NikeTalk will be moving from July 13th-14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the last change but it sounds like this will be 100x better. I haven't read this thread all the way thru but quick question (sorry if it was already posted): Will the previews to the last post of the thread still be shown on the main page? Nothing worse than being spoiled by that.

View media item 2423073

I remember the last change but it sounds like this will be 100x better. I haven't read this thread all the way thru but quick question (sorry if it was already posted): Will the previews to the last post of the thread still be shown on the main page? Nothing worse than being spoiled by that.
As of this moment, it only shows who last replied and when.  There is no preview of the last post.  A preview of the first post is available on mouse-over for desktop users. 

Okay Meth...

So based from your reply up above you, NT Staff, us (the users) are all hoping that the transition will be a good painless success.

But, what if it isn't. What if there are problems or things go bad or whatever.

Will this niketalk domain, site or whatever it is still be up and running and active?

Just hoping there is a backup or something in case something doesn't go as planned with the new platform.

What if things go bad on the transition and this niketalk that we are on with huddler is not operating anymore where will we go :lol:

And, what if there is no niketalk for a few weeks, months (exaggerating here) then we might not be able to gain back our big userbase we currently have now.

Okay Meth...

So based from your reply up above you, NT Staff, us (the users) are all hoping that the transition will be a good painless success.

Will this niketalk domain, site or whatever it is still be up and running and active?

Just hoping there is a backup or something in case something doesn't go as planned with the new platform.

What if things go bad on the transition and this niketalk that we are on with huddler is not operating anymore where will we go :lol:

And, what if there is no niketalk for a few weeks, months (exaggerating here) then we might not be able to gain back our big userbase we currently have now.

We'll just meet on JJB or NeoGAF or... Twitter?

just as i suspected...Huddler is essentially dying & we outlived them.

da only thing i question is why go to Huddler in da first place if their vitals were questionable, their situation must've deteriorated fast.

Okay Meth...

What if things go bad on the transition and this niketalk that we are on with huddler is not operating anymore where will we go
laugh.gif

I can appreciate the concern, but that's not going to happen.  

We're doing far more than "hoping" for a great transition - we're preparing for it.  We've been working hard every day and will continue to make every necessary investment to deliver the best result we can for our fellow members. 

The company we've partnered with has already successfully ported a Huddler site to the same platform we'll be using.   The site only experienced about 20 hours of downtime - but most of that wasn't "total" downtime, but a "content lock" period during which posts could only be made to a special, temporary area that would not be transferred to the finished site.  Minor issues with user permissions, gallery albums, etc. were resolved within 24 hours.  The site not only retained its traffic, but increased its traffic after launch.

They retained their posts, images, articles, forums, and galleries.  Users were able to log in seamlessly using their existing passwords.  Account information like post count, join date, reputation score, follow lists, and ignore lists were maintained.  Private message conversations were carried over.  They even upgraded the site to HTTPS for greater security.   

While past performance is no guarantee of future success, we'll build in enough leeway in our departure to make sure that we have all the time we could possibly need to overcome almost any conceivable problem. 

Without getting into too much technical detail, it's not an "all or nothing" process.

We have everything we need right now to run a forum website today, but we're working to have all our content, accounts, etc. converted for us on the new platform, and to develop a look and feel that is unique to and representative of NikeTalk.  The preservation of NikeTalk's legacy content is well worth the added effort and expense, and that's where most of the complexity lies in this transition.  If it were simply a matter of running a brand new forum on NikeTalk.com to ensure that everyone has someplace to post, we could do that within hours. 

I know it can be difficult to just take that on faith, but hopefully you'll feel more confident and comfortable when we have a beta site available for our volunteer testers to check out.  

For now, though, I think the aforementioned Huddler sites should serve to demonstrate that this is a very achievable goal.  Each one made different choices, and each experienced its own issues, but they all succeeded in converting their communities' content and their sites all have a future to look forward to on a new, modern forum platform.  We will do the same.

The company we've partnered with has not only done this successfully, but delivered what's considered the smoothest migration in the history of the Huddler platform.  

The one site that didn't make it failed to attempt a migration, perhaps due to financial concerns. 

This is something we've prepared for, and we've spared no expense to achieve the best result possible.  

For @Nelson C  and myself, NikeTalk has been a part of our lives for over 17 years now.  We know how much it means to our fellow community members, and we're not taking any unnecessary risks with it.  

NikeTalk will survive this, and it's our goal to ensure that the loss of our current platform will not be a setback, but a step forward.  
da only thing i question is why go to Huddler in da first place if their vitals were questionable, their situation must've deteriorated fast.
1) Welcome to the world of tech companies. 

2) Had we not gone with Huddler, we wouldn't have been able to carry over any posts, accounts, or user data from the original site.  All of that would've been lost and we'd have started from scratch.

3) If we'd gone with, say, vbulletin, which was the de facto choice for independent forums at the time of our last move, we'd be looking to convert to more modern software now anyway.  

If I had to go back in time to 2012 and plan our escape from the forum Gulag we were stuck in back then, knowing everything I know now, I would still choose Huddler.  All told, you've had a positive experience here for almost five years, but the platform has run its course and now we're going to take the next step forward for our community. 

Okay Meth...

I can appreciate the concern, but that's not going to happen.  

We're doing far more than "hoping" for a great transition - we're preparing for it.  We've been working hard every day and will continue to make every necessary investment to deliver the best result we can for our fellow members. 

The company we've partnered with has already successfully ported a Huddler site to the same platform we'll be using.   The site only experienced about 20 hours of downtime - but most of that wasn't "total" downtime, but a "content lock" period during which posts could only be made to a special, temporary area that would not be transferred to the finished site.  Minor issues with user permissions, gallery albums, etc. were resolved within 24 hours.  The site not only retained its traffic, but increased its traffic after launch.

They retained their posts, images, articles, forums, and galleries.  Users were able to log in seamlessly using their existing passwords.  Account information like post count, join date, reputation score, follow lists, and ignore lists were maintained.  Private message conversations were carried over.  They even upgraded the site to HTTPS for greater security.   

While past performance is no guarantee of future success, we'll build in enough leeway in our departure to make sure that we have all the time we could possibly need to overcome almost any conceivable problem. 

Without getting into too much technical detail, it's not an "all or nothing" process.

We have everything we need right now to run a forum website today, but we're working to have all our content, accounts, etc. converted for us on the new platform, and to develop a look and feel that is unique to and representative of NikeTalk.  The preservation of NikeTalk's legacy content is well worth the added effort and expense, and that's where most of the complexity lies in this transition.  If it were simply a matter of running a brand new forum on NikeTalk.com to ensure that everyone has someplace to post, we could do that within hours. 

I know it can be difficult to just take that on faith, but hopefully you'll feel more confident and comfortable when we have a beta site available for our volunteer testers to check out.  

For now, though, I think the aforementioned Huddler sites should serve to demonstrate that this is a very achievable goal.  Each one made different choices, and each experienced its own issues, but they all succeeded in converting their communities' content and their sites all have a future to look forward to on a new, modern forum platform.  We will do the same.

The company we've partnered with has not only done this successfully, but delivered what's considered the smoothest migration in the history of the Huddler platform.  

The one site that didn't make it failed to attempt a migration, perhaps due to financial concerns. 

This is something we've prepared for, and we've spared no expense to achieve the best result possible.  

For @Nelson C
 and myself, NikeTalk has been a part of our lives for over 17 years now.  We know how much it means to our fellow community members, and we're not taking any unnecessary risks with it.  

NikeTalk will survive this, and it's our goal to ensure that the loss of our current platform will not be a setback, but a step forward.  

1) Welcome to the world of tech companies. 

2) Had we not gone with Huddler, we wouldn't have been able to carry over any posts, accounts, or user data from the original site.  All of that would've been lost and we'd have started from scratch.

3) If we'd gone with, say, vbulletin, which was the de facto choice for independent forums at the time of our last move, we'd be looking to convert to more modern software now anyway.  

If I had to go back in time to 2012 and plan our escape from the forum Gulag we were stuck in back then, knowing everything I know now, I would still choose Huddler.  All told, you've had a positive experience here for almost five years, but the platform has run its course and now we're going to take the next step forward for our community. 

Okay, cool I trust in your word and know you, as well as the other NT staff will make it happen.

I just have one more question/concern...

Do we (well you and any and everyone involved with NT) own the rights so to say of the actual site or will this move be like the previous move from yuku?

I remember that kid that was the owner or whatever he was trying to block us or take away niketalk... again I don't know all the specifics I just remember our last move the owner wasn't nice and the split wasn't amicable between NT and yuku.

Will the transition be a good one this time or will we have to worry about huddler being shady and trying to take away NT and patent it or some other plan?

yeah i aint tripping, makes sense.

Do we (well you and any and everyone involved with NT) own the rights so to say of the actual site or will this move be like the previous move from yuku?

I remember that kid that was the owner or whatever he was trying to block us or take away niketalk... again I don't know all the specifics I just remember our last move the owner wasn't nice and the split wasn't amicable between NT and yuku.

Will the transition be a good one this time or will we have to worry about huddler being shady and trying to take away NT and patent it or some other plan?
I've addressed this before, but, for the sake of clarity I want to reiterate that this will be an amicable parting of ways between NikeTalk, Wikia, and Huddler.

We own the rights to our data.  We have already received a copy of the site data.  However, since new content is added to constantly added, we will, with Wikia's cooperation, receive an update copy just prior to our move to ensure that the new site will be as current as possible.  The only posts we'll lose will be those made to a special temporary forum established once we need to go into "content lock," which will likely occur the day before our relaunch on the new platform.  We'll be sure to give everyone advance notice.

There's no reason to worry about Huddler "being shady and trying to take away NT" data and misuse it.  First, their parent company owns the forum software - but not the rights to our data.  Data ownership was, obviously, an important concern heading in.  That's not an issue.  Second, Wikia, Inc. is on another level than the companies we dealt with during our time on the previous platform.  Wikia's been a top 25 web destination in North America for some time now.  If, for reasons defying all logic, they somehow wanted to destroy their business and its reputation, they'd find a better and more dramatic way to accomplish that.  We were the #1 community on our old forum network.  We might be in the top percentile among their millions of communities, but we're hardly a leading traffic driver on Wikia.  They're going their way, and we're going ours. 

We fully expect the move to be managed with professionalism and courtesy.

Moving forward, we'll be more independent than ever.  If there's ever a problem with the platform, advertising, or hosting on the new site, we can change or upgrade those components or service providers independently and as needed. 

How do I know if my account is transferred from the old platform? I think it is...not sure... @Methodical Management
The one you're using now has a join date of 2003.  If it's working now, you're good.  Your account will transfer over and, at relaunch, you can just sign in with your current password. 

Some people have their browser store their password and sign in automatically.  Those who do so should take a moment to make sure that they know their passwords and that the email address they've associated with their accounts is up to date.

Moving forward, we're looking into using text messages for account recovery, to help make lost passwords and the like more convenient.  

I've addressed this before, but, for the sake of clarity I want to reiterate that this will be an amicable parting of ways between NikeTalk, Wikia, and Huddler.

We own the rights to our data.  We have already received a copy of the site data.  However, since new content is added to constantly added, we will, with Wikia's cooperation, receive an update copy just prior to our move to ensure that the new site will be as current as possible.  The only posts we'll lose will be those made to a special temporary forum established once we need to go into "content lock," which will likely occur the day before our relaunch on the new platform.  We'll be sure to give everyone advance notice.

There's no reason to worry about Huddler "being shady and trying to take away NT" data and misuse it.  First, their parent company owns the forum software - but not the rights to our data.  Data ownership was, obviously, an important concern heading in.  That's not an issue.  Second, Wikia, Inc. is on another level than the companies we dealt with during our time on the previous platform.  Wikia's been a top 25 web destination in North America for some time now.  If, for reasons defying all logic, they somehow wanted to destroy their business and its reputation, they'd find a better and more dramatic way to accomplish that.  We were the #1 community on our old forum network.  We might be in the top percentile among their millions of communities, but we're hardly a leading traffic driver on Wikia.  They're going their way, and we're going ours. 

We fully expect the move to be managed with professionalism and courtesy.

Moving forward, we'll be more independent than ever.  If there's ever a problem with the platform, advertising, or hosting on the new site, we can change or upgrade those components or service providers independently and as needed. 

Okay cool...

Also, you're right I saw that you answered the shadiness question before in the beginning of the thread.

Will my post count carry over? I lost like 5K posts during the last move.
laugh.gif
Yes, post counts and join dates will carry over for every user. 

The last move was an extreme challenge for many reasons.  We will always appreciate Huddler's efforts in helping us save our community and its history, but, because of those efforts, we'll have fewer barriers to overcome in converting the data this time around.  

We've already secured a copy of our site's data, including all of the pictures everyone's uploaded directly to the site over the years.  A conversion from our old platform to Huddler had never been attempted before and has never been attempted since.  Now, we're working with a team that's already done this before - recently, and with great success.  As a result, we anticipate a cleaner migration and a better experience.  

Generally speaking, the only things we'll be unable to carry over will be those for which a direct equivalent does not exist on the new platform.  Let's take buy/sell feedback, for example.  The new platform doesn't have a buy/sell system built in.  We might be able to find an add on or have something developed, at which point we could try to incorporate existing buy/sell feedback.  If we don't have such a system to start, however, we'll be unable to make use of that information.  The corresponding feature won't exist.  We won't LOSE the data, we just wouldn't have a place for it right away.  

With regards to post counts, there's a clear destination for that data.  Post counts exist on the new system, so we can transfer those over for each user.  It takes a LOT of work to remap and convert everything, but we're committed to making that effort.  We're proud of NikeTalk's 17 year history and will do everything we can to preserve it.  

Will the .gif maximum upload size for desktop go up?
Will photo usage be easier?

I know these questions are hardly urgent so if you want to just answer them when you are writing up more important information, totally fine. Absolutely no rush :lol:

I kinda would like my post count to go back to 0 :lol:

Looking forward to the change.

In terms of the quoting system, hopefully

1. Only the last quote gets quoted. Seeing multiple quotes in a chain can be a pain to scroll through.

2. Long blocks of quoted pictures should be placed in spoilers.

is da embed system finally gonna work for anything other than YouTube, Vimeo? it took years just to find da IG work around...

Along with being able to embed more types of videos, please make it possible to embed tweets.

Search in the mobile version of the website would be great too.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the way NT is.

Along with being able to embed more types of videos, please make it possible to embed tweets.

tweet/Instagram embeds are crucial.

There IS a search option in Mobile. :lol:

:wow: never knew about the search. thanks.

but it doesn't let you search by username like you can on desktop. or am i missing that too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom