NT, convince me "cutting the cord" is a good idea

Yes Kodi itself is legal, but those addons that allow live tv, movie channels, ppv, etc are ILLEGAL. Just an fyi for people who's jobs require them to be on the straight and narrow lifestyle.
I appreciate the clarification, but I don't think that's going to be enough.  

Kodi is "legal" in the same way that other peer to peer file sharing services like Napster are said to be legal.  In practice, only a tiny minority of people were using these services legally.  

Let's just be honest: nobody in this context is discussing its legal uses and it's therefore not allowed.  

"I can help you set up the app here.... but if you need help getting programming you'll need to PM me."  Nah, we're good on that.  

To keep it simple:  No more Kodi talk.  

There's a valid discussion here for consumers interested in learning about Internet-based subscription services, programming providers, etc. as an alternative to cable or satellite television.  

We don't, however, want people abusing our forums to facilitate criminal activity.  

That shouldn't be so difficult to respect. 

I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere in here but I'm too lazy to read every page..Can someone hip me to the Fire Tv Stick?

Buddy of mine got the new Apple TV and gave me his old one. Was using a chrome cast before but this is way better. I was thinking of using my own modem and giving Comcast back their and then just getting rid of the extra channels but it doesn't add up to that much in savings. I'd still be paying a ton for high speed internet on Comcast. Any suggestions from other providers would be appreciated but I don't get Verizon where I live.

Haven't looked back in this thread, but could someone please tell me what's the best device used to watch Live TV and live sports?

What's more important to me would probably be the live sports (specifically Knicks games).

Should I get a Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 4, Chromebox, Nexus Player or what?

Last edited:
This thread has been ruined
mean.gif
lol might as well lock this bad boy up now.
LeBron-James-Smallest-Violin-Gif.gif

Haven't looked back in this thread, but could someone please tell me what's the best device used to watch Live TV and live sports?

What's more important to me would probably be the live sports (specifically Knicks games).

Should I get a Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 4, Chromebox, Nexus Player or what?
If you're out of market, that's easy:  any of the above and then get league pass digital.  With a cable provider, it's $200 and you get digital access, but they offer digital only access for $180 and you can sign up to follow a single team for $99.  

http://www.nba.com/leaguepass/  

If you're in market, you're stuck with cable due to outmoded regional blackout policies.  Most of the regional sports networks have streaming apps now, but only for cable subscribers.  They don't yet offer a la carte subscriptions like HBO. 

^ That really, really sucks. That x'es out so many potential customers.

Guys, how do you feel about hulu content wise?

Last edited:
^ That really, really sucks. That x'es out so many potential customers.
I agree with you there.  There have been lawsuits against this practice, on the grounds that it violates antitrust laws, but the results to date have been disappointing:  http://fortune.com/2015/06/12/nhl-blackouts-settlement/

One other irritating caveat re: League Pass Broadband subscriptions:  the service does not include games broadcast on ESPN, ABC, TNT, or - most inexplicably - NBATV.  Keep in mind, Turner is responsible for NBA.com and the NBA Gametime apps, which facilitate league pass, as well as NBATV.  

Each week, visitors to NBA.com can vote to choose which Tuesday night NBA matchup will be the "fan night" game to air on NBATV.  If you have League Pass, you're basically then voting to decide which game you then CAN'T watch on your PC or mobile devices.  

For legal the fire tv is your best bet. Free content with prime, HBO shows and now with premium channels add ons. You can get it free/cheap with a sling tv bundle. Hulu is good for new content, my issue is lack of control like Netflix. Also they're videos are high quality, but that will contribute to your cap very fast if you have one. I used to get the cap email monthly with Hulu, haven't had one since I got rid of it.

After I pay this $175 I owe to Comcast, I'm going back to them for internet. At $35/mo. for a year, I can't beat that price; after that, I'll bounce back to Fios and keep repeating the cycle until they tell me I can't.

Plan on getting SlingTV w/ the kids channel add-on, save 30% w/ T-mobile discount. and I'm pre-paying the 3 months to get the free Roku 2. Add my Netflix and I'm paying about $53/mo. which isn't bad.

Now I just need to find a good streaming box w/ a USB that'll allow me to use my external media w/o issues. Roku doesn't support a lot of media files and the ones they do support have a heavy latency w/ the audio.

Dish Network's Sling TV has gone live. Anyone try it out yet? Free 7 day trial

Any feedback on this?

I think i am going to try it. I am so done with comcast the only thing i can't figure out is how to get NBC and NBCSN so i can watch EPL games. Any feedback would be appreciated. The NBCSN FAQ page basically makes it seem like you need a cable subscription to get it.

Can i just get regular NBC with the box that replaced tv antennas when everything went digital?

It's funny a lil when even in the most unassuming threads meth makes an appearance
And then regulates :lol:

I got here too late :lol: :smh:

I stream using the NBA League Pass app on my PS4 and not getting the NBA TV games makes zero sense to me. Plus I can't get any local games (even though I rarely care to see the Hawks). I know the easy way around that but I don't care to set all of that up.

I just one of those Android boxes and other than the trash remote, it's nice to have everything there. I have to play with it more to fully see what it can do. Main issue I've run into so far is so much comes with it. I plan to go in and delete a lot of the add ons and what not.

Any feedback on this??

I have Sling TV, it's great. No need for physical hardware, flat $20 a month to get 1080P ESPN/TNT and TBS (occasional MLB), plus live streaming on devices too.

Overall it's worked very well, the only downside is that it's crashed a few times, plus it doesn't include ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/ FOX SPORTS

What I do is use a digital antenna for Sunday football games, the rest of the week I'm using Sling if anything comes on.

and of course if you need to see something badly you can figure that out :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom