NFL Week 5 In Review...

Let's not forget the Jets had their chance to sign Darrelle Revis this offseason. They were actually his first choice after the Bucs released him (Pats were 2nd). Rex wanted him...management said no.

Could've had dude back on a reasonable 1 year deal after trading him away the previous season for a 1st and 3rd. They drop the ball, stay $20M under the cap, and now they're in this mess.

Revis wouldn't have fixed all their issues, but he plugs up a huge hole and you keep him away from a division rival.

Rex & Geno were set up to fail.
Sure but Revis is on a big one year deal and hasn't exactly been lighting it up for the Pats.  It's not like this team is about to contend—they need to be looking at long term solutions.  

There are lots of criticisms to be leveled but not signing a bunch of random FAs isn't the right one.  Should they have done what the Bucs did?  The Raiders?  How did that work out?  They should have signed Byrd like New Orleans?  Revis like the Pats?  What have those moves done so far?  They were supposed to be one of the worst teams in football last year...  That roster has crazy holes that will take time to fill.

Problem is the local media HATES the Jets and the Jets fans side with the media, so they'll never have the time to build it the right way.

Last edited:
^ @iLLoQuent aka DSK is right though. Idzik wouldn't even entertain bringing back Revis Island, as if the Jets' secondary was too good to even include Revis' services. That snub pushed him closer to New England, no coincidence, a division rival.

It's crazy Rex's first two seasons as HC were immensely successful. Losing competitively in the AFC Championship Game in back-to-back years. With Mark Sanchez as your QB. The defense was serious back then, more respected.

Rex Ryan will easily find another job. He's a players' coach. Well-liked, goes to bat for his boys especially defensively. Hope he learns his lesson about neglecting the offensive side of the ball, particularly with player personnel and a strong OC.

hell yea

think the jets front office is hurting him 
Idzik is overly patient, and almost too methodical. Misses out on FA opportunities playing the waiting game. Supporters keep saying we'll see what made him successful in Seattle's FO, but Jets fans are still waiting. I tend to give defensive player personnel credit to Rex. So for example, Rex Ryan gets credit for Sheldon but also must accept if Dee Milli doesn't blossom into a #1 corner.

Next time he may just ask for full control. That's never easy to get.

Speaking of full control...I'd be lying if I said Holmgren to the Raiders wouldn't be awesome...In theory.

Last edited:
^ @iLLoQuent aka DSK is right though. Idzik wouldn't even entertain bringing back Revis Island, as if the Jets' secondary was too good to even include Revis' services. That snub pushed him closer to New England, no coincidence, a division rival.

It's crazy Rex's first two seasons as HC were immensely successful. Losing competitively in the AFC Championship Game in back-to-back years. With Mark Sanchez as your QB. The defense was serious back then, more respected.

Rex Ryan will easily find another job. He's a players' coach. Well-liked, goes to bat for his boys especially defensively. Hope he learns his lesson about neglecting the offensive side of the ball, particularly with player personnel and a strong OC.
Who knows what rumors are worth, but the rumor was that Woody Johnson was offended by the way Revis left and would not have him back.

This is a team that had a bottom-5 roster last year. Now you want to fire the GM because they are bad the next year.  That's why bad teams stay bad.  

And I don't see Ryan succeeding as a head coach.  DC yes, hell yes.  But he would have to make major changes in his approach to win a Super Bowl as a head coach.  

Age is whatever. Historically, probably so, but if he's still got the fire in that big 'ol gut of his then it wouldn't surprise me.

Who knows what rumors are worth, but the rumor was that Woody Johnson was offended by the way Revis left and would not have him back.

This is a team that had a bottom-5 roster last year. Now you want to fire the GM because they are bad the next year.  That's why bad teams stay bad.  

And I don't see Ryan succeeding as a head coach.  DC yes, hell yes.  But he would have to make major changes in his approach to win a Super Bowl as a head coach.  
Jets went 20-12 in Rex's first 2 seasons ever as a HC. Two AFC CG performances, and both games were relatively close. With Sanchez leading the charge. He's a sound defensive mind. Players like performing for him.

Idzik is overly patient, and almost too methodical. Misses out on FA opportunities playing the waiting game. Supporters keep saying we'll see what made him successful in Seattle's FO, but Jets fans are still waiting. I tend to give defensive player personnel credit to Rex. So for example, Rex Ryan gets credit for Sheldon but also must accept if Dee Milli doesn't blossom into a #1 corner.
I'm just saying, what FA opportunities?  Big FA signings rarely make teams better.  Just look at the hype of this past offseason and the results for so many of these teams:

-Bucs: they made the biggest splash in FA, as they always do.  The team is a disaster.

-Saints: Biggest single signing with Jairus Byrd.  Disaster.

-Pats:  One of the most hyped signings with Revis.  He has been average and struggled at times.  

-Giants: DRC has not been impressive.  Prince has actually been better.

-Jets: Decker has been good when healthy—not easy to be an upgrade in that core.

-Broncos: Talib has been alright, but is way overpaid.  Demarcus Ware has been good.

-Bears: Jared Allen has done nothing.  9 tackles, no sacks, the defense is terrible.

-********:  DeSean Jackson has been fine, mostly on one big catch.  Jeremy Maclin has been better.

We can look at past years like when the Bucs signed Goldson (terrible signing), Nicks, and Davin Joseph both of whom are no longer on the team, and were a bad team that had to rebuilt again two years later.  Goes on and on.

Last edited:
I don't even need to research, my entire office was heated Idzik didn't push harder for Verner or Davis. Especially Verner, signed with Tampa for a bargain.

-Pats:  One of the most hyped signings with Revis.  He has been average and struggled at times.  

have to caveat that with, "when in zone defense...."

we finally let him play man on man sunday night and he essentially took care of AJ Green and made him a non factor for the Bengals. Green's TD was on the play immediately after Revis left for the locker room.

Revis is not meant to play zone. i have no idea why it took us 5 ******* weeks to let him man up the other team's best receiver

Last edited:
Champ: What are your preliminary thoughts on Zimmer so far?

I love what he's starting, but the early returns on the teams consistency isn't there. Lots of factors in play with that, but I think he's learning real quick that he needs to keep pressing, even after their big wins. Win big, lose badly so far. Defense has shown signs of marked improvement, but same inconsistencies week to week.

Last edited:

we finally let him play man on man sunday night and he essentially took care of AJ Green and made him a non factor for the Bengals. Green's TD was on the play immediately after Revis left for the locker room.

Revis is not meant to play zone. i have no idea why it took us 5 ******* weeks to let him man up the other team's best receiver
I'm not saying dude is an average talent or washed up or anything like that, but up to this point his signing has been a disappointment.  I'd like to see him do it repeatedly against a QB who isn't missing his WRs by 7 ft. with every deep ball before I say it was worth the hype.

Idzik is overly patient, and almost too methodical. Misses out on FA opportunities playing the waiting game.
I'm just saying, what FA opportunities?  Big FA signings rarely make teams better.  Just look at the hype of this past offseason and the results for so many of these teams:

-Bucs: they made the biggest splash in FA, as they always do.  The team is a disaster.
-Saints: Biggest single signing with Jairus Byrd.  Disaster.
-Giants: DRC has not been impressive.  Prince has actually been better.
-Jets: Decker has been good when healthy—not easy to be an upgrade in that core.
-Broncos: Talib has been alright, but is way overpaid.  Demarcus Ware has been good.
-Bears: Jared Allen has done nothing.  9 tackles, no sacks, the defense is terrible.
-********:  DeSean Jackson has been fine, mostly on one big catch.  Jeremy Maclin has been better.

We can look at past years like when the Bucs signed Goldson (terrible signing), Nicks, and Davin Joseph both of whom are no longer on the team, and were a bad team that had to rebuilt again two years later.  Goes on and on.

woodhead last year and B flo this year have been BIG for the bolts.

I don't even need to research, my entire office was heated Idzik didn't push harder for Verner or Davis. Especially Verner, signed with Tampa for a bargain.
So what has Verner done for the Bucs defense?  

They suck.

Point is, free agency is often a waste of money because players play great in one system and average in another.  Revis and the zone/Schiano/Belicheck stuff is actually a good example.  There's no guarantee you'll be able to use someone right or they'll be able to repeat what they did for a different coach they spent their best days under.

woodhead last year and B flo this year have been BIG for the bolts.
True.  Both under-the-radar bargain signings though.  Which is part of the point.  THOSE are exactly where free agency comes in useful.

Last edited:
Forgot to add, Raiders
1382021127868.gif

Donald Penn has been a good signing so far. Anyways all the players that they signed could all get cut after the season and still have about 60 mil in cap space next year.

They need to continue to build through the draft.

Champ: What are your preliminary thoughts on Zimmer so far?

I love what he's starting, but the early returns on the teams consistency isn't there. Lots of factors in play with that, but I think he's learning real quick that he needs to keep pressing, even after their big wins. Win big, lose badly so far. Defense has shown signs of marked improvement, but same inconsistencies week to week.
Mixed bag, to be honest. 2-3 is about right record wise. I think the hardest thing for Zim is eradicating everything negative that had developed under the Frazier regime. Both with player personnel (defensively) as well as attitude and culture. Vikes have been surprisingly good against the pass, run D needs to improve. Want to see Minny in the top-half of the league in that department statistically.

So what has Verner done for the Bucs defense?  

They suck.

Point is, free agency is often a waste of money because players play great in one system and average in another.  Revis and the zone/Schiano/Belicheck stuff is actually a good example.  There's no guarantee you'll be able to use someone right or they'll be able to repeat what they did for a different coach they spent their best days under.
Because team defense is determined by one, single cornerback. Don't be that simple, man. Verner is playing decent. 30 tackles, 3 PD, INT, FF. Bucs as a WHOLE, are not performing well under Lovie despite the last-minute Pittsburgh upset.

I'm not saying dude is an average talent or washed up or anything like that, but up to this point his signing has been a disappointment.  I'd like to see him do it repeatedly against a QB who isn't missing his WRs by 7 ft. with every deep ball before I say it was worth the hype.

fair point on Dalton not being great. i do think that Revis was part of the reason. i remember one play where AJ did have Revis by a couple steps and Dalton overshot him. outside of that, Revis was basically directing AJ to tight walk the sideline, which is why Dalton kept missing out of bounds. but we'll find out in a few weeks when he has to go against Marshall/Jeffrey and Bay Bay Thomas. agreed that we can't call the signing a gem just yet.

that said, i do believe the Pats lead the league in pass defense. or they did prior to Sunday. not sure if that changed. someone tweeted that prior to SNF.

Because team defense is determined by one, single cornerback. Don't be that simple, man. Verner is playing decent. 30 tackles, 3 PD, INT, FF. Bucs as a WHOLE, are not performing well under Lovie despite the last-minute Pittsburgh upset.
Not my point.  First off the Bucs team is full of "power FA signings", so Verner is just one example of what overall is a poor team-building strategy.  Verner has been fine, but he's been far from special and he hasn't made an impact on what has been a terrible pass defense overall (31st in passing yards per game, 25th in overall defensive DVOA per football outsiders).

I don't meant to call you out Champ, but you declared Goldson and Barron one of the best safety tandems in the league when the signing took place, and continue to claim they're a good duo.  Now I think they're both bad, but if you think they're good and the pass defense is as awful as it is with these three players, how can you claim Verner would have fixed the Jets' problems?

Also Verner's zone style is the opposite of what Rex depended on with Revis, etc.

AJ said himself that he had a step or two on Revis a few times. Definitely was more Dalton's **** arm than Revis' great coverage. Even the INT/holding call AJ had him beat.

Back
Top Bottom