NFL Week in Review: Week 3 aka The Carson Wentz Thread

Should we rewind back to what you all were saying after three games with Chip?  Now you're just losing perspective.
yup. Dudes were drinking the chip kool-aid and hyping up his system. Now it's a different story.

We know thats not. True.

I remember itsaboutthattime posting articles from people who doubted Chip Kelly after every game. Just like he's doing with Wentz :nerd:

People really wrote the book too early on Chip Kelly, they were so ready to call his offense a fad/gimmick

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...s-hire-of-chip-kelly-could-be-nfls-worst-ever

[h1]Philadelphia Eagles' hire of Chip Kelly could be NFL's worst ever[/h1]

• 0ap1000000057809.jpg

• By Heath Evans
  • NFL Media analyst
  • Published: Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:45 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 16, 2013 at 02:46 p.m.
  • 999+ Likes  |  585 Comments

Now that the Philadelphia Eagles have reeled in perhaps the biggest fish on the coaching market, I am going on the record calling Chip Kelly one of the worst hires in pro football history.

[table][TR]
[td]

[table][TR]
[td]

Kelly hired as Eagles coach

[/td]

[/TR]
[TR]
[td]
[/td]

[/TR]
[TR]
[td]
More: 

» 
Eagles make offer Kelly can't refuse 

» 
Rosenthal: How the Eagles landed Kelly 

» 
Schein: Kelly saves Eagles in one fell swoop 

» 
Debate: Was Kelly the best coaching hire? 

» 
Evans: Kelly hire could be worst in NFL history 

» 
Rosenthal: Will Vick fit as Kelly's QB? 

» 
Oregon recruit: Kelly 'at my house two days ago' 

» 
Photo essay: College coaches in NFL 
Video: 

» 
Can Kelly's offense work in the NFL? 

» 
Jenkins impressed with Kelly's accomplishments[/td]

[/TR]
[/table]

[/td]

[/TR]
[/table]
Yes, worse than Steve Spurrier, the old ball coach who is one of college football's top offensive minds ever but who failed miserably in the NFL, going 12-20 in two seasons with the Washington ******** (2002-03). Kelly, too, is a dynamic college head coach, but what he's about to bring to the NFL simply won't work. Here are three reasons why:

1. No recruiting advantage

For the past four years, Kelly had the biggest recruiting advantage ever known to a college coach. His name is Phil Knight, the CEO of Nike and a major University of Oregon donor and school alumnus who pumps millions of dollars into the football program each year. Despite the enormous benefits of this relationship, Kelly never brought a BCS title to Eugene.

In four years with the Ducks, he had a 46-7 record but never finished higher than third in the polls, including 2010 when he lost to Auburn in the BCS National Championship Game. In the NFL, you don't get 10 first-round picks, and in Philly, the league's best free agents aren't lining up to join the Eagles.

2. Out-coached by Stanford

Nearly two months ago, Stanford beat Oregon 17-14 to ruin the Ducks' hopes for a perfect season. Stanford defensive coordinator Derek Mason had 20 working hours that week (mandated by the NCAA, which includes practice, weightlifting, and meetings) to prepare for this so-called NFL-ready offense, and he held them to two touchdowns, 4-of-17 on third down, 0-for-2 on fourth down, and forced a turnover.

I love the discipline and structure that Jim Harbaugh installed at Stanford and that current head coach David Shaw and Mason have continued. And they've done it with much less athletic players than what Kelly had at Oregon. If Kelly's high-powered offense could only manage 14 points against Stanford, how will this offense work in the NFL, where all teams -- more or less -- are on equal footing?

3. QBs exposed to injuries

If we've learned one thing this season in the NFL, it's that you can't expose your franchise quarterback to vicious and violent hits. I'm sure the RG3phenomenon is adding to the Chip Kelly hype but Robert Griffin III was knocked out of a game three times -- once by concussion, once from a brutal hit fromBaltimore Ravens nose tackle Haloti Ngata, and a final time in the playoffs that required surgery and puts his NFL future in jeopardy.

Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota carried the ball 106 times in 13 games for Kelly this season. Overall, Oregon quarterbacks have rushed the ball 464 times in Kelly's four seasons with the Ducks. I'm not sure he can maintain that in the NFL against much bigger, quicker and faster defensive players without losing a quarterback -- be it Michael Vick, Nick Foles, Geno Smith or anyone else -- to injury for a significant amount of time.

The game is constantly changing in small ways, but the basis of championship football will always be physical and mental toughness in the NFL, not gadget offensive schemes. When Kelly and his Oregon squads faced physically tough and defensively sound teams, they did not fare well.

Sure, Oregon kept it close against Auburn in the 2010 title game, and the Ducks didn't do so badly against LSU in 2011 either. But "keeping it close" and "not so bad" will only get you one thing in the NFL: fired.

Heath Evans is an analyst on NFL Network's "Total Access."

Last edited:
this is what fans do, we live in the moment, sorry if people getting excited about Carson Wentz isn't allowed until 2020 via NT Standards where everybody pretty much is washed, sucks or overrated

Last edited:

Y'all still defending chip for god's sake.
don't think anyone is defending chip.. personally, i'm still trying to rationalize his last 2 years in comparison to the coach he was that first year and at oregon

hence my constant reference to our 3 TEs and the players along our Dline.. and the incompetence of our past DC (at chip's behest)
less than 2 days ago (again in this thread):

**** happens. Ya'll wanted to believe Chip Kelly was a genius.
honestly, the last thing I would have expected out of chip was for him to be stubborn and rigid.. from what I saw of him at Oregon (and read about him when he was at new hamsphire) and his first year with the eagles, dude seemed prepared to adapt to the hand he was dealt

adjust to fit his personnel.. but nope.. last two years, dude decided he was going do what he was going do no matter what.. our WRs were/are crap, go 3 WRs every down.. ertz guy pretty good, nah continuing to play kkkooper.. or Vinnie curry getting 9 sacks playing under 30% of snaps, let's cut his snaps even more the next year

just didn't get it

Last edited:
this is what fans do, we live in the moment, sorry if people getting excited about Carson Wentz isn't allowed until 2020 via NT Standards where everybody pretty much is washed, sucks or overrated
you shouldn't live in the moment and be such Homers. I'm a Cowboys fans and i think dak looks good but I still live in reality. Some of you dudes cheerlead a little to hard. You think you would learn.

Last edited:
^ what exactly are we saying though?

the eagles fans on NT.. what extremes are we going to?

again, a lot of yall are missing the point that is being made.. as with that article that literally used the words "worst ever", well the bar aint high 

even if chip failed, did he meet THAT level of failure?

even during his 3 years (now 4th) in the league, has dude been the worst of that bunch?

Last edited:
Saying eagles have had more success progress in 3 games then Ya'll ever due with Chip.
While you may have been critical of chip. Many of the other eagle fans praised him and his system.. Avis of the dude and all.

Last edited:
Saying eagles have had more success progress in 3 games then Ya'll ever due with Chip.
While you may have been critical of chip. Many of the other eagle fans praised him and his system.. Avis of the dude and all.
I've posted this article more than once on NT:

https://theringer.com/chip-kelly-san-francisco-49ers-offense-f332f053870e#.xg1vl64f8

but it's a great breakdown on what went wrong with chip

i think it's a lot more than just chip's "system" that is failing him.. because elements of what he does is incorporated throughout many teams in the league (maybe not to the same degree, obviously)

as i mentioned above, if you're not willing to change what you do to play to the strengths of your better players than something is seriously wrong.. vinny curry and the 3 TEs are the easiest example of that from the eagles because they are now being used (then you have the rest of the Dline guys who are having an impact on the success of the rest of the defense because cox, graham and logan are put into their more natural positions.. and we have a competent DC)

really after the first year, the only time i saw chip trying to do things was during that preseason going into his 2nd year.. maclin was great that 2nd year, but he was still married to the 3 WRs (hell could have gone a lot of 2 TEs stuff just to get ertz on the field more instead of kkkooper.. going 2 TEs, could have been maclin, celek and ertz with whoever else sproles, Jordan Matthews or even kkkooper.. but dude was determined to have ertz behind them all, inclusive rookie Jordan Matthews)

