteria was located and get integrated into the Giants' program. He impressed on and off the field.

Engram made the kind of play during Friday's practice that has the Giants excited he can contribute immediately to the offense. Linebacker Jonathan Casillas was draped on his hip as he ran downfield near the left hash. Engram, an uber-athletic tight end, jumped and caught the ball directly over Casillas.

"He's such a dynamic player playing the tight end position with his skill set," Casillas said afterward.

At OTAs, Evan Engram showed flashes of the dynamic skill set that made him attractive to the Giants in the first round.
Long-snapper Zak DeOssie raved about a similar play by Engram early in OTAs. The rookie clearly has shown flashes.

"I think, again, we are excited about the young man," McAdoo said. "He has a tremendous skill set to do a lot of different things for you. He shows that he is willing as a blocker. Now we have to get some pads on him and get his fundamentals right there. He is a conscientious young man; he works hard at football and seems to enjoy it.

"He does a nice job in the meetings at this point and I think that he will get better as time goes on. ... [For] success in this business nowadays, meetings are pretty important. The good players do well in meetings and can take it on the field because there is just not as much time on the field as there used to be."

The early, early reviews on Engram have been positive.
The media was allowed in to watch three of the 10 OTAs. In those practices, there were a lot of dropped passes by the running backs. Paul Perkins let a bunny slip through his hands in each of the first two workouts. Rookie Wayne Gallman had a couple of drops as well. Khalid Abdullah, too. It's definitely something to watch as the summer progresses. Good thing Shane Vereen says he's feeling good and taking it slowly this time after twice tearing his triceps last year. He remains the Giants' best pass-catching option out of the backfield.
McAdoo downplayed it, but the Giants certainly looked to be more multiple on offense at OTAs, unlike last season when they ran 90-plus percent of their plays with three wide receivers. Tight end Matt LaCosse said it appeared to him they were working on more two-tight-end sets than in the past. There were also plenty of jumbo sets Friday, with two tight ends and a fullback.

This should make some of McAdoo's biggest critics happy. The Giants appear willing to adjust their offense to some degrees this season.
The tight end group is a major reason for the possible changes in the offense. The Giants appear to be significantly more talented and well-rounded at the position. Engram adds a different level of pass-catching threat. Rhett Ellison, even though he was sidelined most of the spring with calf soreness, will bring a blocking element they were missing. And LaCosse, back after missing all of last season with a knee injury, can help in both areas with his all-around skill set.

"I think that top to bottom it is a competitive group," McAdoo said. "I think we have guys with different skill sets, and they are comfortable in their roles and they are willing to grow into other roles if need be."

It could change the look of the entire Giants offense after they struggled badly at the position with their blocking and lack of production in the passing game last year.
Other notables:
Davis Webb really held his own for a mid-round rookie coming from an unconventional offense with little resemblance to the NFL game. He looked comfortable, flashed a strong arm -- especially on a deep throw to wide receiver Kevin Snead 30 yards downfield on Friday -- and didn't look the slightest bit overwhelmed. The third-rounder impressed.
D.J. Fluker is entrenched as a guard right now. He remained at guard even with right tackle Bobby Hart not at the final few OTAs. Rookie Adam Bisnowaty, not Fluker, stepped in with the first team in Hart's absence.
Sterling Shepard is again having a strong spring. Maybe it's in part because Beckham was not on the field and Shepard's opportunities increased. Still, he caught everything and inspired confidence that he'll be even better in his second professional season. Shepard looks like a real weapon out of the slot.
Darian Thompson is returning from a foot injury that forced him to miss most of his rookie season. He's going to face real competition for a starting spot from Andrew Adams. The Giants had them split first-team reps at OTAs.
It's B.J. Goodson's job to lose at middle linebacker. He received a lot of reps at OTAs.
Ereck Flowers does appear leaner. We'll see if it equates to improved performance. The Giants believe fatigue contributed to some of his technique problems late in games last year.
Wide receiver Tavarres King received a lot of first-team reps at OTAs and seemed to always be making plays. He should get more playing time as the Giants' fourth receiver.
The Giants have moved some players around this spring. Defensive tackle Jarron Jones was getting a look at left tackle on Friday. Meanwhile, defensive end Stansly Maponga has been moved to linebacker and linebacker Eric Pinkins is now a safety.

can someone who posts regularly create a 2017 thread.
camp starts soon off season is OVER
lets go giants!

Sterling Shepherd was carted off the field today. Mac will address the media at 1. This is a huge blow to our offense. ****

looks like just a sprained ankle :smile:
shep made a ig post that seems he is happy on the news.....

just read this on espn....oline not looking good.....fab duo
Other practice notables:

• The last two days reinforced that the Giants may have trouble at offensive tackle. Some of the technique flaws that plagued Ereck Flowers in pass protection last season have resurfaced at camp. His hands get wide, body weight out of sorts (which causes a lean) and his punch is nonexistent. Vernon is having his way with the left tackle.

Hart had a rough afternoon Thursday after a strong practice Friday. Aside from his intense yelling match with Harrison, Hart also jumped offside and had a handful of bad reps. He was beaten badly off the edge by Jason Pierre-Paul on one play and pushed deep into the backfield on another. Pierre-Paul also had a batted pass. Hart had a much more productive day Wednesday when Pierre-Paul had the day off.

giants allowed 7 sacks friday and watts bro had 2 of them the same bro we passed up on in the draft....

if flowers get abused tonight get pugh snaps in practice at LT he has to be our plan B since we didnt do ANYTHING behind flowers

Back
Top Bottom