OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Keep fixing my posts and I'll start the "D-12 to NJ" sig movement you geezer
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

I might be reading or overthinking this a little bit too much into this..... But does this at all show/mean that Lebron everyone just wants to be liked and does in fact care about image
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

Who here is an OKC Thunder Fan???

Question:
Any possibility that your owner, Clay Bennett, will find a way to reach into his ice chest of a heart and realize that Anaheim is not ideal for the Kings? 

Sidenote:

What a slap in the face to Sonics fans
30t6p3b.gif
how the hell does this guy get picked to head the Relocation Committee
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Who would get emotional about having the most replica likenesses of their jersey sold...?

laugh.gif
A narcissistic superstar that was once the Golden Boy of the league prior to his fall from grace..

I think it's inevitable #6 will get A ring. But he's banking on getting not 1 not 2 not 3 not 4 . . . .rings, and thats not gonna happen with the way that team is constructed. With that said, us here in Cleveland wouldn't really care unless he wins one this year, and thats unlikely, soooooooooooooo no mass sweat lodge session at the Q
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Who would get emotional about having the most replica likenesses of their jersey sold...?

laugh.gif
A narcissistic superstar that was once the Golden Boy of the league prior to his fall from grace..

^ ding.ding.ding

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

Who here is an OKC Thunder Fan???

Question:
Any possibility that your owner, Clay Bennett, will find a way to reach into his ice chest of a heart and realize that Anaheim is not ideal for the Kings? 

Sidenote:

What a slap in the face to Sonics fans
30t6p3b.gif
how the hell does this guy get picked to head the Relocation Committee
laugh.gif

only way i see the trade getting held up is if all of the owners don't support it because it could potential hurt 2 other teams in that market by over-saturating it..

doubt the maloofs would be willing to sell to that 1 guy who is on the table from sacramento..

and i think it's disingenuous of the league to put the guy who lied to them about relocation in charge of the whole thing

^ Yup.

If you play a team with a where the PG is one of the more talented players on the team like Chicago, Boston, or even Philadelphia, you go with Mario Chalmers.
If you play a team where the PG isn't really a focal point like Orlando, Atlanta, New York and Indiana, you go with Mike Bibby.

Originally Posted by JPZx

^ Yup.

If you play a team with a where the PG is one of the more talented players on the team like Chicago, Boston, or even Philadelphia, you go with Mario Chalmers.
If you play a team where the PG isn't really a focal point like Orlando, Atlanta, New York and Indiana, you go with Mike Bibby.
or a team with a weaker SG where bibby doesnt really have to commit to and wade can guard the PG

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

Probably the same folk who were with them down here last summer. Juice, Jrue, KD, brandon rush, Brandon Jennings, tyreke evans, etc.
Wait, all of these guys played with Rose, Russ, and Love over the summer?? Damn... they pretty much all had inconsistent or disappointing seasons. They should all off themselves.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Im Not You

You know he's the youngest player in the league right?
Oh, fo' sho'. But at one time, so was LBJ, so was T-Mac, KG, etc...

On a lesser level, Anthony Randolph & Andrew Bynum were also among the youngest players too.

All I'm saying is that I haven't really seen much in Favors to expect him to develop into anything more than a decent role player off the bench.

Imight be reading or overthinking this a little bit too much intothis..... But does this at all show/mean that Lebron just wants to beliked and does in fact care about his image
nerd.gif
To his credit, LBJ admitted as much on PTI today. He was asked point-blank if the initial back-lash hurt him and he said "yeah, it did at first".

But as Hank said, damn near EVERY superstar wants to be "liked".

^I said everyone, period.

Yes, he's LeBron James. I get what that means but still...

Guarantee the dude gets a lot of tweets every day calling him a n_ or disparaging his mom. I can only imagine what type of hate mail Cleveland has produced. He's done a lot to make people not like him but I think any rational human being emphathizes with the inordinate amount of backlash this dude has received. I totally understand his emotions over jersey sales.

[h1]NBA labor: Don't believe the hype[/h1]
NEW YORK -- If you listened closely enough to Commissioner David Stern's deputy Friday at the NBA Board of Governors meeting, you got a clearer picture of the likelihood of a work stoppage this summer.

And if you thought a lockout was a certainty, you may want to reconsider.

"It doesn't take that long to make a deal. It's a question of whether there will be movement," deputy commissioner Adam Silver said.

And movement is coming, Stern said in announcing that NBA owners had authorized the labor relations committee to make a new formal proposal to the players' union within the next couple of weeks.

Now, understand that formal proposals are not always as important as the informal proposals that are discussed when Stern, Silver and player's union chief Billy Hunter hold their regular meetings, with have been ongoing.

But formal proposals move the needle, and this will be the first one the owners have given the players since late January, 2009 -- a period of nearly 16 months.

"Certainly there's plenty of time, roughly 75 days before the conclusion of this deal, to strike a deal," Silver said. "The question is whether there will be movement by the parties between now and then, and we'll see."

It is now clear that the owners are seeking a recalculation of the formula used to calculate the percentage of revenues that go toward player salaries. Currently, the players are guaranteed 57 percent of gross revenues (also known as Basketball Related Income, or BRI), and the owners are left with the other 43 percent to cover their expenses and try to turn a profit.

It is a system that has not been working for the owners, as 22 teams are projected to lose money in the 2010-11 season and only eight are expected to be profitable, Stern said. The owners' annual losses (which the union disputes, claiming half of the purported losses come from interest payments and depreciation) have gone from $370 million in 2008-09 to $340 million in 2009-10 to an estimated $300 million in the current season.

"As we've said before, if players are taking 57 percent of the gross, it's mathematically impossible to move to a profitable position without a new system having a major impact on player salaries," Silver said.

So the question then becomes, what kind of a new system would reduce owners losses and leave current salaries intact?

The answer: A system in which the players absorb some of the operating expenses, gradually if need be, to get the new system ratified when the players vote on it.

In the owners' first formal proposal, the one made back in 2009, they asked for an $800 million reduction in player salaries. Silver would not characterize how much movement the owners will be making in their next proposal, only saying that the league is seeking a system in which all 30 teams have a chance to compete for a championship and make a profit.

But they don't need an $800 million reduction in player salaries to achieve that goal, so as we look toward the end game of this negotiation, we have to start wondering how much of that $800 million the owners will settle for as an alternative to shutting down the league. $200 million? $300 million? Something in between?

And let's be perfectly clear on something, when attendance is up for the seventh consecutive season, when television ratings are up 38 percent on ABC, 28 percent on ESPN and 42 percent on TNT, when video views on NBA.com are up 140 percent from a year ago, when global merchandise sales are up 20 percent in the past 12 months, there can be no question that business is booming.

And we are all supposed to believe they are ready to take out the dynamite and blow that up?

Sorry. It just doesn't pass the smell test.

That is not to say that there are not fundamental financial problems that need to be addressed. Annual losses of hundreds of millions of dollars don't cut it as a successful business model, but there is a middle ground here that everyone should be seeing.

If the players agree to absorb the cost of some of the expenses, their share of revenue is going to drop, but they'll still want a 57 percent or larger share of the newly calculated pool of money.

But before the players agree to absorb some of the expenses, they want to see some of the larger market owners share more of their local TV revenue with the smaller market owners who receive only a fraction of that money from their local TV deals.

When this thing gets settled, look for that BRI recalculation and enhanced local TV revenue sharing to be major parts of the new labor deal. Other factors such as age limits, rookie scales, lengths of contracts, etcetera, are secondary.

It's about the pool of money, redefining how to calculate the pool of money and then splitting it up.

"We're not looking at the same system. We're looking at changing the definition of what is now BRI to become more of a net system where certain expenses are reduced before we begin sharing with the players," Silver said.

In other words, the NBA wants what the NFL had in its last agreement -- something commonly known in sports labor circles as a cap credit. Under that old NFL formula, $1 billion in expenses was deducted from total revenues, and the sides split up the rest.

"They have been receptive to the deduction of certain expenses, but they have not been receptive to substantial changes to the system, which we're seeking," Silver said.

But if the players are open to paying some of the freight in terms of operating expenses, that in and of itself is a substantial change.

And from that, we can only extrapolate that they are making progress, albeit at a glacial pace.

As Silver said, once they agree to the big-picture parameters (i.e. the splitting up of the money, and the formula for determining the composition of that money pool), the deal can be completed in a matter of hours. And that right there is your 11th hour settlement scenario.

Both sides can see where the middle ground lies in all this, which is why we will leave you with these cautionary words:

When someone says a lockout is a certainty, don't believe the hype.

Eventually, they are going to settle.

With their business booming in a bust economy, it serves everyone to achieve a settlement without going through a work stoppage first. At the end of the day, these guys are too smart to do something so stupid.

By Chris Sheridan

Originally Posted by NobleKane

what you guys think of a dwight howard for chris bosh swap?
I think it'd a goddamn idiotic question.

No.

Magic say no a million times out of a million.

THAT, would be a straight monopoly on the NBA.

There's very few players that any the Magic should even consider.

Short list off the top of my head: Rose, Durant, CP3 MAYBE, Wade, Carmelo, and Deron, maybe.

I don't know, I wouldn't even touch it. Try and get some pieces around Dwight. Get the Kobe to his Shaq.

Back
Top Bottom