NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Small bottle share with a few friends tonight.

^^ and ^ Yeah I'm drinking a KBS right now. Tasty, but nothing to write home about. Not as hot as the BCBS so I like that. I'm not a big bourbon guy. 

Last edited:
You think Founders KBS will last on the shelves until late April?

That's when the wifey is heading East and I'm hoping to get some.

I'm from Grand Rapids where Founders is located, it's scarce around here. I happened to be at a bar last week that still had some. It tasted like every other bourdon barrel brewed beer to me. It def wasn't bad but I don't see the hype around.

I want to get my hands on Evil Twin's Imperial Doughnut Break if anyone has any leads to that. I see on the website it was a limited release tho.

I'm from Grand Rapids where Founders is located, it's scarce around here. I happened to be at a bar last week that still had some. It tasted like every other bourdon barrel brewed beer to me. It def wasn't bad but I don't see the hype around.

I want to get my hands on Evil Twin's Imperial Doughnut Break if anyone has any leads to that. I see on the website it was a limited release tho.

Kind of beer-related. I went to Grand Rapids for work last year. Was there for 4 days. Awesome city.
Went to Brewery Vivant and Founder's.

And I'll keep an eye out for Doughnut Break.

-J-

Kind of beer-related. I went to Grand Rapids for work last year. Was there for 4 days. Awesome city.
Went to Brewery Vivant and Founder's.

And I'll keep an eye out for Doughnut Break.

-J-

Pretty good city... Starting to rebound a little and establish itself as a medical city... Lots of breweries... Some bar-stilleries are beginning to show up as well...

Okay enough dilly-dallying on my part...it's review time:

This is one I've been meaning to try for awhile.  I had Lunch early last year and loved it, but haven't bothered with anything from Maine Brewing Co. since.  Found a bottle of this bottled on 03/04 and decided it was time to change that.  This one is bottle-conditioned so I poured it gently enough to where it only generated a minimal head.  Poured a transparent golden color (it's actually lighter than the picture would leave you to believe).  Aroma on this one is light and crisp, with subtle citrus notes.  Taste is very similar.  Get a lot of lemon, orange, and pineapple from this.  Not incredibly malty on the back end.  Just a really nice, super-drinkable pale ale. At 5.5%,  I would love to make this a session beer.  The only thing holding me back is the price.  Definitely worth trying if you can find a fresh bottle, just can't see myself shelling out $7 for a 16.9 oz bottle of a 5.5% pale ale that, while great, doesn't exactly blow me away.  9.3/10

Another Maine Brewing Co. offering.  Seeing that this one gets a respectable score on BeerAdvocate and that the bottle in question was a week old at the time of purchase, I couldn't pass this one up.  Another bottle-conditioned beer.  Pours a light, hazy orange color with a soapy head that dissipates at a moderate pace.  Aroma on this one is something else.  Huge citrus bomb on this one.  Lots of orange zest with a hint of a grassy floral note in the background.  Taste is equally as delightful.  This beer is truly a single-IPA version of Heady Topper (on its best day).  From the appearance, to the aroma, to the taste this beer IS Heady Topper Jr.  Like Peeper, this one is extremely light, crisp and drinkable.  No booziness for 7%.  This one had me feeling some sort of way.  Will be seeing more of this in the future.  Now if only I could get my hands on MO and Dinner...10/10

This next one was recommended to me by da god at the beer distributor.  Excluding Sucks, I tend to disregard a lot of Lagunitas beers.  After telling da god of my acquisition of a few bottles of Pliny, he recommended this beer and said that he thought it was similar enough to where trading for Pliny wouldn't be worth it.  Trusting his judgment and seeing that a new case came in, I opened up the box and took a bottle.  Appearance on this one is your textbook west coast IPA.  A transparent color somewhere between golden and amber with a somewhat soapy head that stays for about 2-3 minutes.  Aroma on this one is, again, textbook west coast IPA.  Some citrus, pine, dank onion/garlic quality to it.  Rather enjoyable.  As far as taste goes...da god was right.  This one is like a Pliny and Enjoy By 4.20.14 had a baby and it was a lot more mellow because it learned from its parents' mistakes. Not saying that Pliny or Enjoy By are flawed but....okay bad analogy.  Regardless...this is a great beer and I definitely see da god's point.  Shouldn't have slept on this one. 9.5/10

Figured I'd save the most hyped beer for last.  Got this one relatively early compared to most Long Islanders.  I had this on tap back in June and wrote about how I thought this was good, but that it didn't blow me away.  This pours like motor oil.  Thick, pitch black, with a minimal, cola-esque head that dissipates quickly.  Aroma on this one wasn't doing it for me.  You don't get the massive vanilla notes that you get from the bourbon barrels in Backwoods Bastard.  Some coffee is in there, some chocolate is in there, a roasted quality is in there...but the bourbon kind of blows it in this one.  It smells as if someone dropped a shot of JD in a Breakfast Stout...and this is coming from someone that thinks BCBCS is one of the best smelling beers ever.  Taste on this one also didn't really do it for me.  Too much of that upsetting bourbon flavor, and an almost cola-esque quality to the taste.  Wasn't feeling it.  Actually ended up giving half of mine away. I'd take BCBCS, BCBS, Parabola, Founders Imperial Stout, and Founders Breakfast Stout over this any day of the week.  Not the worst beer I've ever had by any stretch of the imagination, but don't believe the hype. 8.5/10

Last edited:
Stopped in at Crooked Stave for the first time in a few weeks earlier tonight.

The missus and I had the Surusion (a blend of their Surette and a golden sour), Spring St. Bretta (with minneola tangelos this season) and the Happy Leaf St. Bretta (collab with Happy Leaf Kombucha), which is St. Bretta blended with beet/apple/carrot/cinnamon kombucha.

All of them were incredible...Crooked Stave are the kings of wilds, saisons and sours. Period.

Find their bottled offerings and be amazed.

Really like the labels on those  Maine Brewing Co. beers simple but very clean

Hop Stoopid is my s***! People always want those hard to get ipa's when there are awesome always on the shelf beers like, Hop Stoopid. 

Speaking of ipa's saw this today

Had this on draft bout a month ago, there was no way i could finish a whole glass of it. ive had pepper infused 

beers before but this was way too hot lol. if the habanero taste is less intense bottled than on draft, im in

some beers from the vault

2014 Firestone Sucaba

2013 Firestone Velvet Merkin

2013 Stone Crime

2013 Russian River Supplication 

pick ups

2014 Firestone Parabola

Allagash  Midnight Brett Ale

This past week was too expensive. Not even trying to see that cc bill.
5 2014 Parabola. A 2013 Parabola.
Stone Imperial Russian Stout.
The Bruery Tumescence.
El Segundo Brewing Co Vanilla Stout.
Aztec Noche de Los Muertos Stout.
Rogue pretzel, raspberry, chocolate.

I have a problem. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom