News On Future Films Based on Comics/Paranormal/Sci-Fi

I'd like to hear what you wanted to see in Cap and Thor that Evans and Hemsworth didn't deliver, this isn't to prolong an argument, I really am curious.

I thought Evans did well considering he has been labeled as this jokester and plenty did not want to take him seriously especially after playing the goofy Human Torch. His performance, not a Oscar-worthy by any stretch, did make me take him seriously. And Evans is actually a good actor, watch The Iceman (with Shannon/Zod) to see what he can deliver.

I thought Hemsworth did well too, Loki/Hiddleston stole the show but I thought he gave us a believable Thor. I had no complaints, he came off cocky in the beginning and a guy who has changed by the end of the film.

Dialogues may not be page for page accurate but I really had no complaint. I am in no way a purist but the character still has to feel and look like the characters and Evans and Hemsworth did that in my point of view. These films really doesn't have to be Oscar caliber films but even then I wouldn't say the acting was sub-par.

Last edited:
I thought hemsworth was good as Thor.. Thought the movie could have been better.. But thoroughly enjoyed the cast.. And enjoyed the movie a lot more on 2nd viewing, still think it could have been better though..

Same for cap.. Although I was a bit apprehensive about Evans as cap because of his previous work.. But he did well and was believable

I thought Cap and Thor both did better than I expected. I didn't think they would interest me but they both did just that. I enjoyed the origin aspect, they explained enough to someone like me who hasn't read the comics and didn't get too out there with characters and what not. I thought they were both casted well and I'm excited for what they do next.

I def think Cap is a B- rated hero.
Can touch the fore mentioned Spidey, Bat, Hulk, Supes. Those guys have had great writers and there powers and abilities are damn cool

You have to be trolling by calling the 90s Captain America much better, I haven't met a single person who enjoys that film

I'd like to hear what you wanted to see in Cap and Thor that Evans and Hemsworth didn't deliver, this isn't to prolong an argument, I really am curious.

I thought Evans did well considering he has been labeled as this jokester and plenty did not want to take him seriously especially after playing the goofy Human Torch. His performance, not a Oscar-worthy by any stretch, did make me take him seriously. And Evans is actually a good actor, watch The Iceman (with Shannon/Zod) to see what he can deliver.

I thought Hemsworth did well too, Loki/Hiddleston stole the show but I thought he gave us a believable Thor. I had no complaints, he came off cocky in the beginning and a guy who has changed by the end of the film.

Dialogues may not be page for page accurate but I really had no complaint. I am in no way a purist but the character still has to feel and look like the characters and Evans and Hemsworth did that in my point of view. These films really doesn't have to be Oscar caliber films but even then I wouldn't say the acting was sub-par.

as for cap, for me it just wasn't believable, something about when he was in the suit and also when he was first introduced to be part of the program, i just couldn't buy into. something about the cheesy comedy lines kills it for me. i'd have to watch it again.

and for thor, just the way he acted it was just did not feel like a superhero. more like a grungy mechanic from another planet.

it's just my opinion. i really don't watch movie so i'm really good at being very detailed such as camera angles and all that. but it's just not believable. i don't buy into it. you guys probably did, and that's why we disagree.

Captain America is not an A list hero to the real world when comics get brought up. He's THE guy in the comics of Marvel as far as being that hero to look up to but in our reality he's not in demand. When it comes to Marvel, it's Spidey, Wolverine/X-Men, and Hulk for the most part. It's only as of the past decade Marvel's big 3 (Cap, Iron Man, and Thor) have gotten the needed boost in popularity. End of the day Thor was an unknown and poorly promoted (had he been handled well from like the mid 80s on he could've been as popular as the name Hercules is), Iron Man was poorly promoted and the tech wasn't good enough to make his power as good as it could be, and Cap is a dude wrapped in the flag that throws a shield accurately (you need high caliber stories at a consistent basis to get him to A list. Marvel got a chance if they take his best stories and retool them for modern day and/or just use Brubaker's approach).

I'll put it to you like this. If Marvel had the rights to Spider-Man and Wolverine, they would've been in the Avengers and it probably would've ended up being the highest grossing film of all time. Probably in the 4-6 billion dollar range.

I thought Cap and Thor both did better than I expected. I didn't think they would interest me but they both did just that. I enjoyed the origin aspect, they explained enough to someone like me who hasn't read the comics and didn't get too out there with characters and what not. I thought they were both casted well and I'm excited for what they do next.
nailed it.

Went in to both with an open mind, relatively low expectations especially after the IM2 debacle.

Did a good job introducing the characters and kept me relatively entertained. Loved the performances of Hemsworth and Evans and both supporting casts.

Captain America is not an A list hero to the real world when comics get brought up. He's THE guy in the comics of Marvel as far as being that hero to look up to but in our reality he's not in demand. When it comes to Marvel, it's Spidey, Wolverine/X-Men, and Hulk for the most part. It's only as of the past decade Marvel's big 3 (Cap, Iron Man, and Thor) have gotten the needed boost in popularity. End of the day Thor was an unknown and poorly promoted (had he been handled well from like the mid 80s on he could've been as popular as the name Hercules is), Iron Man was poorly promoted and the tech wasn't good enough to make his power as good as it could be, and Cap is a dude wrapped in the flag that throws a shield accurately (you need high caliber stories at a consistent basis to get him to A list. Marvel got a chance if they take his best stories and retool them for modern day and/or just use Brubaker's approach).

I'll put it to you like this. If Marvel had the rights to Spider-Man and Wolverine, they would've been in the Avengers and it probably would've ended up being the highest grossing film of all time. Probably in the 4-6 billion dollar range.

here's the thing though, besides the action what was the avengers?

Funny jokes, quips, lots of sarcasm, and other over your head type jokes. I mean I thought it was great for what it was and a more than solid blueprint for future superhero films but it was no TDK (I specifically say that movie and not the trilogy). Different lanes and styles.

Not that that question has much to do with Cap not being A list.

i guess you guys look for the flash, explosions, smoke, and effects before the acting, and you're entitled to that.

but i honestly, don't see it that way.

It was a well-written, well-paced and ensemble story that leaves the arc open for future films/possibilities. It is also well acted, RDJ delivered the same way he delivers in IM films, which is always the highlight of the films. The rest of the cast delivered what was needed of them, again Evans was believable when serious. Scarlett acted well too, the scene where she fooled Loki, that was very good acting to switch up from emotions in an instant. I'd be tempted to call you a liar if you say you weren't sold there for a second. Hiddleston as Loki was good as usual. Whedon did well considering it could have been a huge disaster putting all those heroes together.

I think you are simply underestimating the acting, do not come to the film expecting Denzel to deliver a "kinking and got nothing on me" performance, that isn't what the film is and if you come looking for that, then you already hated the film before even seeing opening credits. But really, acting isn't bad at all. You mentioned Hopkins performance being the best but Hiddleston gave the best performance in that film hands down, he simply stole it. Same way Fassbender pretty much took the 1st Class film and made it his own. Those are good performances and if you can't see it then I don't know what else to say.

In Cap, if Evans even made you forget that he was the goofy Human Torch or any of the comedic roles he has been in, then that is good acting.

I am not trying to convince you because really it is subjective and there is no changing your opinion but you really have to go in with an open mind and do not expect Daniel Day Lewis performance in there or else you are doomed to hate all these films. And for someone who wants acting first, liking the 90's Cap seems ridiculous. I just watched a few clips on Youtube (you can actually watch the whole film there) and it is just terrible, not even in a "it old and cheesy" terrible, it is just plain terrible.

Last edited:
i guess you guys look for the flash, explosions, smoke, and effects before the acting, and you're entitled to that.

but i honestly, don't see it that way.
I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

What's the best acting superhero film to you then? Cuz I'm pretty sure it could get picked apart easily for the acting in it.
But the acting wasn't bad
Basically.

Dude acting like the Marvel films have consisted of poor acting and directing.

Last edited:
well of course, the acting is not atrocious. but i'm just not sold. and most likely that's the problem. at times, downey jr. does well then he kills it with little jokes that i feel shouldn't be there at that moment. same goes for most marvel movies.

i'm underestimating it, i'm just expecting more. why not hire the best actors out there? that's what nolan has done. that's why it's substance. not quantity over quality. that's what i don't understand. they are jumping bumping stuff out there as soon as possible instead of actually creating quality.

and that's the thing i did my best to get over evans and it just didn't work.

well, why can't i expect the best? for me, i just don't see it any other movie. the thing is i rarely watch movies so when i do, i expect great. not subpar/alright.

the thing is the captain america 90's movie has better acting then the modern one IMO. but like you say it's subjective. had the captain america movie of 1990 been acquired with the technology they have today it probably would have been better.

i'm underestimating it, i'm just expecting more. why not hire the best actors out there? that's what nolan has done. that's why it's substance. not quantity over quality. that's what i don't understand. they are jumping bumping stuff out there as soon as possible instead of actually creating quality.

This just makes no sense what so ever. You don't think every film out there doesn't want a Leo or a Brad or a Clooney or a DDL? I mean come on, you want the best actors in every film? That is just insane. :lol:

well, why can't i expect the best? for me, i just don't see it any other movie. the thing is i rarely watch movies so when i do, i expect great. not subpar/alright.

And this really is your downfall. No one is saying these films were great, hell most are saying it is just "good" or "good enough" for an origin film but you seem to say it is awful and it really isn't. Watch Daredevil, Punisher, GL, etc... if you want downright awful. You can expect the best but you are looking for an Oscar performance in a comic book film? TDK had good acting but if it were so great as you said, why was there one acting nomination in the trilogy? And even though I loved Ledgers Joker performance, if he were still alive today, I am not sure he would have won. Again, coming in to a comic book summer blockbuster film expecting to come out with a revelation or life changing performance is a big mistake.

And no, nothing could saved that 90's Cap America film. I mean Matt Salinger is the main star for gods sake, acting was simply not good, so terrible dude has never been in anything relevant ever since.

But whatever, let's move on.

well of course, the acting is not atrocious. but i'm just not sold. and most likely that's the problem. at times, downey jr. does well then he kills it with little jokes that i feel shouldn't be there at that moment. same goes for most marvel movies.

and that's the thing i did my best to get over evans and it just didn't work.

the thing is the captain america 90's movie has better acting then the modern one IMO. but like you say it's subjective. had the captain america movie of 1990 been acquired with the technology they have today it probably would have been better.

You can't be serious

the thing is, i remember being a kid wanting marvel movies then when i finally got the news that they were coming out i was joyous. then when they actually came out, i was still young so of course it was good. but then i got older and grew out of it and saw it more objectively and realized how mediocre they were.

of course they are not as bad as daredevil and punisher but in my eyes they are not wayyy better.

and you will never see a comic book movie be nominated for an oscar. which is why dark knight is miles and miles ahead of all comic book movies that have came out. it seems as though, marvel is catering for younger audiences. while DC is more adult (minus green lantern)

to each his own though

carry on

Last edited:
Hope you ain't talkin' about this Cap

Last edited:
the thing is, i remember being a kid wanting marvel movies then when i finally got the news that they were coming out i was joyous. then when they actually came out, i was still young so of course it was good. but then i got older and grew out of it and saw it more objectively and realized how mediocre they were.

of course they are not as bad as daredevil and punisher but in my eyes they are not wayyy better.

and you will never see a comic book movie be nominated for an oscar. which is why dark knight is miles and miles ahead of all comic book movies that have came out. it seems as though, marvel is catering for younger audiences. while DC is more adult (minus green lantern)

to each his own though

carry on

You do know it was Heath ledger's portrayal of the joker that got the Oscar and not the actual film

Back
Top Bottom