NT, Does the 2 year CC Transfer program realllly work?

Hey NT. So turns out I got into the States that I wanted... BUT, my parents gave me a choice.
I either go to the State for 4 years and than get my masters elsewhere.
OR
Go to CC for 2 years and then Transfer to the UC of my choice.

What DO I do? What would you do? How hard and how reliable is the transfer program.

Experiences?

i would also like to know, cuz i'm trying to transfer from UCR to UCD or UCLA. wondering if it just as good as the CC program

What do you mean by State? It depends on where you live. I know the CC in my area (NOVA) is one of the best around. My friend just worked his%%@# off and nowis going to UVA in the fall. I mean it's all dedication my friend.

I hear that Santa Monica City College has a very good transfer rate.

And don't go to a State University thinking you will transfer to a UC school. It is much easier to transfer to a UC school from a community college.

Just work hard in the two years at a community college. You'll be saving a lot of money by taking all your general education courses there.

It will work if YOU actually attend and pass all the required classes. Go to your counselor's office and the CC should have some transfer agreements withselect schools from all over. They have transfer agreements that you sign where you take all the necessary classes to transfer by a specific date. It reallyhelps because they map out everything you need to take each semester...If you don't know what you would like to major in yet, then I would suggest goinginto the CC only if you know that you will be pushing yourself to get out and transfer within two years...If you do know what you want to major in, go aheadand take classes at the State schools if you are led. Don't let your parents dictate where your future education should be. They are not the ones going toschool. You are.

from what I saw with people at home, it's amazing who can get into a uc from a cc. people i thought were idiots who could regurgitate info on average atbest without any original thought got into ucla. If you stay on top of your stuff and are half way intelligent, you will get into one. Actually, aren't youguaranteed a spot at one uc if you met certain requirements? it could end up being merced if you just scrape by, but if you bust it, you can go to any. To theperson who mentioned going from one uc to another, that's actually harder than going from a cc to a uc

it takes more than 2 years, trust me unless you go full on max units every semester. All you need is a 3.0 GPA and your set.

What DO I do? What would you do? How hard and how reliable is the transfer program.
that depends. there should be a program where you have to have about a semester in, then you pick the school of your choice and you will betransferred once you finish the required number of units and classes; you also can't have a C or worse. or you could take your chances and just go througha couple years with the required number of units and try to transfer to any UC.

and what you do should be your choice. if you have a certain major and it fits in with the school, go for it. and you can't just transfer at any time onceyour units are fulfilled. you have to check the schools and see when they accept applications and students because some are different.

you can do either or...but its prolly going to take u more than ur expected time to graduate ne way.....not many ppl finish in 4yrs...jus like not many finishCC in 2yrs

"it takes more than 2 years, trust me unless you go full on max units every semester. All you need is a 3.0 GPA and your set."

How much more are we talking?

Originally Posted by The Harlem Shake

"it takes more than 2 years, trust me unless you go full on max units every semester. All you need is a 3.0 GPA and your set."

How much more are we talking?
Not too long....for both CCs & and 4yr schools you could graduate in the proper time if you do winter and summer sessions otherwise it takesmaybe an extra semester also most colleges will only take 60 CC credits depending on what they equate your credits to on their scale

haha 2 years? nah... i'd say.. 3 years and you work part time (weekends only)

it didnt work for me...

if your major doesnt require alot of lower division work, then yes it wont take more than 2 years. If your major is is some type of engineering then i suggestyou take up most of your lower division classes to be competitive when you apply as a transfer student. I know for certain majors like computer engineering youwould need a 3.5 gpa to sign the TAG. it also depends on what level you test on your assessments for math and english. If you test low it will take you moretime because you will have to take all the prereqs to get into all the transferable math and english classes. But signing a transfer agreement doesnt guranteeyou a spot even though you meet the GPA. I was denied last semester because I didnt have enough lower division classed done. Also depends alot on your major.

most of my friends that went to CC's transferred in 2 years and are now at state colleges..its definitely doable in 2 years even with a part time job onthe side...

me on the other hand...its taken me 3 years cuz im lazy and didnt feel like taking 15/16 units a semester- not that it was too much work, because its not- imjust in no rush...im transferring to a state college this spring, i just went through the application process and whatnot...

just make sure you take all the required courses at your CC and the transfer process is a breeze...

edit- btw..i live in san francisco if that makes any difference...

it will take longer than 2 years for sure. I will say maybe 3 since other people will have priority over you and you will never be able to get the classes youneed

Originally Posted by jordan723

it will take longer than 2 years for sure.

No, not for sure.

The average is longer than two years, but by no means does it mean you're doomed to spend more than 2 years at the Community College. You will almostalways get the classes that you want as long as you're paying attention to the registration dates because the system is designed for you to get out of theCCC ASAP with their priority registration dates, based on the units you've accumulated. I work for Diablo Valley College, and over the years I have seenmany students succeed and transfer to many prestigious Universities of California and many Ivy league schools.

California Community Colleges are very helpful when:

A) You don't have the money to spend on an expensive two years of General Education

B) You didn't do too hot in high school and want an extra two years to bust your butt and transfer to a better school than you could have, had you justwent directly to a 4 year.

Many colleges have transfer agreements with various UC's which basically means that you should have a certain GPA, complete 60 units, and are guaranteedadmission. DVC for example, transfers TONS of students to UC Berkeley... a very high-ranking University.

Personally, I went to DVC for 2 years, transferred to a state school and graduated in 4 years total. Don't be fooled by the naysayers who think that youcan't do it in 4 years. Sure, the average is 2.5 to 3 years for GE, but think to yourself: Are you an average person? Maybe you earned average grades inhigh school, but you have your entire College career ahead of you. Bust your butt in your local CCC and transfer to a much better school... saving you money,and increasing your chances for getting in a better school.

do these schools (4year) hook you up with scholarships and grants or do you still have to find them on your own?

It depends on how many units you take every semester and your major. Some majors require more classes than others to transfer. On top of that, making sure youtake the right classes will get you out of there sooner. But like the other guy said, it'll be tough to get the classes you really need because the peoplewho've been there longer can register for classes earlier. But it is possible. Some people transfer in a year and a half going full time of course. Whileothers are stuck there for 3+ years. It just depends.

Trust, you can transfer out in 2 years, you just gotta bust your a s s and be self-motivated. otherwise, you will be just like the other half of the populationat a CC.......doing nothing.

not for me
laugh.gif
. I have been super lazy and in my 3rd year
smh.gif
. I really need to get a lot done next semester. I'm tired of this !%!!$+# place.

be ready to work hard.

I spent one year at a community college.
took 20 units each semester, had classes during winter, and worked 30 hours a week.

transferred into a private university in california after a year, but into junior standing.
many of my friends have transferred into UCLA and CAL(haas)

it's definitely worth it.

Back
Top Bottom