NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

looking @ getting a .380 pistol in the near future, not trying to spend too much ($300 tops).
was looking @ Kel-Tec P3AT, Bersa Thunder 380, Taurus TCP, & Ruger LCP -- which is the best?
There are too many good pocket 9mm to settle for a 380 because with 380 you are settling.

I'm 18, but not 21.
I live in Texas.
How do I get a handgun, legally.
Serious.
Private seller. You may run into trouble buying ammo tho.

Copping a Gen. 4 Glock 19 for 425 ina few weeks

Might spend the extra 25 and get a Gen 3 compensated version

:pimp:

i heard those compensator vents get all glogged up with powder. i don't know if there is any truth to that.

i'm thinking of copping a 1911 or another ak once i get my school refund. :evil:

There are too many good pocket 9mm to settle for a 380 because with 380 you are settling

I don't want a 9mm @ this point in time & that whole "settling" thing you're talking is completely false. It's not the caliber of the gun; its who's behind the trigger. My cousin is retired special forces (does private security now) & totes a .380 (he's got an AR-15 & a semi-auto MP5 as his "primary" guns--carries one or the other at all times) for his sidearm. He could kill a man with his bare hands in like 50 ways, but he totes a .380 at all times

Last edited:
Can I get an opinion from you guys?..I bought my wife a Hi Point 9mm for Christmas this year..Don't laugh, I know it's a cheap gun but she wanted to get into shooting and I didn't have alot of money at the time to buy her a gun(especially since she had never fired a weapon and I wasn't sure if she'd like it or not)..Now after going to the range several times we both want new 9mm's..She's gonna have to wait cause she doesn't have shoes she can sell to buy her a new gun, lol..But I do and I want some advice on what I should get..I don't want to go over 450 after taxes and background check fees, so I'm looking at about 400..I'm also enrolled to take my CCW class in about 1 1/2 months so I need something that I can carry with me thats not going to weigh a ton like the Hi Point 9mm..I've been lurking this thread for several months and would take what most of you guys say as a solid piece of advice..So please help me out..Thanks..

I don't want a 9mm @ this point in time & that whole "settling" thing you're talking is completely false. It's not the caliber of the gun; its who's behind the trigger. My cousin is retired special forces (does private security now) & totes a .380 (he's got an AR-15 & a semi-auto MP5 as his "primary" guns--carries one or the other at all times) for his sidearm. He could kill a man with his bare hands in like 50 ways, but he totes a .380 at all times

I know that the equipment is only a fraction of things to take into consideration but just because you can kill someone with a pointy stick doesn't mean its the end all answer. Ask your cousin if he had to choose between 9mm or .380 which caliber he would choose. I imagine he uses his .380 because for a long time there were no pocket 9mm guns and he's comfortable with it but recently quite a few companies have come out with some good 9mm guns.

Just so you know, only some FMJ .380 meet the FBI minimum of 12" of penetration while you have many options in JHP in 9mm that meet and exceed the minimum. I'm not even going to go into the simple fact that handguns are poor fight stoppers anyway but that's a whole other story.

I own a .380 diamondback and I will tell anyone, never use a .380 as your primary because any .380 will jam from time to time. I use my diamond back for backup and I use my glock 23 for primary. Any gun will kill somebody the only fear though is to have your pistol jam during self defensive.glock and H&K I will trust with my life as far as pistols. Just my opinion

Can I get an opinion from you guys?..I bought my wife a Hi Point 9mm for Christmas this year..Don't laugh, I know it's a cheap gun but she wanted to get into shooting and I didn't have alot of money at the time to buy her a gun(especially since she had never fired a weapon and I wasn't sure if she'd like it or not)..Now after going to the range several times we both want new 9mm's..She's gonna have to wait cause she doesn't have shoes she can sell to buy her a new gun, lol..But I do and I want some advice on what I should get..I don't want to go over 450 after taxes and background check fees, so I'm looking at about 400..I'm also enrolled to take my CCW class in about 1 1/2 months so I need something that I can carry with me thats not going to weigh a ton like the Hi Point 9mm..I've been lurking this thread for several months and would take what most of you guys say as a solid piece of advice..So please help me out..Thanks..
[COLOR=#red]
Have you ever considered buying a quality used handgun? That's exactly the way I bought my first handgun...a nice Beretta 96 (.40 Caliber). I payed just over $400 for it. I figured I'd start off humble and get familiar with handguns since at the time I was only versed in rifles and shotguns. Then 6 months later I bought a $1k Kimber 1911 with Laser grips :lol: Anyway that may be an option for you.[/COLOR]

I'm not even going to go into the simple fact that handguns are poor fight stoppers anyway but that's a whole other story.

[COLOR=#red]But yet you did...and every single time I see or hear statements like that I will respond. Let's keep all the scientific, ballistic gel penetration, "box o truth" research out of this and keep it simple and factual. Fact: Handguns for the most part offer the best option for concealability and portability. Fact: A freaking handgun will kill a person. Fact: None of these "handguns are a poor choice" advocates would want to be on the wrong side of a handgun. There you have it.

AR Guy, you know I respect you, if you don't well I'm here saying that I do, and I'd love to be able to go to the range and go weapon shopping with you...but brother you do realize that every class of firearm has it purpose and place and its advantages based on situation. Don't get me wrong...when I deploy to the warzone I always choose a rifle/carbine over the pistol...but that's because in those situations I'm allowed to walk around all day everyday with a rifle slung on me. I can't do that here in America and neither would I want to. And to be honest there were times when I was deployed in a vehicle where I wish I had a pistol. Ever try shooting a carbine with one hand shooting and the other driving? Much easier with a pistol.

All that to say the situation and the environment determines what is the best option and handguns DO kill and do so effectively.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]Side Note: I'm headed back to Afghanistan next week, was supposed to be there already but was delayed...but this time I'm not going to be able to draw a weapon because I'm going as a contractor and it wasn't written into the contract, where last time I was Fed Gov't and it's automatic that we get rifles. Kinda bummed, but oh well.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]But yet you did...and every single time I see or hear statements like that I will respond. Let's keep all the scientific, ballistic gel penetration, "box o truth" research out of this and keep it simple and factual. Fact: Handguns for the most part offer the best option for concealability and portability. Fact: A freaking handgun will kill a person. Fact: None of these "handguns are a poor choice" advocates would want to be on the wrong side of a handgun. There you have it.
AR Guy, you know I respect you, if you don't well I'm here saying that I do, and I'd love to be able to go to the range and go weapon shopping with you...but brother you do realize that every class of firearm has it purpose and place and its advantages based on situation. Don't get me wrong...when I deploy to the warzone I always choose a rifle/carbine over the pistol...but that's because in those situations I'm allowed to walk around all day everyday with a rifle slung on me. I can't do that here in America and neither would I want to. And to be honest there were times when I was deployed in a vehicle where I wish I had a pistol. Ever try shooting a carbine with one hand shooting and the other driving? Much easier with a pistol.
All that to say the situation and the environment determines what is the best option and handguns DO kill and do so effectively.
[/COLOR]

Elder, you're you know I have the utmost respect for you too and no way would I take what you said as disrespect. Nothing that you said I disagree with. Pistols were born out of convenience, portability and concealability and in that some sacrifices had to be made. If I could I would carry a rifle with me, cut since I can't I bring my pistol. In the entire firearm scheme of things handguns rank the lowest on killability (just made that word up). Plus I believe 9mm=.45=.40, there are not enough variations between the three to say on is significantly better than the other. I like 9mm because it's cheap and with pistols the more rounds the merrier.

Also I only mean poor in comparison to other firearms. Compared to most other weapons it's great. And of course I wouldn't want to be shot with a pistol. I also wouldn't want to be hit with a frying pan either.

[COLOR=#red]Side Note: I'm headed back to Afghanistan next week, was supposed to be there already but was delayed...but this time I'm not going to be able to draw a weapon because I'm going as a contractor and it wasn't written into the contract, where last time I was Fed Gov't and it's automatic that we get rifles. Kinda bummed, but oh well.[/COLOR]

Well stay safe out there. I'm stuck at Fort Sill learning Field Artillery. I'm trying to learn the deployment cycle of the unit I'm going to to see if I'll be headed over there in the future. Also actually met a couple of your frat brothers out here, real good guys.

[COLOR=#red]AR Guy, I lol'ed at the frying pan comment.

Hey Sir, your time will definitely come as far as deployment. You can trust and believe that during your career we will be in another conflict and we are going to need the "King of Battle. Nothing is more de-motivating that artillery raining out of the sky with dang near GPS precision. And to be honest with how conflicts are these days Arty gets out on patrols as well. With my intel job with the gov't I had to learn arty...from self propelled to towed, the difference between a field gun, howitzer, gun howitzer, and the different trajectories and ranges of them and what not...so I know the effectiveness of Arty.

