NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

^^Yes sir

and

I've been slacking on reviewing all of the new beers I've had over the holidays, so this one's gonna be a long one:

First we have a classic with a lot of hype surrounding it.  I got a growler of this back in mid-November and did a review on it, but I was curious to see how the bottles stack up.  Pours pitch black with virtually carbonation and minimal head.  Lots of alcohol lacing on this one, but pretty much what you'd expect from a 15% ABV beer.  Smell is vanilla, chocolate, bourbon, roasted malts, toasted coconut.  All good things.  Taste is very chocolatey this year.  Strong notes of vanilla, molasses, some coffee, and the toasted coconut come through.  The bourbon is definitely there, but it's nowhere near the bourbon bomb last year's batch was.  I could sit and sip this all day long.  Mouthfeel is definitely more syrupy than the coffee stout and the barleywine, but it's appropriate for the style. Definitely holding onto my last 4-pack of this and drinking one a year to see how they develop.  Fantastic. 10/10

Next up, we have WallyHopp's choice. A good friend of mine had this over the summer and recommended it to me, but I was never able to find it anywhere.  About two weeks ago I finally found it on a whim and copped it on the spot.  This one pours a nice deep amber color, very reminiscent of Double Bastard. The head is soapy and dissipates slowly.  Strong piney hop presence on the nose of this beer with caramel and toffee in the background.  The taste of this is....not my favorite, to say the least.  Honestly tastes like boozy, watered down tree sap.  For a beer that's supposed to be aged in bourbon barrels, I can literally say I don't even get a hint of the bourbon barrel characteristics when tasting this beer.  Mouthfeel is sticky and cloying.  I'm not a big fan of American barleywines to begin with, but this one was a particularly big let-down for me.  7.2/10

Next up we have something special.  I had never heard of this beer before da God at the beer distributor pulled it out from under the counter.  This beer is an old ale that's been aging for the past 5 years in the owner's cellar.  At $8 for a bottle of a beer that I'm never gonna come across again, I figured why not give it a shot?  This beer pours a deep amber/brown color with virtually no head at all on it.  Smell is vanilla, dark fruits, caramel, toffee, and molasses.  The taste matches the nose pretty perfectly. A nice, sweet, malty bomb. For a beer that's almost 12%, there was absolutely no booziness to this (probably due to the fact that it's been aging for so long).  It says on the back of the bottle that these things can age for about 25 years, so I'm probably gonna pick up another bottle or two of this to hold onto for awhile.  At the end of the day, this beer was totally worth the $8.  Hard to find something I dislike about this.  9.9/10

Another whale for the beasts:  I opened up this bottle of Batch 001 (2010) Parabola on Christmas Eve.  Pours pitch black with an effervescent head.  This one has more carbonation than Bourbon County does, but it's still pretty flat.  Nose on this is toasted coconut, vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, roasted malts, and tobacco.  The flavor is very similar, with a lot more of that toasted coconut flavor than I expected. The taste on this is pretty different than Bourbon County.  Bourbon County is a lot more chocolatey, where this one has that coconut and tobacco flavor that sets it apart.  Virtually no booziness left on this after aging for the past 3 years.  Very nice sipping beer. Comparing this to Bourbon County, I'd say Bourbon County is the winner.  However, this is still a stellar beer that lives up to the hype. 9.8/10

A final whale for everybody:  I should start off this review by stating that I'm not a big fan of sours.  If I drink one, it's never a full bottle.  I bought this bottle back over the summer and was waiting for the right moment to open it.  Figuring that I had company over for the holidays, I broke it out and split it amongst two other people.  Pours a deep golden color with a fizzy head that dissipates quickly.  Aroma on this is like a tart wine with a strong presence of cherries.  Taste is straight up sour cherry.  For a person that doesn't like sours, I was enjoying this one a lot more than I had expected.  Booziness on this one is present, but negligible.  This is definitely the best sour I've ever had.  Not my favorite beer in the world, but I wouldn't mind splitting a bottle of this again.  9.2/10

Bought a mix & match six pack tonight. I haven't bought "good" beer in a while because I have been saving money for when I move in a few months.

Last edited:
My Total Wine hasn't had Lagunitas Sucks all damn season... It's my favorite beer of the Holidays :wow:
I've seen it at stores that tend to get their other 4-5 regular beers. I won't see it at a Walmart where the selection is very limited. But other beer stores who have that full Lagunitas distribution should have it.. I'm guessing its a distance thing.. If you are the other coast away, it should still show up. If you are closer to them, I may worry a touch. The case I got is all but a distant memory. What a scary brew. I tell ya.

Comparison Ford, are the people you share beer with pretty into trying new things, what exactly they are drinking etc.... I happened to share a sip of BCBCS with a few people and they weren't having any of that.. I had to reassure them that this beer is rated among the best in the world (by online voters). Heavy beers, flavorful beers scare people. I dont think of many at being at an extreme levels. But I guess some people just need a slower intro... I have heard that BCBCS doesn't age that well since it has the coffee notes that are prominent. I would hate for those flavors to get lost. I guess out of the few I have left, I'll keep one to age 1 yr, and one more than age 2 yrs. But drink the rest ASAP.. I don't know why I'm paranoid. Your thoughts....

Christmas presents..... I am loving the chance to try a New Belgium sampler 12 pack and a Sam Adams variety winter pack (i've had two or three but not all of them). Most of the time, beer ratings get in the way for me of trying new or even old things... I also got a 6 pack of Hoegaarden.. I love that stuff.. Ever since I couldn't find it in 12 pack form at my local grocery store, I haven't really given it another chance

Last edited:
Bought a 64 oz growler of breakfast stout, a 64 oz of Lone Pint (local brewery in Magnolia TX) Yellow Rose along with 2 bottles of Prairie Noir. Gonna be a good night.

The people that I share beer with are into beers, but don't exactly seek out the white whales.  They more or less "like what they like."  Among the people I was sharing beer with, one loved Bourbon County, the other said it "wasn't their favorite beer" (bear in mind: this person also had the audacity to say that Smuttynose IPA was better than Heady Topper).  The one that loved Bourbon County also loved Backwoods Bastard, while the other said it "tastes like liquor." Both thought Supplication reminded them of a wine.

As far as BCBCS goes, I think you have the right idea by drinking the majority of them fresh.  The coffee flavor suffers from the aging process the same way the maple flavor in beers like Canadian Breakfast Stout and Curmudgeon's Better Half suffers.  I honestly think BCBCS is perfect fresh, but part of me regrets not holding onto a bottle or two to see how they age.

^I love hearing opinions from time to time outside the internet realm. But then again it can be scary. The guy who I met at a brewery from CO seemed to love NB Fat Tire (it's okay) and preferred it 100 times over some of the stuff this local brewery had to offer. I stand by this place (BA likes it too with 90-91 range on most items). How are you gonna pick up and mention a metallic aftertaste in a imperial stout when you love fat tire. Blind love and blind hate is everywhere.. It looks like you found the right guy for recommendations from your beer place. One of my guy just seems to want to sell me whatever is "new" in stock. You have to find that right clerk I suppose.

A journey into the unknown...
First beer of a mixed 12 pack.
Sam Adams Juniper IPA
I didnt check the review rating beforehand ( I found out after.. 80 BA btw)
Slight hints of citrus in the nose. No true smell of that wonderful hopiness you see in a Lagunitas Sucks
Mouthfeel was very light with a slight taste of hop bitterness. I did sense some other types of bitterness as well. It comes more in the after taste than in the initial taste. Not my favorite type of bitterness. I need the aroma too, which isnt there. I'm used to IPAs in the 6.2 to 8% range. This one drank a bit easier than those others. The juniper sweetness sneaks in slight... It drinks like an IPA light or beginners IPA.. No true sense of any malt sweetness or backbone. I think the BA score of 80 is a touch low. It's no worse than some of those winter beers I had in my larger sampling, which rated around 82-83. I'd place it there.

Last edited:
I've seen it at stores that tend to get their other 4-5 regular beers. I won't see it at a Walmart where the selection is very limited. But other beer stores who have that full Lagunitas distribution should have it.. I'm guessing its a distance thing.. If you are the other coast away, it should still show up. If you are closer to them, I may worry a touch. The case I got is all but a distant memory. What a scary brew. I tell ya.

Yeah my Total Wine just hasn't had it. Got it in yesterday finally. I'm in Orange County, CA...distance isn't an issue lol.

^I love hearing opinions from time to time outside the internet realm. But then again it can be scary. The guy who I met at a brewery from CO seemed to love NB Fat Tire (it's okay) and preferred it 100 times over some of the stuff this local brewery had to offer. I stand by this place (BA likes it too with 90-91 range on most items). How are you gonna pick up and mention a metallic aftertaste in a imperial stout when you love fat tire. Blind love and blind hate is everywhere.. It looks like you found the right guy for recommendations from your beer place. One of my guy just seems to want to sell me whatever is "new" in stock. You have to find that right clerk I suppose.

True story. I've befriended some floor people at several Bevmos and those guys are way more knowledgeable than some of the liquor store owners who are there more to turn a profit and provide nothing else. Not to say all liquor stores owners this way.

Last edited:
This is my Saturday night.
Federal Brewing Redcoat ESB
Deschutes The Abyss
Monkish Brewing Feminist
Smog City Amarilla Gorilla IPA
Smog City The Nothing
Needless to say, I'm hammered.

-J-

I'm trying to find some abyss. I'm drinking some epic brewings big bad baptist.

Coffee,chocolate nib stout aged in whisky barrels.

Last edited:
I'm going crazy trying to find some bcbs in Orange County. Anyone have a lead to where I can find some? All the places I've come close to have sold out a few days ago. I know a lot of olaces are getting more shipments in

Throwing some coffee beans in a maduro brown and infusing in an airtight container trying to replicate cC's Cuban style espresso brown ale. I'll keep y'all posted.

The adventure continues with a few more beer pack tries.

New tries:

-Odell St. Lupulin. Expired August 2013 bottle. Had great potential with smell. Taste was a bit muted. Would revisit

-Odell 90 Shilling.. Expired August 2013 bottle. Taste was muted all around. Tasted a whole lot of malt. All around good craftsmenship (with age not into consideration). I would maybe buy again

-Sam Adams Old Fizziwig Ale. A winter warmer I actually like. Malt character solid, some hops. Tough to explain this one. Not bad, not exceptionally good. I would buy again

- New Belgium Ranger IPA. I love the tropical fruit type of IPAs. This was close to being one of them.. Well crafted and better than many IPAs I have had. Malt forward with a clean hop finish. Some pine and citrus smells and flavors. I would maybe revisit again (with IPAs so competitive, i would probably just buy something I know I love).

*didn't know BA scores of any of the above. I feel they all fall within that range. Nothing too amazing. Nothing too crappy either. The St. Lupulin I would rate a bit lower because of that lost hop presence from that expire bottle.

Some Retries:

-Had some more Sam Adams White Christmas. Something about this witbier (maybe its drinkability) makes it a sweeter style of beer that I can just drink all day and not have to think about it.. BA scores give it hell. But I've just found a nice niche with some of SA's beers.. This is one of them.

-A family friend got me some Hoegaarden, which he knew I liked. I love revisiting beers I just never get a chance to rebuy. This is just one of those beers where I love the taste. I consider it a bit unique as a witbier from others I've tried.; I think I played some drinking games with a couple. Drinkability is top notch.

-Since my last SA juniper IPA a few days ago, I am trying to get rid of the others. I have had two more since. The flavors still seem lacking. It' lacks some body, sweetness and character. Still bitter without much hop aroma

-Received a Shocktop Pumpkin Ale in one of the mixed packs (very old beer. I couldnt recall a date). Rated horribly online. But that artificial flavor I seem to NOT hate.
---------------

Tonight I may go with a few more NB and SA mixed beers. Maybe a NB Gidy Up, a SA Cherry chocolate Bock, or a Fat Tire revisit. That's a beer I haven't had in years. Or maybe I go with a lineup of some trusted greats leading me into the new year.... Weihenstehpaner Vitus and some BCBCS.

As with most resolutions for the new year, I am hoping to consume less. A possible 80-90% decrease. We shall see of course.

What I had last night:
LL

Trusty La Cumbre Elevated IPA. 7.2% ABV. Tropical fruit flavors. Piney and hop smells galore. I love its drinkability.. I had to pick it up after striking out at a local grocery store who completely sold out of Lagunitas Sucks and Deschutes Abyss. I didn't think it was necessarily worth $18/bomber but had I had an itch for some, I thought for sure this place wouldn't sell out for months... I was wrong.

Last edited:
As with most resolutions for the new year, I am hoping to consume less. A possible 80-90% decrease. We shall see of course.

You and I both. I really, really need to cut back. I'm working on finishing what I have "cellared" in my closet right now.

Had The Abyss last Saturday night while watching the UFC.
That is a hell of a beer. Delicious. A bit "hot" on the booziness (although nothing like that BCS which was super harsh), but I have 2 other bottles that I am going to age so it should mellow out.

-J-

So as of the new year, I've decided to limit my beer drinking to one night a week (barring special occasions). As a result, I'll be reviewing less frequently. Having said that, here's a couple beers that I had on NYE:

This one came in on the 31st. Copped a sixer without thinking twice. Pours a deep, transparent golden color with a head that dissipates at a moderately slow pace. Aroma on this one is grass, floral notes, and a hint of citrus and not too much pine. Taste is similar. Very well balanced and drinkable. As people compare Heady to Pliny, I'd say this beer is pretty comparable to Dirt Wolf (a beer, when looking back upon it, I should have rated higher). Regardless, this is a great, accessible Imperial IPA. 9.6/10

Considering there's a lot of great German beers out there that I've never given a chance, I figured I'd pick up a bottle of this and give it its day in court.  Pours a deep, hazy brown with a soapy head.  Aroma on this one is banana, dark fruit, caramel, malts, cloves, and some other spices.  Taste is similar, with bigger banana notes than I expected.  For someone that doesn't really enjoy beers with dark fruit flavors, I could get down with this one.  For a beer that's 12%, this beer wasn't boozy in the least.  I've been sleeping on the Germans. I'd certainly buy this one again. 9.2/10

Figured this beer was appropriate to split with a friend on the afternoon of NYE.  An 11.5% bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout brewed with champagne yeast.  This beer pours a little thinner than I expected, with a fizzy head that dissipates quickly.  Aroma is roasted malt, champagne yeast, and a bit of the bourbon on the back. Not particularly thrilled by this.  Taste is similarly disappointing.  It's like every flavor you'd want in a bourbon-barrel aged imperial stout is subdued and the only prominent flavor that comes through is the out-of-place champagne yeast.  I'm not a big fan of Brooklyn beers to begin with, and this didn't seem to be an exception.  Much better options out there for the money.  Won't be buying again.  7.8/10

Lastly, we have a beer that's been recommended to me by a bunch of people.  One of my friends was shocked and appalled to learn that I had never tried this one while we were out to dinner on NYE.  Considering it was the only thing on the menu that seemed somewhat interesting I decided to give it a shot.  Pours a hazy blonde color with an effervescent head that sticks around.  Aroma on this one is light citrus, some spices, cloves, and a funky yeast smell.  Taste on this one was also a bummer.  Too much funky yeast, and everything else was watered down or just tasted "off" to me.  Couldn't finish this one.  Saisons can go die in a fire.  I would not miss them.  5.0/10

Last edited:
So I experimented with the Randal jr the other day and tried to create a bootleg Cigar City Cuban Style Espresso Brown Ale with their Maduro Brown Ale. Basically just loaded some dark roast coffee beans in the randall with bits of dark chocolate and let it sit for thirty minutes.

My initial reactions pulling it out of the fridge were that the beer changed in color to a more hazy color. I assume this was the coffee beans. I was also surprised that the pressure seal actually allowed the beer to maintain most of its carbonation.

On to the taste.. Now I will preface by saying that I already enjoy the Maduro on it's own. But this was great. Easily added to the top of the arsenal. I was first exposed to the cc Cuban espresso about a month ago on tap and it easily became my favorite brown ale. The limited availability forced me to attempt to recreate. And I would call this a success. The utter mess of the beer was amped up a bit by the deep rich coffee flavor. While it did lose SOME carbonation, this was a welcome compromise for the increase in flavor.

Next up: Ranger IPA with citra hops and mango

Last edited:
NYE was a bit more mellow than I expected.

Revisited NB Fat Tire.. Still incredibly average.. uuuhhhhhh
Tried NB Gidy Up for the first time. Lemon flavors mixed with espresso. YIKES.
I think both of those spoiled my mood when I finally drank a Weihenstephaner Vitus and one BCBCS. Something about both seemed off. I guess just one of those nights.

Resolutions:
-I am adding bombers to my do not buy list. And even those 16.9 oz Euro bottles. A solid $6.99-$8.99 six pack of a Deschutes, Boulder, New Belgium, Marble, Odell, Lagunitas etc... should suffice. I want to go back to those days of buying normal craft beer lol. Big bomber hunting/trying will cease this 2014 year (Looking for expired dates or bottle dates won't end though. I'll stay petty with that ideology for yrs).
-Another resolution. I have a bad habit of going to breweries with an intent to buy ONLY take home growlers, only to drink one or two pints, and double my tab. If I do buy growlers ( I want to cut back on those A LOT), I'll buy just one or two and spread them out within a two week span.
-If I intend to spend locally at a brewery, I want to have second thoughts and go a different route. This may suck for those places that don't bottle yet. But if I have an itch for a brewery, i will buy their bottled beer and save almost 50% of what I would spent. Baby steps here I hope.

My reviews will sadly decrease by a lot but I'll be here to enjoy the ride others are taking trying new things.

That journey into the unknown kicked my butt. I had to save myself a touch and decided on a quick trip to Total Wine (instead of a brewery stop with growlers and pints).
358wcvb.jpg

-I'd love to cut back on the La Cumbre IPA, but that is asking a lot . if I drink nothing else but one beer all year, it's that stuff.
-I heard good things about Deschutes Red Chair NWPA. Since it's reallllly fresh, it was a must try
-Sucks was gone at two places I had looked. Not here. Cases upon cases.

I like the structure of buying 2 that I have had before and LIKE a lot to buying just 1 of something I have heard good things about

These should hopefully be my mainstays for the next 4 weekends

Good luck everyone

Last edited:
wallyhopp wallyhopp Good luck brother, stay strong

@StillIn729 How's the new df pils?

Also, my main for the evening:

This was my first encounter with the Java Stout and it did not disappoint. Being a big dark coffee guy I always have a weakness for these coffee inspired stouts and ales and this hangs with the best of them.

After an aggressive pour into an English pint (left my snifter and tulip at a friends) a very strong bodies layer of foam about an inch and a half thick appeared, slowly dissipating to a constant quarter inch. Right up front you get the aromas of the java--at this point I'm thirsty. The initial wave is more coffe with hints of chocolate. After taste leaves a bitter acidic taste for a split second before leaving you with the full bodies residue of a good stout. Overall, being a coffee lover I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and will mix it into the current rotation. 9.2/10

Back
Top Bottom