NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Did any of you follow the GABF medal results?

troublebound666, do some places just bring beers to share/serve and sample that arent technically in any sort of competition for medals?

Locally, La Cumbre wins nothing. Marble takes home the small brewery of the year medal, along with two golds. A very caramel malt and piney hop Imperial Red, along with a Double White witbier, that is a bit tart with all belgium influence. Some of the other winners, I have overlooked over the years. I guess I will revisit them

Last edited:

troublebound666, do some places just bring beers to share/serve and sample that arent technically in any sort of competition for medals?

Locally, La Cumbre wins nothing. Marble takes home the small brewery of the year medal, along with two golds. A very caramel malt and piney hop Imperial Red, along with a Double White witbier, that is a bit tart with all belgium influence. Some of the other winners, I have overlooked over the years. I guess I will revisit them

Locally,Bottle logic took gold for lagerithm. It's a mile down from my house

I'm not entirely sure how the judging process works compared to the sampling process. I do know that were far more breweries that submitted beers for judging than were on the floor, and that's entirely due to space constraints in the convention center.

Thanks Jbug88 for the Smog City tip. Missed 'em at What The Funk but caught the Little Bo Pils at GABF...really nice stuff.

Glad you got to try them. I wish you could've had some of their more "advanced" stuff. Little Bo Pils is their basic pilsner. When I take new people that "like to drink Bud Light" to their brewery, it's what I have them try first. Great beer non the less. Cheers.

Glad you got to try them. I wish you could've had some of their more "advanced" stuff. Little Bo Pils is their basic pilsner. When I take new people that "like to drink Bud Light" to their brewery, it's what I have them try first. Great beer non the less. Cheers.

They were pouring a couple of their funky or sour brews at What The Funk!? on Thursday but I didn't make it to their table.

And I was running and gunning at GABF drinking mostly IPAs, sours, Berliner Weisses and more, so I was looking for pilsners to cleanse my palate every so often. They were there at just that time. Haha.

Interesting that Hop 15 got the nod over Pliny.

Bay area peeps: what recommendations do you guys have for checking out brewery/brewpub/beer bar-wise? The Trappist in Oakland, RRBC in Santa Rosa, Lagunitas in Petaluma are on the list. Thinking about doing The Rare Barrel in Berkeley. Will be in SF Saturday and Sunday and don't have any places there to check out just yet. Might do the Toronado there.

Post run brew. Was it bad that I was thinking about this the whole time I was running? :lol:

For you pumpkin beer lovers

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-best-pumpkin-beers-dogfish-head-avery-brewing-elysian

Damn, skipped on picking up #1 and 2 over the weekend on sale.

Bay area peeps: what recommendations do you guys have for checking out brewery/brewpub/beer bar-wise? The Trappist in Oakland, RRBC in Santa Rosa, Lagunitas in Petaluma are on the list. Thinking about doing The Rare Barrel in Berkeley. Will be in SF Saturday and Sunday and don't have any places there to check out just yet. Might do the Toronado there.

Mikkeller Bar in Union Square has a decent tap list. Food is on point also. Toronado is a must although it gets really packed on Sat nights. Also, if you're going to be in Oakland, my boy has a restaurant connected to Linden Street Brewing called The Dock. Awesome food!

Last edited:
I looked at the GABF results and barely recognized a name. Will have to some research...

Not a huge stout fan, but y'all have me ready to pick up Xocoveza next time I restock.

Have been trying to cut back a bit, :lol: but Six Point's Sensi Harvest has been on deck for a few weeks. Light, crisp, perfect Fall beer for me.

Mikkeller Bar in Union Square has a decent tap list. Food is on point also. Toronado is a must although it gets really packed on Sat nights. Also, if you're going to be in Oakland, my boy has a restaurant connected to Linden Street Brewing called The Dock. Awesome food!

La Trappe in SF is good.

Monks Kettle and Abbots Cellar as well.

Man oh man...Thursday and Friday in Denver we're where it's at.

What The Funk!? was beyond ridiculous. 30+ breweries pouring wild, funky, sour and barrel-aged beers. What a great time...had over 30 samples/pours that were all insane. The best one was Wicked Weed's Amorous sour IPA. It was borderline transcendent.

Other standouts were from The Rare Barrel, Virtue Cider, Side Project, Jester King and a lot more. Tried to stay away from the locals that I drink often but had to get a couple Crooked Stave rarities and Hogshead's Hog Wild IPA served from a legit oak firkin.

And then GABF was on Friday...went straight to Three Floyds for Zombie Dust and Permanent Funeral then to New Glarus for Serendipity and Brown Peach, then it was on...Saint Archer, Societe, Allagash, SingleCut Beersmiths, a bunch of Pa. breweries (wife is from there) and a ton more.

My Untappd was at 100 samples for the night but the official count was 101 because I didn't feel like manually entering one of them. The biggest surprise of the fest was the beers from Adroit Theory, a nano from Purcellville, Va. Had never heard of them, their booth looked cool so we stopped. And wow...they were killer.

And Fegley's Brew Works' Devious Imperial Pumpkin Porter was beyond bonkers. Best pumpkin beer I've ever tried...better than Pumking. For real.

Thanks Jbug88 for the Smog City tip. Missed 'em at What The Funk but caught the Little Bo Pils at GABF...really nice stuff.
That sounded like a bad *** time, man. I would kill to go to events like that but I don't have any social media so unless I specifically search for that kind of thing in the city, I never know. I really wanted to check out those joints you told me about when I was in CO a couple weeks back but just didn't have time. 

I've always wanted to get that Untapped App but I feel like I'm a little late and I've had a lot of different beers so I feel to far behind to start using it now 
laugh.gif

I swung by Woodman's in Kenosha yesterday and snagged a couple Pumpkin beers I haven't had. Apparently New Glarus is giving it ago as this is there first pumpkin beer they have done. haven't tried any of them yet but keep on keeping on with the Pumpkin beers, I guess! 

Last edited:
That sounded like a bad *** time, man. I would kill to go to events like that but I don't have any social media so unless I specifically search for that kind of thing in the city, I never know. I really wanted to check out those joints you told me about when I was in CO a couple weeks back but just didn't have time. 

I've always wanted to get that Untapped App but I feel like I'm a little late and I've had a lot of different beers so I feel to far behind to start using it now :lol:

They definitely were a great time. I'd definitely pay for What The Funk again...I've been here for 2 GABFs now and haven't paid for either one. There are tons of tickets given away, so we'll always try for those.

As far as finding beer events, BeerAdvocate (even though the Alstrom brothers who run the site are awful) and RateBeer are both solid for event listings. And every city/state seems to have a beer blog with listings too.

And it's never too late to start Untappd. Haha. I used it for a couple years before my wife signed up, and we're always out drinking together. She didn't want to do it at first and now she loves it. Sign up!

I have no idea about BeerAdvocate or Ratebeer having those events. I'm assuming you can put your email in for events and such? I'm gonna check it out, thanks homie.

Anyone ever split a Reserve society from the bruery with someone. I'm thinking of joining this up coming year but I doubt I'll max out allocations. If you appoint a trustee do they get discounts and access to the reserve only tap list at the brewery?

Last edited:
I've looked into that Reserve Society quite a few times and would love to get in on it with someone but living in Illinois, I'd need someone in CA so they can ship the beer out to me. I got a buddy in San Jose I'm trying to talk into doing it. It's open now to the Reserve Members:
The Bruery’s Reserve Society is a collection of our biggest supporters. Enrollment occurs on an annual basis in the Fall. Renewals for current Reserve Society members are available from September 22, 2014 until October 20th, 2014 at which point our Preservation Society members have the opportunity upgrade before the general public. If there is additional space available, those memberships will be available to the general public beginning October 29th, 2014. ​ 
Sounds like the odds of signing up unless your already one of the two memberships is pretty rare. And I don't wanna dump money into it not living in CA because I'd have no way of getting the beer unless I have a trustee or whatever they call them.

Figured I'd throw a couple of new reviews up for everyone.  This is what I've been up to the past 6 weeks or so:

Evil Twin Aun Mas Cafe Jesus- 9.1/10

Spider Bite Eye Be Use- 8.8/10

Green Flash Citra Session IPA- 9.2/10

Brew Bus Last Stop IPA- 8.9/10

Almanac Heirloom Pumpkin-9.5/10

NEBCO Gandhi Bot-9.5/10

Westbrook Citrus Ninja Exchange-9.1/10

The Bruery Oude Tart-9.0/10

Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti-9.3/10

Last edited:
The Bruery Oude Tart is fantastic as is all their sours. Their Autumn one is amazing. And I just found out my local spot at Yeti which is what I wanted to try in Colorado so I'm gonna pick some of those up this weekend hopefully. 

Last edited:

The Bruery Oude Tart is fantastic as is all their sours. Their Autumn one is amazing. And I just found out my local spot at Yeti which is what I wanted to try in Colorado so I'm gonna pick some of those up this weekend hopefully. 
OG Yeti is probably the hoppiest stout I've ever had.  Great beer regardless.

Anyone else slowly going into hibernation mode for the winter? Winter styles don't thrill me. Octoberfests are about the peak of my interest and those are selling out right about now. Pumpkin beers are ehhh. I had a shipyard pumpkinhead, a SA harvest saison (tastes almost like a tart hefeweizen), and a buffalo bills pumpkin ale to clean out my pumpkin stash around Monday. All were drinkable, but very unremarkable as far as flavors.. Other than that, I don't feel thirsty with this changing weather. Usually its a beer or two on the patio basking in the sun every evening. Now I'm confined to drinking only on the weekends and I don't feel left out. I'll probably drop a couple pounds now... I even chose not to go to a beerfest tomorrow. Unfortunately, I may take that $40, and buy four different growlers and have my own fest. We shall see.

Anyone else slowly going into hibernation mode for the winter? Winter styles don't thrill me. Octoberfests are about the peak of my interest and those are selling out right about now. Pumpkin beers are ehhh. I had a shipyard pumpkinhead, a SA harvest saison (tastes almost like a tart hefeweizen), and a buffalo bills pumpkin ale to clean out my pumpkin stash around Monday. All were drinkable, but very unremarkable as far as flavors.. Other than that, I don't feel thirsty with this changing weather. Usually its a beer or two on the patio basking in the sun every evening. Now I'm confined to drinking only on the weekends and I don't feel left out. I'll probably drop a couple pounds now... I even chose not to go to a beerfest tomorrow. Unfortunately, I may take that $40, and buy four different growlers and have my own fest. We shall see.
I feel like this is normal behavior.  Though I am in disagreement on the Pumpkin beers.  Fall is my favorite time for 'seasonal beers.'  The process of going out, bearing the cold, and not having the greatest beer selection during the winter months gets me to buying a 12 pack and 'hibernating,' like you said, as well.  It's just easier to do in the winter than in the summer when you feel like you should be outside.  It's always more going on in the summer that involves drinking too

Back
Top Bottom