NikeTalk will be moving from July 13th-14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repped for the sheer genius.

Also...

The "you guys are so lame b/c you care about reps" crowd always seems to find their way into threads like these.

We get it. Y'all think reps are pointless. Go the ElPabs route and disable them so you won't have to worry about it at all. :lol:

Its a cool little system to see what posts hit hard with the community.

Cats aren't up dreaming about 30-rep posts... And I think y'all overestimate how much other people care about them.

as long as da embed system becomes more expansive and da desktop options when it comes to analytics (top 10 post of da week/month/all time) remain I'm good.

kill da regional forums, and *cough* leave tan behind *cough*

as long as da embed system becomes more expansive and da desktop options when it comes to analytics (top 10 post of da week/month/all time) remain I'm good.

kill da regional forums, and *cough* leave tan behind *cough*

da TAN cant stop, wont stop :nthat:

Real talk, TAN is the worst thing to ever happen to NT.
I'd 5 ninjahoods arguing with 5 Antons with a sprinkle of Deuce King before we let TAN come to the new platform.

Look at all the threads on the front page, without counting I'll bet around 5 were made this year, let alone today.

All these long running threads become so insular and everyone just retreats to their familiar spots and engage in the same conversations with the same people day in and day out

it's stale

every thread is an official thread

Last edited:
*fingers crossed that we're returning to ezboard*

j/k

his version of NT has been the best one yet, by far. my only real gripe is that you can't embed tweets and other items (or I haven't figured out how to do it), but the navigation on mobile is fairly good. i just wish search on mobile was as good as the one on the full site

Look at all the threads on the front page, without counting I'll bet around 5 were made this year, let alone today.
All these long running threads become so insular and everyone just retreats to their familiar spots and engage in the same conversations with the same people day in and day out
it's stale
i've always felt this way. i just go to "my profile" or my subscriptions and check if there's new posts on threads I've posted in. I rarely browse for new threads. i like that it's easy to track threads you've participated in but it's also detracted from new, spontaneous threads. I don't know what the fix would be though.

Last edited:
it's stale

its one reason why i never effed wit iss back in da day.

it's stale

Real talk and whats corny how hostile or dismissive those people are to anyone not in the click

To be fair, most people who've stuck around General have done so for years. A lot of cats were in their teens when they first started to branch off from the boards dedicated to kicks. People have built up a familiarity with one another for the most part. When new cats try to come to General these days, it's usually with a legit check thread, a thread about being scammed, or someone trolling. I would wager that most new NT members over the past year or two never venture down to General. So the people who are familiar with the threads they've frequented for years stick with what they know. And since most of us are getting older, we don't really see that many one-off, randomly funny thread like in the past.

Who's going to really risk making an "air her out thread" in 2017 after cats are quick to do detective work and like girls to NT?

Dudes got families now, so I doubt as many people will be willing to just randomly post their numbers on NT for us to leave random voice messages on each othe/ phones :lol:

We can't roast like that anymore because cats rally get offended and try to take personal shots at people instead of keeping it lighthearted.

Sure, NT General has matured a bit, but that's to be expected. We don't really do things the same ways that used to attract others to leave the JB/Nike boards and come to/stay on General. It isn't the same, but it's still a cool place. Nothing wrong with some of the familiarity that's been established.

TAN can stay here though. :stoneface:

Anybody else having trouble changing their email? Every time I press save there's an error.

Now that we're down to our last two months on our current platform, I'll be posting regular updates to help keep everyone informed as we prepare for our migration. 

One of the top questions we've received regarding our upcoming move is, quite simply, "why?"  Many of you feel comfortable with our current site and have expressed concern for any potential disruption.  

To this point, I've been unable to address the motivations behind our platform change out of respect for our current partners.  Within the past several weeks, however, several communities have left Wikia and the Huddler network.  Their departures can shed some light on the reasoning behind our own pending move, and give you insight into how other communities are handling this same situation:

head-fi.org

styleforum.net

thecatsite.com 

Another former Huddler site, Epic Ski, will not survive the change at all and will, instead, shut down entirely: http://www.epicski.com/t/150694/rip-epicski-1999-2017

As for the reasoning behind the departure of these sites, a Head-Fi administrator explains it here:  https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/new-head-fi-update.845500/page-42#post-13458354

While the results of these migrations have been mixed, we're doing all we can to make sure NikeTalk's transition is a success.  

Converting data from a proprietary platform can be a real challenge - and we know that as well as anyone after a very turbulent move from our previous platform.  The right team can make all the difference, and I'm extremely confident in the company we'll be working with.  Every single person has experience with the Huddler platform.  Our chosen developers have already successfully migrated Huddler communities to more than one target platform, and support will be provided by the absolute best in the business:  @HuddlerSteph  and @SJHuddler.  (Expect name changes for both.)

@HuddlerSteph  has provided exemplary support for our community for almost the entirety of our run here on Huddler, and also served as the lead planner and creator of last year's NikeTalk Live event. 

Those of you who were around for our migration to Huddler may recall that @SJHuddler  led all support efforts - which, amid the sheer chaos of that event, qualifies as an act of heroism.  SJ and Steph have interacted with many of you over the years in handling literally thousands of support requests with no small measure of wit and skill.  

We're thrilled to have the opportunity to work with them, and our talented developers, moving forward.  

Thank you to everyone who's expressed interest in taking part in beta testing.  We're not at that stage yet, but we will certainly keep you posted.  

We can't decide what happens to Huddler, but, together, we can shape the future for our own community.  

I'd like to see quoted photos be automatically placed in a spoiler.
Omg yes please
As of now, when you quote long posts or large pictures users will need to click to expand the quote to see the entire thing.  In that sense, it does function like a spoiler - but with an important difference.  Shorter posts or thumbnail images will appear in their entirety, and users can see a portion of larger posts/photos so they can decide whether or not they want to click to see the rest.  

No more quote pyramids.  No more people quoting 50 pictures in the outlet thread just to say "cool."  (You can still quote the 50 pictures, but unless the user clicks to expand the quote it won't disrupt the thread.) 

Here's a quick look:

(note: this screen capture is from a test site running on the same forum software we'll be using, but with a very common theme configured to use NT's colors.  It's not representative of the final site.) 
Last change sucked. Lost my OG name. RIP bbrroowwnnssuuggaarr. Sounds like this will be for the better.
If you can still access that account on the old network (yes, it still exists somehow), we can help you recover it on NikeTalk.  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom