NFL/NCAA Feet & Gear: '13-'14 Seasons Football Equipment/Cleats/Gloves/Jerseys etc.

That was my first thought.  ZERO protection if anyone ever stepped on your foot.
I would also like to see some of that orange. I also just saw these, just so everyone knows ahead of time I know they are probably fakes but would cool to see. Nike Kobe 9 cleats. good competitor for the Under Armour Highlight MC if you ask me.

View media item 768459

Obviously a fake, and a bad one at that; someone clearly just photoshopped a TD plate onto the Kobe 9 Elites.

The issue isn't so much protection on top of the foot as much as the amount of potential damage these could do to your ACL, MCL, etc. should you be hit from the side. While at first glance the highlights would offer similar lockdown, the additional carbon fiber heel plate--on top of the hight top cut--on the Kobe 9s would likely inhibit one's ability to take a hit and instead keep their foot planted. That is why you don't see carbon fiber heel plates on football cleats, i.e. the Jordan XX8 cleat.

Obviously a fake, and a bad one at that; someone clearly just photoshopped a TD plate onto the Kobe 9 Elites.

The issue isn't so much protection on top of the foot as much as the amount of potential damage these could do to your ACL, MCL, etc. should you be hit from the side. While at first glance the highlights would offer similar lockdown, the additional carbon fiber heel plate--on top of the hight top cut--on the Kobe 9s would likely inhibit one's ability to take a hit and instead keep their foot planted. That is why you don't see carbon fiber heel plates on football cleats, i.e. the Jordan XX8 cleat.
That didn't make any sense what so ever. Carbon Fiber is stronger and lighter than TPU.  Its also way more expensive. THAT's why you don't see it in football cleats. There is no need for it because if used it would be covered up by either synthetic leather or painted. Heal counters are what stabilizes your foot to the footbed.  The Kobe 9s are solid in that regard just like every other Kobe.

Last edited:
Hahaha. Well that escalated quickly! I just thought they looked cool knowing they'd never be a reality. But all of that input is very well thought out.

I talked to a nike rep about the vapor shield gloves that were supposedly gonna drop today. They had no info on them and the site with all the info on the super bowl gear doesn't have them releasing on 1/27 anymore either. :frown: They were probably gonna be $150 anyways.

They fit similarly to the vapor carbons for me, which is true to size. I wore 9s for vapor jet 4.2, vapor carbons, and the talon elites, for reference. I like that the tongue is attached like the vapor carbons/jet 4.2, unlike the vapor talons. creates a better fit IMO.

They fit similarly to the vapor carbons for me, which is true to size. I wore 9s for vapor jet 4.2, vapor carbons, and the talon elites, for reference. I like that the tongue is attached like the vapor carbons/jet 4.2, unlike the vapor talons. creates a better fit IMO.

thanks Jay, i thought because of the attached tongue on the vapor carbon fly 1 and 2, it made a lot of people get a half size bigger. Only cleats that i didnt have to get a 10.5 in were the vapor talons which i got a TTS 10 in, I also could have worn a 9.5 too in those. Man i hope youre right or im going to be stuck with a 10.

Last edited:
i didn't know that's why people went up .5 size. I never had a problem jamming my foot into the 9 with those, I know some people cut the tongue so that it wouldn't be as attached, so I guess that's always an option.

When I get home I'm gonna compare them to my old chrome 4.2s, they don't strike me as being nearly as bright/flashy. But they do look pretty awesome regardless.

i didn't know that's why people went up .5 size. I never had a problem jamming my foot into the 9 with those, I know some people cut the tongue so that it wouldn't be as attached, so I guess that's always an option.

When I get home I'm gonna compare them to my old chrome 4.2s, they don't strike me as being nearly as bright/flashy. But they do look pretty awesome regardless.

lol yessir they do, nothing beats silver/chrome not even gold imo. maybe VOLT.

That didn't make any sense what so ever. Carbon Fiber is stronger and lighter than TPU.  Its also way more expensive. THAT's why you don't see it in football cleats. There is no need for it because if used it would be covered up by either synthetic leather or painted. Heal counters are what stabilizes your foot to the footbed.  The Kobe 9s are solid in that regard just like every other Kobe.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying: a carbon fiber heel counter on high top and low top cleats are superfluous, as you said. However, they would also be risky on high tops because they would restrict the natural movement of your legs being uprooted after a hit.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying: a carbon fiber heel counter on high top and low top cleats are superfluous, as you said. However, they would also be risky on high tops because they would restrict the natural movement of your legs being uprooted after a hit.
 Do you mean a heel counter is superfluous or a CF heel counter.  The only reason you would use a CF heel counter is because its lighter weight. But its not that much lighter so you want to be able to see it so that its a good visual as well. That's why every shoe that has CF you can see it.  Otherwise no one will care nor want to pay the extra money because its hidden.  EVERY shoe has a heel counter.  The heel counter is intact what makes your foot stay on the footbed which is in fact is the number 1 thing that prevents you from rolling your ankle.  High tops do in fact have heel counters too lol.  The only shoes that don't are flip flops.

Maybe you're confused at what the heel counter is????? I'm trying to understand.

just picked up my cleats at niketown NYC. also picked these up - clearly not for everyone but they look sweet in person:
Any pics of the Cleats? 
nerd.gif

Did Nike Rep chat online and they said my preorder should ship out either tonight or tomorrow morning. They're already packed up ready for UPS to take them according to "Bianca". Hope they get here by Wednesday so I can wear them to my game and take them for a spin.

ask and you shall receive...it comes with a volt bag, which looks kinda washed out prob due to my office lighting. the black parts of the shoe are reasonably colorful with the holographic stuff, and the only thing i'd really say is it would've looked better to make most of the bottom chrome and then have a strip or section showing the carbon, rather than just a strip of chrome.View media item 769918View media item 769919View media item 769920View media item 769921

Thanks for the photos. They look great. TTS or half size up?

discussed slightly earlier in the thread - TTS for me, but I also wore the same size for vapor jet 4.2, vapor carbons, and talon elites so i may not be the best comparison. but the fit is more like the vapor carbon with the tongue being attached to the shoe.

discussed slightly earlier in the thread - TTS for me, but I also wore the same size for vapor jet 4.2, vapor carbons, and talon elites so i may not be the best comparison. but the fit is more like the vapor carbon with the tongue being attached to the shoe.

Ya i know it has been discussed, I just wanted to get another opinion and you have been in this thread over the many years that I have. That is strange that you are the same size for all. I am a 9.5 for older Nike models and Talons, but a 10 for Vapor Jet 4.2s or Carbons. I have to do a size up for the tongue-less shoes.

So due to my constant sizing paranoia (I like my shoes completely snug, especially cleats) I always order 2 sizes and return one.

Do you mean a heel counter is superfluous or a CF heel counter.  The only reason you would use a CF heel counter is because its lighter weight. But its not that much lighter so you want to be able to see it so that its a good visual as well. That's why every shoe that has CF you can see it.  Otherwise no one will care nor want to pay the extra money because its hidden.  EVERY shoe has a heel counter.  The heel counter is intact what makes your foot stay on the footbed which is in fact is the number 1 thing that prevents you from rolling your ankle.  High tops do in fact have heel counters too lol.  The only shoes that don't are flip flops.

Maybe you're confused at what the heel counter is????? I'm trying to understand.

Truth be told, I was kind of talking out of my ***. You seem to know what you are talking about, and I admit I am probably wrong.

Truth be told, I was kind of talking out of my ***. You seem to know what you are talking about, and I admit I am probably wrong.
I could see why you would think that about the flynit material. It would be different than the running shoes.  They would have reinforcement where needed.  The main thing I see though is the contact from other cleats.  Even our football socks are padded more!

Back
Top Bottom