Last edited:
you shouldn't live in the moment and be such Homers. I'm a Cowboys fans and i think dak looks good but I still live in reality. Some of you dudes cheerlead a little to hard. You think you would learn.

but didn't you pick your teams based off all their success? it's easy to say that as a Lakers and Cowboys fan

but didn't you pick your teams based off all their success? it's easy to say that as a Lakers and Cowboys fan
when I picked my team and stated watching basketball the Lakers had no success that I could remember. I didn't watch magic.
... Lakers weren't very successful in 94. Cowboys havent been to a CT game in 20 years. Miss me with that bandwagon ish. Deflecting. You were the one with Chip in your avi for how long. Like I said stay in reality. Stop being a cheerleader you can be a fan. Nothing wrong with that you shouldn't be such a blind fan though.

Last edited:
I've posted this article more than once on NT:

https://theringer.com/chip-kelly-san-francisco-49ers-offense-f332f053870e#.xg1vl64f8

but it's a great breakdown on what went wrong with chip

i think it's a lot more than just chip's "system" that is failing him.. because elements of what he does is incorporated throughout many teams in the league (maybe not to the same degree, obviously)

as i mentioned above, if you're not willing to change what you do to play to the strengths of your better players than something is seriously wrong.. vinny curry and the 3 TEs are the easiest example of that from the eagles because they are now being used (then you have the rest of the Dline guys who are having an impact on the success of the rest of the defense because cox, graham and logan are put into their more natural positions.. and we have a competent DC)

really after the first year, the only time i saw chip trying to do things was during that preseason going into his 2nd year.. maclin was great that 2nd year, but he was still married to the 3 WRs (hell could have gone a lot of 2 TEs stuff just to get ertz on the field more instead of kkkooper.. going 2 TEs, could have been maclin, celek and ertz with whoever else sproles, Jordan Matthews or even kkkooper.. but dude was determined to have ertz behind them all, inclusive rookie Jordan Matthews)
that's cool man. I feel you. I'm just saying you were in the minority on nt if you were critical of chip at the time.

that's cool man. I feel you. I'm just saying you were in the minority on nt if you were critical of chip at the time.
when you got guys like  jim tomsula or joe philbin.. or the bunch of other recent guys who came along during the same time span it's pretty easy to respond to something that says "worst ever"

hell, look at jeff fisher chugging along with losing records every season (last time he finished .500 or above was '09)

when I picked my team and stated watching basketball the Lakers had no success that I could remember. I didn't watch magic.
... Lakers weren't very successful in 94. Cowboys havent been to a CT game in 20 years. Miss me with that bandwagon ish. Deflecting. You were the one with Chip in your avi for how long. Like I said stay in reality. Stop being a cheerleader you can be a fan. Nothing wrong with that you shouldn't be such a blind fan though.

Maaaan...you ain't gotta explain yourself to that dude :rofl:...when stillin729 stillin729 starts bringing up your fandom he's obviously out of comebacks so he deflects..he does that ALL THE TIME...

Nothing to see here...dude is the ultimate homer, for better or worse...

Maaaan...you ain't gotta explain yourself to that dude :rofl:...when stillin729 stillin729 starts bringing up your fandom he's obviously out of comebacks so he deflects..he does that ALL THE TIME...

Nothing to see here...dude is the ultimate homer, for better or worse...
[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Living in MN we followed Wentz for a while. Def saw something in him but people are honestly saying hes like top 5 now? After 3 games?

Back
Top Bottom