NT Artist i got a question

solarius49

Banned
So ive been working on writing this graphic novel, and i would love to do the art myself. my problem is that I'm not really a natural artist. So my question is, can one LEARN to draw well or is it more of a natural talent that you have to have?

there's a manga called bakuman read it and maybe the answer to your question will come to you (there's also an anime for it). While it deals with the creation of manga and not graphic novels, I would imagine it's the same process. To answer your question you're probably better off teaming up with someone to take care of the drawings while you take care of the story telling. Yes you can learn to draw well but all of that depends on how far you're willing to break things down, so you have a foundation to build your craft upon

For example when I was learning to play the guitar and when I use to play the sax, one of the things I payed close attention to was the phrasing of the chords I played, there are times where I would spend hrs on a simple three chord movement in the beginning because the transition and phrasing wasn't right on one string in a barre chord. I still do this today and take this approach to my singing. With drawing the equivalent would be learning how to use certain pens to create the proper shading, out line and expressions. Or drawing the same movement/position of a character hundreds of times until you get it right

Originally Posted by solarius49

So ive been working on writing this graphic novel, and i would love to do the art myself. my problem is that I'm not really a natural artist. So my question is, can one LEARN to draw well or is it more of a natural talent that you have to have?
Very rarely do people start creating art that is amazing from the beginning. It takes a lot of practice. You will start off making things that look like !!$* but don't be discouraged because the best way to improve is by learning from mistakes. My advice to you, if you're interested in illustration, would be to keep a sketchbook and just draw whenever you can. Draw things familiar to you. Draw things you see everyday. Draw the mundane. Also, surround yourself with art that you are interested in. Look up artists or illustrators that you dig and try to take influences from them. That doesn't mean copying their style but more so taking what you think is the strongest about it and incorporating it into your own work.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Very rarely do people start creating art that is amazing from the beginning. It takes a lot of practice. You will start off making things that look like !!$* but don't be discouraged because the best way to improve is by learning from mistakes. My advice to you, if you're interested in illustration, would be to keep a sketchbook and just draw whenever you can. Draw things familiar to you. Draw things you see everyday. Draw the mundane. Also, surround yourself with art that you are interested in. Look up artists or illustrators that you dig and try to take influences from them. That doesn't mean copying their style but more so taking what you think is the strongest about it and incorporating it into your own work.
This. There may be some natural ability involved but like everything else, it's practice. I hate when people look at my drawings and say "you are so lucky you can draw well". It's not luck, good artists put in the work.

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

This. There may be some natural ability involved but like everything else, it's practice. I hate when people look at my drawings and say "you are so lucky you can draw well". It's not luck, good artists put in the work.
agreed 

In the beginning it's 99% work and 1% talent, only after many years of practice will this statistic turn around

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

There may be some natural ability involved but like everything else, it's practice. It's not luck, good artists put in the work.

yup. all of this. 

I'm doing the same thing OP, got a couple story ideas floating around in my head. I'd really like to see how yours turns out. You got anything i can follow to keep updated?

It takes time but I honestly believe its something youre born with, I just started drawing this week (havent drawn anything in months) and its like second nature to me. Not that Im Picasso or anything lol but it just come naturally to me.

I think that being nice at drawing is something that comes naturally.

Never in my life have I known anyone that has "learned" to draw well.

i think everyone is sorta right. i mean i never took lessons etc and i was drawing portraits at like 5 y/o. i did painting airbrushing etc at a young age and never was taught. as far as practice im not sure as i did draw alot so maybe that was practicing. i did recently while cleaning my basement (my youngest is kinda good at drawing and didnt believe i could) found some old drawings i didnt finish and tried to finish them up and my skills werent quite up to par like they use to be.

You can teach yourself the process, but a person with talent and the same dedication will always outshine.

It is very much possible, but will take time.. time that could be spent becoming that much better of a writer/storyteller, which is what you currently do.

Given the ability of the artist, you may find that having someone else draw your work may result in a final product that exceeds your initial expectations in ways you could never imagine. There's no way that someone who just started drawing can add the depth, beauty and detail of an artist who considers drawing their true art and has the experience to prove it. Just be really picky in who you choose to work with; the right fit will be the person that makes you realize that you could never have drawn your own story as well as him/her.

Collaboration is a beautiful thing, and an art in its own right. Not to say that you can't draw it yourself; it is very possible and may be the only way to execute your own ideas exactly as your imagination portrays them. However, the execution of your ideas will be limited to your own ability to draw them, which can result in a long period of underwhelming projects. I can almost guarantee that if you decide to draw out your own work for this first project, you will look back on it in the future and realize you could have made it a lot better. If you're willing to live with that, then follow your heart; but at least give the idea of collaboration a shot first and see what other artists can bring to the table, if they're good enough your decision will be made for you.

Originally Posted by PLVN

Speaking from an artists perspective, drawing is not a god given gift and not a talent. Drawing is an extension of your personality. If you don't draw and start drawing you will automatically have a style. Everyone has a style in everything they do. It's up to choose where you want to nurture that. 

Originally Posted by millionuppercuts

Originally Posted by PLVN

Speaking from an artists perspective, drawing is not a god given gift and not a talent. Drawing is an extension of your personality. If you don't draw and start drawing you will automatically have a style. Everyone has a style in everything they do. It's up to choose where you want to nurture that. 
So much truth. 

Back
Top Bottom