NT OFFICIAL SUSHI APPRECIATION THREAD

Koi in NYC is :pimp: no pics but I went last night, had Crispy Rice topped w/ Spicy Tuna and Creamy Shrimp Tempura for apps. Main course was a Spicy tuna roll topped with spicy albacore, jalapeño, crispy onions and spinach chips.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is done anywhere else, but for those in NY you gotta try MamaSushi....is basically Dominican infused rolls....wild good

MamaSushi is OK. Points for creativity, but not the best sushi/sashimi.

Koi is good money.

Finally got my sushi fix 
nthat.gif

Crazy. We're talking about Poke not being in NY.

And I happen to be in LA. And a chick I follow in IG posts her favorite Poke spot in LA.

And I'm in the mood for a light meal as opposed to Roscoe's or In N Out.

So I go get my first Poke meal. And this **** is fantastic. From Poke Bar on Sunset.
Poke spots are popping everywhere now in LA

I know its illegal here in the US but surely there's a market here for never frozen sushi?

Side note: Its interesting to me that salmon wasn't used in sushi till the 80s. Makes sense, might look into the history more.

I tried uni again a few months back and liked it. I remember trying it once before and not liking it and avoided it for so long. The flavor didn't seem strong so I dunno why I didn't like it initially.

I tried uni again a few months back and liked it. I remember trying it once before and not liking it and avoided it for so long. The flavor didn't seem strong so I dunno why I didn't like it initially.

I know a lot of people are turned off with the texture.

You guys need to try uni udon though.

You guys like hamachi kama, fish head/collar, or no? :pimp:

Hamachi-Kama-III.jpg

Roasted tuna and salmon collars are great. I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods where Andrew Zimmern was in Japan and a sushi place was roasting an entire Tuna head, it looked damn good.

could be seasonal, they said they got it shipped in from Japan but who knows. doesn't have the slight fishiness that a lot of mackerel tend to have and it had a bit more chew, pretty good I thought.

So I have a question. Looking to replicate these dishes at home, however, the recipes call for "sushi-grade" salmon and tuna.

Is there even such a type of fish? Or is it simply how you cut the salmon and tuna, and obviously not cooked?

i usually take chicks i meet to this revolving sushi spot. definitely wins me some points all the time :lol:

Probably just means good quality. I buy tuna from Costco and beast on spicy tuna that I make.

Last edited:
Probably just means good quality. I buy tuna from Costco and beast on spicy tuna that I make.

Yeah, that's literally all it is :lol: had bought farm fresh yesterday and all I had to do was cut it against the edge into very thin pieces, using a non-serrated knife.

Delicious.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom