NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Trying this 1 out, pretty boring
word? my coworker told me about it...was kind of amazed they made a fruit infused IPA. still want to try it tho.

had this recently tho.

Heady Topper Double IPA. Can Only. VT only. it was amazing. but getting it is no joke, my friend brought me a can back from VT. its quickstrike if its sold outside of VT. like yeezys.
I hated the aprihop...agree that it is boring. But is heady topper the brewer or is that the name of the double ipa? I live 20 min from vt so it might be worth the drive.
Nuh uh.  The brewer is The Alchemist.  Heady Topper is currently the only beer they make.  They're in Watertown.

Trying this 1 out, pretty boring

word? my coworker told me about it...was kind of amazed they made a fruit infused IPA. still want to try it tho.

had this recently tho.

Heady Topper Double IPA. Can Only. VT only. it was amazing. but getting it is no joke, my friend brought me a can back from VT. its quickstrike if its sold outside of VT. like yeezys.

I hated the aprihop...agree that it is boring. But is heady topper the brewer or is that the name of the double ipa? I live 20 min from vt so it might be worth the drive.
Nuh uh.  The brewer is The Alchemist.  Heady Topper is currently the only beer they make.  They're in Watertown.

Only damn brew they make but they make it very well. I recently got to try my first Heady about a month ago through a trade.... Lets just say that it lived up to the hype. I was not disappointed in the least. If any of you guys have access to Heady (if you live close) I will make it well worth your while to get me some in large quantities. I currently have a trade with a dude who is sending me 16 Headys but I want more! lol.

A steady dose of this is going down today.

Playoffs?!?!?!

Last edited:
Have a Doom sitting in the fridge... Surprised at how many are still on the shelves around the way.

Niceeee illphil!

This is me right now. But I have a few good ones lined up for today!

Wise choice.  Drank one last night at my friend's birthday party.

i can't get down with barleywine. too harsh for my palate. triple IPAs & bourbon barrel-aged imperial stouts aren't a problem for me, but barleywine just kills me :lol:

gonna have to try one that's been cellared for a few years since it sounds like that's what's meant to be done.

Beer fests were awesome. It seems the more I get into beers, the less I want to go and attend. I realize that most of the stuff I end up liking, I can't even buy. Or my palette is so jacked after a dozen samples, it all ends up being 'beer' as the days go by. Fun for sure, but I have since spent that $30-$50 bucks at the beer store buying cans and bottles of stuff to try. Beer that I can go to the store again to repurchase.

I have an all star lineup ready to go
Might try to throw down an IPA Challenge
- Victory Hop Wollop *double ipa. 92 BA score
- Dogfish Head 60 *92 BA score
- Dogfish Head 90 *double ipa. 95 BA score
- Oddell's IPA *95 BA score
- La Cumbre Elevated *97 BA score
- Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga Sub. *double ipa. 97 BA score

I have done this once before with I think 5 IPAs, with one of the choices being a beer rated in the 70s. Here the challenge will be that much more difficult with every beer being amazing quality.

In the Stout Bout, we have:
-Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout *89 BA score
-Santa Fe Brewing Imperial Java Stout *89 BA score
- Sierra Nevada Stout *91 BA score
- Victory Storm King Stout *Imperial *92 BA score
- Ipswitch Oatmeal Stout *93 BA score

I've never done a stout tasting, so this will be interesting. No Founders or other world class choices. This is technically just an assortment that is in my fridge (none specifically bought for a head to head 'tasting')
----------

And in a smaller hefe tasting, we'll try
Schneider Weisse Original 89 BA
Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse 91 BA
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen 91 BA
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier 98 BA

I absolutely love doing side by side taste challenges. Sometimes that solo beer you think is good on its own, turns out to be terrible in a side by side.

--------
Upstate2point0, you;d likely have to buy some root beer extract and throw it into a really light sweet looking beer for your fix. I don't know of any breweries doing a root beer type "beer". It needs to be done!

I'll be in NY this coming week. Can anyone recommend any must try beers or places to try stuff at. I'm checking out a Total Wine website listing for NJ and CT, and see many beers I can't obtain here. So my start is merely there. If anyone has any personal recommendations or hole in the wall places, please let me know.

I'll be in NY this coming week. Can anyone recommend any must try beers or places to try stuff at. I'm checking out a Total Wine website listing for NJ and CT, and see many beers I can't obtain here. So my start is merely there. If anyone has any personal recommendations or hole in the wall places, please let me know.
Top hops in soho is prob the best beer bar in NYC I been too also proletariat on st marks is one of my go to spots after a long day. Nice selection but pricey

Niceeee illphil!

i can't get down with barleywine. too harsh for my palate. triple IPAs & bourbon barrel-aged imperial stouts aren't a problem for me, but barleywine just kills me :lol:

gonna have to try one that's been cellared for a few years since it sounds like that's what's meant to be done.

That's weird lol. Usually people can handle the barleywines but not the DIPA and imperials. Different tastes I guess. If you want to try an aged barleywine I can try and get you one or two? I know a spot around my way that had 2012 and 2011 Bigfoot. I recently did a Bigfoot vertical 2007-2013 and it was amazing.

Niceeee illphil!

i can't get down with barleywine. too harsh for my palate. triple IPAs & bourbon barrel-aged imperial stouts aren't a problem for me, but barleywine just kills me
laugh.gif

That's weird lol. Usually people can handle the barleywines but not the DIPA and imperials. Different tastes I guess. If you want to try an aged barleywine I can try and get you one or two? I know a spot around my way that had 2012 and 2011 Bigfoot. I recently did a Bigfoot vertical 2007-2013 and it was amazing.
I had a 2009 Bigfoot on St. Patrick's Day.  Most excellent.  Like liquid caramel.  Currently aging some 2013s, let's hope I can resist the temptation to drink them more than the time I tried to age Bourbon County Stout. 
laugh.gif

I've been skeptical about bourbon barrel aged IPAs.  I can see the bourbon and vanilla notes working well in stouts and scotch ales, but a beer that's supposed to be floral and citrusy?  Then again, Founders makes some of my favorite beers so I trust their judgment.

If you want an awesome bourbon barrel beer, go for Allagash Curieux. One of the best beers I've ever had. Not an IPA, but a Tripel.

-J-

had one of these saturday, the guy in the liquor told me "you don't want that, too strong" 
laugh.gif
 it wasn't really though. it was actually smooth and had no bite.

Last edited:
Niceeee illphil!

Niceeee illphil!

i can't get down with barleywine. too harsh for my palate. triple IPAs

I had a 2009 Bigfoot on St. Patrick's Day.  Most excellent.  Like liquid caramel.  Currently aging some 2013s, let's hope I can resist the temptation to drink them more than the time I tried to age Bourbon County Stout. :lol:

i've got a 2010(?) old guardian sitting in the closet of my parents's house. gonna have to pop that open and see how if i still dislike barleywines :lol:

I've been skeptical about bourbon barrel aged IPAs.  I can see the bourbon and vanilla notes working well in stouts and scotch ales, but a beer that's supposed to be floral and citrusy?  Then again, Founders makes some of my favorite beers so I trust their judgment.

If you want an awesome bourbon barrel beer, go for Allagash Curieux. One of the best beers I've ever had. Not an IPA, but a Tripel.

-J-

need to find curieux. loved confluence and yakuza.

Jealous.  I'm drinking OG Breakfast Stout right now.

i hate you dudes with access to founders :smh:

had one of these saturday, the guy in the liquor told me "you don't want that, too strong" 
laugh.gif

it wasn't really though. it was actually smooth and had no bite.

he low key called you a b**ch

Niceeee illphil!

i can't get down with barleywine. too harsh for my palate. triple IPAs

I had a 2009 Bigfoot on St. Patrick's Day.  Most excellent.  Like liquid caramel.  Currently aging some 2013s, let's hope I can resist the temptation to drink them more than the time I tried to age Bourbon County Stout. 
laugh.gif

i've got a 2010(?) old guardian sitting in the closet of my parents's house. gonna have to pop that open and see how if i still dislike barleywines
laugh.gif

I had a 2010 Old Guardian a few months ago. Definitely mellowed out with the age plus I believe in 2010 the recipe was not as hoppy as it is now.  Have you tried any english style barlywines? I prefer the english style since they tend to be more malty than hoppy. Recently had some Sucaba from Firestone which is a barrel aged english style barlywine. It's so good. I wish I could have gotten a hold of the barrel aged version of bigfoot, though.

trying this hefe from black market brewery in Temecula. It's a decent hefe, starts with a piney flavor but it then moves to a real strong citrus note, with a medium-long finish. crisp. don't really like wheat beers with too strong fruity/floral flavors.

Back
Top Bottom