NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Trying to cut down on IPAs though, I've been reading about the estrogenic effects on the male body. I drink mostly Heineken, if not maybe every once in a while, Lagunitas...
http://beerandwinejournal.com/ipa-boobs/

It's complete pseudoscientific BS.  The origin of the misinformation stems from a book called "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" by Stephen Herrod Buhner.  That title alone should be enough to make you question the source.  

If you're an IPA drinker and you have man-boobs, odds are it's not the estrogen.  It's due to the fact that you're drinking a high-calorie beverage and not making up for it by exercising regularly.  I've been drinking at least one IPA a day on average for over a year and I certainly don't have "man-boobs."  

Hmm...wonder why?

The hotter than helles wasn't bad, but I don't think this particular style is for me.

Night swim porter wasn't bad at all. Nice flavor, like a mix between a porter and an Irish stout. The oil slick color can fool you into thinking its thicker than it actually is. Medium carbonation(not my thing). It's not bad overall.

@mmmpr3s How did you like nib smuggler?

Last edited:

It's complete pseudoscientific BS.  The origin of the misinformation stems from a book called "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" by Stephen Herrod Buhner.  That title alone should be enough to make you question the source.  

If you're an IPA drinker and you have man-boobs, odds are it's not the estrogen.  It's due to the fact that you're drinking a high-calorie beverage and not making up for it by exercising regularly.  I've been drinking at least one IPA a day on average for over a year and I certainly don't have "man-boobs."  

Hmm...wonder why?

:lol: yeah that's straight BS. Any overuse of alcohol is gonna have negative effects on your overall health and subsequently your T levels but to say IPAs specifically is kinda silly. Beer in general isn't great for you in large quantities and it's definitely going to affect your weight and metabolism if the other aspects of your life aren't balanced and you don't get regular exercise.

I thought I was onto something when I bought singles, tried them, and picked a few ELITE contenders, for re buys..

Well I bought some rebuys.

SN Otra VEZ is a dud for me. There is this pear juice (i guess its cactus juice ) flavor that is just killing the whole profile for me. IT tastes like apples to me. It's not salty, or tart enough. Price is like $9/sixer. Buyer beware. 2nd time was not a charm.
------
Luckily, SN Citradelic IPA was a rebuy and not a dud. A whole 12 pack. Not regretting this decision. It's pale ale or lower in nature. But its crisp and bright and has this tangerine flavor that makes it so refreshing

Instead of a one try, I bought a sixer of the SA GF IPA.. Good decision. It doesnt smell or initially feel like an IPA. But theres this GF flavor (much more organic and natural feeling than BPs) that just wins me over. It happens middle to end of drink. Price point is nearly 2 times cheaper than BP. I was iffy, but I feel I probably have "big brewery biases" against the likes of SA, SN, NB, and the like. It was probably the first IPA I have ever had from them that didnt feel overly sweet or malty. They are learning lol

SN Hop Hunter was finally found fresher than normal. Citrus, and grassy type flavors. It feels bright and light. I'm really leaning against the DIPAs lately. SO these 6% flavorful gems are a nice transistion.

As a single try, Azacca really had that dank citrus nearly onion like flavor going for it. I was quite fond of it. I would put that in my "WOULD REBUY" category. ALthough looking at price point, its about $10/sixer. The three above , HH, SA GFIPA

Last edited:
Instead of a one try, I bought a sixer of the SA GF IPA.. Good decision. It doesnt smell or initially feel like an IPA. But theres this GF flavor (much more organic and natural feeling than BPs) that just wins me over. It happens middle to end of drink. Price point is nearly 2 times cheaper than BP

As a single try, Azacca really had that dank citrus nearly onion like flavor going for it. I was quite fond of it. I would put that in my "WOULD REBUY" category. ALthough looking at price point, its about $10/sixer. The three above , HH, SA GFIPA

Hmm...wonder why?
No, I'm solid. It's just something I hear bartenders and owners converse with me about every time I order.

Last edited:
based mod based mod yeah their Rebel Grapefruit IPA.

Not sure its because its brand new (and finally fresh around my way). I too am not too fond of their rebel rouser, or rieder, or just straight rebel IPA. For the first time, I felt I tasted a SA Ipa that wasnt overly malty or sweet. I'm sure I can show up again in April and they would have the same batch. So it's nice atleast to get some of their beers fresh. For $7/sixer vs. $13/sixer with Ballast Point, It's a different type of flavor, but one that is hard to pinpoint the differences. So far, halfway through a six pack, SA GF IPA has a very nice product. I don't see myself overspending on BP anytime soon
----------
Azacca was nice. But Looking at the bottled date of mid Dec., It probably doesnt have much time left (in my area;given no refrigeration and sunlight). Born yesterday was $10 around my way/sixer, so I am not against that pricing at all. I feel it kind of fell into a bad spot since I found some new favorites with NB Citradelic, SA GF IPA, and a nice revisit on Hop Hunter by SN, who are all cheaper. By the time I would want some Founders Azacca again, It may very well be March.

There is so much greatness out there, as well as 4-6 month old IPA duds. It's competitive, but one has to be smart.

Last edited:
:lol: at the man boob thing. As long as you're active and exercising regularly, you don't have to worry about man boobs (drinking IPA's or not).

I need to catch up on teh posts but I'm a BCS, FBS, Deatch by coconut, and 2 back woods bastarfs deep right now. I'm getting tired as
:lol:

I need to catch up on teh posts but I'm a BCS, FBS, Deatch by coconut, and 2 back woods bastarfs deep right now. I'm getting tired as
:lol:

Your post reminded me... Finally got to try Death by Coconut the other night. I loved the coconut flavor, wish it was just a touch thicker (I'm spoiled by these BBA stouts that pour like oil :smh:) but really enjoyed it overall. Ended up sharing 3/4 from the pack with friends because I was so excited.

Then went back to the store today where I found it Friday and it was already completely sold out again :smh:

I only drink stouts, even in the summer and it's 80 degrees out.

laugh.gif
Your post reminded me... Finally got to try Death by Coconut the other night. I loved the coconut flavor, wish it was just a touch thicker (I'm spoiled by these BBA stouts that pour like oil
mean.gif
) but really enjoyed it overall. Ended up sharing 3/4 from the pack with friends because I was so excited.

Then went back to the store today where I found it Friday and it was already completely sold out again
mean.gif
Probably the best beer I tried last year. Glad my local place always has some in stock.

Death by coconut is so good. Has any around the Chicago-land area been to Zum Bier out of Waukegan? They brew a beer called Maui Trickster and they use a ton of coconut when they brew it. I forget the amount, but when I stop in for beer or a growler fill, I usually always get one if they have it on draft. (Not in bottles yet)

DbC is still in my "seasonal" aisle at my area beer stores. It's pricepoint deters me though. I really really like it, but for $12/four pack, it's nearly that of a ten fidy without the booze. I tend to stockpile FBS until I can nolonger see my floor. That's about $10/four pack.

Thoughts on these three:
-Watermelon Dorado Double IPA
-Mango Even Keel Session Ale with Mango 3.8% ABV
-Pineapple Sculpin

They just hit my beer store.

BP is taking over my town. It's crazy. Not sure if its the new buyout but they are pushing lots of other beers off the shelves, leaving an entire arsenal of BP products.I guess its all about sales. Once people either buy or don't buy what I consider a bit overpriced, we can go from there.

It's weird. SA GF IPA is doing enough for me right now (on a GF flavor angle that I don't 'need' GF Sculpin'). Yall gotta try it.. Fresh Hop Hunter by SN is no slouch. NBs Citradelic IPA (more of a session pale ale imho) has just enough tangerine flavors that dont make it feel like an artifical blue moon. It's a 1-2-3 non local punch right now for me. I mentioned it a couple days ago but those have impressed me nicely.

There's like 4 new breweries that have either opened in the past two weeks or are opening up around my way in the next two weeks, and IMHO, these larger regional breweries are contending nicely. They are keeping my dollar. I won't be a "stay local" type for the hell of it.

Wicked weed pernicious IPA this morning after my graveyard shift. Going to Athens GA this weekend to check out Terrapin and Creature Comforts. Gonna pick up some brew for the super bowl.

A Anheuser rep convinced me to try two of their craft beers after he saw me with yuengling IPL(which he turned his nose up to, of course).

One was Koko Brown, and the other was Toasted Lager. The lager damn near tasted like a yuengling clone with a more toasted flavor. Ended up pouring half of it out. The Koko wasn't bad but was a too sweet for my liking. I'm surprised more people don't find it to be too sweet. If it had more malt and less coconut I would of really enjoyed it.

I still bought the yuengling a fellow nter suggested and what a surprised, it was better than both of the beers dude recommended. The IPL basically tasted like a hoppier version of regular yuengling and it was pretty good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom