NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

It was 50 yards and I was using a standard tru glo red dot sight. I gained access to the private ranges and I can track my bullets better next time I go to the range I'll play with it more. I really just wanted to shoot 100 rounds through the thing

Well first lollipop it to the front site. Get the red dot close to the tip of the front site. Then try and zero it at 25 years and move your way up to father targets.

Edit: just realized it auto corrected to years :lol: yards man yards

Last edited:
Thanks man I'll watch a couple of vids on YouTube before I head out there again.

[COLOR=#red]I've been inactive far too long in this thread.

But anyway one of the best ways to get your rifle zeroed from the do it yourself method is to buy a laser bore sight. It will "get you on the paper" but you'll have to fine tune the adjustments on the sight (elevation and windage) itself. I've done it successfully a few times, but then again I've been shown how to do it the proper way by a gunsmith before doing it myself.

I wouldn't suggest shooting your rifle with a new scope/sight without getting properly zeroed, well beyond the few rounds you'll have to expend while getting zeroed.

In the video below he uses a universal bore sight laser, but there are some that are actually in the shape of the cartridge of the specific caliber of your firearm which is inserted into the chamber.

[/COLOR]

New jawn.

I sold of my M&P 45's to fund this. A while ago I found myself getting more in more back into the 1911 game. Initially the reintroduction of Rock River Arms 1911 brought me back. The RRA Basic Carry pistol was calling my name. Everything I was looking for in a 1911, at a reasonable price. After finding out they aren't expected to ship until June, I decided to look for something else. I knew there were certain features I wanted:

-checkered front strap
-Novak sight dovetail, and decent sights
-commander hammer
-beavertail safety

Was looking around for a few weeks at Dan Wesson's Valor, Les Baer Thunder Ranch and Custom Carry, Springifeld TRP. The Valor has gone up significantly in price over the last 2-3 years (now about $1700 for one with the black duty treat coat compared to $1400ish a few years ago). The Thunder Ranch was really what I had my eye on, I figured I'd be able to find a used one around $1500, no luck. Same with the Custom Carry.

Finally settled on the Colt Wiley Clapp model. It had everything on my list checked off (except for a ledge rear sight, but that's easily fixable), was well within my budget (with enough left over to buy a few hundred bullets, mags, holster). The only thing I didn't like about the Clapp were the grips; but again, that's easily fixable. Came with genuine Novak sights with brass bead front sight and blacked out rear (bead sights on a 1911 are just classic and fitting), original GI thumb safety (if there's one thing I hate on 1911's it's big hug extended slide stops and thumb safety's, it just looks gaudy to me).

Magwell is nicely beveled, front and rear strap checkering by Pete Single (one of the top 1911 machinists alive, to the point he's a legend in the custom 1911 arena and doesn't advertise or even build guns commercially anymore; occasionally he'll build an entire gun to auction off for charity, those guns usually sell for over $5k), national match barrel is nice and tight, and that Colt blue......that Colt blue.....

Anyway, got it last week, dabbed some lube in key spots, and took it the range on Sunday.

It must have jammed at least twice on every magazine. To the point where I was embarrased having to clear my gun as often as I did.

When I got home, I mic'd a few of the trouble rounds I found. The overall diameter at the case head (where the cartridge headspaces on the barrel) came in at .473-.474, compared to the box of factory ammo I shot problem free earlier in the session, which mic'd at .470. Disassembled the gun and tried the plunk test*, the problem rounds would not plunk, meaning the case mouth was too big for the barrel.

Ordered a carbide crimp die which broud OAD down to .471 pretty consistently, and rounds now pass the plunk test. Anyway, I'll take it back out this weekend with a hundred or so of my reloads, to verufy that worked and my new target load functions properly in the gun (I've settled on 200 gr coated lead semi wadcutters loaded to 1.23-1.24 overall length with 5.6 gr of CSB 1 powder. Mild load that should chrono around 870 fps and easily make major power factor.)

Anyway, on to the pics. Only thing I did to it was to swap out the stock grips and bushings (thin) to standard bushings and rosewood grips with the colt emblem.

Holster is a Milt Sparks summer special 2. Theres just something right about steel and leather....

Light shooting today

We had the ar and ak out for some long shots after the clays too. Like 6 hours of shooting :lol:

Last edited:
Me and the fellas hit some countryside to let off a few rounds. A couple of AR's, shotguns, 9mm & 45mm's, rifles, tons of ammo. I'm still getting my feet wet with firearms, but between the 4 of us, had around 20 firearms to chose from, Ridic.

I finally got a chance to let off a few with the Winchester 30/30.

My 200 dollar 870. This thing sees like 500 rounds a week.

If anyone wants 180 rounds of 5.45x39 for the dirt hit me up. I accidentally got that instead of 7.62 for my ak because the boxes are identical. Smh

Last edited:
My 200 dollar 870. This thing sees like 500 rounds a week.

If anyone wants 180 rounds of 5.45x39 for the dirt hit me up. I accidentally got that instead of 7.62 for my ak because the boxes are identical. Smh

How long is the barrel on that? That finish is :pimp:

Thanks man. Your collections is :pimp: pistol game on point. I'm really not sure :lol: I just bought it off my boy. I think it's a 26 inch. It's short as hell. That's my clay gun now.

What do you guys think of vortex red dots? I need to throw a red dot on my ak. Unless anyone else has experience hitting coyotes on the run at dusk? I think that will work fine. I need it to hold a zero being bounced around but I think any decent red dot can do that.

Thanks man. Your collections is :pimp: pistol game on point. I'm really not sure :lol: I just bought it off my boy. I think it's a 26 inch. It's short as hell. That's my clay gun now.
It's dope either way man, and I appreciate it. I've been looking at the 6 inch GP100 but I keep dragging my feet on getting it.

Noob Question

What are the three pistols to the right and what is the bottom rifle

The stainless one is a Taurus PT-92 9mm the next one is a Desert Eagle Mark VII .44 magnum and the one to the far right is a Rock Island Armory 1911 tactical .45 ACP

It looks nice as hell I'm guessing that model falls under the restricted ones now from the Russian import ban right? Either way that's a dope collection man that's how you build it. You've got everything covered

It looks nice as hell I'm guessing that model falls under the restricted ones now from the Russian import ban right? Either way that's a dope collection man that's how you build it. You've got everything covered

I appreciate it man, I've been adding pieces over the past few years, it's Serbian so it didn't fall under the ban from last year. The version I have is with the unfinished wood/RPK style receiver. Last year apparently Century stopped importing them so the ones that are out there are the only ones left from what I've read. The NPAP is everywhere right now and basically the same version with finished/treated wood/different receiver but essentially the same rifle. I've shot both and you cant go wrong with either one but when I was on the hunt for an AK the OPAP was easy to get.

What do you guys think of vortex red dots? I need to throw a red dot on my ak. Unless anyone else has experience hitting coyotes on the run at dusk? I think that will work fine. I need it to hold a zero being bounced around but I think any decent red dot can do that.

I have the vortex strikefire II. Vortex has been around for awhile and still fairly a new brand to the gun world. But their reputation has been going up from what i've seen the last couple years. Their products are pretty damn solid for their price range and not cheaply made or cheap looking like other brands. You will def get your moneys worth for sure.

if its in your price range, then i say buy one. Unless you can find a better brand/red dot in your price range.

Yeah I think that's what I'll do. I'm not trying to spend a ton. It isn't a super nice gun or anything.

It's almost g43 time! I'm looking to pick one up once they can be found at msrp or below

Speaking of glocks, anyone here have experience stippling?

Yeah I think that's what I'll do. I'm not trying to spend a ton. It isn't a super nice gun or anything.

[COLOR=#red]Ive had the Vortex Strikefire on my Zastava PAP M90 since 2012. It's inexpensive, but it's not cheap by any means. Nitrogen purged so it doesn't fog, dropped it by mistake directly on the scope but it kept zero, stands up to the recoil of 7.62x39. It's accurate as well. The only major thing Aimpoint has on it is that amazing battery life. The Strikefire battery life isn't a slouch, but dam you almost never have to turn off an Aimpoint.[/COLOR]

3rd time shooting ever today. Rented a Springfield XD compact 9mm, Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm compact, and Glock 40 cal.... Still trying to get my feel and groove right. The fit of the XD was amazing! The S&w seemed to have the least amount of recoil, but it kept jamming. Guess I was breaking my wrist...

All in all I enjoyed myself. Want to try some other models/brands out, but it's looking like the XD will be my first pickup. Oh and stick sights suck! Could barely focus in and find the middle one!

Back
Top Bottom