NT, convince me "cutting the cord" is a good idea

Repped. How much of this do I need to set up to get all these streaming features you have? Or does the chromebox find the best available streaming site?
Here's my total cost for my setup:

- ASUS Chromebox $179.99

- Wired keyboard / mouse $15.00

THAT IS IT!  No monthly fees, no DVR rental or subscriptions!

navi-x is too clutch when it comes to sports and ppvs 
nthat.gif

I Assume you just go to the sites and stream
you don't go to a "site" per se...you just use an app called an "add-on" within XBMC that specializes on what you want to do (movies, tv, sports), and you just click away.  Peep the vid I posted and you can get an idea of how the apps look/called.

I'm ready to cop something, but now y'all got me trying to figure out which one to get. Asus Chromebox, chromecast, or amazon fire tv? All these do the same thing basically right? The big thing for me is to be able to catch live sports.

Picked up the Roku streaming stick over the weekend.

I'm pretty disappointed in it. I guess it can be cool if you have subscriptions to Hulu, netflix etc etc..but as far as FREE channels..there isn't much.

And if it is free stuff, it's like clips.

Might end up returning it and getting the chromebox to set up XBMC.

Finally decided to check this thread out and I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the topic of conversation.

This whole time, I thought y'all were in here discussing vasectomies. Had me sitting here like, "11 pages? These dudes really in there arguing and debating about vasectomies?"...lolol

Cable came in today. I just started at that thing. I'm only home for 5 hours s day smh
Finally decided to check this thread out and I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the topic of conversation.

This whole time, I thought y'all were in here discussing vasectomies. Had me sitting here like, "11 pages? These dudes really in there arguing and debating about vasectomies?"...lolol

Check page 2

roll.gif

roll.gif

I'm legitimately baffled that people are talking about anything other than the Fire TV in this thread? I don't understand what on earth you could possibly want more than what is offered on the Fire TV. I mean, every single movie or tv show imaginable streaming free. Someone please tell me what the hell the point of this thread is and what on earth you all are debating?

Also, Fire TV on sale for $84.99 F/S at Staples: http://www.staples.com/Amazon-Streaming-Media-Player/product_338326

Because running openelec is the truest form of running xbmc. I dont wanna run it ontop of Android Bloatware. We can compare speed, streams, reliabilty, etc. my Asus Chromebox > amazon firetv

Picked up the Roku streaming stick over the weekend.

I'm pretty disappointed in it. I guess it can be cool if you have subscriptions to Hulu, netflix etc etc..but as far as FREE channels..there isn't much.

And if it is free stuff, it's like clips.

Might end up returning it and getting the chromebox to set up XBMC.

Return that mother

Its coming time that I cut my cord. Debating out of the Asus Chromebox or the XMBC. Mostly the only programs I watch are NBATV, live sports, movies, and TV shows off HBO/Showtime.

Just want good quality from the streaming. Looking to go the Chromebox route after reading lokid300s lokid300s post. I'll pay for HBOGO and Showtime mobile(if there is one) if I'm not able to stream those channels for free.

Its coming time that I cut my cord. Debating out of the Asus Chromebox or the XMBC. Mostly the only programs I watch are NBATV, live sports, movies, and TV shows off HBO/Showtime.

Just want good quality from the streaming. Looking to go the Chromebox route after reading @lokid300s post. I'll pay for HBOGO and Showtime mobile(if there is one) if I'm not able to stream those channels for free.
Just make sure you are knowledgable and read the wiki on how to install openelec.  then learn how xbmc works and all the different repositories you can add. learn about all the great add-ons.  just like you are here in niketalk, go to xbmchub forums, xbmc.org forums, and openelec forums and get your learn on.  When ur ready, you won't need to pay for HBOGO or Showtime mobile, because you'll be watching all them shows on demand in 720p.

Just make sure you are knowledgable and read the wiki on how to install openelec.  then learn how xbmc works and all the different repositories you can add. learn about all the great add-ons.  just like you are here in niketalk, go to xbmchub forums, xbmc.org forums, and openelec forums and get your learn on.  When ur ready, you won't need to pay for HBOGO or Showtime mobile, because you'll be watching all them shows on demand in 720p.
Cool son I'm going to read up on everything for about 2 weeks before my make my decision. I was doing the same when I purchased my Boxee Box but the company decided to do away with he project.

I believe paying for cable is just a convenient for me

Just asking for an opinion on it. looking to cut the chord myself.
right on...the good thing is its only $166 on Amazon (was $179), the HP Version of the Chromebox is only $150.00!!  Here's my setup, hope it helps you out brotha.  Great username btw:

right on...the good thing is its only $166 on Amazon (was $179), the HP Version of the Chromebox is only $150.00!!  Here's my setup, hope it helps you out brotha.  Great username btw:

Preciate it brotha and Preciate you as well for helping! Repped!

Last edited:
NTers with XBMC if you watch live sports, where do you find a reliable and HD stream? I try not to use p2p-streams. I've tried Sportsdevil and most of the streams arent reliable. Most of the time I use Buzzys Sports streams from the Live section in Mash-up and its decent.

For those who want to buy the FireTV from staples, google "cn-usa staples 30 off 80" and you can buy a 30 off 80 coupon for $5 paypal. Bringing the net cost of the FireTV to ~$60. 

Last edited:
NTers with XBMC if you watch live sports, where do you find a reliable and HD stream? I try not to use p2p-streams. I've tried Sportsdevil and most of the streams arent reliable. Most of the time I use Buzzys Sports streams from the Live section in Mash-up and its decent.

For those who want to buy the FireTV from staples, google "cn-usa staples 30 off 80" and you can buy a 30 off 80 coupon for $5 paypal. Bringing the net cost of the FireTV to ~$60. 

Why not use p2p stream for sports? Thats HD almost all the time using rojadirecta or wizwig. If not, then use navix and goto hd sports streams like i show on the youtube. Good luck

Just moved into my own apartment.

Got Comcast (25mbs down HD Local channels and HD HBO) for $60 for a year. That'll be for my big tv in the living room

Picked up a $10 flat antenna off amazon.com for my bedroom tv

Back
Top Bottom