NikeTalk New Era Fitted Cap Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds good in theory, but it's not ideal in practice. The lead time on these is pretty long. If there's a problem - as there often is - you're waiting for months after your money has already changed hands.

i don't see a problem.

06ad2e79801bd41822b98ce5c6be2000d4d56e1ce74a3457301617083c849a23.gif

i'd sacrifice lead time for reliability.

for future projects i presume...

It sounds good in theory, but it's not ideal in practice. The lead time on these is pretty long. If there's a problem - as there often is - you're waiting for months after your money has already changed hands.

i don't see a problem.

06ad2e79801bd41822b98ce5c6be2000d4d56e1ce74a3457301617083c849a23.gif

i'd sacrifice lead time for reliability.

for future projects i presume...

You know he doesn't care, a few people don't speak for all of NT

And dudes these days always *****ing

Wait 6 months and right before they release dudes will cry for refunds because they're sick of waiting any longer

Just like the scumbags who charged back on the last hats

Hell, I thought I was never getting my hat. Since the day it shipped it got lost or stuck somewhere and didn't get delivered til 3 weeks later. I was sweating :smh:

it's not hard

preorder thru PayPal gift or friends and family

if people will complain regardless might as well go with the easiest option

so what's the official way of release?

Last edited:
It's a snap back . :pimp:

Looks like an A-body joint too .

I'm gonna try my damnest to get one.

Last edited:
Not a fan of snapbacks (my head is too big for them) so I'm not really concerned with the new caps dropping.

Definitely interested in those old **** shirts though.

That's something we're still figuring out - and we're open to suggestions.

I promised to give everyone a look at the finished product in December, and I think some people were expecting an update on NT's anniversary, so I provided the most information I was able to at that time. As I've said, we've had to change course on this for reasons beyond our control. The hats now have another hop to make to get to those who've stepped up to handle distribution for us at the last minute. I figured some information was better than none, and I don't want to commit to anything that we're not yet 100% on.
it's not hard

preorder thru PayPal gift or friends and family

if people will complain regardless might as well go with the easiest option

What you're describing is a violation of Paypal's Terms of Service.  We're not going to ask a distribution partner to do that. 

I'm not saying that pre-orders are impossible and will never be attempted, only that it isn't the silver bullet some people seem to think it is.  We tried it multiple times with the t-shirts and it didn't work.  We may try it with the hats, but I would NOT want to do so if we were making significant changes to the product - like a change in manufacturer or a change in product.  In this case, we moved over to a different type of hat (a snapback) and even though the design was supposed to be otherwise identical to the previous release (minus the Since '99 on the back), we still had issues and plenty of delays.  

Have you ever backed a Kickstarter project that was delayed?  Ever follow the comments when that happens?  It's not pleasant.

Look, I know that a lot of you are genuinely appreciative of the effort and I don't want you to be penalized due to the behavior of others, but you have to understand that these releases are just torture.  I don't want to drag that process out for months, and let's not pretend that there won't be any complaints or problems if "everyone who wants one can pre-order."  The pre-order window will never be long enough for "everyone who wants one to get one."  With no impetus to buy immediately, people put it off until the last minute and then forget.  Add to that the possibility of product delays and differences, people complaining about size/fit differing from their expectations (and, oops, we have ZERO opportunity for exchange because everything was pre-purchased and there are no returns), and then the additional logistical nightmare of trying to track everyone down again after the product is complete to confirm shipping information.  

We had enough claims of lost packages last time around, when we didn't have to worry whether 100% of those who ordered the product would be confirm their address in a reasonable time frame.  As others have mentioned, we had all sorts of people complaining "where's my hat" last time, and that was after waiting days from the time of order - not months.  It's not an ideal solution for everyone.  It's only ideal if you want the product no matter what, you don't mind paying up front for something that could be 6+ months late due to manufacturing issues, and you have no plans to move, change your email, or stop visiting the site between now and the time the product is ready.  That describes some people here, but not all.  

There is no perfect release method for everyone. 

I think I'd rather just try and get us into a groove where we can start issuing regular releases for those interested.  That way, we're managing the burden and risk and giving people more opportunities to purchase.

As for "the easiest option":

60 hats? Why even bother ? 
mean.gif
Maybe next time, I won't.

It's funny that despite Meth explaining what lead to his decisions, all of the various outlets he considered, people still have the nerve to complain about it.

It's easy to find "better" solutions when you're not the one in charge. Maybe in a perfect world there is a different outlet that you think would work better, but there's far more complications and factors that must be considered.

Even if you don't agree with the number of hats produced or the way it's been handled, at least be appreciative of the work, time, and care that was involved. It's easy to complain when you're not involved with any of the process.

Last edited:
Meth would be nuts to do a preorder.

Y'all know most of these dudes would be PMing him hours later asking "you ship yet"?

Not too mention did you guys get confirmation email posts.

Meths cobra commander helmet would explode

Considering the limited run, and the potential to have the surplus donated to charity, it might make sense to have some sort of auction or raffle. Maybe a blind auction with everyone submitting bids during a specific time frame and all those who submitted qualifying bids receiving a hat which I think is a "generalized second-prize auction". Methodical Management Methodical Management

I like the idea of a raffle. $10, 15 or 20 entry which if you win is deducted from the total cost of your purchase, like a deposit. For the people who lose the entry should go to a charity so write it off on your taxes or just chalk it up to helping the less fortunate.

Methodical Management Methodical Management thoughts on this? Kind of two birds with one stone. Giving to charity and making it fair for everyone to purchase the hat.

I like the idea of a raffle. $10, 15 or 20 entry which if you win is deducted from the total cost of your purchase, like a deposit. For the people who lose the entry should go to a charity so write it off on your taxes or just chalk it up to helping the less fortunate.

@Methodical Management thoughts on this? Kind of two birds with one stone. Giving to charity and making it fair for everyone to purchase the hat.
i think a raffle violates some federal laws, think i read that somewhere

but then again, the nike air mag was a raffle of sorts too with proceeds going to charity

Last edited:
i think a raffle violates some federal laws, think i read that somewhere
but then again, the nike air mag was a raffle of sorts too with proceeds going to charity

Yeah, there are some laws about online raffle but if it is for charity the state and fed will let it slide with certain percentage going to charity e.g. CA is 90% of proceeds.

I think the best idea is to split these up into tiers.

1st tier: 10 hats ebay auctioned for charity -- This allows "rich" NTers to go ham and guarantee themselves a hat if they want one. This also guarantees good return on the donations to charity.

2nd tier: 20 hats for Long standing members -- If your join date is over 10 years old you can donate to charity ($10? $20? $50?) to qualify to win from this pool. One entry per person. Randomly select from the pool and there's your 20 winners.

3rd tier: 20 hats free for all. -- Donate $5 to charity for your shot at buying one of these hats. No max on number of entries and everyone gets a shot. Randomly select the winners and setup a private purchase via the distributor of your choosing.

4th tier: 10 hat giveway through whatever contest Meth wants to do on the site where the winners are judged or voted on or whatever and selected.

**No Multiple Winners**

This allows pretty much everyone on the site to have a shot somehow at getting one. Logistically I know this is a lot of work but I think this covers all the bases on making everyone happy . You would have to fact check the winners of the long standing members raffle but that's only 20 people. I feel like the money raised would more than cover the production cost + allow for a good donation to charity.

Aren't there Ok only two richnterS? The hedgfund guy and the guy who owns that drone company with contracts

We talking about $40 bucks, as long as the money goes to charity I wouldn't even care if I got a hat

If I'm out 40 or even 50 for a year to guarantee a hat I'm good

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom