Nike NBA Apparel and Jersey Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season Takeover

This the official word...

v2_clarkson_pruple_1_DSF7416.jpg

v2_clarkson_black_2_DSF7416.jpg

v2_clarkson_yellow_DSF7416.jpg

v2_clarkson_white_DSF7416.jpg

Might as well just have them play in piano key neckties.

364D5211-7D37-4807-80F6-9C01D76CB0AA.gif

The jazz know they suck too lol apparently they wanted to cancel but nike said nah. not sure if I’m interpreting correctly but maybe the black and white will only be used next season and after that it will be another rebrand with a new purple jersey

I think black and yellow Jazz unis are ok. The white one is awful though. I’m an Oregon alum though, so no surprise I’d like their sets.

The jazz know they suck too lol apparently they wanted to cancel but nike said nah. not sure if I’m interpreting correctly but maybe the black and white will only be used next season and after that it will be another rebrand with a new purple jersey
The can’t rebrand for a few years. 5 years is the minimum I believe. There may be a loop hole to get it to two years, but they can’t switch it after the season.

Apparently = not true. These don't happen without them giving the green light. The players might not like it, but the ok came from the owners.

Apparently = not true. These don't happen without them giving the green light. The players might not like it, but the ok came from the owners.

Nah it’s true. This was after the initial leak. The owners wanted to change it due to backlash but couldn’t. Just like how lebron wanted to change his number but had to wait. Even before that, the owners wanted just black and white but nike said nah because the spurs and nets already have that so you have to add a third color. So they added highlighter yellow lmao. This is all from this article

“Purple wasn’t the plan for the franchise’s rebrand, but became the plan after initial public reaction to the black/white/yellow scheme was exceptionally critical. But because they locked in that latter scheme with Nike, the purple jerseys are either the “City” jerseys or the “Classic” set, expected to change every year. That’s why the video also revealed two new other purple jerseys, to be worn in the 2023-24 season.”

“When the team announced the new look on Friday, the focus was on none of these colors, but purple.”

“We’ll see if the Jazz can convince Nike and the league to move on from the white, yellow, and black Association, Icon, and Statement jerseys more quickly than teams are usually allowed to.”

you don’t convince Nike to move on if you’re “ok” with it lol. All signs point to them knowing they ****** up

Nah it’s true. This was after the initial leak. The owners wanted to change it due to backlash but couldn’t. Just like how lebron wanted to change his number but had to wait. Even before that, the owners wanted just black and white but nike said nah because the spurs and nets already have that so you have to add a third color. So they added highlighter yellow lmao. This is all from this article

“Purple wasn’t the plan for the franchise’s rebrand, but became the plan after initial public reaction to the black/white/yellow scheme was exceptionally critical. But because they locked in that latter scheme with Nike, the purple jerseys are either the “City” jerseys or the “Classic” set, expected to change every year. That’s why the video also revealed two new other purple jerseys, to be worn in the 2023-24 season.”

“When the team announced the new look on Friday, the focus was on none of these colors, but purple.”

“We’ll see if the Jazz can convince Nike and the league to move on from the white, yellow, and black Association, Icon, and Statement jerseys more quickly than teams are usually allowed to.”

you don’t convince Nike to move on if you’re “ok” with it lol. All signs point to them knowing they ****** up
I read the same article and they wanted to rebrand to black and white. They threw in the volt as a compromise. The colors were their idea. They worked with designers to come up with a uniform which they approved; something of which was pointed out in this thread already with the Lakers gold. They did not anticipate the backlash being what it was.

This does not compare to Lebron changing his number. That's simply an issue of too many 23 jerseys being manufactured. Nike would have to eat the loss. It's why the NFL made players who wanted to change their numbers, buy all of the jerseys on the market.

I read the same article and they wanted to rebrand to black and white. They threw in the volt as a compromise. The colors were their idea. They worked with designers to come up with a uniform which they approved; something of which was pointed out in this thread already with the Lakers gold. They did not anticipate the backlash being what it was.

This does not compare to Lebron changing his number. That's simply an issue of too many 23 jerseys being manufactured. Nike would have to eat the loss. It's why the NFL made players who wanted to change their numbers, buy all of the jerseys on the market.

The volt was their idea but they wouldn’t have added volt if not for Nike forcing them to add a 3rd color lol. Yeah you’re 100% correct the jazz were ok with it AT FIRST. but after the backlash, the jazz are now NO longer ok with it and want to change. Are we clear?

It does compare because nike already manufactured new jazz jerseys too. Otherwise, why would nike say no?

Last edited:
Nike wouldn’t have had to eat the loss on those extra Lebron jerseys. In those matters, the player has to buy out the remaining stock to make that switch if the change wasn’t put in in time.

To add to that imagine rebranding your franchise and then asking the apparel manufacturer if they can nix the rebrand after theyre ostensibly well into the production of millions of dollars in new merchandise. Really arrogant in the day and age of social media to assume their fanbase would ok with such a radical departure from their traditional look

To add to that imagine rebranding your franchise and then asking the apparel manufacturer if they can nix the rebrand after theyre ostensibly well into the production of millions of dollars in new merchandise. Really arrogant in the day and age of social media to assume their fanbase would ok with such a radical departure from their traditional look

Well you don’t need to imagine because that’s exactly what happened lol. There's a ton of evidence in front of you, not sure why you're choosing to ignore it. Also lol, "theyre ostensibly well into the production of millions of dollars in new merchandise" is the perfect counter to rellvolver's take about "this doesn't compare to lebron jerseys" and it also sums up perfectly why nike can't let the jazz nix the rebrand.

jazz part1.JPG

jazz part2.JPG

jazz part3.JPG

jazz part4.JPG

tldr: Notice how the whole rebrand campaign is focused on "purple is back!"

Teams don't normally leak the next-next-season's city and classic editions before the next season has even started. But the jazz did for damage control, because they desperately want to draw attention towards purple!! while diverting attention away from their ugly white/black/yellow.

The purple mountains actually aren't even classic editions, they are former 2019/20 classics being recycled as 22/23 city editions which is why they don't have the Nike Futura logo. the good news i guess is that this will allow the jazz to release retail authentics of these purple mountain unis under the city edition moniker.

Last edited:
SMH just keep/bring back the mountain uniforms from 1996-2004 and stay with it! Keep it simple Utah. Those uniforms are so dope to this day.

But the font is way too big on these new uniforms and the highlighter yellow doesn’t scan at all.

Even if the Jazz calls the purple uniforms the "city edition", I don't think Nike will produce and sell authentics... considering how the rebranding ended, they'll most likely use old blanks for the players, don't you think ?
By the way, they're actually using pictures of old authentics (not Dri Fit ADV ones) for the swingman items on their shop...

Whenever teams rebrand they should just modernize their old jerseys (if they exist). Almost all the throwbacks from the 90's are fire, I can't think of a single jersey that sucks and with new materials and more modern tooling, they would all look great.

Whenever teams rebrand they should just modernize their old jerseys (if they exist). Almost all the throwbacks from the 90's are fire, I can't think of a single jersey that sucks and with new materials and more modern tooling, they would all look great.

The Jazz mountains would look pretty dope if they went with a pixelated design like the Suns and Nuggets do on their City Uni's.

On top of the merchandise, teams also have to spend tons of money rebranding the entire building. The Floors, the walls, locker rooms, offices. This whole rebrand is such a mess :lol:

Even if the Jazz calls the purple uniforms the "city edition", I don't think Nike will produce and sell authentics... considering how the rebranding ended, they'll most likely use old blanks for the players, don't you think ?
By the way, they're actually using pictures of old authentics (not Dri Fit ADV ones) for the swingman items on their shop...

Good point. I think in the vid those jerseys still have that slightly yellow HWC nba logo instead of the regular white logo. Maybe they get even more desperate and do start making authentics tho lol. After all they want to convince fans they are focused on purple, not the other colors

Back
Top Bottom