Keep in touch and I hope you're still an NT'er when you get Full Bird or beyond haha.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]
Have you ever considered buying a quality used handgun? That's exactly the way I bought my first handgun...a nice Beretta 96 (.40 Caliber). I payed just over $400 for it. I figured I'd start off humble and get familiar with handguns since at the time I was only versed in rifles and shotguns. Then 6 months later I bought a $1k Kimber 1911 with Laser grips :lol: Anyway that may be an option for you.[/COLOR]

I would have no problem doing that but Im nowhere near qualified to tell if a used handgun is a good deal or not..Or if there are any potential issues with that particular piece..I think the only places around me that sell used firearms is pawn shops and I definately don't want to buy from a pawn shop around my area..

[COLOR=#red]

I would have no problem doing that but Im nowhere near qualified to tell if a used handgun is a good deal or not..Or if there are any potential issues with that particular piece..I think the only places around me that sell used firearms is pawn shops and I definately don't want to buy from a pawn shop around my area..

Find a FFL Dealer and buy a gun online and have it shipped to the dealer nearest you

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

You can also find some nice deals on there for 450 or less

You can check Cheaperthandirt.com and Budsgunshop.com for some cheap deals

[COLOR=#red]AR Guy, I lol'ed at the frying pan comment.
Hey Sir, your time will definitely come as far as deployment. You can trust and believe that during your career we will be in another conflict and we are going to need the "King of Battle. Nothing is more de-motivating that artillery raining out of the sky with dang near GPS precision. And to be honest with how conflicts are these days Arty gets out on patrols as well. With my intel job with the gov't I had to learn arty...from self propelled to towed, the difference between a field gun, howitzer, gun howitzer, and the different trajectories and ranges of them and what not...so I know the effectiveness of Arty.
Keep in touch and I hope you're still an NT'er when you get Full Bird or beyond haha.[/COLOR]

So far I'm just getting into fire support and manual gunnery, the even more confusing material is still coming. No lie, they gave me at least 15 Technical and Field Manuals course. It does suck a little that my branch has been tasked with more of an Infantry mission and only certain units get to actually put rounds down range. I may and try to do some "Special" things in the next 3-4 years too. Plus I'm going to be an NT'er for a while so don't have to worry about that.

Thank you HARM for the links..There are a couple FFL dealers within 15 minutes of my house that I didn't even know about..NT to the rescue again..:smokin

Thank you HARM for the links..There are a couple FFL dealers within 15 minutes of my house that I didn't even know about..NT to the rescue again..:smokin

No problem man .. just make sure you call ahead and double check .. cuz , I don't think they update their database regularly .. esp if its not a Gun store ..

Most times their fees are like 50-60 dollars for the transfer ( extra of you have get a spent shell casing sent to the state troopers like in MD :smh: )

Last edited:
Found this cat on Youtube , Very well versed in guns and actually funny as hell

Last edited:
My Colt Law Enforcement 6933 SBR just came in at my local dealer. Its sweet. In about 6-8 months with ATF approval I can take her home!

am i the only one here who aint never shot a gun before? i want to go to a range and try out a few. i also wanna go hunting and shoot a deer in the butt

My Colt Law Enforcement 6933 SBR just came in at my local dealer. Its sweet. In about 6-8 months with ATF approval I can take her home!

[COLOR=#red]:smokin Nice!! Before the whole rail craze this is what solidly built and reliable carbines resembled. To be honest I prefer them this way. Nothing like shooting with irons. I'm actually more accurate in medium range distances with irons.

Where I used to live in Northern VA there is a shop called Sharpshooters (Cotite's shop) that will let you shoot your NFA items at their range while waiting for the ATF process to go finish. Basically you could shoot your weapon as much as you want...you just couldn't take it home until the paperwork goes through. What an awesome idea.[/COLOR]

So far I'm just getting into fire support and manual gunnery, the even more confusing material is still coming. No lie, they gave me at least 15 Technical and Field Manuals course. It does suck a little that my branch has been tasked with more of an Infantry mission and only certain units get to actually put rounds down range. I may and try to do some "Special" things in the next 3-4 years too. Plus I'm going to be an NT'er for a while so don't have to worry about that.
[COLOR=#red]

That's what is up Sir. Exciting times are ahead. On a side note I am not deploying after all. At the last minute I pulled out...I just didn't trust the company I was going out for and I couldn't get over not having a weapon ESPECIALLY since I was going to be in constant contact with the Afghan Army. Those mofos have been turning on us lately and I'm nobodies sitting duck. As a matter of fact I'm "retiring" from the "game"...I did my part and it's time for me to move on and enjoy my family. After working as a fed I just can't get with these contracting companies...I'm spoiled dude. Sucks though...cause there went the funding for my 3-Gun rifle setup. Oh well hahaha.
[/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom