OfficiaL '16 NYK offseason thread, Melo goes to bodega in bathrobe and Olympic hat

In the past few months, Who's been your favorite Melo? Multiple choice

• A. Olympic Melo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Civil Rights Activist Melo

• C. Brazilian hood Melo

• D. Ninja Turtle movie star Melo

• E. Old man annoyed by kids Melo

• F. Yankee/Mets fan Melo

• G. Met Gala Fashion show Melo

• Total voters
I think O.J. Mayo would be an interesting option. Still under 30 and like someone mentioned he may not cost us a whole lot.

I like Jerryd Bayless for an off the bench punch.

Aaron Brooks would also fill the back up pg role well.

Also love the idea of Crawford finishing his career with us. He still plays really fluidly and as a scoring option off the bench he's still one the best.

Mario Chalmers is another guy I like. He can hit the 3 and plays great defense. Never heard of any connection or interest tho.

Courtney Lee is a good option at the 2, good experience and a tough gritty player that would mesh well with the Noah effect.

Always liked Gerald Green, very inconsistent, but his ability is elite. Very JR Smithish to me. :nerd:

Gerald Henderson, if he isn't look for a lot of money, would be a solid starting 2, our backcourt just wouldn't hit a three.

Give me any of those guys and I can't complain.

He's a restricted FA, so probably not.

Haven't even heard his name associated with us outside of this thread.

He'd be a great pick up for us tho. Young athletic and can hit the 3. I'm sure Portland is looking to lock him up.

how much money do we have to play with?

KOQ is still on the roster too. Great trade bait with the amount of money being thrown around.

Last edited:
I think he just didn't like Kyrie lol. Either way i dont think the risk is worth the reward in his case.

Im willing to roll the dice on "Born Ready"

I like Crabbe, bc he's a prototypical 3 and D guy who has shown flashes of having really good scoring skills besides just jump shooting, but if Noah takes up 18M of cap space (which is just a rumor), idk if we can afford him. I figure his contract would be pegged similarly to what Shumpert (4/40) and Danny Green (4/45) got last year, but the only reason I thought the Knicks might have a better chance is that I don't see the Blazers paying up for him given that Mccollum is their starter.

If Noah is coming, which I'm excited about, just scared about his health, we should just get a few backcourt guys on shorter, lower cost deals, like OJ Mayo, Lance Stephenson so we have some flexibility going forward. We need depth too as opposed to maybe just one plus starter. I don't think we can afford to get Bazemore/Crabbe, all of whom are probably looking at trying to get ~10+ with this new salary cap. I was a fan of Lance Thomas so I hope we bring him back at the right px. I don't know about Gallo tho.

Last edited:
why not go big and reunite the Gator boys: Noah and Horford

being able to interchange Noah/Horford/KP on the block is huge. Melo and Rose up top with A.Rivers/Barboza at the 2.

rings

Joakim-Noah-Claps-at-Chris-Bosh-and-Mario-Chalmers.gif
854832927.gif
born ready and Noah on the same team ? Trolling will be world class

I don't know what is, maybe it's me, but IMHO Lance had a good stretch with the Pacers, and never been the same since. Let's just save ourselves the headache and do what most teams have done and just move forward without him.

how much money do we have to play with?

KOQ is still on the roster too. Great trade bait with the amount of money being thrown around.
I think with signing Noah, KOQ now has to go. Having a roster with Melo, KP, Noah, and Lance makes his ability to find playing time scarce and thats without accounting for what Hernangomez could bring and that extra $4 mil is way too valuable right now.

If we shed his contract that extra money could then go to offering Bazemore/Crabbe up to $16 or getting us Lee & Crawford with that money instead of settling for just Lee at around $10 mil. We could realistically field a team of:

PG: Rose/ Galloway

SG: Lee/ Crawford

SF: Melo/ Lance

PF: KP

C: Noah/ Willy 

Ceiling: 55-60 wins

Floor: 45-48 wins

or

SG: Bazemore or Crabbe/ Holliday

Ceiling: 50-56 wins

Floor: 42/43 wins

or

SG: Lee/ Holliday

PF: KP/ KOQ

Ceiling: 48-52 wins

Floor: 38-40 wins

I'd definitely prefer either of the first 2 scenarios compared to keep KOQ for the 8-10 min he'd be able to get with that lineup. And obviously I'm just giving an arbitrary opinion with those win estimates and those ceiling numbers are very optimistic, assuming everything goes right, and the floor being if Rose & Noah struggle and/or are injured

I think with signing Noah, KOQ now has to go. Having a roster with Melo, KP, Noah, and Lance makes his ability to find playing time scarce and thats without accounting for what Hernangomez could bring and that extra $4 mil is way too valuable right now.

If we shed his contract that extra money could then go to offering Bazemore/Crabbe up to $16 or getting us Lee & Crawford with that money instead of settling for just Lee at around $10 mil. We could realistically field a team of:

SG: Lee/ Crawford

Ceiling: 55-60 wins
Floor: 45-48 wins

or

SG: Bazemore or Crabbe/ Holliday

Ceiling: 50-56 wins
Floor: 42/43 wins

or

SG: Lee/ Holliday
 PF: KP/ KOQ

Ceiling: 48-52 wins
Floor: 38-40 wins

I'd definitely prefer either of the first 2 scenarios compared to keep KOQ for the 8-10 min he'd be able to get with that lineup. And obviously I'm just giving an arbitrary opinion with those win estimates and those ceiling numbers are very optimistic, assuming everything goes right, and the floor being if Rose & Noah struggle and/or are injured
or

Rose
Vet
KD
Melo
KP

Ceiling ring
Floor EFC

I guess since Melo didn't go to the bulls they brought the bulls to Melo. :rofl: Jimmy Butler next? (I still have a hard time liking anything Bulls related, I'm scarred, but always liked Noah)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom