NT Fathers Unite: Tips and Cheat Codes for 1st-Time Dads

I'd imagine "keep your kid's mother happy" should be mentioned, if it hasn't already.

i've got an 8-month old here...our first

only thing i'd say right off the bat - if you or your child cannot sleep through the night...throw on some white noise. seriously. worked (and still works) wonders for us.

This!

Cop one of these joints and your kid will sleep better. Pricey, but worth it. Ours has lasted 4+ years with daily usage.

6806730_f520.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KUHFGM/?tag=niketalk0e-20

Would just a small little desk fan work the same?

Of if you have a Spotify account, they have white noise playlists lol.

Congrats :pimp:

Some things I've learned in my 2.5 years of being a father;

-set good habits and stick to them...fruits instead of candy,

-LEAD BY EXAMPLE. I've noticed my son will do what I do, before he does what I tell him to do. Lol.. Example, if I want him to clean up or go to bed, he's more likely to do it if I start doing that myself vs me simply telling him. He's two, he plays by his own rules. Lol

-use every moment as a teaching moment. Taking out the trash can be used to teach new animals, trees, colors, etc...

Like others have said, don't let the, sleep In ur bed. Smh..wish I listened when people told me that. Now it's twice as hard trying to break this habit.

There is a perfect thread for this, NT Dads thread.

If you are buying $8 diapers for the newborn, then you are already way behind. You will go through that little pack within a couple hours EASY.

My suggestion is costco / sams club to buy you some bulk. But i can't recall if the stores carry Newborn yet ....

There is a perfect thread for this, NT Dads thread.

If you are buying $8 diapers for the newborn, then you are already way behind. You will go through that little pack within a couple hours EASY.

My suggestion is costco / sams club to buy you some bulk. But i can't recall if the stores carry Newborn yet ....

Buying newborn diapers is foolish imo, they'll be out of those before they even leave the hospital :lol: Sz 1 and Up.

Buying newborn diapers is foolish imo, they'll be out of those before they even leave the hospital
laugh.gif
Sz 1 and Up.
Sweet. We were given two boxes of new born diapers. I hope my baby will use all those up and we can buy the next size up lol.

Buying newborn diapers is foolish imo, they'll be out of those before they even leave the hospital :lol: Sz 1 and Up.
Sweet. We were given two boxes of new born diapers. I hope my baby will use all those up and we can buy the next size up lol.

If not, return em to WalMart or Target w/o the receipt and get the size you need. I've done that w/ diapers we received as a gift, my son grew so fast, we weren't prepared for it.

If not, return em to WalMart or Target w/o the receipt and get the size you need. I've done that w/ diapers we received as a gift, my son grew so fast, we weren't prepared for it.
Sweet. I didn't know you could do this. lol

i've got an 8-month old here...our first

only thing i'd say right off the bat - if you or your child cannot sleep through the night...throw on some white noise. seriously. worked (and still works) wonders for us.

This!

Cop one of these joints and your kid will sleep better. Pricey, but worth it. Ours has lasted 4+ years with daily usage.

6806730_f520.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KUHFGM/?tag=niketalk0e-20

Would just a small little desk fan work the same?

It's really not even close to the same level of white noise. This thing is like sleeping on an airplane...it's that loud if positioned just right in a room. And there's no breeze in the room like there is with a fan. With newborns you definitely don't want a breeze, especially in the winter.

Also, lugging a fan with you on trips isn't as convenient as throwing this in your bag. And yeah, there are apps and I've used several in a pinch. But they're nowhere near as loud and they don't produce the same white noise.

Just my 2 cents though.

Get the BabyConnect app. Helps you keep track of their feeding and diapers. Helps when doc is asking you questions.

Remember that every baby is different. What works for someone's baby might not work for yours.

Breastfeeding is great for the wallet and the baby but it's rough for the mom. She'll pretty much get no sleep, waking up every 2-3 hours to feed the baby.

We only buy clothes when there's a big sale. Gap and Polo has some great deals sometimes. Just remember, your child will look cute in anything so don't let wifey fall for the "it'll look soooo cute on baby". We had a friend who had a baby 6 months before us and we just swap clothes.

We use Honest Co. for pretty much everything. Diapers, shampoo, lotion, wipes.

Just make sure you need it before you buy it. My first baby was the easiest baby. Slept through the night and didn't need anything to help him sleep.

Last edited:
Honest Co. is that it's own brand or store specific?

Honest Co. is a brand started by Jeasica Alba. Check out their website. They offer bundles on diapers and wipes. They also sell cleaning products that are safer for children. I can't tell you how much more it is compared to Pampers but wifey says it's comparable.

If they have curbside in your area. Use it to buy diapers. Cause they always have $10 off $20.

Glad to see a thread like this.

FYI, good deal right now on diapers at Target. If you buy any 3 diaper boxes (24.99 or above) you get a $20 Gift card. Not bad considering they usually only do this on the boxes that are 34.99 and up.

Glad to see a thread like this.

FYI, good deal right now on diapers at Target. If you buy any 3 diaper boxes (24.99 or above) you get a $20 Gift card. Not bad considering they usually only do this on the boxes that are 34.99 and up.

They do both boxes, just the $35 boxes more frequently. That's like paying $55 for 3 boxes, plus the coupons, I might have to swing through. Huggies sometimes has $3 off a box, plus $2 off 2 boxes and target has their mobile baby coupons, plus the 5% off w/ the Red Card. I'm on it.lol

Stack all the diapers you can...all sizes

Take advantage of the free time you have when your child is napping

Get used to waking up at night to feed him/her

There's more but I can't think of them now. Honestly the first year or two was a breeze. That time goes by super fast

What about those projectors that project stars or the solar system on the wall? Anyone ***** with those? I have a surplus of clothes already, a mobile playpen type crib, a stationary 1, and a 3 in 1, a stroller system, blender and food storage to make my own baby food when we get ready to feed her solids, diaper genie, anti flat head pillow, anti roll pillow, some toys that aren't choke hazards, really just lacking diapers and the baby herself.

Babies R Us had a 50%off diaper deal this weekend, might still be on, that bought them down to about 7c per unit. Reviews on their brand were all over the place, mostly negative though. Still I might get in for a box just to see. At worst, make them "at home" diapers.

Also, those of you with newborns how/when do you get some? Do you do it with the baby in the room? Sleeping? Awake and looking at you?

Back
Top Bottom