NT, real talk... Indian mascots?? Yes or no?? vol. Seminoles, ********, Indians, etc...

Andrew Jackson spearheaded the Indian Removal Act AND completely disregarded the Supreme Court's decision to side with Native Americans over whether or not they got to stay on their land. All of this led to the Trail of Tears, where I think it was close to 1/4 NAs died when trekking across the US past the Mississippi River. Yet, he's honored on our $20 bill. To me, this is a tad bit more egregious.

The name issue is what it is, but there are other deep-rooted problems here in this country that don't get nearly as much attention from the mainstream media as the debate over what the football team is called.

Andrew Jackson spearheaded the Indian Removal Act AND completely disregarded the Supreme Court's decision to side with Native Americans over whether or not they got to stay on their land. All of this led to the Trail of Tears, where I think it was close to 1/4 NAs died when trekking across the US past the Mississippi River. Yet, he's honored on our $20 bill. To me, this is a tad bit more egregious.

The name issue is what it is, but there are other deep-rooted problems here in this country that don't get nearly as much attention from the mainstream media as the debate over what the football team is called.

Thus the reason why a majority of Native's don't care about sports teams with offensive names - they will acknowledge that it is wrong and that it should be changed but real, pressing issues like healthcare, jobs, teenage suicide, diabetes, alcoholism, gangs, and drugs are affecting their communities right now and the federal government is doing nothing to help them.

let's not act like the team names were the only thing racist about the team....

a lot of sport teams started out appealing to white audiences...they used cliche stereotypes to draw crowds in...

Oorang Dog Kennels owner Walter Lingo founds the Oorang Indians, an NFL team made up entirely of Native Americans and coached by Jim Thorpe. The team’s popular halftime shows feature tomahawk-throwing demonstrations and performances from Lingo’s prized Airedale terriers.

The Zulu Cannibal Giants, an all-black baseball team that played in war paint and grass skirts, barnstorms around the country. Six years later, the Ethiopian Clowns continue the tradition of mixing baseball with comedy to appeal to white audiences.

Stewart Udall, John F. Kennedy’s interior secretary, threatens to take away the Washington football team’s federally owned home stadium due to owner George Preston Marshall’s refusal to sign a black player. Despite support from members of the American Nazi Party, Marshall begrudgingly signs a handful of black players for the 1962 season, making Washington the last team in the NFL to integrate

this is a good one....
The University of Northern Colorado’s satirically named Fighting Whites intramural basketball team uses $100,000 from merchandise sales to create a scholarship fund for minority students.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics...ory-offensive-sports-mascots-********-snyder/

Most people don't know or care about the plight of the Native American community and how the US government continues to screw them over. Yes changing the name of the team isn't the biggest victory they could notch, but something as popular as the sport that change would be symbolic enough to draw attention to the other issues. I think where people always fail on civil issues is they think you should only have one approach or let the lesser impact things slide. This is a huge country with many people, everything can be addressed, and no matter what certain things will resonate with the general population more than others. Fixing your own community is just fixing your own community, take something away from their community now they have to pay attention.

Last edited:
Today I learned that calling a people from a Scandinavian-American region a "Viking" is a racial slur :rolleyes

I wonder how Washington Heights S___cs would fly with dude that keeps telling us how Washington Red___s isn't offensive to a race he doesn't even belong to? Let's create a team and put this as the logo to stereotype all Latinos

Hypocritical racist/rapist

Last edited:
Thus the reason why a majority of Native's don't care about sports teams with offensive names - they will acknowledge that it is wrong and that it should be changed but real, pressing issues like healthcare, jobs, teenage suicide, diabetes, alcoholism, gangs, and drugs are affecting their communities right now and the federal government is doing nothing to help them.

nah fam da indians just dont care as much as da libbie snowflakes

nah fam da indians just dont care as much as da libbie snowflakes

I wouldn't disagree with that. Mostly more educated or Native's living closer to larger cities care. Talk to Natives living on rez's in the Dakotas and they could care less.

I wouldn't disagree with that. Mostly more educated or Native's living closer to larger cities care. Talk to Natives living on rez's in the Dakotas and they could care less.

some would have you believe they dont care because there's nothing wrong not that they have more pressing life concerns :lol:

some would have you believe they dont care because there's nothing wrong not that they have more pressing life concerns :lol:

This is pretty much what ACTUAL Native Americans say, unlike the resident bigot and rapist on here.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...ington-post-poll-on-********-name-is-immoral/

According to the Associated Press, California State San Bernardino sociology professor James Fenelon called the poll "immoral," saying it wasn't representative of Native American communities. And National Congress of American Indians executive director Jackie Pata said, "This issue is not about polling. This issue is about human rights."

Pata and Oneida Nation Representative Ray Halbritter voiced similar concerns last week, too.

"The results of this poll confirm a reality that is encouraging but hardly surprising: Native Americans are resilient and have not allowed the NFL's decades-long denigration of us to define our own self-image," Pata and Halbritter said at the time, via Sports Bog. "However, that proud resilience does not give the NFL a license to continue marketing, promoting, and profiting off of a dictionary-defined racial slur -- one that tells people outside of our community to view us as mascots."

For the illiterate in here, that means that they've put up with so much terrible @#$@ for centuries that it's not high on the priority list for them, but it's STILL not right.

Last edited:
Today I learned that calling a people from a Scandinavian-American region a "Viking" is a racial slur
eyes.gif

I wonder how Washington Heights S___cs would fly with dude that keeps telling us how Washington Red___s isn't offensive to a race he doesn't even belong to? Let's create a team and put this as the logo to stereotype all Latinos

Hypocritical racist/rapist

Back
Top Bottom