nt: school me on external hard drives (trying to back up my music)

im trying to look into buying an external hard drive so i can back up my music. i only have about 40 gb of music, so i wouldnt need anything too expensive. anyone know good ones to look into? also, how do they work? do you simply just plug them into your computer and drag your music folders into it? ive never owned one before so im not to sure lol. thanks.

also, this was the one i was looking to get - http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...gent-GoFlex-Ultra-Portable-External/#firstTab

but if anyone knows anything better :nerd:

Last edited:
The tsunami in the far east really put a damper on externals...

They were dropping in price... and dropping fast...

im trying to look into buying an external hard drive so i can back up my music. i only have about 40 gb of music, so i wouldnt need anything too expensive. anyone know good ones to look into? also, how do they work? do you simply just plug them into your computer and drag your music folders into it? ive never owned one before so im not to sure lol. thanks.

also, this was the one i was looking to get - http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...gent-GoFlex-Ultra-Portable-External/#firstTab

buy from NewEgg though.

more space, $10 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148653&name=External-Hard-Drives

good looks on the link. i was also looking into toshiba are they reliable?

just weighing my options on some good priced external hard drives.

buy from NewEgg though.

more space, $10 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148653&name=External-Hard-Drives

$10 less
http://www.staples.com/Seagate-GoFlex-500GB-Portable-USB-30-External-Hard-Drive-Black/product_912286

OP please remember to back up often!!

go with that Staples link :smokin I'm bout to browse their selection now just because of that. need a new 1TB drive.

what I really want to know is if WD is better than SG. I've had my WD for like 4 years and it's been running fine.

Last edited:
From reading some forum posts it seems like it.
Less people seem to have a problem with western compared to Seagate.
My year & 10 month old 1.5TB elements drive hasn't let me down yet. Doubt it'll get 4 years tho.

I have a 500GB Seagate external HD. I back up my files every month or so. Do yall simply copy & paste when backing up your music?

I have a 500GB Seagate external HD. I back up my files every month or so. Do yall simply copy & paste when backing up your music?

my iTunes is set up to sort all my music into artists folders and whatnot. I back those up x shows x movies via drag and drop, then I have some stuff in my dropbox on some just in case type deal.. I'm a hoarder.

I know don't have much things to store. But I really think a solid state drive would be the best route. It's like a giant sd card. No moving parts. Less chance of failure.

Costs a little more though. I've had tons of failed hard drives. I'm only going ssd from now on. To many lost memories.

I've been using the same WD passport since '08 and its still running fine.

I have my iTunes folder set up in my external HD so it's not really a back up. I just use it to free up space on my laptop.

Glad I came in here. Been looking for something to back up a lot of music for a long time as well. $60-$70 sounds good to me.

I've been using the same WD passport since '08 and its still running fine.
I have my iTunes folder set up in my external HD so it's not really a back up. I just use it to free up space on my laptop.
yea my wd been in the game going on 5 yrs... i had a seagatealso and had to ship and get it replaced 2 times since fall of 09... iv had my ssd toshiba for iuno a year now and so far so good... as far as me i use separate drives for different genres etc... and have on for software/games/documents etc...

Any reviews on Touro drives? Anybody ever use one? 

Also, I've been looking around on Amazon and I'm considering

WD: Amazon product ASIN B006Y5UV4A  

vs Seagate: Amazon product ASIN B008R7FC74
Any opinions on which is a better option? Are both compatible with Macs?

Also, how useful is it to have a 1TB drive vs say a 500GB one? I mostly have music + hw that I want to back up. Not much of anything else.

bought a 1.5TB for $80 a month ago :smokin
from newegg.com
definitely recommend newegg

Last edited:
Any reviews on Touro drives? Anybody ever use one? 

Also, I've been looking around on Amazon and I'm considering

WD: Amazon product ASIN B006Y5UV4A
vs Seagate: Amazon product ASIN B008R7FC74
Any opinions on which is a better option? Are both compatible with Macs?

Also, how useful is it to have a 1TB drive vs say a 500GB one? I mostly have music + hw that I want to back up. Not much of anything else.
WD is the better brand. Both are compartible with mac if you reformat if it's necessary. Reformatting is pretty quick.

Get a HD that's twice as big as your labtop HD. If you think that you'll need more space then get a bigger drive. The usefulness of the 1tb would just be it having  more HD space so you can backup/save all your stuff on it.

Look into getting a squaretrade warranty if you think that you'll need a warranty.

Last edited:
WD might be the better brand but that particular drive seems to have more problems that the Seagate.

have to grab a Hard drive soon because the house PC has been acting up a lot lately... plus these files from my camera are huge

Will be pickin up a 1tb HD this weekend. Been stuck between a SG and WD.
So is the consensus that WD>>>SG?????

Back
Top Bottom