Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

so cavs get beal, have him & irving play together for a few years, lebron opts out of miami in a few years and goes back to cleveland.

2014 lineup

irving
beal
lebron
tristan thompson
varejao

of course, who knows what picks/trades/signings that cavs make.

Pretty much at this point I have decided I want the Blazers to take Lillard at 6 and Zeller at 11. I would love it if they could get Drummond and Lillard but I don't think Lillard would last til the 11th pick. Also talks of trading for Dalambert and a pick, would be nice to pick up a SG in there somewhere to replace Matthews. But I think a players like Cunningham in the 2nd round would be a good pick-up(yeah I am somewhat biased since he is a Beaver) to at least have a viable backup to Wes.

I just want the draft to be here already. DraftExpress has us taking Jae Crowder in the 2nd round. I'd be very happy with that.

Gonna be on vaca for the draft (myrtle beach) but yeah I agree can't wait for it to be here
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

Gonna be on vaca for the draft (myrtle beach) but yeah I agree can't wait for it to be here
pimp.gif

Going down the 29th. Hit me up son and lets pop bottles(no scoop) word to Rook
laugh.gif

A Bobcats-Cavs swap of picks makes sense

After calling some sources with lottery picks Saturday, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Charlotte Bobcats and Cleveland Cavaliers swap draft picks in Thursday’s draft. In that sort of a deal, the Bobcats would pick fourth and 24th and the Cavs would move up to No. 2.

From the day he became part of this front office, general manager Rich Cho has talked about gathering extra assets, and that generally means extra first-round picks. It’s a strategy the Oklahoma City Thunder leaned on when Cho was part of that front office.

Generally I’m not a fan of swapping quality for quantity in the NBA draft, but this might be the exception. Three long-time draft scouts all told me roughly the same thing; that after Kentucky’s Anthony Davis goes No. 1 to New Orleans, there won’t be a big difference between the next three to five players chosen.

I think picks 2 through 4 will be some order of Kansas’s Thomas Robinson, North Carolina’s Harrison Barnes and Florida’s Bradley Beal. (Kentucky’s Michael Kidd-Gilchrist could fall to, and perhaps past, the Sacramento Kings at No. 5).

Say, for the sake of argument, that the Bobcats don’t have a huge preference between Robinson, Barnes or Beal. Coming off a 7-59 season, the Bobcats have holes to fill everywhere, so adding a second first-round pick could be worth dropping from 2 to 4. Cho’s Thunder sure made out well in 2008, picking Serge Ibaka 24th overall.

Why might the Cavs do this? Just a guess, but I wonder if Cleveland has a strong preference for one player (Beal?) who they see the Washington Wizards drafting third. Cleveland has a potential superstar in point guard Kyrie Irving and a young big man in Tristan Thompson. A wing scorer is logically next on the to-do list.
Link

Originally Posted by PMatic

A Bobcats-Cavs swap of picks makes sense

After calling some sources with lottery picks Saturday, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Charlotte Bobcats and Cleveland Cavaliers swap draft picks in Thursday’s draft. In that sort of a deal, the Bobcats would pick fourth and 24th and the Cavs would move up to No. 2.

From the day he became part of this front office, general manager Rich Cho has talked about gathering extra assets, and that generally means extra first-round picks. It’s a strategy the Oklahoma City Thunder leaned on when Cho was part of that front office.

Generally I’m not a fan of swapping quality for quantity in the NBA draft, but this might be the exception. Three long-time draft scouts all told me roughly the same thing; that after Kentucky’s Anthony Davis goes No. 1 to New Orleans, there won’t be a big difference between the next three to five players chosen.

I think picks 2 through 4 will be some order of Kansas’s Thomas Robinson, North Carolina’s Harrison Barnes and Florida’s Bradley Beal. (Kentucky’s Michael Kidd-Gilchrist could fall to, and perhaps past, the Sacramento Kings at No. 5).

Say, for the sake of argument, that the Bobcats don’t have a huge preference between Robinson, Barnes or Beal. Coming off a 7-59 season, the Bobcats have holes to fill everywhere, so adding a second first-round pick could be worth dropping from 2 to 4. Cho’s Thunder sure made out well in 2008, picking Serge Ibaka 24th overall.

Why might the Cavs do this? Just a guess, but I wonder if Cleveland has a strong preference for one player (Beal?) who they see the Washington Wizards drafting third. Cleveland has a potential superstar in point guard Kyrie Irving and a young big man in Tristan Thompson. A wing scorer is logically next on the to-do list.
Link

If the Wizards draft Harrison Barnes, I'll vomit. 

Cats need to stockpile as much young talent as possible.

Suck next year or two grab more young players. Develop then voila a good team.

MJ should definitely take that Cavs deal if it's on the table. Take Barnes/MKG/Conundrummond at 4 then take a Fab Melo/Royce White/Moultrie/Nicholson etc. at 24. An explosive wing at the start of round 2.

Rinse and repeat next year.

so who do you guys like for the Bobcats at 4/24? Obviously they need somebody to play next to Biyombo at the PF

DJ Augustine is a free agent and I wont be surprised if he doesnt get big money somewhere, so I'm expecting Kemba to take over at the point. He got a bad rap, but he played pretty well last year. He can definitely develop as a good scoring PG in this league i think

Gerald Henderson played very well as a young SG on that team, he is incredibly athletic and a decent shooter.

Their PF and SF spots are sooo terrible though, and their bench needs depth in the worst way. Biyombo has a good backup in Mullins, DJ White and Reggie Williams are good backups at the forward spots.

I would love to see who they can pick up at 24 at the SG spot, and a PF that they could pick up at #4
edit:  I just noticed that Biyombo is only 6'9, could he play at the PF with Mullens starting at the C?

We offered DJ a 3 yr/18 mil deal and he turned it down. Hes looking for 24 mil. Let him walk

DJ White probably wont be back. Mullens is more of a 4 than a 5(doesnt rebound well)

Maggette has 1 yr left on his deal as does Reggie Williams. Kemba should be given the reigns next year. We have a ton of cap room but i dont see us spending it until next offseason.

I want Robinson at 2(or 4) then take whatever wing drops to #24 and then grab a shooter at #31, preferably Jenkins if he's still there.

We own Portland's pick next yr(top 12 protected) and have our own.

Honestly we'll have so much cap next year that we'll be able to offer 2 max deals and bring in key players

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

What's this Ford tier ranking piece like?
Ranking prospects by tier

Every time I put up a new mock draft (Mock Draft 8.2 was updated on Thursday), I get a lot of feedback from readers who wonder how I put it together and how it differs from the Top 100.

This is how it works: Both pieces are reported. In other words, I talk with NBA scouts and executives to get a sense of:

A. Which teams like which players (mock draft).

B. What the consensus is among all 30 NBA teams about who the best players in the draft are (Top 100).

I use the word "consensus" lightly. Often, even GMs and scouts employed by the same team can't agree on rankings of players. As hard as it is for NBA draftniks to believe, there is very little consensus within teams, let alone between them, on draft night.

Obviously, the draft is an inexact science. NBA teams watch prospects play thousands of hours of games. They go to practice. They go to camps. They work out players, give them psychological tests, do background checks and conduct personal interviews. All of this factors into the process and can change opinions.

Factor in the ranking wars with another age-old debate -- do you draft for need or for the best player available? -- and it's no surprise the draft can be so volatile. Many teams take into account holes at certain positions (i.e., the team has no small forward) or coaching/system preferences (i.e., the Spurs draft players who can fit into coach Gregg Popovich's system) when making their decisions.

To make sense of disparate rankings and debates over team needs, the past few years, I've chronicled a draft ranking system employed by several teams that have been very successful in the draft, which I call a tier system. Instead of developing an exact order from No. 1 to No. 60 of the best players in the draft, these teams group players, based on overall talent, into tiers. Then, the teams rank the players in each tier based on team need.

This system allows teams to draft not only the best player available, but also the player who best fits a team's individual needs.

So what do the tiers look like this year? After talking to several GMs and scouts whose teams employ this system, I put together these tiers. (Because the teams do not want to divulge their draft rankings publicly, the teams will remain anonymous.)

(Note: Players are listed alphabetically in each tier.)

Tier 1
Anthony Davis

Note: This category is usually reserved for guys who are surefire All-Stars/franchise players. Last year, we didn't have anyone here. In 2010, John Wall was the only guy in this tier. In 2009, Blake Griffin was the only one. This year, Davis is the only player in the draft to get the nod.

Tier 2
Harrison Barnes
Bradley Beal
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Thomas Robinson

Note: Tier 2 is reserved for players who are likely locks for the top half of the lottery and are projected as either very good starters or potential All-Stars by scouts. Robinson, Beal and Kidd-Gilchrist got the nod for Tier 2 from every GM I spoke with. Barnes, who has been rising on draft boards the past few weeks after some stellar athletic testing numbers at the NBA draft combine, was on 75 percent of the lists.

Tier 3
Andre Drummond
Damian Lillard
Dion Waiters

Note: This is a smaller than usual Tier 3. These are the only three players (outside of the five mentioned already) who were consensus top-10 picks among the GMs I spoke with. Of the group, Drummond and Lillard had every vote. Waiters was on most of the ballots. Drummond is the toughest guy to peg. One team has him No. 2 on their draft board. Others are much more nervous about him and see a high bust potential. He barely missed the Tier 2 cut. Interestingly, a few teams had Waiters in Tier 2, while a few teams had him in Tier 4. That's a pretty big spread.

Tier 4
John Henson
Perry Jones III
Terrence Jones
Jeremy Lamb
Meyers Leonard
Kendall Marshall
Austin Rivers
Terrence Ross
Jared Sullinger
Tyler Zeller

Note: After Tier 3, it's very difficult to find a real consensus here. There are 10 players here for a total of five spots left in the lottery. A few players, such as Jeremy Lamb and Austin Rivers, got a few votes in Tier 3. A few others, such as Kendall Marshall, got some Tier 5 votes. But in general, this group makes up the 10-20 range of the draft. (We should note that I received some of these responses before GMs had a chance to review Sullinger's physical. He is in Tier 5 on some teams' boards now.)

Tier 5
Moe Harkless
Fab Melo
Quincy Miller
Arnett Moultrie
Andrew Nicholson
Marquis Teague
Royce White
Tony Wroten Jr.

Note: This next group looks like locks for the first round, but most likely won't make the lottery. A few teams had Harkless, Melo and Moultrie in Tier 4, but not quite enough for them to make the cut. Wroten and Miller were borderline picks here. Both players dropped out of the top 30 on at least one NBA team's draft board.

Tier 6
Furkan Aldemir
Will Barton
Jared Cunningham
Festus Ezeli
Evan Fournier
Draymond Green
John Jenkins
Orlando Johnson
Doron Lamb
Kyle O'Quinn
Kostas Papanikolaou
Miles Plumlee
Jeff Taylor
Tyshawn Taylor

Note: This is what I would call the first-round bubble group and where the consensus really started to break down. A few teams had Fournier, Green, Jeff Taylor and Barton in Tier 5, but many did not. Overall there are just four spaces left in the first round ... so most of the players on this list are falling to the second round.

So how does the tier system work?

A team ranks players in each tier according to team need. So, in Tier 4, if shooting guard is the biggest need, a player like Rivers or Ross is ranked No. 1. If center is the biggest need, Leonard or Zeller is ranked No. 1.

The rules are pretty simple. You always draft the highest-ranked player in a given tier. Also, you never take a player from a lower tier if one from a higher tier is available. So, for example, if the Pistons are drafting No. 9 (Tier 3 territory) and Damian Lillard (a Tier 3 player) is on the board, they take him regardless of positional need. If they have Meyers Leonard ranked No. 1 in Tier 4, they still take Lillard even though center is a more pressing need.

This system protects teams from overreaching based on team need. The Pistons won't pass on a clearly superior player like Waiters to fill a need with Perry Jones. However, the system also protects a team from passing on a player who fits a need just because he might be ranked one or two spots lower overall.

The Pistons followed this model last year at the draft. While the consensus was they needed a big, when Brandon Knight, who they had ranked in a higher tier fell, they took him anyway.

My all-time favorite historical example is from the Atlanta Hawks. GM Billy Knight took Marvin Williams ahead of Chris Paul and Deron Williams in 2005, and Shelden Williams ahead of a guards such as Brandon Roy and Rajon Rondo in 2006 because of positional needs.

Like every draft system, the tier system isn't perfect. But the teams that run it have found success with it. It has allowed them to get help through the draft without overreaching. Compared to traditional top-30 lists or mock drafts, it seems like a much more precise tool of gauging which players a team should draft.

I know I'm beating a dead horse into the ground, but Harrison Barnes may number 2 overall, and Q Miller, is a better shooter, passer, ball handler, he's taller and longer.

Sully may fall out of the lottery despite the history of eltie rebounder and how well they translate to the NBA, Dujaun Blair, K. Love, Carlos Boozer, Paul Milsap, when will we learn this lesson?

MKG, the winner of all winners, perfect intangibles, legendary work ehtic, elite rebounder and defender from the SF spot, can guard 4 position, and the Wiz are going to take Brad Beal the next Ray Allen...who shot 34% from 3.

The NBA draft is weird man...

EDIT

Another thing, The Wizards will probably draft Brad Beal. they just traded for Trevor Ariza, he makes 7 million bucks for 3 years, MKG, will make 3 mil per year for 3 years.

Is Trevor Ariza going to be twice as good as MKG?  Hell MKG could be better than Trevor in his first year, this is a waste of money. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Sully may fall out of the lottery despite the history of eltie rebounder and how well they translate to the NBA, Dujaun Blair, K. Love, Carlos Boozer, Paul Milsap, when will we learn this lesson?

I agree about Sully falling...but I dont get your point about those other guys?

If the Cavs swap and take Beal then I hope the wizards take MKG. I think MKG can play the 2 for a little.

Wall
MKG
Ariza
nene
Okafor

with a pretty solid bench.

Originally Posted by Hazat50

If the Cavs swap and take Beal then I hope the wizards take MKG. I think MKG can play the 2 for a little.

Wall
MKG
Ariza
nene
Okafor

AKA the worst offence in the history of basketball. 
None of those dudes can shoot man...

Wall
MKG
Ariza
nene
Okafor

I know that but if they don't get Beal might as well be a great defensive team with guys like Crawford, Booker, and Serapin helping of the bench.

My top 10 based solely on FIT:

1. NO- Davis - No brainer
2. Cha- Barnes - Whether of not Cats fans want him, he is the scorer they need and can hit shots off of Kemba... cant win games scoring 70 a night
3. Wash- Beal - Fits perfectly in the backcourt with Wall, no brainer again
4. Clev- MKG - A competitor to pair with Kyrie who should create for him and feed off of his play on both ends very well.
5. Sacto- TRob - Does everything that DMC doesn't and will compete with him and make DMC better for it.
6. Port- Drummond - Upside to high to pass, Portland now has a piece that LMA can be excited to play with and his D/rebounding will be a welcome addition
7. GSW- Waiters - Toughest to slot because of Curry's glass ankle, Waiters/Klay could be deadly backcourt.
8. Tor- Rivers - Derozan can't create for himself or others, Rivers will have a fun time getting his numbers and passing the ball on occasion. IMO they should trade back, no real outstanding fit here. Jonas Valuenciahsf=ahsfj is their real important rookie
9. Det- Henson - With the emergence of Monroe, Henson can be a deadly front court mate.
10. NO- Lillard - Best player available, and will provide a scoring punch off the bench until he ultimately takes Jack's job as starting PG.

I dont get why people keep mocking point guards to the Hornets...the PG's were literally the only good players on that team last year

Wall
MKG
Ariza
nene
Okafor

Seriously though...they'd be lucky to average 70 points a game.

so because Jack(a career backup) started 39 games now he's the solution to pair with Davis for the next 10-12 years?

Having 2 top 10 picks is a luxury, take the best player available, never draft based on need.

Charlotte GM Rich Cho engineers ‘one-stop shopping’ scouting database for Bobcats

The Charlotte Bobcats’ new database scouting system has over 50,000 web pages.

You can instantly look up year-by-year statistics for Boston Celtics great Bill Russell … or any other player in NBA history. You can check the injury archive of a Slovenian playing in the Spanish league or whether a forward in the Development League was ever busted for drugs.

This is Charlotte Bobcats general manager Rich Cho’s baby, an Internet-friendly system that took six months and a six-figure cost to develop. Now it evolves daily and gets put to the test in Thursday night’s NBA draft, when the Bobcats select second and 31st following a 7-59 season.

Cho’s boss, president of basketball operations Rod Higgins, has a simple description for this complex tool: “One-stop shopping.â€

Back
Top Bottom