NT Book Club Vol. WDYRTD

Holy **** @Andretti :lol:

You're doing a whole course. Lol.

But nonetheless, they're really good reads in contrast to what I believe is happening today from a social conditioning standpoint; emasculation.

Reading 'A Random Walk on Wall Street' now.

Last edited:
Holy **** @Andretti :lol:

You're doing a whole course. Lol.

But nonetheless, they're really good reads in contrast to what I believe is happening today from a social conditioning standpoint; emasculation.

Reading 'A Random Walk on Wall Street' now.
Thanks man. I'm almost through two books that speak on that and things are starting to click already.

What's that book about that you are reading?

Thanks man. I'm almost through two books that speak on that and things are starting to click already.

What's that book about that you are reading?

It's a general book on classic financial strategies and a relative guide to understanding today's financial instruments. I've read Buffet's favorite The Intelligent Investor in the past.

I try to have a book in my rotation not too far removed from that stack of yours. I've read The Game while in college almost 7 years ago and his follow up book The Truth just recently. Around that time I was also reading the Art of Seduction by Robert Greene. I've heard great things about Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. My homie who teaches philosophy at a private all-boys high school recommended it to me.

I started reading content related to that stack after I read Tim Ferris's 4-Hour-Work-Week and began to listen to his podcast. It was the book (as they say, lol) that changed my outlook on things. IMO, all of his books within the 4-hour series are rooted in developing great traits/skills overall as a dude -- or rather the skills to be a Leader of Men. His podcast has become one of the better platforms to learn about a variety of topics (e.g. routines, habits, leadership, entrepreneurship) and upcoming book releases too. Most are mainstream, like The Game but a starting point to find hidden gems like The Rational Male.

I realized the publishing world is really small once the authors began to appear on each other's podcasts as part of their overall marketing efforts for their new books. And I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing altogether. Ferris's sit down with Tony Robbins, Neil Strauss, Jamie Foxx, and Jon Favreau were dope. It also introduced me to other authors who have a unique perspective James Altucher, Ryan Holiday, and Seth Godin. Mind you, audio is a more intimate medium, so you can really get a feel about their thoughts during their discussion.

At least to Ferris, Holiday, and Altucher, they all seem to have high regard for Robert Greene (48 Laws of Power, Mastery) since his books cover historical figures and stories that are themed appropriately to the problems we face as humans today with actionable strategies. At some point, reading, inventing, generating flow, and the amount of women all have diminishing returns relative to our happiness. To the point where some ask, "What's the end goal?" or "What's the purpose to life?" Despite their success, I've come to understood why they too, Ferris and Holiday, recommend Seneca and the practice of Stoicism.

In relation to your stack, to be stoic is relative to the theme of "not giving a sh*t." It's subject to debate as noted from the other thread. To me, I'm of the mindset to be geared more so to the continuous development of maintaining internal frame against others -- a sense of objective mental fortitude of your own views and values. Marcus Aurelias is a prime example of a powerful man in a Greek society who practiced Stocism to soothe his thoughts as described in Meditations. Strip away everything today and think of that dude! Lol. There's also Epicureanism, and new-Platonism as ways of life, but that's another conversation. Hence, the Classics.

subcribed to ryan holidays newsletter, going to have to cop his new book eventually

I'm about halfway through Letters From A Stoic. Reading more about the Stoics has really changed my outlook on a lot of things, particularly my everyday obstacles I face at work and how I deal with relationships. I read through Meditations once, but lately I've been picking a short passage in the morning to read and let resonate with me for the rest of the day. I highly suggest subscribing to ryan holiday's newsletter, I found out about that through here so shoutouts to whomever put that out there!

Straight. :pimp: I'm halfway through the game and without finishing the book I've taken away a few things from it. The main thing is to not put too much focus into women (because setting other things aside for p or just the thrill of chasing it is not a good ideas :lol: )but the skills you've learned doing so you can apply it to other things in life so that's dope right there.

I've heard of the four hour work week so I'll throw that on my next list of books to read I'll have to check out those podcast. I've read 48 laws of power a few years back but I might pick it up again and cop mastery . I'm currently on jack Donovan's "a sky without eagles " it's recommend to not read it straight through because they are just a bunch of speeches and essays but I'm doing it anyway :lol: . After I finish that and the game I'll pick Seneca back up and finish that joint.

A book I can recommend you is jack Donovan's "the way of men" . It's straight forward unapologetic **** that gets to the roots of gender roles and how **** should be . The importance and value of brother hood.
Last but not least the difference between being a good man and being good as being a man.

Far a not giving a **** (stoicism) I'll just say it depends on the situation.id like to perfect not showing emotion though which brings me into another book I could recommend, "what everybody is saying " ( body language)

I read a few pages then sat back and remember some situation where I looked at people reactions to somethings I'd say or hell just walking into a room of people. It is true that actions speak louder than words.

subcribed to ryan holidays newsletter, going to have to cop his new book eventually

I'm about halfway through Letters From A Stoic. Reading more about the Stoics has really changed my outlook on a lot of things, particularly my everyday obstacles I face at work and how I deal with relationships. I read through Meditations once, but lately I've been picking a short passage in the morning to read and let resonate with me for the rest of the day. I highly suggest subscribing to ryan holiday's newsletter, I found out about that through here so shoutouts to whomever put that out there!

This.

We all know we can't please everyone and we're going to have haters. It's such a great thing to tap into throughout the day to combat what others have to say that we may disagree with or attack us implicitly.

I'm not perfect myself and hope I didn't come across as holier than thou. It's just good to know others on this board are actively seeking ways to better themselves through similar content I've read before that I had to chime in. Enjoy the reading man and don't take it too seriously. :pimp:

Last edited:
Those are the 7 original paperback Holloway House covers in chronological order of publication.
I couldn't find a website with all the original covers together...so I have posted them here.

I have not read them all, but critics tend to give 'Trick Baby' & 'Mama Black Widow' the highest praise...but I like the 1st one 'Pimp' & the last one 'Airtight Willie & Me.'

'Airtight Willie & Me' was the first Slim I discovered years ago, so I am partial to it; though not a complete novel in itself, it's actually a collection
of short stories Slim wrote for Players Magazine, making it different that the rest in that regard.

'Long White Con' is a sequel or follow-up to 'Trick Baby' so it might be good to read those two back-to-back.

:nthat:

Last edited:
My homie put me on to 'Pimp'. Ive heard of 'Trick Baby' and its supposedly a good read, same with 'Long White Con'. Ima have to peep all those eventually tho :lol:. Good post!

Edit: i thought the OG cover for 'Pimp' was pink?

This is the cover i have, pretty sure its a newer release. Bought it recently from amazon

Last edited:
i thought the OG cover for 'Pimp' was pink?

I posted the original 1967 cover.
I believe these were originally published under Holloway House as paperbacks, cheap paperbacks.
The first two (HH-139 & HH-151) were published a few months apart in 1967 & you can see the covers show the 95 cent price.
I don't know when they started printing hard covers - sometime after the paperbacks - the first one of those may be pink, but I don't think I've seen it.

1967 catalog of copyrights, part 1 & 2 - search holloway house or beck
https://books.google.com/books?id=S...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
https://books.google.com/books?id=2...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

under 'writing'...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceberg_Slim

1st edition for sale here...
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=slim+iceberg&fe=on&sortby=1&wassortselected=true

all 7 original covers are difficult to come by these days
-i should maybe edit them out-

Last edited:
Mom dukes grabbed this book and bottle of white henny for me and I never even glanced at the book. I'm ashamed. I gotta do better

Book is crazy. Dude goes from square to in there and if you see and hear dude in interviews it makes the story even more of a wtf. You should definitely hit it up. :pimp:

Jumping into this one next...

For sure. Im still getting thru art of seduction. This one looks good too. Respect for posting em, gonna be my next 2 pick ups

Back
Top Bottom