NT: Official Personal Finances Thread

Anyone having issues with Lending Club loans defaulting now? I went several months without a loan defaulting at first. Now, I've had 3 with 3 more about to default and another in grace period over the past year. That 1.6% net return isn't so appealing now. At this point, I'm not sure if I should just stick it back in the bank or look to Prosper.

It seems like more loans are defaulting all the time. They pay about half and then just stop. It's like once people think they've paid back the face value of the loan they're done. Pretty strange...
Not surprised honestly

Not surprised honestly
They're seasoning so this is expected. My return is down to 6.61% (was 7.3% when i started a couple of years back). 98% A rated 3 year loans. Even with all the nonsense going on behind the scenes, as long as you choose your own loans, i think LC is a great way to diversify your portfolio. 

Anyone having issues with Lending Club loans defaulting now? I went several months without a loan defaulting at first. Now, I've had 3 with 3 more about to default and another in grace period over the past year. That 1.6% net return isn't so appealing now. At this point, I'm not sure if I should just stick it back in the bank or look to Prosper.

It seems like more loans are defaulting all the time. They pay about half and then just stop. It's like once people think they've paid back the face value of the loan they're done. Pretty strange...
​I've just checked and my net return went down 1%. I've had it a couple years, I just put in 100$/mo and its avg net returns are: >10%+. Usually returns normalize out if you have enough notes. I think Vanguard IRA would be a good choice instead of having it sit.

Anyone using the new CreditKarma tax return tool? Its free. I'll start filling it in when I get all my W-2s and compare to my hand done one.

Ive been using turbo tax so ill probably stick with that. Its foolish but im not sure how i feel about using cedit karma to do my taxes. Even though they have all my other information

​I've just checked and my net return went down 1%. I've had it a couple years, I just put in 100$/mo and its avg net returns are: >10%+. Usually returns normalize out if you have enough notes. I think Vanguard IRA would be a good choice instead of having it sit.
It's more of a suppliment to my monthly "blow money" that I don't use each month which isn't all that much each month, so anything over .75% is ok, but I was expecting at least 8% (portfolio expectation was ~10%) so I amortize a new computer every few years with "free upgrades". But at this rate, I'm not sure about the margin vs. risk associated with it. I might hang on if nobody else has had their portfolio go negative. Maybe I'll pick more conservative notes, although a decent amount of the defaults have been "B" notes.

If you've got a Capital One bank account (or credit card I'm assuming), sign up for Credit Wise to monitor your credit. Just got a notice that someone tried to open 2 cards in my name last week.

Or if you're willing to, sign up for Lastpass to build secure passwords on all of the sites you visit. You'll only need to remember one master password and you can also set it up to notify you of any inquires too. Both are great tools to keep you secure and in the know.

man I dun goofed- coached vball as a side gig for 50 bucks a session- then they hit me up saying this will be added to my taxes.

i already submitted federal return and got around 550 back but now i'm gonna owe around 300 . but luckily i waited on my state so it's not gonna hurt.

will the new presidential crap help with student loans? i was gonna be aggressive as i just refinanced from 7.625 percent to a 5.2 percent on 22K.

Anyone have "deferred compensation" offer where they work? Just curious on knowing more what it is.

They're offering it at my work place and my supervisor really recommends it.

A little more background if anybody cares..
Working for the City and they don't have a 401k but they have a "City Retirement Plan" that I'm currently contributing 10% of my pay pre-tax with 100% company match.

I'm trying to do what the person last page was doing where I'm saving $1000 every month. Currently have about 12k saved up. I guess this be considered my "emergency fund" and "vacation funds" lol

Last edited:
I've been lurking on the personal finance sub reddit this past month and this reminded of my finances. Just opened a Roth IRA

btw guys, Chase is now offering a free credit score check that won't affect your score.

Last edited:
man I dun goofed- coached vball as a side gig for 50 bucks a session- then they hit me up saying this will be added to my taxes.

i already submitted federal return and got around 550 back but now i'm gonna owe around 300 . but luckily i waited on my state so it's not gonna hurt.

will the new presidential crap help with student loans? i was gonna be aggressive as i just refinanced from 7.625 percent to a 5.2 percent on 22K.

You're thinking it's a L but really you're just looking at a W in the wrong light.

I'm assuming you weren't an employee for the volleyball gig and that they've already sent you a 1099-MISC?

I would file an amended return. You can turn that -$300 or so and turn it into an additional $1000 - 2000 they owe you easily if you've *cough* cough* accurately and reliably tracked your expenses.

Last edited:
Anyone in here have a life insurance policy on themselves? Who is your insurer and why did you choose them specifically? What are some important things to consider/ask yourself and/or a potential insurer when shopping for policies?

Thinking about starting up a policy for when I have dependents (kids) and would like to be well versed on the matter prior to that.

I appreciate all the help.

Ok I want to open a traditional IRA before I file my taxes, anyone have recommendation on what funds to put in for the IRA once I open?

Discover has the free credit score for everybody.

For $1 you can get FICO score from all 3 bureaus with credit check total (remember to cancel your trial)

Hypothetically speaking, what would you do with 100k in your savings. I dont have it, but I want to learn about making money with my money. I have no idea about any loans, investments, real estate, nothing.

Last edited:
Hypothetically speaking, what would you do with 100k in your savings. Not saying I do have it. I have no idea about any loans, investments, real estate, nothing.
If I had 100K in savings with all debt's paid off I would invest in a multifamily property .

Hypothetically speaking, what would you do with 100k in your savings. I dont have it, but I want to learn about making money with my money. I have no idea about any loans, investments, real estate, nothing.
Real estate that generates monthly income

Anyone in here have a life insurance policy on themselves? Who is your insurer and why did you choose them specifically? What are some important things to consider/ask yourself and/
or a potential insurer when shopping for policies?

Check hr with your job. Most companies offer a free plan for their employees. At my current job all employees receive $25k life policy for free and you can always increase the amount thru payroll deductions. Make sure you pick term insurance. Never whole life. Hope some of this helps.

Thinking about starting up a policy for when I have dependents (kids) and would like to be well versed on the matter prior to that.

I appreciate all the help.

OK I was thinking bout getting this decent sized house in the hook for $40k. It sold for 50 though. Some Mexicans stay in it now like **** load, if u know what I mean. But I was thinking if I spent 40-50k on a house cash. How long would it take to recoup it? 600-800 a month in rental fees.

Ok I want to open a traditional IRA before I file my taxes, anyone have recommendation on what funds to put in for the IRA once I open?

I would go with a company you trust/support, or index funds for the low expenses. $10,000 minimum for the lowest expense index funds, but you can get into other for $2,500.

OK I was thinking bout getting this decent sized house in the hook for $40k. It sold for 50 though. Some Mexicans stay in it now like **** load, if u know what I mean. But I was thinking if I spent 40-50k on a house cash. How long would it take to recoup it? 600-800 a month in rental fees.

That's all homework you gotta do yourself mayne. There's a lot more cost involved in owning property than just the cost of the home and plot of land. You have recurring costs like property taxes and repairs. Still, there is money to be made just keep in mind you gotta have a real emergency fund.

Back
Top Bottom