Official 2012 Boxing Thread: JMM/Manny IV - FOTY.

The Bradley vs Alexander fight happened PRIOR to him fighting Pacquiao. He is immediately a bigger name after last night. Whether or not Bradley becomes a superstar in the long run is not that relevant. He can parlay this into a Pacquiao rematch, and after that possibly a fight against Brandon Rios who is also on Top Rank. Even though neither Bradley or Rios are top superstars. It would be foolish to not see that this fight will generate cash especially on Cinco De Mayo. And if you throw in the Welterweights with other promoters, there's even more possibilities, but we all know Arum likes to keep it in-house.

Arum didn't necessarily kill his cash cow Manny Pacquiao. He spared him for his last fight, if the rumors are true.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

From Duane Ford, one of the judges who scored it for Bonk:

tired.gif

Whatever makes him sleep at night.  He and CJ Ross sold their self-respect for a couple of dollars.  Bradley's punches were not landing flush and were not doing any damage.  And in most of those exchanges, Pacquiao would catch him with his left and back him up.  Bradley clearly lost the fight, you could even see it in his wife's face.  Come on now, she was ready to cry because she knew he lost...

All 3 judges were in, even the one who scored it in favor of Pacquiao. He had to make it close to not make the other 2 judges look as lopsided.

Yeah, I was thinking that, but I, foolishly, gave him the benefit of the doubt since some people think the fight was closer than it seemed and/or influenced by the HBO commentators.

If any saw it, there was a pretty good segment on ESPN by Jeremy Schaap about this match.  The best quote from it, "You can blame Pacquiao for putting the result in the judges' hands.  You can blame the Nevada Commission for putting the result in the hands of these judges.  Or we can just all agree that boxing doesn't deserve our attention anymore."  Not gonna order, or go out of my way to watch, the fight on November 10th.  I really hope Pac rejects the rematch, take the L and move on...

Whatever makes him sleep at night.  He and CJ Ross sold their self-respect for a couple of dollars.  Bradley's punches were not landing flush and were not doing any damage.  And in most of those exchanges, Pacquiao would catch him with his left and back him up.  Bradley clearly lost the fight, you could even see it in his wife's face.  Come on now, she was ready to cry because she knew he lost...

All 3 judges were in, even the one who scored it in favor of Pacquiao. He had to make it close to not make the other 2 judges look as lopsided.

Yeah, I was thinking that, but I, foolishly, gave him the benefit of the doubt since some people think the fight was closer than it seemed and/or influenced by the HBO commentators.

If any saw it, there was a pretty good segment on ESPN by Jeremy Schaap about this match.  The best quote from it, "You can blame Pacquiao for putting the result in the judges' hands.  You can blame the Nevada Commission for putting the result in the hands of these judges.  Or we can just all agree that boxing doesn't deserve our attention anymore."  Not gonna order, or go out of my way to watch, the fight on November 10th.  I really hope Pac rejects the rematch, take the L and move on...
I'd like to know the exact terms of his contract. Does he have to take the rematch? Does he have 1 more fight he owes Top Rank? Or can he just wait until his contract is up and just bounce? If that's the case he needs to do that and just make the Big Fight happen. This L on his record did not tarnish the intrigue with Mayweather vs Pacquiao.

I'd like to know the exact terms of his contract. Does he have to take the rematch? Does he have 1 more fight he owes Top Rank? Or can he just wait until his contract is up and just bounce? If that's the case he needs to do that and just make the Big Fight happen. This L on his record did not tarnish the intrigue with Mayweather vs Pacquiao.

Arum said it's up to Pacquiao to decide if he wants the rematch, but it's Arum, so you have to take that with a grain of salt.  As for the length of his contract, I read on sbnation that it just extends through 2012 and ends in 2013.  Kinda makes sense that it's based on length rather than number of fights because of the November fight date.  I would imagine if he had one more fight left they might have given him more time for the rematch.  Then again, I don't know anything about boxing contracts, so your guess is better than mine.

From sbnation:
The generally understood situation with Manny's contract is that it was redone to extend through all of 2012 and will expire in 2013. So the idea that Arum, feeling he might be on the verge of losing Pacquiao, influenced the judges to score for Bradley, thus raising Bradley's value while hurting Pacquiao's, has a little bit more meat to it than most "the fix was in!" theories.

Why WOULDN'T a boxing fan want a rematch? They kept exchanging blows the whole fight, Neither of them was hurt once.. Keep in mind Bradley twisted his ankle early in the rounds.
I don't care what anyone says that was a close fight.. my score was 115-113 pacquiao.

I wan't to see a rematch.

Originally Posted by Tony Montana

Why WOULDN'T a boxing fan want a rematch? They kept exchanging blows the whole fight, Neither of them was hurt once.. Keep in mind Bradley twisted his ankle early in the rounds.
I don't care what anyone says that was a close fight.. my score was 115-113 pacquiao.

I wan't to see a rematch.
I have 0 interest in a rematch.

Bradley at no point in the fight looked threatening.  His punches lacked any power to hurt Manny.  Manny rocked him is the forth and didn't capitalize.  It was blatantly obvious Manny is the better fighter.  Why would I want to watch the same fight twice....especially knowing there is a chance they judges will mess up the decision.

No thanks

Edit:  Read through some comments.  How are people saying Manny lost a step and isn't the same.  I agree he lacks the killer instinct but he let Margarito cruise at the end of their fight too.  He just (in my eyes
laugh.gif
) handily beat an undefeated fighter in his prime.  Manny from round 1-9 basically showed why he should still be considered top 2 p4p fighter.  Bradley is a good fighter....in his prime...who was in incredible shape and is an excellent fighter.  He ate the straight left and was staggered on more then one occasion.  How are you going to say manny is washed up and this is it for him....give Bradley some credit here

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

tony Montana, I dont think it was a blowout either.
But you'd agree Bradley didn't win, right?  Even with Manny looking like that decline hit him hard, I couldn't give Bradley more than 3 rounds after re-watching it.  The rematch does nothing for me.  If Manny couldn't put the pedal on the gas against a guy with a torn ligament in one ankle and a sprain in the other this time around, I personally don't think the fight will look any different next time.

A big loser here is JMM.  Where does he go now in November if the rematch is made?  No one wants to see Rios, Alvarado isn't going to get him a big payday and neither would Gesta (?).

Plenty of people want to see Rios. one bad fight isn't changing that, but Im sure Marquez thinks he cant beat a young undefeated rios on the cards. watch the next  herrera fight
Too soon  for Rigondeoux vs Donaire?

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Plenty of people want to see Rios. one bad fight isn't changing that, but Im sure Marquez thinks he cant beat a young undefeated rios on the cards. watch the next  herrera fight
Too soon  for Rigondeoux vs Donaire?

Yup 2 fights later, no one will remember the mishap with Rios in his last fight.
laugh.gif

Really? I thought the whole outrage over his last fight is the whole reason Arum didn't make the fight. Fans were completely turned off from Rios after that.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Really? I thought the whole outrage over his last fight is the whole reason Arum didn't make the fight. Fans were completely turned off from Rios after that.

Sooner or later it won't matter. The boxing world as a whole has amnesia, refer to the first Bute vs Andrade fight, Mayweather vs Castillo, Dawson vs Johnson, Alexander vs Koltelnik, etc. Yes some of those questionable wins were avenged, and still brought up every once in a while. But they're hardly in the back of people's minds.

Yea sooner or later but not the same damn year. That fight will be fresh in the minds of fans until Rios does something to erase it.

Yea sooner or later but not the same damn year. That fight will be fresh in the minds of fans until Rios does something to erase it.
Yeah that's why I said after he wins 2 fights convincingly and around that time, expect him to move up to 147. By then it will be obvious who Top Rank wants to put him against.
nerd.gif

Yeah that's why I said after he wins 2 fights convincingly and around that time, expect him to move up to 147. By then it will be obvious who Top Rank wants to put him against.
nerd.gif

Ah, that's my bad I didn't see that post.  I could see that 147 move coming as well.  It's not right but say he does fight JMM at 140, who else is left?  Outside of Alvarado and Zab, all of those top guys are GBP.

nerd.gif

Ah, that's my bad I didn't see that post.  I could see that 147 move coming as well.  It's not right but say he does fight JMM at 140, who else is left?  Outside of Alvarado and Zab, all of those top guys are GBP.

*cough* Desert *cough* Storm. Bob Arum will make a trilogy out of that one. Ideally, Arum would want Rios to beat Marquez then fight Bradley. But I don't think Marquez will accept that fight.  Arum was trying to build Mike Jones into a formidable opponent, but that didn't work. He does have a few welterweights in his stable, but they aren't even recognizable names. Speaking of which, I'm not a big fan, but for some reason I have an itch to see Berto fight again.
ohwell.gif

[table][tr][td][h1]Mayweather seeks to serve jail sentence under house arrest[/h1]
By Francis McCabe
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Posted: Jun. 11, 2012 | 8:44 p.m.

Twelve days into his three-month jail sentence on a domestic battery count, undefeated champion boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. is asking to go home.

Or he contends he may never fight again.

An emergency motion obtained by the Las Vegas Review-Journal shows Mayweather's lawyers will ask Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa as early as today that the former Olympic bronze medal winner be allowed to serve the remainder of his sentence on house arrest.

The 35-year-old's physical conditioning is deteriorating under the stress of being jailed at the Clark County Detention Center, and he is being held in "inhumane conditions," lawyer Richard Wright said in the motion filed Monday.

The boxer is being segregated from the general population and confined to his cell 23 hours a day in a locked-down section populated by felony defendants, Wright said. And in the hour each day Mayweather is allowed in a recreation area, he is alone and unable to use training facilities.

Wright stated that others who have committed similar misdemeanor offenses are treated differently and Mayweather's celebrity status "cannot be accommodated at the CCDC."

Prosecutors are expected to oppose the motion. Jail officials were not available for comment late Monday.

Mayweather was sentenced to the 90-day jail stint after pleading guilty for beating his ex-girlfriend in front of their children in September 2010. He began serving his sentence June 1. Las Vegas police have maintained that Mayweather would be held in isolation to protect him from other prisoners.

The 35-page motion, which included affidavits from Mayweather's co-manager, Leonard Ellerbe, and personal physician Dr. Robert Voy, stated that if Mayweather remained in jail, it would threaten his career. He had planned on fighting for at least two more years, according to the motion.

Voy, through a court order, examined the boxer for 90 minutes on Friday, while jail medical staff observed.

"Medical opinion shows that CCDC administrative segregation threatens to end or shorten Mr. Mayweather's boxing career," the motion said.

Voy determined Mayweather is consuming less than 800 calories a day. He is eating fruit, bread and energy bars bought at the commissary. Under his normal daily training routine the boxer consumes between 3,000 and 4,000 calories.

Voy also investigated Mayweather's ability to exercise. He found Mayweather has no room to exercise in jail, and he is not allowed to use the training areas because he is in isolation.

"After examining Mr. Mayweather, Dr. Voy was concerned with Mr. Mayweather's dehydrated appearance, his lack of muscle tone and his dry mucus membranes," the motion said.

Voy also "expressed deep concern for Mr. Mayweather's health and explained that any lengthy period of time with an inappropriate diet, coupled with lack of regular exercise, will most likely lead to irreversible damage to Mr. Mayweather's physique," the motion said.

"Such damage could and, most likely, would lead to Mr. Mayweather being unable to continue his boxing career," the motion said.

Voy was concerned that Mayweather was withdrawing into depression and developing anger issues that he normally can "dissipate" through his exercise routine.

Wright identified several differences between the way Mayweather is treated versus those in general population.

Mayweather is allowed access to shower, watch TV, use hot water to prepare food, use phones and exercise for an hour a day. Other inmates have access to phones and TV, can play games with other inmates and are out of their cells "for most of the day."

Inside his cell, Mayweather doesn't have access to hot water to prepare food for himself or clean himself, and he was recently told he cannot receive bottled water because he is in isolation.

According to the motion, Mayweather has not been a problem inmate and has treated jail staff with respect. Still, "he (Mayweather) believes he is treated in a very unfair and inhumane way," Voy said in the motion.

In Ellerbe's affidavit, the trainer attested to Mayweather's vigorous training regimen. Ellerbe said he has to "force him to leave the gym each day." And it is this dedication to training that has allowed Mayweather to remain undefeated, Ellerbe said.

"Whether Mr. Mayweather will be able to box again is dependent on his continued conditioning," the motion said.

Wright added in the motion, "To lose his physique and ability to box because of being placed in administrative segregation is a blow he should not have to take."

That Mayweather is being held in isolation and not able to maintain his training regime "may cause, not just huge financial harm to Mayweather, but also huge emotional harm if he is no longer able to pursue his boxing career because of the de-conditioning he has suffered ."

Wright said that Mayweather believed he was only going to be in isolation for a week before being moved to another area of the downtown jail. Wright said jail officials have indicated he will remain in isolation. His scheduled release date is Aug. 3, according to jail records.

Wright said in the motion that Mayweather would be willing to work with jail officials to find "an appropriate location" to serve house arrest if the judge agreed. It's unclear whether the appropriate location would be Mayweather's 12,000-square-foot mansion in the ritzy Southern Highlands development. The mansion sports a walk-in closet bigger than his jail cell.

Mayweather has asked to be put in the general population, according to the motion, but jailers have declined to do so because of his celebrity status.

An emergency hearing on the motion was set for today but was not on the court calendar late Monday. A scheduling problem may cause the hearing to be pushed to Thursday.

On June 1, Saragosa commended the boxer for his progress toward completing his court-ordered counseling and community service.

Mayweather was on the way to completing other portions of his probation when he began serving the jail sentence.

He finished 21 of the 54 counseling sessions, including one on May 5, the day of Mayweather's last fight, a unanimous decision over Miguel Cotto that ran his record to 43-0. He was guaranteed $32 million for the fight.

Mayweather also completed 45 hours of community service with three local charities: Habitat for Humanity, Three Square food bank and the Las Vegas Rescue Mission.

In recent months, Mayweather has embarked on a good-will campaign.

In addition to his required community service, Mayweather has donated more than $100,000 to charities, including the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation and Habitat for Humanity.

The boxer pleaded guilty in December to domestic battery and no contest to two counts of harassment, all misdemeanors, for assaulting the mother of three of his children and threatening his two sons.

He was scheduled to start serving his jail term in January, but Saragosa delayed his surrender so Mayweather could keep his scheduled bout with Cotto.

Mayweather could be a free man in as little as two months with good behavior.

Contact reporter Francis McCabe at fmccabe@review journal.com or 702-380-1039.

[/td][/tr][/table]
large_wire-all-prologue-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom