Obama administration looking for broader power to seize firms

Fede DPT wrote:
I agree.

I see patients for sprained ankles and they come to me "Well, the doctor wants an X-Ray and MRI, just to make sure.", doctors do this for 2 reasons. 1) Yes, it is a easy to make money (especially if it already on campus) 2) They do it to cover their butt against malpractice.

That's a great example.

The malpractice thing could be fixed with the appropriate legislation - it would be difficult but would make a huge amount of difference to the cost of thecare.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Originally Posted by kdawg

Gov't dictates the type of care you get. You take away the expertise right out of the hands of the physicians and they base the treatment upon what is "more cost efficient" rather than "best quality". Universal Care is so flawed and only one side gets put out there.

I don't see how that's worse than having a business make money by selling you healthcare - I don't think they're doing it out of a sense of magnanimity.

The funny thing that American medicine has produced is that a lot of the population think that every examination should involve running a battery of expensive tests then analysing the data - that's not good medicine. The best medicine involves highly trained doctors making decisions on what is best for you - not what they can afford or are allowed to do.

Sure there are times when treatments can't be made available - new experimental stuff mostly - but I don't see how that is any worse than your insurance company deciding they won't pay for a particular treatment because some bureaucrat has been told not to authorise those claims as they are expensive.

I agree.

I see patients for sprained ankles and they come to me "Well, the doctor wants an X-Ray and MRI, just to make sure.", doctors do this for 2 reasons. 1) Yes, it is a easy to make money (especially if it already on campus) 2) They do it to cover their butt against malpractice.

Herein lies what I believe to be the health care system's biggest problem.

I spend a lot of time in the pediatric cardiology clinic here. Sure, I get to see many patients who have congenital heart defects and have been receiving carefor years. But if I had to guess, more than half of the patients are newborns and young children who are referred to the clinic by their pediatrician whothinks they may have heard something or think a certain problem may be heartrelated. So the patient comes to the clinic, gets an ECG, an echo, and sometimes a Holter monitor. I can't remember one time when something was actuallywrong with a patient like this. But the referring pediatrician sends them to the clinic because they have to cover themselves. You have thousands of dollars"wasted" each visit because of fear of malpractice.

The problem in this country is that WE demand the best health care available. Well you know what? It's damn expensive, and rarely cost effective. Some 90%or so of our health care costs over the course of our life are spent during the last few months. At some point I really believe you have to put a price on alife. Yeah, that sounds terrible. But it's more beneficial to the system as a whole. Ask yourself, is it worth $100,000 to live another month?

Politics and religion have no place on nt, even if this is the general forum. I swear I read the dumbest +%%+ in these threads and it only solidifies how manypeople really don't know +%%+.

The problem in this country is that WE demand the best health care available. Well you know what? It's damn expensive, and rarely cost effective. Some 90% or so of our health care costs over the course of our life are spent during the last few months. At some point I really believe you have to put a price on a life. Yeah, that sounds terrible. But it's more beneficial to the system as a whole. Ask yourself, is it worth $100,000 to live another month?

That's true.

In the UK the trend over the last 10 years or so hasn't been to do everything to preserve life - but to try and measure 'quality of life years'.The treatment given is often the one which gives people a good quality of life for a slightly shorter period - rather than just prolonging life as long aspossible.

It's not done to save money though - just because it's generally thought it's better for people.

you guys act like obama striaght walked in on 8 years of great economy and now has it all messed up.
you ******s probally voted bush 04.

i mean this may or may not be a good thing, but atleast hes trying.
why should an exec get a 9 mil bonus while your neighbors are living out of a van?
why should a company be able to fudge the books, tell u its all good, then have all the ceos pull out while
john workaday loses his retirement?

90% of u guys are broke anyways. this has pretty much nothing to do with you.
you gonna go write your senator?
no. youre gonna insult people on niketalk then go cop some eggplant foams and drink a zima.

get outta here.

he's trying. you act like he was sposed to get in the office and start sockin ceo's and banks in the mouth.

Originally Posted by JDB1523

^Politicians deciding how much people should earn is brilliant. Politicians are not economists, and they're sure as hell not doctors. Let the markets determine payscale, not some bureaucracy based upon lies.
Thank you. this entire administration wants to control things like bonuses and earnings on one hand while bailing them out with the other.

Originally Posted by BobbyBrownpacks

you guys act like obama striaght walked in on 8 years of great economy and now has it all messed up.

why should an exec get a 9 mil bonus while your neighbors are living out of a van?
why should a company be able to fudge the books, tell u its all good, then have all the ceos pull out while

no. youre gonna insult people on niketalk then go cop some eggplant foams and drink a zima.

get outta here.

he's trying. you act like he was sposed to get in the office and start sockin ceo's and banks in the mouth.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]"At least he's trying"[/color]

roll.gif
indifferent.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]How could you say "you're gonna insult people on niketalk" yet comewith a post calling people "******s" and saying $%+$ like "90% of you are broke anyways"?[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Are you not part of that very group?[/color]
eyes.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Edit: Btw, Obama FTL[/color]

get outta here.

i think you severely misinterpreted the reason for our resentment

Free enterprise.

I Watched The Obama Deception Yesterday, And If What Dude Is Sayin Is True, Then This "Country" Is About To Be Very Effed Up...

Of course Genther(sp) wants more power. Obama has been saying ever since his inarguration that big gov't is the way to go. If you like it or not.

And I see him getting this power, why? Because we don't live under the law of the land, The Constitution. We live under another set of rules, the UCCcodes. Look them up fellas. Every Constitution teacher will tell you this. Its just a gov't within our gov't.
Well, nevermind about my rant.
Obama is the President of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA CORP. and not the President of the United States of America.
We all need to step our law game up folks.

Originally Posted by theymademepick

Free enterprise.
Exactly. Why should Alex Rodriguez make $25M a year? Why should Jim Calhoun make the most of an CT state employee?

Life isn't fair. But at least we have control over it to an extent. I don't want to see that control vanish over some $#!*@$%+ bailout mess.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I am pretty reserved on this as well but SOMETHING needs to be done with these irresponsible, greedy CEO's and corporations.

That something is not giving them tax payer dollars.

get outta here.

http://www.erichufschmid.net/Dumb-down/super-******.JPG

Edit:

COPPED!
roll.gif
eek.gif
smh.gif

f2lgk9.jpg

Originally Posted by theymademepick

Originally Posted by JDB1523

^Politicians deciding how much people should earn is brilliant. Politicians are not economists, and they're sure as hell not doctors. Let the markets determine payscale, not some bureaucracy based upon lies.
Thank you. this entire administration wants to control things like bonuses and earnings on one hand while bailing them out with the other.
ohwell.gif

i may be the only one who doesn't see anything wrong with this. as long as companies feel that they need the use of taxpayers dollars to remain solvent,then yes their should be rules governing salary. when you take taxpayers dollars you are no longer a traditional free market company. This creates a compellingincentive for these companies to right there ship, get from under government control and be able to pay themselves what they feel they deserve. if youdon't like it, fine, build a profitable business and be out.

I'm glad everyone who voted feels sick... When I criticized him and told people it didn't matter who the president was, I was told that I was theantichrist. Obama can't even get AIG money back... What a joke

Follow the money

What maybe pisses me off more than anything about this is the fact that the Democrats will blindly support anything he puts forward. Regulating the economy?Sure, why not. Controlling health care? Sure, why not. Since these people are in office they consider themselves the elites, and giving themselves more power(big gov't) is just another day in the office. The fact of the matter is that big bureaucracies and governments have NEVER worked and never will,especially when it comes to government intervention in the economy and limiting people's wages and investments. Call me crazy, but I thought this countrywas built upon low taxes and a free and privatized marketplace.

Actually, most Dems I know are already a little shaky on what is going on. Sad, I really thought he could do something good, and maybe he still will but I putthe economy before every other issue, so it is getting tough to believe for me personally.

This creates a compelling incentive for these companies to right there ship,
No, when it is THEIR OWN MONEY invested in a company, then they have incentive to "right the ship". AIG has been bailed out 3 times,I'm sure they figure another one is coming, why not? They are still "too large to fail". Just think of your life. I'm sure you value yourmoney much more when you earn it, work for it, and sacrafice for it, as opposed to if you had rich parents which just give you money all the time. When YOUare invested, then you value it much more. When it is given, who cares. Hell, with AIG, I don't know why people are surprised. AIG was careless when itWAS their money. Why the hell did the government think they would stop being careless when they were just given money?! I wonder if we will ever see a goodcandidate again. With our current two party system, I doubt it.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by dmxfury

I wonder if we will ever see a good candidate again. With our current two party system, I doubt it.
frown.gif
These two statements are very questionable. It's hard to see that there is in fact TWO parties... And we haven't had a REAL good presidentsince he was assassinated...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

No doubt.

Dont get me wrong, I'm still a Conservative, but I wont support any of these clowns anymore. Both parties haven't even attempted to govern by the Constitution. Always "Left" or "Right", Republican or Democrat, it's SO MUCH bigger than that, it's a %*#%@%+ shame.

Imposing taxes on bonuses is Unconstitutional, while we are at it, Federal Income Taxes is Unconstitutional as well. As well as the Fed Reserve.

Congress is calling for private citizens (AIG execs) income to be made public, which is against the law.

Ridiculous, it's a %*#%@%+ shame.
The Constitution is an old document that needed to be amended many many times. I'm not a constitutional law expert, so what is it about the Federal income taxes and taxes on bonuses that make it unconstitutional?

I'll admit, I don't hold the Constitution in high regard because it was originally written to exclude certain people.

Top executives are already required by the SEC to disclose their compensation. Making all the names of everyone who took bonuses should be illegal, however executives that normally publicize their compensation should disclose exactly how much compensation came from bonuses.
I'm not a constitution lawyer either, but look up Article 1 Section 10 and the Federalist Papers 9, 10. While the late Federalist Paperswe're against the Bill of Rights, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights should be held in high regards because it protects our civil liberties.

Back
Top Bottom