NT DJs / Producers / Musicians

Some dope material in here, gonna have to link up 
nthat.gif

New Joint i just cooked up.

That synth is ill as ****. :smokin

not finished yet, its kinda ill though. got a playa type vibe to it :smokin

another throwaway beat because someone told me it sounded too much like drank in my cup. sick though

Last edited:
For all the producers here... How do yall mix a kick drum and 808 to make it not so muddy in the mix. My sub is hitting right around 52hz and my kick is hitting around the same area but I've tried to give the kick that punchy sound to bite through the mix but **** still isn't sounding how I want it. I've already put about 2 compressors on it and EQed it by taking out the highs and some of the lows and boosting around 79hz but it still sounds muddy on the low end.

Last edited:
^
Post the track. I'll be able to help you more if I can hear it.

But, Most of the time if the kick doesn't stand out it's because the frequencies somewhere in the beat are clashing. Especially the way you're describing it. It doesn't have to be the 808, it could be another drum or sample that has low frequencies that you can barely hear. For example, Lets say you have a clap that isn't great quality and it has some low end to it around 50-100 hz. That **** will muddy up your mix quick. That's why I personally EQ every single instrument and remove the frequencies that aren't necessary.

Last edited:
Not a DJ by any means, but I've recently become very curious about Abelton and I'd like to experiment more into mixing and live sets.

I work with an art collective in SF and we recently built the below art installation for this past years Coachella. The lights were all run on an APC40 board using a custom built software program. I ran the light show a couple nights and loved the board, but I'm not too sure where to start learning how to use the APC from a beginners music standpoint, books, websites, podcasts, tutorials, etc. all welcome.

View media item 1020723
View media item 1020722

For all the producers here... How do yall mix a kick drum and 808 to make it not so muddy in the mix. My sub is hitting right around 52hz and my kick is hitting around the same area but I've tried to give the kick that punchy sound to bite through the mix but **** still isn't sounding how I want it. I've already put about 2 compressors on it and EQed it by taking out the highs and some of the lows and boosting around 79hz but it still sounds muddy on the low end.
Learn how to Sidechain your 808 so it ducks when your kick hits! This will improve that Knock! Look it up on Youtube, there are plenty of tutorials that can assist.
^
Post the track. I'll be able to help you more if I can hear it.

But, Most of the time if the kick doesn't stand out it's because the frequencies somewhere in the beat are clashing. Especially the way you're describing it. It doesn't have to be the 808, it could be another drum or sample that has low frequencies that you can barely hear. For example, Lets say you have a clap that isn't great quality and it has some low end to it around 50-100 hz. That **** will muddy up your mix quick. That's why I personally EQ every single instrument and remove the frequencies that aren't necessary.
Listen to him too! EQ everything, and it will help eliminate unused frequencies in your mix.

Back
Top Bottom