Nike Air Jordan 4 Retro "White/Cement" - The Aftermath - NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING

Quote:
Not to undercut the resell but to make more money. Nike is about making money and if the numbers show the demand outweighs the inventory then they know there's more money to be made.
Of course, but Nike obviously doesn't have a blind eye to the billion dollar resale market. Increase the price and stock so more are able to cop, take away the potential earnings resellers would make.

I ain't going to complain, I hope places like Solesupremacy go out of business (which in a recent Twitter chat the dude who owns the place doesn't think he'll be around in 20 years).

bruh... think of it from a business perspective and not reseller perspective.

nike has done other shrewd moves to make more money like have outlet releases for pretty much retail which cuts out the middle man (like footlocker and finishline).

resell will never go away. it is what it is.

nike has done other shrewd moves to make more money like have outlet releases for pretty much retail which cuts out the middle man (like footlocker and finishline).

And I agree with you, what I'm saying is if they don't have enough inventory to meet demand then that demand shifts over to the reseller market where consumers are spending their dollars. Nike knows people are going to spend more than retail on Js, so increase the price a little bit and make more so that money ends in their pockets and not the resellers.

I'd love to see the profit margins on shoes at FTL, FNL, etc.

Last edited:
Maybe cancelled orders or returned pairs? Nike seems to be making a lot more of the coveted releases to undercut the reseller market.

Yeah could be, but just interesting. If the masters had a restock they would be sold out instantly I think; we'll see if they do and how they're received.
You get the award for biggest fan of the masters. This ain't even the XII thread and you still proclaiming your love, kudos.

You get the award for biggest fan of the masters. This ain't even the XII thread and you still proclaiming your love, kudos.

Thanks Mr. Wayne, didn't know saying that I think the masters restock would sell out instantly means I'm in love with them or that it's not cool to bring up another shoe for comparison purposes. Keep tracking me if you can and let me know what else I'm doing wrong on this forum.

exactly...we get it...i thought i was the only one that noticed.....makes me wonder if folks really like a shoe or if they just try to justify their purchase by repeating the same point until they believe it

And I agree with you, what I'm saying is if they don't have enough inventory to meet demand then that demand shifts over to the reseller market where consumers are spending their dollars. Nike knows people are going to spend more than retail on Js, so increase the price a little bit and make more so that money ends in their pockets and not the resellers.

I'd love to see the profit margins on shoes at FTL, FNL, etc.

ehhh i can never agree when all you keep doing is going back to reseller talk to be honest. no business is saying "lets cut out resellers" but are instead saying "our numbers show that we are still selling through product at this dollar point. lets make more money fellas."

Thanks Mr. Wayne, didn't know saying that I think the masters restock would sell out instantly means I'm in love with them or that it's not cool to bring up another shoe for comparison purposes. Keep tracking me if you can and let me know what else I'm doing wrong on this forum.
Where did I say you were doing something wrong? I was commenting on your love of the master 12. Its a true love when you can bring in up at anytime no matter the subject. You should be proud, not ashamed or embarrassed :smile:

Yes they were.  the first 88 drop, it was cool b/c it was at an odd time during the day.  Also there was a backdoor link to FinishLine posted that allowed many to bypass the splash page.  That's how a lot of NTers copped.

When the 88s restocked for the second drop, #BOTSZN was in full effect.

The 88 drop was the day I stopped lurking and joined NT

#neverforget
Haha man those days

On the first drop i think it was like 4:20 in the afternoon or something. I was able to manually cop 2 pairs of the 88s.

Then i proceeded to fail on much easier releases after then, until now lol

Where did I say you were doing something wrong? I was commenting on your love of the master 12. Its a true love when you can bring in up at anytime no matter the subject. You should be proud, not ashamed or embarrassed :smile:

Definitely not ashamed or embarrassed of anything on an Internet forum about shoes. Let me ask you this, do you like the masters or think they're overrated? Do you think a restock would sell faster than these are?

Yes. The 88 3s were produced in much less quantity than these. These were a full blown GR
88 cements were a limited GR.
Its weird how the 88s were a much more limited shoe,  but resell for them isn't  that high.  I was lucky enough to cop 2 pairs on RD and still have one DS.   I remember having WC3 and BC3s in high school back in 88.

ehhh i can never agree when all you keep doing is going back to reseller talk to be honest. no business is saying "lets cut out resellers" but are instead saying "our numbers show that we are still selling through product at this dollar point. lets make more money fellas."
Nah Nike wants the millions of dollars consumers are spending in the secondary market, you look at the figures from 2013, resellers made $230 million dollars in Nike products alone. That is equivalent to 8.5% of their earnings in 2014.

Nike can't ignore that, they are literally leaving money on the table. Hence now they introduced these "remasters", which means a price hike and delivering more pairs. The catch is to strike a balance between delivering enough pairs to consumers but still not enough in order to maintain hype. If everybody is able to get a pair it diminishes the desire for them.

It's very hard for Nike to increase their bottom line, but taking some of the business away from resellers is one way to do it.

Nah Nike wants the millions of dollars consumers are spending in the secondary market, you look at the figures from 2013, resellers made $230 million dollars in Nike products alone. That is equivalent to 8.5% of their earnings in 2014.

Nike can't ignore that, they are literally leaving money on the table. Hence now they introduced these "remasters", which means a price hike and delivering more pairs. The catch is to strike a balance between delivering enough pairs to consumers but still not enough in order to maintain hype. If everybody is able to get a pair it diminishes the desire for them.

It's very hard for Nike to increase their bottom line, but taking some of the business away from resellers is one way to do it.

we are just gonna talk in circles. you win.

Definitely not ashamed or embarrassed of anything on an Internet forum about shoes. Let me ask you this, do you like the masters or think they're overrated? Do you think a restock would sell faster than these are?
I like the masters but wouldn't pay above retail on them. Masters probly would sell faster since these are on their second restock at FNL and there's not a significant resell on WCIV's. I only feel masters are overated when someone claims they are the best XII ever or something crazy. WCIV is a true classic...

roll.gif
roll.gif

I like the masters but wouldn't pay above retail on them. Masters probly would sell faster since these are on their second restock at FNL and there's not a significant resell on WCIV's. I only feel masters are overated when someone claims they are the best XII ever or something crazy. WCIV is a true classic...

Fair enough. I like the WCIV's and would have grabbed a pair if I didn't just double up on the Dunk From Aboves. Might sell one of those though to get one of these at some point. Quality is similar, maybe slightly better on the Dunks from what I've been reading, but no doubt the demand is far higher on these so a straight trade would be out of the question.

I completely agree, you make very good points. As a business owner, if someone told me that I could increase a price on a product/service, while keeping my expenses the same, why the f would I not do this? And if I could meet these demands by raising production/overall number of goods, while raising the price on the product that is in such high demand, again, why the f would I not do this? It seems like its a delicate balance between keeping demand high, supply somewhat high, but not over-saturating the market so the appeal for the product goes down.  

Nike isn't stupid. Evaluating the entire shoe market as broadly as possible, I'm sure they see what resellers are making off  their shoes. If they can meet the demands for their shoes by increasing production while increasing the retail price, Nike profits more, Nike wins, retail stores win, consumers win (by paying msrp vs inflated resell prices). 

Last edited:
no question these were easier than the 88s. still not sure how i managed to double on those rd from fnl

& to think i thought $200 for them was OD

this release will most likely be the best retro of the year tho, glad i doubled up.

I completely agree, you make very good points. As a business owner, if someone told me that I could increase a price on a product/service, while keeping my expenses the same, why the f would I not do this? And if I could meet these demands by raising production/overall number of goods, while raising the price on the product that is in such high demand, again, why the f would I not do this? 

Nike isn't stupid. Evaluating the entire shoe market as broadly as possible, I'm sure they see what resellers are making off  their shoes. If they can meet the demands for their shoes by increasing production while increasing the retail price, Nike profits more, Nike wins, retail stores win, consumers win (by paying msrp vs inflated resell prices). 

consumers lose unless you are someone that constantly loses on releases.

I don't think sneakerheads win though, sneakers are getting too expensive. I think Js are overpriced, so are foams and other Nike retros.

agreed. i think the younger crowd suffers unfortunately. i mean, the price points are pretty bad. im just glad im older now and can afford it better than i would have been able to had i been a teen/college student.

When ppl start this nike is losing money to resellers debate, if resellers are buying in store.... isnt Nike and the store still getting paid ? Im not talking about that back door craziness, but guys who go in and  buy FSR. Or have ppl doing their bidding, either way they are still buying  instore

agreed. i think the younger crowd suffers unfortunately. i mean, the price points are pretty bad. im just glad im older now and can afford it better than i would have been able to had i been a teen/college student.

Which is one reason why all these young bucks became resellers in the first place.

When ppl start this nike is losing money to resellers debate, if resellers are buying in store.... isnt Nike and the store still getting paid ? Im not talking about that back door craziness, but guys who go in and  buy FSR. Or have ppl doing their bidding, either way they are still buying  instore
The conversation bigj and I were having was about where Nike can make more money, and I think they can by taking away some of the business in the reseller market. Resellers are making millions in profits for reselling Nike sneakers...so if consumers are willing to spend more than retail for sneakers then just raise the price and create a little bit more to take away the consumers out of the secondary market.

Nike is such a large company and dominates the market in sneakers so its very difficult to increase their bottom line through more retail channels, why not get in on some of the profits resellers are making?

Resellers will always be around, yes, but I'm not sure how sustainable a reseller business model is long term hence some of the doubt coming from the likes of Solesupremacy, etc.

Maybe Js won't be as popular in 5 years or 10. Who knows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom