NT!! ITS HAPPENING!!!!!!

I hate how the legends arent being looked at. 80s/90s rap all day

But my friends hate my music telling me to turn it off when I blast it. They rather blast Rick Ross or 2 chainz than hear some atcq or wu or mobb deep

Not only that but I listen to some old soul and funk ****. Rick James, Barry white, and prince

I feel your plight, I get complaints sometimes when I play my music.for people. If it ain't something they can "turn up" to or a DJ Mustard beat they don't wanna hear it. I feel so disconnected from my generation sometimes, its like they have no values and every things about getting attention with social media and such. But yea, I still bump illmatic in my rotation to this day and probably won't ever stop.

If you were born after '95 I have a hard time listening to your musical opinion. 

I remember in HS (Grad in '06) we used to download mad KRS-ONE and Slick Rick songs on Kazaa and Napster. Then once torrents came it was game over, I'm over here downloading whole discographies, and listening to them. I had a healthy respect for the past. Being a hip-hop head, being a sneaker head used to mean something, used to mean people would come to you and ask you "you heard the new LL" and I'd be like "Nah, I'm just getting through his battle with MC Shan...I think Shan won but..." and an actual conversation would start...and informed conversation/arguement. At the lunch tables banging on the table, spitting slight freestyles. Hip Hop used to mean something.

Long story short, I am a Jay fan and used to "argue bout whose the best, biggie, jayz or nas"  we used to argue wordplay, now these kids argue gun play.

I'll be watching this documentary when I get a chance, and I'll just keep you uninformed youngsters to argue soulja boy v D4L.

Young cats don't know

Last edited:
If you were born after '95 I have a hard time listening to your musical opinion. 

I remember in HS (Grad in '06) we used to download mad KRS-ONE and Slick Rick songs on Kazaa and Napster. Then once torrents came it was game over, I'm over here downloading whole discographies, and listening to them. I had a healthy respect for the past. Being a hip-hop head, being a sneaker head used to mean something, used to mean people would come to you and ask you "you heard the new LL" and I'd be like "Nah, I'm just getting through his battle with MC Shan...I think Shan won but..." and an actual conversation would start...and informed conversation/arguement. At the lunch tables banging on the table, spitting slight freestyles. Hip Hop used to mean something.

Long story short, I am a Jay fan and used to "argue bout whose the best, biggie, jayz or nas"  we used to argue wordplay, now these kids argue gun play.

I'll be watching this documentary when I get a chance, and I'll just keep you uninformed youngsters to argue soulja boy v D4L.

Young cats don't know
View media item 913298

Okay here's a serious question...... Who is the best mc? Biggie, jay-z or nas?

Imma go Jay because he has elements of both Nas and Biggie, he can give you a socially concious song about the hood (Hard Knock Life) or a straight gangsta song (Friend or Foe), he can also give you a club banger (Girls like)...and it's been steady throughout his career (Oceans, Tom Ford, Pray, Blue Magic, Otis, Made in America etc.)

That is my opinion.

I wonder how many siblings blue ivy would have if yall stopped swallowing jays specimen all the time...

Will view this documentary when it drops :pimp:

Memory Lane came on in Urban yesterday and i just bust out "ooo ooo ooooooooo" :lol:

but anyway, NT confuses me. on one hand y'all complain day in and day out about how my generation

(20 y/o) doesn't know anything about their history and we suck so much blah blah blah. yet when i

try to participate in discussions about times of old i get told "ain't you like 12?" and this is even when

discussing stuff like 50 Cents buzz. I'm not even saying things people don't agree with either. Older

people say they want younger people to know their history but disregard what we have to say about it.

Like me saying I love Outkast and don't really listen to Wu Tang. I get told "ain't you like 12." :lol: it's not

like i try to change history. i would never say Wu Tang was poppin like that or that people were calling

Pac and BIG the GOAT before they died. I know that wasn't the case. but i study music and i know a lot

about it so i do have my opinions that are just as valid as anyone elses.

/rant

Yo.

Both them dudes are really good at rap.

Just let it be at that.

Don't listen to who you don't listen to. Nobody cares to know, though.

Thank God I grew up in a time where old music was cool. When Nas and Jay were on those few mediocre pre-beef albums, I was getting SUPER into Eric B & Rakim, De La Soul, the whole Duck Down, Boogie Down Productions, etc.

I wonder what NT thinks about Jazz music, or old rock music, or old Funk music, or straight up old *** soul music, even "classical" music (classical was actually only one era in that type of music), etc.

Its weird that a generation with infinitely more access to more information than any previous generation also seems to know way less about anything that happened before their time than any other generation.
Best post in this thread.  When I read a thread like this with so much ignorance and hate, I start to realize I am getting older.  I was in high school when Illmatic dropped and I can still remember where I was when I first listened to it.  For a kid from the west coast, this album painted a lyrical picture of New York and the East Coast that was so lyrically groundbreaking that I was hooked on hip hop for a solid decade in which I literally listened to nothing else.  The production was so raw and the combination of that with Nas's lyrical cadence was groundbreaking for me.  His narratives about childhood battles with poverty and violence made me want to become more socially conscious and led me to study political science in college with an emphasis on correcting the dichotomy between the rich and the poor.

Today I turn on the radio and ultimately shake my head.  I hear hip hop songs about social media and the flaunting of wealth and I wonder what happened to the socially conscious artists who fought for change and railed against inequality.  Illmatic has none of the recipe for commercial success enjoyed by hip hop artists of this current era.  There are no repetitive hooks and pop-crossover singing in here, just raw visual lyrics that paint a portrait of a man struggling with his difficult childhood amidst poverty and despair while becoming a man and looking towards his place in the future.  It's amazing to think that at age 20, Nas released what I consider to be the greatest album in hip hop history.  

I wish hip hop had continued down this path of social consciousness and awareness.  Who knows how much farther we would be as a society.  Sadly the emptiness of this current generation of hip hop artists has led me to abandon hip hop for classic rock, jazz, and older r&b.   
Good rap is still out there man. You just have to look for it a bit. I listen mostly to rap so if I didn't cut radio out of my life and start listening to purely underground I'd be sticking with the genres you just listed plus a couple others. Check out Skyzoo. I'd recommend listening to "For what it's worth" first. Amazing song. Also check out Blu&Exile Below the Heavens.

This is why I hate when people say "hip-hop is dead" blah blah, no, there are people still making classic music today but it isn't poppin' like these damn trap songs...worst one I hear, "the south is dead", 2 minutes later "who's Big KRIT?"

This is why I hate when people say "hip-hop is dead" blah blah, no, there are people still making classic music today but it isn't poppin' like these damn trap songs...worst one I hear, "the south is dead", 2 minutes later "who's Big KRIT?"

:lol: right. I just ignore it though. Nobody owes an explanation for the music they listen to. Just listen to what you like and let people listen to what they like. You'll find it much less stressful than going back and forth with every person that doesn't have the same musical preferences as yours....

I mean are you guys trying to say you dont get music down there? You guys dont buy CD's or DL music?
Nah I'm talking about back then, back in the late 90s early 2000s when we didn't have a lot of technology resources like a PC in every household like we do now and the only means of music were the radio or TV

Yea back the everything was more regional, I'm willing to bet most people down south didn't know about jayz until hard knock life and nas units if I ruled the world or hate me know

I mean are you guys trying to say you dont get music down there? You guys dont buy CD's or DL music?
Nah I'm talking about back then, back in the late 90s early 2000s when we didn't have a lot of technology resources like a PC in every household like we do now and the only means of music were the radio or TV

I'm pretty sure it was that way for everybody :lol:

I'm pretty sure it was that way for everybody :lol:

:lol: yea I know but the south got everything last compared to other parts of the nation. Like having computers in public school systems etc. I remember my Dad telling me he and my grandma back then use to take trips to Cali (We're in Louisiana) to see what was new and they would take those inventions/ideas and bring em down here to profit from it.

Nas is a legend?

Illmatic is a legendary album, but that does not make Nas a legend lulz. What is this legend you speak of up to now? Inform me of these current legendary actions.
gQndVtj.png

Nas is a legend?

Illmatic is a legendary album, but that does not make Nas a legend lulz. What is this legend you speak of up to now? Inform me of these current legendary actions.
 Living: Jay, Nas, Kast, Scarface, Too Short, Bun B, 8ball, MJG, Bone Thugs, Slick Rick, Kool Moe Dee, LL Cool J, Ice Cube, Big Daddy Kane, Uncle Luke, AZ, DMX, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Lauryn Hill, Missy Elliot, Queen Latifah, MC Lyte, Eminem Beastie Boys, Q-Tip, Grand Nubian...

Dead: not even going to start

thats with only thirty seconds of "this cat said Nas isn't a legend" thought.

I swear, Hip Hop History needs to be taught in schools, that way these kids won't be making these outlandish statements.

Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?

Even if you don't like Illmatic for some reason, you should at least be aware of it's impact on hip hop music and the culture.

Last edited:
I always cringe when older NTers try to trash younger NTers music selection and get upset when they don't jump to their opinions.

You ****** sound like old grandpas. :lol:

FOH with that nonsense.

Just cuz YOU like nas doesn't mean someone else has to.

Just cuz YIU recognize nas doesn't mean you have to get upset when someone else doesn't.

Y'all sound like y'all are imposing religion on someone that worships something else

:x :x

Oh.. And flyny... Continue to deliver the lulz. Your passion behind the most miniscule NY thing makes me proud. Lmao.

Fly NY = ninja hood

Back
Top Bottom