NT Corporate BROTHAS...Serious question regarding hair

I already rock that fade with a beard, I doubt they scoff if I throw in a part. But nah.
They prolly won't scoff, but they'll look at it and think "SMH" "that's not professional" in their head. There i a reason why you said "But nah". Deep down you know that's not kosher in the corporate work place.

Last edited:
Y'all really giving the guy a hard time for stating the obvious. Is it right that black people have to look a certain way to advance because of stereotypes, no. But its the truth. Even your name can keep you from getting an interview. Its not right, but its the truth.

When you reach a certain level in corporate, you are not just a worker, you represent that companies brand and image that they are trying to portray.

You dudes are really something else.
A dude makes a thread about corporate world haircuts for the brothas and when someone comes in and tries to say yes...there is a code, you all want to play the race card.
This **** is borderline entrapment.
I know, right? Straight ridiculous. Just because I'm not black, that means I don't know what does and does not look professional on a black man's head?

That's just not true. Just like black guys know what does and does not look professional on mine. The understanding is the same for everyone, and the "code" is universal. We all know what suits do and do not look professional as well. The understanding is common among all races. This isn't even about being black at all, why do we keep going there at every given opportunity?  

low cut. fade with taper on the sides, well groomed facial hair. thats it, thats all.
WE all know what WE can and cant do hair wise in the working world.
and yes when I say "we" I mean blacks.

of course Im sure there are variances depending on certain corporations and who is in charge.
but I wouldnt necessarily just make it a black thing. Im sure theres plenty of
well groomed corporate white dudes that wish they could come to work grunged out like kurt cobain.

low cut. fade with taper on the sides, well groomed facial hair. thats it, thats all.
WE all know what WE can and cant do hair wise in the working world.
and yes when I say "we" I mean blacks.

of course Im sure there are variances depending on certain corporations and who is in charge.
but I wouldnt necessarily just make it a black thing. Im sure theres plenty of
well groomed corporate white dudes that wish they could come to work grunged out like kurt cobain.
I'm not gonna lie...it's very refreshing to see and hear a black man on NT that thinks like this.

You obviously have a very mature and modern perception of what concepts are based on racist ideals and which ones aren't. You know when the race card DOES AND DOES NOT APPLY.

That second paragraph says just as much as the first one. Repped. 

Last edited:
Yall can argue with aksuited all you want, but in most office/business environments that's exactly how they feel and judge us.
This. Youre judged the second your application/resume hits the system and its read. And thats off of just the limited info of
name, previous employment and pay, organization involvement and education. If people are able to judge u just off those

small pieces of information, its 10 times that once they see you. So a hair cut, especially one that may not be considered 

"normal" is open season on you all depending on your work place environment.

While there's no denying that this is what corporate America wants to see...

View media item 1206482
View media item 1206483
View media item 1206484
View media item 1206485

How does this ONE detail make such a huge difference?

View media item 1206486
180475234_PaulGeorge_Hoskins0462_crop_exact.jpg

View media item 1206488

And why is that one detail "unprofessional"?

OP wasn't asking about wearing braids to work. He was asking about a line or part cut into his already low cut. The cut itself is already different than a white dude's cut in that white dudes are not expected to keep their hair as low or uncurly/natural as black men, but they also don't get their hair edged or lined up as precisely as black men do. That's something unique to black and to some degree, "Latino" culture. So why stop at just the edge up? What about that one step further makes it so bad? Can someone give me a clear answer as to why and not some nebulous rant about professionalism?

Ok...i'll be less formal with my reply. It just does my man, it just does. Kind of like my regular cut that goes from a half clip on the sides, blended up to finger length scissor cut on top. I have a fairly short haircut. But it looks "professional". Now, if I just added ONE line in the side of my head, you know, just a little detail...we all KNOW that wouldn't fly at an interview.

The half moon line that you just pictured is a small little detail. You're right. I agree. But it's ALL the difference in the world. It doesn't look natural, it doesn't look conservative. Their is a FREAKING LINE shaved right into the front of your head. That's all I'm saying. It's a small detail, but a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

While there's no denying that this is what corporate America wants to see...

View media item 1206482
View media item 1206483
View media item 1206484
View media item 1206485

How does this ONE detail make such a huge difference?

View media item 1206486
180475234_PaulGeorge_Hoskins0462_crop_exact.jpg

View media item 1206488

And why is that one detail "unprofessional"?

OP wasn't asking about wearing braids to work. He was asking about a line or part cut into his already low cut. The cut itself is already different than a white dude's cut in that white dudes are not expected to keep their hair as low or uncurly/natural as black men, but they also don't get their hair edged or lined up as precisely as black men do. That's something unique to black and to some degree, "Latino" culture. So why stop at just the edge up? What about that one step further makes it so bad? Can someone give me a clear answer as to why and not some nebulous rant about professionalism?
All this.

And you will get no clear answer outside of "it just is"

Edit: :lol: I hadn't even seen AK's reply. But see what I mean?

Last edited:
I'll say it again. IT'S A BIG LINE shaved right in the front of your dome. You'd seriously rock that to an interview at JP Morgan? 

Here's my perspective from a non black guy.

There's no question a black person unfortunately has to care more about appearance. This probably means no lines, etc. It's definitely unfair to have to deal with certain stereotypes. Me personally I wouldn't care, but I'm not the one hiring. However, I don't think a fade is something that would be frowned upon/noticed.

With that said, a line, lines etc for all races would be frowned upon. For example putting random lines in your head looking like the adidas symbol has become fashionable for all ethnicities these days. Just look at soccer players. My friend sometimes gets it as an added touch and he's not black. He got a haircut before a job interview and didn't even think about putting a line or two in his head. He even joked he should've done it.

So basically all races probably shouldn't risk it. They are looking for any little reason not to hire you.

Now once you get the job and show your productivity putting a small part in your head wouldn't be a big deal and would be chalked up as young people fashion.

Last edited:
Bruh, that cut is as old as fades, caesars and ivory leagues (aka the ivy lee) themselves. A part is a detail that has existed in haircuts (whether cut in or combed in) dating back to the 1800s and possibly before that.

View media item 1206505
View media item 1206506
View media item 1206507
And the low cut with a part or (ivy league for white men) is nothing new.

http://www.ftmguide.org/haircuts.html

I disagree that it makes "all the difference in the world". If someone doesn't like you, they don't like you. I doubt a clean part cut or combed into a caesar haircut is the deciding factor in a corporate environment on whether you get hired or keep your job. It may be an excuse, but how will it be reason enough to call someone unprofessional? And your answer was just what I didn't want, nebulous. You gave no solid reasoning as to why you think its unprofessional. By your logic anything that you don't like is unprofessional.

EDIT: How is 50's cut zeeked? Where?

Last edited:
I don't like? I like half moon caesars. Don't really understand why you think I don't like it. I'm thinking OBJECTIVELY. Something you are having a VERY hard time doing. You want an educated answer? Fine.

The shaved line in the head looks unnatural, because, well...it is. It's a big line shaved right in the front. Now if every black man was born with that, then obviously that would be different. But you aren't. I can't shave a line in my head either, but YOU STAY DODGING that point. 

EVERY single picture you posted was of a person parting their hair in a traditional fashion. Not a single one of them had a shaved freaking line in their head? Why is that difference so hard for you to grasp? 

One looks professional, one does not. It looks like you shaved a line in your head, because well....you did. It's the same reason why a pinky ring looks unprofessional. Can I tell you EXACTLY why? Not really...but it doesn't change the fact that we both know that doesn't look professional. Neither does watermelon gator shoes, nor does capri style suits. Certain things just look unprofessional without needing a dictionary based reason.

Why do hand tattoos look unprofessional? Why does a line in my eyebrows look unprofessional? Why can't I wear a gold grill? Why can't my suit be yellow, or orange? Do you really always need a cut and dry answer? No lines in your head man. No lines in mine either. No explanation needed for that.

EDIT: How is 50's cut zeeked? Where?
Is it just me or did they line up his forehead mad tilted lookin like gumby. Maybe I'm ignorant to that haircut or something, maybe that's how his natural hairline goes and thats what it looks like edged up, but damn that looks tilted to me.

Meh, I'm done with this one. I guess I'll just agree to disagree.

And I think 50's hairline might just naturally be tilted so that's how he got lined up.

It depends. I probably could get away with it at my company. One of the brothers I work with has a part in his head and nobody even notices.

I would wait until I was firmly entrenched in the company before doing it, tho. Probably at least a year in.

Barack Obama wouldn't be the president if he had a part in his head during his campaign.

​
Barack Obama wouldn't be the president if he had a part in his head during his campaign.
 ​
But I wish he got one after he was already elected along with the waves and crisp tape up. so we as black dudes wouldn't have to deal with dumb *** **** like this.​
 ​
Lowkey I feel like because he's not an "urban" dude we as black dudes don't feel the full benefit culturally of having a black president.​
 ​
 ​

Last edited:
LOL regardless of what Obama does with his hair it won't change anything in the corporate world.

LOL regardless of what Obama does with his hair it won't change anything in the corporate world.
How would some square tell me my haircut is "unprofessional" if the leader of the free world has the same cut?

​
How would some square tell me my haircut is "unprofessional" if the leader of the free world has the same cut?​
First off...it's fantasy. Obama ain't ever gonna show up to work with a half moon caesar.

And that "square" is gonna have the same perception of what is professional no matter what. Corporate culture doesn't just change overnight because our black president does something with his hair.

And again, it's never gonna happen so it doesn't make sense, and is not applicable.

Back
Top Bottom