NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

I run Hornady TAP hollow tips in the XD btw, them joints will put a bad guy down asap'idly

Wanna post some pics but can't :frown:
planning to get a few legal handguns and hopefully a concealed firearm permit. Anyone have one in ca? How hard is it to get? Heard it's easier to get it in different counties

as far as carry ammo goes, google dr. gary roberts and his list. Anything on that list is gtg. He's done extensive ballistic testing of most major handgun and rifle defense ammunition. Based on his list, I have the following, in various quantities:

9mm:

147 gr bonded rangers
124 gr gold dots
127 gr +9 rangers

45 acp:

230 gr gold dots
230 gr HST's
230 gr +p HST

Of course, a good, heavy flat nosed load will do some damage as well (better than round nose ball FMJ)

I'm going to try to go out to a range tomorrow to try the chronograph out to see what kind of velocity I'm getting out of my handloads and SD ammo. Will be taking the FS M&P 9 and the 1911.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo

Any Springfield XD fans? Any reviews? Pro or cons? Thinking compact 9mm 4'.

I copped me an XDm 9mm compact a little over a year ago. (shout to http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/)

My first firearm.

I absolutely love it. I tried a couple different things. M&P. Bodyguard. Shield. Glock 19.

definitely happy with my purchase. I love the build, the design, fits perfect for my hand size. I like the stock trigger better than any of the other I shot. have probably about 1000 rds thru it thus far and I haven't had any issues.

that said, it really does come down to personal preference.

Best thing you can do is research, try different things out, and zero in on the ones you like, for whatever reason.

Thanks man. I tried two other different pistols and this by far felt the best...
What's a shield exactly?? (Excuse the n00bness oozing from my lost lol)
I think everything is spot o to the reasons why I like it. I have two small children, so those added safety features, albeit nothing major, seems to ease my mind as a first time purchaser.

I did manage to shoot a Glock 40, M&P 9mm along with the XD. The Glock felt good, too much power. The M&P I actually thought shot the smoothest with the least amount of recoil, but it kept jamming. The attendant said it had more to do with me breaking my wrist when I shot, but i didn't have the problem with the other two... Lastly the XD just seems to fit. I have large hands but they seemed to grip rather comfortably. Although the recoil kick as more than the M&P, I felt more at home with that one.

I do plan to go back to shoot the Glock 9mm families because I didn't rent any of those. But for right now, the XD is the front runner for all the above mentioned reasons....

Now let's talk sights! Could barely see those damn things on the stock rentable joints. I assume these can be replaced and customized???

If you're going to go with 40, the M&P is king. It was designed from the ground up to be a 40 caliber pistol. Pre gen 4 glock 40 cals were basically 9mm's with a different slide, and weren't optimal for the extra recoil and energy of the 40. There were also issues when using a weapon mounted light. From what Ive read, the gen 4 has taken care of that problem.

The XD(M) has one of the best out the box striker fire triggers I've ever felt. The M&P's stock trigger varies wildly from "ok" to "major suck". About half the M&P's Ive owned had suck triggers, but the apex parts make a big difference are are pretty simple to install. Glock trigger is very consistent, easy to work on.

For 9mm, close your eyes and take your pick, they'll all work fine, though a 9mm glock is hard to beat.

You can absolutely change and replace the stock sights with something better. Sights are a personal preference; I like a nice hi viz tritium front (basically, a tritium front with a bright orange ring around the tritium vial) and a blacked out rear. Some people like traditional 3 dot set ups, some like 2 dot setups.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all of the support! I'm actualky back at the range saturday to shoot. Want to rent 3-4 more guns to get my final feel before I buy... Any recommendations on what I should rent?

proud xd owner :pimp:

Checking in, looking to purchase my first handgun and I'm looking at the G26 Gen 4. Any tips on how to get the best price. I've seen between $500-$520 brand new w/ $600 being the highest.

Checking in, looking to purchase my first handgun and I'm looking at the G26 Gen 4. Any tips on how to get the best price. I've seen between $500-$520 brand new w/ $600 being the highest.

Just call local shops and get pricing on them of your law enforcement emt or anything of that magnitude mention the blue label program and check gunbroker.com but check with your local stores too to find out ffl transfer fees and to get it approved before you buy.

Sup guys, I currently carry a Gen 3 G30 SF year round. It's cool in the winter because it can be easily concealed but not so much in the summer/spring. Was thinking about picking up a Ruger LCP for spring/summer carry. I have heard mixed reviews about the caliber (.380) and the pistol overall. Anyone have any experience with the LCP (good or bad) or any recommendations on a reliable pocket pistol around that price range (250-400)?

Thanks

Jus wanted to throw in if you cop and M&P in .40 litterally all u need is a 9mm barrel and 7 can swip swap all day.

Probably will be my next pistol buy

Ran 250 rounds through my shield jammed on the 3rd round ever then smooth sailing. Also got a real nice metal pistol target. The spinning kind. I hate shooting paper.

Nice choice. I carry my XD40 mostly, sometimes my subcompact xd45.

Springfield Armory is RUNNING this thread right now by the way lol. #XDHOMIES

[COLOR=#red]From Hi-Point to H&K all firearms are appreciated in this thread as long as it's safe and the owner is responsible.

I'm going to do my part by sharing info on the less talked about brands/manufacturers. [/COLOR]

Ewd are Cz shotguns good? Saw a pretty nice looking Cz semi auto the other day.

[COLOR=#red]Yes they are good to great shotguns, just not the familiar foreign brands like Benelli, Beretta, FN, Franchi, etc, etc. For the record the Slavic nations make EXCELLENT and robust firearms. The Springfield XD is actually a Croation national product marketed as the HS2000, that Springfield made an arrangement with and brought it into the US en masse as the Springfield XD...also the Zastava AKs which have features that are unique and robust (like a thicker receiver) are Slavic. That region has been in armed conflict for decades and have developed their weapon craft quite well my dude. Just that they don't benefit from as much mainstream success and recognition. Off topic but CZ pistols are nice as well.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom