NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Lol you alone bro? I do that **** when Im at that level. Mainly because I stray away from the bros. 

How many did you take?

Any of yall try the DFH Aprihop, I think thats the name.
Yeah, I'm at the point in my life where I weeded out all these fake friends and I have about 5 real friends that I knew since I was 6; Everyone else I just cut off or keep as acquaintances so I don't go out too much alone because I can't drink/smoke around strangers without feeling some type of way and getting in trouble.

...I drank all 6. 
mean.gif

roll.gif

Yeah, I'm at the point in my life where I weeded out all these fake friends and I have about 5 real friends that I knew since I was 6; Everyone else I just cut off or keep as acquaintances so I don't go out too much alone because I can't drink/smoke around strangers without feeling some type of way and getting in trouble.

...I drank all 6. 
mean.gif

roll.gif

Bro don't tell me about feeling some type of way when I get hammered. Everyone including the friends can get that hulk treatment. 

All six? Damn just read a bunch of reviews on it and its highly regarded as a great beer with the main complaint being the AVB. 1-2 and I'm sure I'll be ready to write a love song that would hit number 1 in the BillBoards

This ain't the drown away your sorrows thread, offwhite & eyesee :lol:

This should put a smile on everybody's face:

PicsArt1400171530609zpsda1b52a81400370303.jpg

:wow:

Wonder if it's gonna be $40 for a 12-pack :x

Last edited:
I'm a happy buzzed dude so no worries there.

Are those 12 oz bottled 12 packs of pliny I see?

The Gauntlet SHOWDOWN is beginning any minute now. I will have a play by play hopefully. An hour or two in, we'll see how coherrent it all becomes.

LA CUMBRE ELEVATED IPA 4/27
LA CUMBRE FATHER NELSON DIPA 4/17
LA CUMBRE PROJECT DANK 5/03
BALLAST POINT SCULPIN 4/03
RR PLINY THE ELDER 4/16
THE ALCHEMIST HEADY TOPPER 4/02
Some questionable last second entries may include
Mikeller Citra
and DFH Burton Baton

I plan to have some sample glasses out and someone other than those drinking serving into those smaller glasses. HT may not be "the same" as out of a glass. But thats the only fair way to do it.

We'll do a very quick 2-3 oz. sampling of each blindly trying to either guess what is what, or what is our favorite. I got 3 over here doing this so it should be fun. After a quick sample, the rest of the bottle shall be shared probably from lighest abv to heaviest as we drink what we know we're drinking.

Update in a little bit

Last edited:
YOOOOOO what's the deal with the distribution on those Pliny 12 packs???? I live about an hour from the brewery so I think my chances might be good but I will go nuts when those drop.

Green Flash medley tonight.

Palate Wrecker is pretty high on my personal IPA Power Rankings, was pumped to see it back on the shelves here in CT.

Results are in. And I'm actually coherent.. Mission failed?

It ended up just being two of us.. A truly STOUT task at hand for a IPA lover and a fan of almost anything (it ended up being 75% me sampling which I originally envisioned over a 3-4 hour span).... The IPAs were "aging" and this proved the best time, if not for another week from now on a holiday weekend.

Above is an original photo of what we would be trying out

The two of us had a third party pouring smaller blind samples into glasses

- This ended up being the order that we sampled...
1- Sculpin
2- Elevated
3- Project Dank
4- HT
5- Father Nelson
6- Pliny

Tasting blindly we had no original concept of what they looked like. But they ended up looking like this... same order as above

All this build up and the results were not that shocking... Smell wise, only two stood out to both of us. #3 Project Dank, and #5 Father Nelson. They had that hint of strong onion like nelson sauvin hop bite.

Taste wise, #1, #2, and #6 all tasted soo similar. I could guess that #3 and #5 were La Cumbre dank or nelson, but guessed #6 as elevated IPA. I feel ashamed. I drink this stuff 2-3 times a week. I've heard the pliny/elevated comparison before. This sort of confirms that first hand.. HT seemed to stay within this same non "onion like" IPA group for the longest time.

Sculpin, elevated, and pliny created a genre in and of itself.. That left dank and father nelson among the likes of heady topper. HT stood out as the only one to kind of have that smooth almost "flat" like beer mouth feel. The aroma didnt really stand out against nelson or dank, but it seemed to be more in lines with the other 3. It may take a keen nose and an investigative spirit that may not always work out.. This was truly once in a lifetime getting all these beers together at once for tasting. Nelson may be back during winter time, but when will I get a relatively fresh set of east coast and west coast beers to compare?

Overall, locals may carry some deep seeded biases that we don't really know about until its too late. Sculpin, Pliny, and Elevated had 95% the same overall characteristics that I could see myself switching any of them out for another.. Heady stood out with its creamy almost flat out mouthfeel. It was so different that it became a distinguishable characteristic. At the same time, the smell and overall taste may not be worth the overall hassle or trouble/price to obtain. So many locals come very very close to reach that level or evenness, others seem to want to seek out that UNKNOWN factor that is a VT breweries DIPA... I can safely say that I am beyond that hype.

Finding a winner is impossible... But considering my proximity to La Cumbre in NM. I see no reason to see out the other stuff. NM residents need to realize fast just how good they have it.

YOOOOOO what's the deal with the distribution on those Pliny 12 packs???? I live about an hour from the brewery so I think my chances might be good but I will go nuts when those drop.

Apparently, the max you can purchase at RR is 12 bottles so they'll put them in those boxes. It doesn't all have to be PtE. You can mix and match with Blind Pig and their other offerings.

Results are in. And I'm actually coherent.. Mission failed?

It ended up just being two of us.. A truly STOUT task at hand for a IPA lover and a fan of almost anything (it ended up being 75% me sampling which I originally envisioned over a 3-4 hour span).... The IPAs were "aging" and this proved the best time, if not for another week from now on a holiday weekend.

Above is an original photo of what we would be trying out

The two of us had a third party pouring smaller blind samples into glasses

- This ended up being the order that we sampled...
1- Sculpin
2- Elevated
3- Project Dank
4- HT
5- Father Nelson
6- Pliny

Tasting blindly we had no original concept of what they looked like. But they ended up looking like this... same order as above

All this build up and the results were not that shocking... Smell wise, only two stood out to both of us. #3 Project Dank, and #5 Father Nelson. They had that hint of strong onion like nelson sauvin hop bite.

Taste wise, #1, #2, and #6 all tasted soo similar. I could guess that #3 and #5 were La Cumbre dank or nelson, but guessed #6 as elevated IPA. I feel ashamed. I drink this stuff 2-3 times a week. I've heard the pliny/elevated comparison before. This sort of confirms that first hand.. HT seemed to stay within this same non "onion like" IPA group for the longest time.

Sculpin, elevated, and pliny created a genre in and of itself.. That left dank and father nelson among the likes of heady topper. HT stood out as the only one to kind of have that smooth almost "flat" like beer mouth feel. The aroma didnt really stand out against nelson or dank, but it seemed to be more in lines with the other 3. It may take a keen nose and an investigative spirit that may not always work out.. This was truly once in a lifetime getting all these beers together at once for tasting. Nelson may be back during winter time, but when will I get a relatively fresh set of east coast and west coast beers to compare?

Overall, locals may carry some deep seeded biases that we don't really know about until its too late. Sculpin, Pliny, and Elevated had 95% the same overall characteristics that I could see myself switching any of them out for another.. Heady stood out with its creamy almost flat out mouthfeel. It was so different that it became a distinguishable characteristic. At the same time, the smell and overall taste may not be worth the overall hassle or trouble/price to obtain. So many locals come very very close to reach that level or evenness, others seem to want to seek out that UNKNOWN factor that is a VT breweries DIPA... I can safely say that I am beyond that hype.

Finding a winner is impossible... But considering my proximity to La Cumbre in NM. I see no reason to see out the other stuff. NM residents need to realize fast just how good they have it.

Nice comparison Wally. I do agree that Elevated tastes similar to PtE. HT's creaminess is the reason I really like it but I can get that with Jai Alai, which is much easier to obtain.

Participated in a 52 team kickball tourny today. For it lasting almost the entire day, I went with some good ole Bug Light :lol:

Last edited:
Pretty serious haul today. Growler contains Full Stack IPA by Singlecut Brewery out of Astoria, Queens. Not shown is a 4-pack of Founders Imperial Stout.  Pardon the poor picture:

Nice pickups comparison ford. I see you on BA once in awhile. I try spend time on both places. Here I feel more free to ramble on about anything though.

I picked up some somewhat fresh Dales Pale Ale yesterday. I want to revisit this stuff from last year when I really enjoyed its experience. I had some elevated IPA after doing some yard work. That stuff is definitely NOT sessionable lol. I was done for the night after just a few,

Tonight,
I think I'll go with a quick sampling of IPA/DIPAs I received in a trade last week. Hebrew DIPA, DFH Burton Baton, and Mikeller Citra. I know the BA scores on two of the three. So I'm optimistic all around.
--------
It's funny what a blind tasting does to your sense. The second I saw what the beers I was drinking were on Saturday, I caught hints of stuff I either have been told is in the beer, or what I seem to experience each time I drink it. I started picking up the Elevated IPA dryness and mango essence. But I could'nt when I tasted it blindly. The creaminess of heady is great when tasted alone I suppose. But when other beers are breathing down its neck, the dominating theme of that beer is overshadowed by many that smelled better. Maybe I'm doing these tastings wrong.

Who was it on here that had a bunch of info about brewing your own beer and could provide advice for others?

Thanks.

Copped a 6 of little sumpin, not too shabby. Not a huge IPA guy, but this is my fave so far.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Little Sumpin' Sumpin' isn't really considered an IPA.  It's a beer that transcends categories, but it's more-or-less a hoppy wheat beer. Regardless, it's a really good beer and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Copped a 6 of little sumpin, not too shabby. Not a huge IPA guy, but this is my fave so far.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Little Sumpin' Sumpin' isn't really considered an IPA.  It's a beer that transcends categories, but it's more-or-less a hoppy wheat beer. Regardless, it's a really good beer and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Whatever it is dig it.

Back
Top Bottom