No Alcohol August: Challenged Accepted

Premise: For many young professionals, specifically post-college graduates, the most common social activity is Happy Hour and networking over drinks.

Personal: I certainly enjoy a nice glass of red wine with dinner or a cold beer watching a UFC card with the fellas.

Benefits: Physical fitness, cleanse the body of empty calories.
Financial prudence, save the cost of exorbitant bar tabs and buying drinks for attractive females.
Less hangovers and poor mornings, mind and body will feel fresher.
Increased productivity with more beneficial activities, perhaps volunteering, reading, or learning a new hobby/skill.

I'd love for my NT brethren to join me. Temptation will lurk and weekends will be admittedly difficult. Any longer than a month may be extremely challenging but I believe it's entirely possible to stay solid and alcohol-free throughout August and possibly beyond, depending on the results of this trial run.

Love NTers months... always brings positive vibes...

Except for the small haters..

"Why y'all doing this " "y'all lame " yadda yadda...

Personally I don't drink, but I hope y'all get it done.

:pimp: :pimp:

Ricky, I've noticed you're one of the more positive dudes on this board. Appreciate the support, brotha.

Random side note: Credit you for coining the term "yambs." Comedy every time I hear it. Starting to add the word to my regular slang among the homies. :pimp:

I fully support this. I am in...All my boys drink so it will be tough, but I am down for a good break!

Let's check in here and post temptations at the bar etc...

Last edited:
I fully support this. I am in...All my boys drink so it will be tough, but I am down for a good break!
Let's check in here and post temptations at the bar etc...
Great idea, man. Solidarity is key and I feel like most of us young professionals can relate to experiences with temptation.

Posted on Facebook to let my network and friends know I was doing my best to refrain from any and all drinking for personal cleansing.

I'll start: August 1st. Figures the first day I start the challenge a close buddy of mine (we run pickup basketball a lot) hits me up around 11 PM to attend a local house party in my town. Girls, beer pong, flip cup, hookah, the usual stuff. For me, the biggest temptation is resisting the urge for competition. My favorite part about drinking games is competition and winning. Ultimately I'm proud of myself for turning down the opportunity and staying in to do some light reading while watching the Olympics.

Oh, damn, whole month? Cant do that. Birthday's next weekend and I'll be at a music festival in San Fran. Definitely gonna be a little more than drunk most of that time. I'll try it the rest of the month though, that'll be challenging enough.

I've found that If I drink in the mornings I won't wake up with hang over the next day.

So I'm good.

Oh, damn, whole month? Cant do that. Birthday's next weekend and I'll be at a music festival in San Fran. Definitely gonna be a little more than drunk most of that time. I'll try it the rest of the month though, that'll be challenging enough.
I can relate, same boat. Happy Early Birthday, man! My birthday's on the 13th (Monday), probably the toughest single day of the month to resist. I'm usually a low key guy about celebrating but I know my close friends will want to take me out and buy shots (Patron). Turning them down will be the hard part, maybe I can suggest another alcohol-free birthday activity.

RCK: It's not too late for a clean slate. Only August 3rd technically. I'm thinking we can allow or cope with one "cheat day" similar to a "cheat meal" for those passionate about nutrition and dieting. We all have experienced slip-ups or unique events (birthday, wedding, etc.).

im all for this, good luck to those who join in....but this is the worst month for me to do this lol...even though I've cut off beer personally for a while

Damn.. wish I woulda seen this a couple hours ago. Lol... I guess I'll catch it next time.

Props to all taking it on.

Had a family dinner a couple days ago. Do I still qualify :lol:

Have a wedding in a couple weeks too. Craps.

Last edited:
RCK: It's not too late for a clean slate. Only August 3rd technically. I'm thinking we can allow or cope with one "cheat day" similar to a "cheat meal" for those passionate about nutrition and dieting. We all have experienced slip-ups or unique events (birthday, wedding, etc.).
Knowing how I am and my complexes, its just illogical for me to commit to this 
laugh.gif

Although I really should take yall up on this. I need to keep this body right

In fairness to those interested in participating: I should have made this thread in advance (July 31st or sooner), so everyone feel free to join in from this point on.

Temptation: August 2nd. A close friend of mine (through soccer) recently got a new job at a good company. Invited me out for dinner and drinks in NYC with some of the new co-workers. Professional women, classy booze, and networking opportunities. Went jogging and hit a second workout instead. I suppose the most difficult challenge is replacing drinking and partying with a more productive, enjoyable hobby. I love reading, sports, and working out but let's hope those interests can last a month or longer. I'm also strongly considering to adopt a puppy (German Shepherd or Siberian Husky) which would take up a lot of time and attention.

I can't drink anyway being pregnant-this by far has been one of the hardest sacrafices ever lol.

Thank you!!! I'm still very early ( 10 weeks) but I will be definitely be needing a shot of the finest Ciroc once this is all over!

Thank you!! Still very early (10 weeks) but I'm looking forward to my first shot after this is all over!!

Wish I could participate in this but the bottle will be calling this weekend.........

Good luck to all participating.

Well I think I'm for the challenge. I just got into accident and broke my collarbone. With surgery on its way and pain meds will definitely put me in the sideline :smh:

Well I think I'm for the challenge. I just got into accident and broke my collarbone. With surgery on its way and pain meds will definitely put me in the sideline :smh:
Sorry to hear that, man. Wish you a speedy and full recovery.

Temptation: August 3rd. Thinking about having a nice Italian dinner to enjoy the nice weather (heat) in Jersey. The thought of iced water or juice with the meal doesn't quite excite the senses like a nice Silver Oak Cabernet.

Back
Top Bottom