NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

Anybody know if there are in differences in this box of gold dots

compared to the regular black and gold box?

Anybody know if there are in differences in this box of gold dots

compared to the regular black and gold box?

The box you posted is the bullet only, not the loaded cartridges you're probably looking for. If you aint reloading, you don't want those (if you already bought them feel free to send them to me for disposal :tongue: )

And since you got all them 40's, you might as well get some of the good stuff to feed em. Best deal on defensive service caliber ammo out there. It's FBI contract overrun ammo (i.e. the same ammo the FBI uses)

http://sgammo.com/product/40-cal/50...ain-bonded-hollow-point-winchester-q4369-ammo

I ordered 8 boxes from natchez when they had it for 17.99 a few weeks ago; now its up to 22.99

Last edited:
^gotcha big homie and nah I didn't place an order for them but if I did you could have them gladly you've hooked me up plenty of times lol. As far as the bullets I think I gotta go with the gold dots simply cause I have them in every gun I own except the ar...my LGS is gonna see if they can order me four boxes. Btw Nt Fam the M&P is no sleeper...its a great gun love it more than my glocks.

My one and only. But I'm I'm the market for a 9, any advice? I'm a rookie to the gun game.

If you like H&K take a look at the P30, P30L, or USP9.

If you want to try striker fired then there's the VP9 for a little less

Wanna get my hands on an M&P pro series 9mm. CA handgun roster is buns doe :smh:

IMO, the Pro isn't really worth the price they go for.

You can get an m&p 9 (or 40) for $420, apex kit for $75 and $75 for sights and you'll have basically the same gun with a better trigger and equal or better sights.

Unless you get the 5 inch, that thing is great. Also, the backstraps from the pro are very desireable and easily command $25-$30 a piece on different boards. It makes sense to me to buy one, sell the back straps for $75, buy the stock factory backstraps at $5 (when you can find them in stock) and pay $35 for an apex usb. MY fav trigger setup is the pro sear and apex usb, gives a good, crisp 5 lb trigger.

I think I just contradicted my whole point.....but I was trying to say unless your rocking with the 5" version, the 4.25 juice isn't really worth the squeeze. But that doesn't matter for you Mike, since all M&P's are off roster, right? How much would a good condition used M&P pro go for (or is it even legal to transfer to others now?)

And Velle, as far as carry ammo goes, as long as it's on DocGKR's list, and runs well in your gun, it's all the same thing. I just know a lot of gun stores will try to hit you for $25 box of 20 premium ammo, when you can get more equally good ammo for significantly cheaper.

Would be going for the 5"

and yeah the only M&P on the roster is the shield lol. Only way to obtain the pro series would be to buy thru a private party sale. There used to be a single shot exemption which served as a loophole to bring in nearly any handgun, but it no longer exists. So all the handguns brought into CA using that method are selling for a pretty penny now.

^ that really sucks. Im sure used M&P's are probably selling for $600 or some other ridiculous amount. I have a good friend that moved out to oakland a couple of years ago, and he last year he was talking about buying one of m&p 45's. But I guess that aint happening now
(he'll be ok, he's got an hk usp45c)

I guess theres always glock/vp9/ppq....but gatdamn those horrible neutered mags. I'd go glock just to have the option of full capacity mags.

Yup 10 rd mag capacity is ridiculous, especially when the pro series holds 17+1 smh.

You could always have some disassembled high caps for out of state use though [emoji]128517[/emoji]

Finished my FID/LTC class. I was very interested and hooked to what the instructor was saying. Visually showed us how to take apart and load a revolver, long arm and shotgun. So now i must call this number i was given and have to fill out another application and give reasons as why i need a LTC. Any good reasons y'all can help me with?

Finished my FID/LTC class. I was very interested and hooked to what the instructor was saying. Visually showed us how to take apart and load a revolver, long arm and shotgun. So now i must call this number i was given and have to fill out another application and give reasons as why i need a LTC. Any good reasons y'all can help me with?

Well.. why do you want it?

Home defense. However, know if i put that on the application and tell the person in charge that reason... They probably won't grant me the license. So what were your reasons for obtaining a LTC?

@richie I might just end up ordering them cause finding Speer is hard as hell to find. Natchez had a couple of things that caught my eye but unfortunately they don't ship to Alabama for some reason. Also Richie I want to get rid of the stock m&p trigger it's too long for my liking. Do you recommend running the usb set up like you said earlier or would you get the fss

Had a huge malfunction in my glock 21 at the range. Bullet fired but the casing was stuck in the barrel. All I could think was that I'm glad I wasn't getting shot at because the range officer had to remove it. Anybody knows what could've possibly caused it?

Last edited:
^ Vel,

Here's another link to awesome ammo at an incredibly great price; another one on Doc's list (posted below for ease, it's mislabeled as hydrashock, but these are hst's)

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Federal-Hydra-Shok-40-S-W-180-Grain-JHP-Ammo-p/p40hst1b.htm

If the M&P trigger is too long, the FSS will take care of that. Only things I don't like about it are that it's a very light trigger, I shot one a fella at the range had and it felt somewhere around 3-3.5 lbs. For my tastes, thats too light for something that might get carried, along with the shorter trigger pull. But no doubt about it, it's a very good trigger. IF your looking at the FSS, might as well take a look at the flat version as well. The flat trigger I had in my 1911 seemed lighter and more uniform than curved triggers, which feel different weights depending on where you pull the trigger; I'm a fan of the flat trigger concept.

The DCAEK is probably the best overall trigger improvement for the money, as they can be had around $82 or so from amazon (with free shipping if your a prime member).

For me, the apex sear and USB are enough for a good, 5-6 lb trigger. The USB is definitely worth the price, it smooths the trigger pull and usually lightens the pull weight as well. You could go with the USB and AEK trigger for around $70 that should drop the feel of the trigger to around 5 lbs, and reduce both pretravel and overtravel, giving you a shorter trigger pull. But I don't mind a long, trigger pull as long as the pretravel is smooth and the

Regarding ammo, I know I've mentioned DocGKR's list many times in this thread. He's one of the leading authorities on ammunition performance, and works for/with a police agency that has the resources to properly and thoroughly test this stuff. Here's a summation he posted about the subject on pistol-forum.com

Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers-pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of pistol you choose, and best suits your likely engagement scenarios.

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
Remington Golden Saber bonded 124 gr +P JHP (GSB9MMD)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester 124 gr +P bonded JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P PT
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

.40 S&W:
Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
Speer Gold Dot 165 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (RA40B/Q4355/S40SWPDB1)

.45 ACP:
Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Hornady Critical Duty 220 gr +P JHP
Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

Notes:
-- Obviously, clone loads using the same bullet at the same velocity work equally well (ie. Black Hills ammo using Gold Dot bullets, Corbon loads using Barnes XPB bullets, etc…)

-- Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 15 or 20 years ago. These older bullets tend to plug up and act like FMJ projectiles when shot through heavy clothing; they also often have significant degradation in terminal performance after first passing through intermediate barriers. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's.

Last edited:

Was fighting a bogus felony charge for 2 years...case finally got dropped so I'm able to go shopping again.

Gun show came through Indianapolis...picked up the Palmetto State Armory AR-15 to the left and the Kahr CT9 9MM handgun.

Added a few things. Can't wait to shoot.

That's awesome... definitely exciting to shoot for your first time.

I want to the range for the first time in about a year.

Shot well enough with my Springfield XD-9. At farther distances I was hitting down and to the left a bit. Grouping was still good, just needs a little fine tuning.

That's awesome... definitely exciting to shoot for your first time.

I want to the range for the first time in about a year.

Shot well enough with my Springfield XD-9. At farther distances I was hitting down and to the left a bit. Grouping was still good, just needs a little fine tuning.
Thanks man. Any suggestions on what handgun i should try for my first time shooting at the range?

It was great shooting for the first time. The owner of the shooting range was real nice and helpful. I shot the glock 19 for 50 rounds.
Im definitely coming back to shoot again. Heres my target

And the glock 19 i fired

Last edited:
Im now fortunate to have access to private property (cabin in the mountains, 22 acres) to shoot my guns. I must say, I like my AR pistol more than my 16"

[COLOR=#red]I support the cheek weld method of shooting the rifle shorties. It's so hard for me to refer to them as pistols lol, they shoot rifle rounds.[/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom