NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Sucking down some Backwoods Bastard tonight.. Some WOW worthy stuff.

Hints of bourbon and vanilla initially. Heat is moderate. Finish has some woody character and some burnt malt notes. Mouthfeel is heavy initially but finishes very smooth.

Color initially looks like a dark stout color. But upon some light, it gets the a sense of red.. I honestly can't tell what type of ale this is. I would want to say its closer to a stout. But this does lack more of a deep chocolate type of flavor. The bourbon reminds me of a stout, so maybe thats where my mind is.

Sup guys, mentioned I was going on a local brewery tour for my bro's bday last week...below are some pictures I snapped:

Franconia Amber

The homie hooking it up with Franconia Kolsch

Storage tanks pt. 1

pt. 2

pt. 3

I think saisons are my new thing. I was at la cumbre today and they have two saisons out. Both in the mid 7% range. Both quite tart. But both with a bit of sweetness that reminds me of a Belgian tripel. Hops seems to take the backstage to what the yeast is doing here with the fruity tart flavors. One is a apricot saison. The other just a normal saison. Very impressive offering. Both are available via bomber or growler fill. But you are paying an extra penny or two for this delicacy. I'm not too sure if it's worth it entirely as their standard offerings are sublime.

One guy there felt one of them tasted a bit like a gose. But unless you ate a capful of salt beforehand or a bag of pretzels, the gose comparison is slightly there with that tartness. But it ends there. I wish a true gose was made locally. A $6-7 pour may be enough for me to show my support. Growler fills of $25-30 seem expensive but in the scheme of things, you go out ahead. You just better like 64 oz. of the beer you pick

Last edited:

Its my friday tonight, so why not?!
had this the other night for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. What did you think?

I enjoyed it all the way to the last drop. Like Wally said, Victory can do no wrong in my book.

I've been working my way through all the stouts I have left in my fridge. Last night was this:

Southern Tier Creme Brulee

Brewed with vanilla beans, which came through a lot. Definitely lived up to the Creme Brulee moniker. Though it was solid, it was not my favorite (a little too sweet for me, even though I expected it), and ended up giving the rest to the wifey, who absolutely loved it.

Will be killing what I have left in the fridge this week. Gonna kill the last BCBCS I have as well as a Speedway Stout. :smokin

Do you guys battle with the extra calories these craft beers involve? I love love love drinking them, but they definitely have an impact on my waistline. I used to be drinking them every day of the week, now I have to cut down to just weekends. Anyone else mindful of this? Or am I crazy?

Do you guys battle with the extra calories these craft beers involve? I love love love drinking them, but they definitely have an impact on my waistline. I used to be drinking them every day of the week, now I have to cut down to just weekends. Anyone else mindful of this? Or am I crazy?

I gave up the fight a few years ago. I'm trying not to get any fatter but not really doing much to get back to the weight I was before I started drinking beer.

A few months back, I asked if the regulars in this thread are fat. A lot of people are surprisingly fit. A few of us post regularly on the fitness thread :lol:

I battled it a lot more when I didn't really care what I ate.  Now I'm very mindful of my diet and try to ride about 25-30 miles a day on my bike.  Plain greek yogurt with a little honey, salads, grilled chicken, and oatmeal with almond butter and bananas for days. 
laugh.gif

I drink at least one beer a day and I maintain a steady 165 lbs (I'm 6'1").  I'll most likely find myself drinking less once the Fall semester starts back up.

I try to limit my beer consumption to a few times a week although sometimes that doesn't happen :lol:. With this half marathon coming up in Oct, I'll only be drinking on weekends. I workout at least 4 times a week (mix of weight lifting and circuit training) so that definitely helps with the extra calories from beers.

I enjoyed it all the way to the last drop. Like Wally said, Victory can do no wrong in my book.

I've been working my way through all the stouts I have left in my fridge. Last night was this:

Southern Tier Creme Brulee

Brewed with vanilla beans, which came through a lot. Definitely lived up to the Creme Brulee moniker. Though it was solid, it was not my favorite (a little too sweet for me, even though I expected it), and ended up giving the rest to the wifey, who absolutely loved it.

Will be killing what I have left in the fridge this week. Gonna kill the last BCBCS I have as well as a Speedway Stout.
smokin.gif
That Creme Brulee is good on tap. That was the first time I ever had it and it's a great "desert" beer. Then I got a couple bottle from Binny's and it wasn't as good but it's definitely worth a taste if you haven't had it before. 
I do, all the time, but I'm to the point I just don't care.
laugh.gif
I'm fairly active as far as walking/joggin' but MOSTLY doing yard work and such during the summer. I usually jog more often from fall thru winter when it's cold. The heat straight kills me no matter what I do so I try and keep "in shape" more so during winter than summer. 

Last edited:
tonight:
Dark Seas (Russian Imperial Stout)

from Mission Brewery out of San Diego

love it! RIS is my favorite style for sure, and this one's definitely up there. thick and just a little sweet, but oh so dark and roasty.

So I spotted this semi mature hop plant at a plant nursery back in june. It didn't have much of a trellis system. So it was struggling big time. I found a very large price of old bamboo, dug it into the ground a couple feet, and now have a somewhat functional hop vine holder.

It's still in the red pot we got it in.. Doing quite well. It probably started at about 4 feet among the tallest of vines..

At its highest, it's a good 12 feet tall. At the very top you can see baby hops growing
They start much smaller looking more like a dangly old skinny white flower. You dont envision a hop growing there lol.

It shouldn't provide more than an ounce of hops for beer, which is nothing. But I can likely go with a wet hop/ fresh hop brew in the coming weeks.
--------------
Pickups for the weekend

With SF brewing not making or shipping anymore freestyle pilsner, and weather still being in the 90s, why not go with some more summer seasonal to go with their oktoberfest lol.... Typical Elevated pickup... I finally spotted some "Vampire Slayer" Imperial Stout, now called Undead Party Crasher. Dating back to almost last year, they had VS around, but then sold out.. This is the first sighting of Undead PC in my city so far.. Super excited to try. I'm not sure I will have it solo, or among the bigger tasting I have planned... I also picked up some 2012 Marble Reserve Ale, and 2012 Marble BBA Imperial Stout.. My Stout/Strong beer tasting is becoming a beast of a lineup though. I do have a week off of work in September, so maybe it all goes down then?

Last edited:
Southern Tier Pumking, Shipyard Pumpkinhead, DFH Punkin Ale. Those are probably my top 3 pumpkin beers.

Southern Tier Pumking, Southern Tier Warlock, Horny Goat Hornycopia, Sam Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin, Sams Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale, and actually Blue Moon's Harvest Pumpkin Ale is good. I have a list of what I tried but those are the ones that ring a bell. 

Wasn't in much of a drinking mood yesterday, but I'm making up for it today.  This is my morning coffee:

Happy Thursday, NT. 
pimp.gif

Wasn't in much of a drinking mood yesterday, but I'm making up for it today.  This is my morning coffee:

Happy Thursday, NT. 
pimp.gif
nerd.gif

*Quickly snaps wrist up to look at watch, brings attention back at screen to time of post, and back at watch again*

nerd.gif
Haha hey...Thursday is my Sunday.  I work Friday-Sunday from 8 AM-9 PM.

If I want a beer at 10 AM on my day off, I'ma have a beer at 10 AM on my day off. 
laugh.gif

The 3 pumpkin beers I enjoy are DFH Punkin, Shipyard Pumpkinhead and, gasp, Blue Moon Pumpkin.

-J-

The 3 pumpkin beers I enjoy are DFH Punkin, Shipyard Pumpkinhead and, gasp, Blue Moon Pumpkin.

-J-
Try the Schlafly Pumpkin Ale if you get a chance.  That's a good one.

Not a fan of the style, but I'll be picking up a 6'er of that when it comes out.

Elysian Night Owl is king IMO

Also a big fan of

Wolvers Organic Pumpkin Ale
Southampton Pumpkin Ale
Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin
Southern Tier Warlock
Whole Hog Pumpkin
Shipyard Pumpkin (which gets killed but I think it's unique)
Dogfish Head Punkin
Lakefront Pumpkin Lager

I am very into pumpkin ales and def forgetting some; I try as many as possible from August through when I can't find them anymore

^ Me too. I have a list and if I haven't tried it, I'll get what I can before the season is over. 

Back
Top Bottom