NTers who joined from 1999 to 2002....come in here real quick.

Found NT 04, joined 05, this is the alternate account cuz OG was banned

So hopefully 2006 is enough to voice my opinion

I still love it, but I transitioned to strictly runners now. Air maxes, Asics, Flyknits, Roshes,.... Less hype and relatively cheaper.

Plus I can't pay for more expensive Jordan retros while they hurt my feet so much compared to runners, and I'm pretty much on my feet all the time.

Thankfully of all the years spent here I've developed a circle and network strong enough to let me bypass all the headache

But still, I can not imagine being a new face to the culture in these days.

We talking automatic $200 for retros, $500-1K for more exclusive stuff, and upward of 1.5K+ if the stuff gets worn by a celebrity and appreciates.

So many variables, and influence of the market. The influx is insane....

I sold 80% of my DS stuff, cashed in. Still have the entire Yeezy line up 1&2 DS left and a few samples.

Case in point, when Flightclub had Yeezy 2s for under 3K, dude scoffed at me for asking 10K for my whole set (5 pairs DS), soon as FC got rid of their line up and raise the Yeezy price up couple $100 respectively as they sell. Now dudes rushing to offer me 10K for the lot. I'm not dumb, I'm gonna wait it out now.....

So to sum it up, I still love the culture at heart, but the culture itself has shifted and changed. I don't mind, I will adjust, but it won't be the same as before.

Its just not the same for me anymore.

I'll always love it here though. I lurk more now than anything.

I still love shoes. I remember the sheer joy of getting a pair of Jordan when i was a kid. The advent of the internet let us see previews of shoes before they were released, I felt special knowing what the next Jordan looked like before most people.

I still love shoes, but it's different now. Re-selling changed the game forever. People taking shoes away from those who really want to wear them just to profit off those same people.

It's all good though.

If I see a shoe I like, I basically have to hope no one else likes it...Social media as a whole has definitely contributed to this new form of sneaker buying and selling (Twitter, IG, Facebook). That and the prices and quality make it a rariety for me now to buy a new shoe.

Waking up at 5am (PST) to hopefully catch a link? Lining up or camping out? Nah Im good, I cant justify that at this point in my life, nor do i want to.

I'll come to SD and scoop you up. We can pitch a tent together. ODU days just like strolling through Military Circle Mall.

Not the same. Back then you didn't have a name for it, you just liked sneakers. It was cool to be on NT, because there was a community that liked sneakers also.

Now EVERYONE wants to be in to sneakers. I don't love sneakers for other people, I love them because I like other sneakers. It's not about impressing other people.
Sadly this is what I see happened |I Dudes tryna impress other dudes :smh:

Sup...been here since before NikePark.

Don't really care about sneakers like that...(mostly just clothes) and I stick to OG colorways and models if I do.

Since before NikePark?

There wasn't anything before NikePark...

Last edited:
I still stay fresher than most, but no. I dont care about sneaker culture. I was in it cus I love art. But its over populated with ppl seeking cool points and popularity. Plus, I got kids and more inprotant things to worry about.

I still have some old screenshots of NikePark and some throwback vintage pictures from the Golden Era on my first CPU. That thing has a 20 GB had drive. Ha! My phone has more than that now.

I don't understand why this thread is limited to those who joined in 99-'02.

Butttttttt...
I remember wanting/seeing Jordans for the longest time ever...Simply because I loved watching MJ and couldn't ever afford a pair.

I remember they'd use to sit at FL and go on sale...SALE. Same with the AJ 17s @ Copelands for $99...Ya just don't see that anymore.

Last edited:
Yep...Copelands Sports had RACKS of 99' Cement IV's, 99' fire red V's, white/navy VI's from 2000, Laney V's from 2000...smaller sizes...like size 10 and under for $39.99 each, or buy 2 for $80...copped 2 pairs of Laney V's back then...:pimp:

Nobody cared about J's like that back in 98/99/00/01.....wasn't until the Space Jam XI's that it really took off IMO, although people did stand in line for the Concord XI's, I remember the Space Jams in 01 being released and those were the first and only pair of kicks Ive ever stood in line for...over 50 people in line at my Champs for em but nothing compared to the lineups now though...

I also went to my first sample sale back in like 01/02...Bay Area heads know whats up...

Last edited:
Joined in late 99 vs early 2000 during my freshman year of college but of course my join date got messed up with all the switches between boards. Used to only visit the Jordan thread for release info now I stay primarily in the General thread although it has started to go off a cliff recently.

I think some of the shoes that started the whole fiasco was Laser 4s, the black/carolina blue 12s (with the hoodie + hat :lol:), and DEFINITELY altitude 13s.

Like damn, none of the shoes such as the raptor 7s got any attention like those mentioned above.

2dmfp8y.jpg

I definitely remember dude :lol:

It's very different now and I pretty much sold off anything that is "hyped" outside Royal 1's and IV's

Maybe I got older but it seems like every other dude is now a "sneakerhead" which also means I can't get anything I ever would want

I broke down and spent $400 on freakin Royal 1's because of the sentimental value that I have for them; that's insane

I remember when Supreme Dunks were $300 and that was most absurd resale sneaker; now that's pretty much the norm for every sneaker

It's crazy seeing what people go through to get shoes.

Every time I see the Bot thread pop up I cringe.

By no means am I an OG but seeing what's going on with sneakers to me isn't right at all. I have about 5 pairs of sneakers at this point, and I make sure that they're ones I actually like and plan to keep.

I also think what turned it is that stupid episode of cribs with Fat Joe and his collection. Kids started seeing that and wanted insta-collections. Those young and impressionable saw that episode and thought it was about buying kicks in bulk and what was not, not slowly building your collection and tailoring it to who YOU were. Too many lames sealing kicks in saran wrap and ziplock bags behind that stupid episode.

Ironically enough, it was ppl on boards like this around that time frame that ruined this so called "culture".

That's the truth.

When you open a subculture to the public, you make a Faustian bargain. You get a window where it is extremely helpful and the true heads reap all kinds of benefits. You expand networks, access, information, etc. But, it's a ticking time bomb because there's no barrier to entry to the culture any more - no cultural capital needed for a person to join... especially since NT doesn't even screen members anymore.

The state of things today is not some perversion - it's the natural and expected result on something like NT becoming successful. Look what corporate America did to hip hop? Look at what 12oz Prophet did to graff. Desecration of the culture is the endgame.

And, as for that state of the hobby - it's a volume issue; the lowest common denominator rules. "Sneakerheads" get the state of the hobby and the treatment from Nike that they deserve. I can't honestly sit here and say that I would operate all that differently if I was Nike. Dudes got Stockholm Syndrome.

But, I still love sneakers. I have never Twitter RSVP'ed, or used a bot, or anything like that. That's only one aspect of things. 99% of the people in the hobby could be poison - as long as there's a small community of people who "get it" I'll just continue to rock with them. The rest of it is just noise. I'm not going to stop listening to old Kane albums because Drake dropped another record, so why would a bunch of people fawning over ridiculous sneakers stop me from appreciating what I've always appreciated on my terms?

Back
Top Bottom