Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
that would be so easy to sell a fight with him then Devon or hell even Robert Guerrero. Bradley has a name to sell because of the pacman fight, he also has a belt and a 0 on his record(right or wrong)

i dont want or agree with him fighting devon but lets not act like sorry *** Robert Guerrero was going to be a WOW fight or WOW name

at the end of the day i think he still fights Guerrero anyways.
That I get Mike. Even with the Pacman fight, I don't think Bradley brings that much of an added fanbase. TBH if he did, there'd be a lot more people wondering where he is and complaining that he's not fighting. I forgot he still had the belt at 147.

I won't say Guerrerro is a WOW fight or a WOW name but he has the backstory with the wife cancer stuff that wins (and has won) fans over and that they'll stuff down the throats of fans in 24/7. Plus, he's beaten two top 10 guys at 147 which the other two can't say.
Bradley doesnt have a fan base at all, but people know his name because of the pacman fight. nobody knows who Guerrerro is.

It can't be Bradley hes already fighting Provednikov. I don't want to see Alexander or Guerrero fight Floyd. But what would be a mega fight at this moment? I don't like Canelo but that fight would sell bc of his fanbase.

Martinez is the most deserving, but won't get the Floyd fight. Yet Canelo & Martinez practically weigh the same with Canelo rehydrating more but Floyd would still rather fight Canelo it doesn't make sense to me.

RIGONDEAUX SIGNS TO FIGHT DONAIRE
by Lem Satterfield February 11, 2013
Share this story

WBA junior featherweight beltholder Guillermo Rigondeaux has signed his contract to face RING champion Nonito Donaire on April 13.

The attorney for Gary Hyde, manager of WBA junior featherweight beltholder Guillermo Rigondeaux, has informed RingTV.com that the two-time Olympic gold medalist has signed his contract to face RING 122-pound champion Nonito Donaire on April 13 on HBO.
Hyde's attorney, Pat English, said Rigondeaux (11-0, 8 knockouts) "signed within the hour" to face Donaire (30-1, 21 KOs), both of whom are promoted by Top Rank CEO Bob Arum.
"[English] has called me to say that it has happened and that he had forwarded it to my office," said Arum, who was at lunch and had not yet seen the documents. "I believe him, because he's a responsible guy."
Arum indicated that he expects for Donaire's part of the agreement to be finalized soon.
"Everything is in the process of happening," said Arum. "When it happens, it will happen, and then, we'll announce the signing and the site."
Donaire is coming off December's sensational third-round knockout of Mexican former four-division titleholder Jorge Arce, which resurrected the hopes of his Filipino countrymen as it came a week after Philippines national hero Manny Pacquiao was left lying face-first and motionless in a sixth-round knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez.

Donaire made his 122-pound debut with last February's split decision over ex-beltholder Wilfredo Vazquez Jr., and followed that up with a unanimous decision over South Africa's Jeffrey Mathebula for the IBF title in July.

In October of last year, Donaire's ninth-round stoppage of Toshiaki Nishioka, handing the legendary Japanese fighter his first loss since March of 2004 -- a span of eight years and seven months.

Rigondeaux was scheduled to face Thailand's Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym on the Donaire-Arce undercard at The Toyota Center in Houston before his rival's licence was not allowed due to his failed medical exam, according to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

link: http://m.ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/177185-rigondeaux-signs-to-fight-donaire

Finally!! I can't wait for this.

Bradley vs ruslan

Never seen the guy fight (ruslan) how do you think this fight will come off?

On October 20, 2012, WBC junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia of Philadelphia address and Puerto Rican heritage knocked out Mexican legend Erik “El terrible” Morales at the Barclay Center in Brooklyn, New York. The fight was the inaugural main event for the exclusive rights relationship between the Barclay’s Center and Golden Boy Promotions. The card was an exciting line-up and in terms of developing a new market from which boxing can grow, a banner day for the sport.

The fight set another precedent. It marked the first time the public knew a fighter was being allowed to compete despite tested positive for a banned substance twice on two separate dates complete with “B” sample confirmations leading up to a televised world title fight.

At the final press conference, Angel Garcia, the father and trainer of Danny, was beside himself. He hurled his anger at Team Morales but never said what it was he was angry about. A confused media stared, recorded and tweeted in wonder. Even Angel’s own son had no idea what was going on.

Blank.gif

Creative 345

What Danny Garcia soon learned was that Morales had tested positive on two separate dates, October 3 and October 13, leading up to the October 20 contest. A third urine sample taken a few days before the fight came back negative and yet Morales was still cleared to fight. By who still remains uncertain. The New York State Athletic Commission Executive Director has not gone on record discussing the case nor answered why they allowed the fight to go on just a year after going over Antonio Margarito’s damaged eye with the Hubble Space telescope.

“My dad said ’Look, [Morales] took the test, he failed it,” Danny Garcia told Maxboxing.com. “That’s the whole reason we took the tests or we would have never took the tests. So [my dad and I] said ’We are not fighting tomorrow.’ [Garcia’s Team, which includes Golden Boy Promotions and adviser Al Haymon] said we will leave it to the New York Commission. They said if [Morales] second test [collected October 13] came positive that it was ok and ‘They will take it out of your hands and he won’t fight.’ And the second test came back and they still said ’Ok."

Garcia was shocked at the commission, USADA et al allowing the fight to happen.

“That was the whole reason we did the testing so if someone tests positive for anything we ain’t going to fight,” Danny said. “So when the commission said ’Ok’ I was like ‘Damn, so it don’t even matter. Like . . . testing don’t even matter sometimes.”

After the Friday weigh-in, Morales told RingTV "I just spoke to USADA, which is something that I don’t have to tell you guys, but I’m going to tell you this. I just got a call from USADA, and they said that I don’t have to worry and that everything is okay. Everything is okay. You’re not guilty until we prove that you are guilty, and the commission already has accepted the fight, so the fight is on."

However, according to the Garcias, as late as Saturday morning, the fight, at least to them, was off.

“The fight was cancelled,” Angel Garcia told Maxboxing.com. “Behind the scenes, no one knew what was going down. And then the last week when the urine was clean__”

Garcia explained that while he kept Danny resting and focused on the fight, they had essentially decided not to do the fight even with Morales’ negative test. The decision to fight or not was left to the Garcias by the network and Golden Boy. The morning of the fight Angel met with his wife. The two talked casually, exchanging morning pleasantries.

“She began asking questions about what was going down,” Angel explained. “I explained to her everything step by step. What happened there, [Danny and I] didn’t get the [New York] Athletic [Commission] involved. We didn’t get Golden Boy involved. It was fighter to fighter. So the Athletic Commission could have jumped in and stopped it but they let us make the decision. I went downstairs that morning and talked to Danny’s mom. By the end of the conversation, it was [9 AM EST].”

After hearing all the details, including the two positive tests and the third and final negative test, Garcia’s mother, according to Angel, said "Let him fight.”

“I went upstairs and told him, "Danny, you’re fighting,” said the elder Garcia.

The fight was announced a go and while USADA and its president Travis Tygart were basking in the early media glow of the release of the Lance Armstrong Report, an athlete under their contractual jurisdiction, Erik Morales, was about to fight for a world title having tested positive twice for clenbuterol within seventeen days of the fight.

Later that October 20, 2012 evening, after three one-sided rounds, at 1:23 of the fourth, Danny Garcia knocked out Erik Morales with a brutal left hook fitting of a rugged and brave Philly fighter.

Four months later, after Angel Garcia, his wife and their son had to decide for themselves whether or not to face a fighter who had tested positive two times heading into their world title fight, USADA has finally decided take action against Erik Morales.

On Friday February 8, 2013, USADA sent an email, obtained by Maxboxing.com, regarded Morales’s urine samples #1546299, collected October 3, 2012 and #1546300 collected on October 10, 2012–both labeled “Out of Competition”- were found to be in violation of the World Anti-Agency (WADA) code. The Executive Directors of New Jersey, New York, California and Nevada, as well as Golden Boy Promotions’ David Itskowitch and Julien Sieveking of WADA were all cc’d in the email. A USADA review board has determined that USADA’s adjudication process begin immediately.

“USADA charges you with an anti-doping rule violation for the presence of Clenbuterol in your urine samples,” USADA’s email to Morales states.

“You have agreed to abide by the Code and the Protocol,” the email states, “and that any positive test result(s) from a Sample provided by you would be managed pursuant to the Protocol, which has been previously been provided to you. Accordingly, you are subject to the following sanction for your first anti-doping violation:

· Up to a two (2) year period of ineligibility as described in Article 10.2 of the Code, beginning on the day you accept a sanction, fail to request a hearing or fail to respond, or the date of the hearing in this matter, from participation in any activity or competition organized by or under the auspices of any signatory to the Code or any member of the signatory, including ineligibility from in or coaching in Olympic Pan American, or Paralympic Games Trials, or being a member of any Olympic, Pan American or Paralympic Team.; and

· Disqualification of the competitive results obtained subsequent to October 3, 2012, the date your urine sample #1546299 was collected and, including forfeiture of any medals, points, and prizes consistent with Article 10.1 of the Code.”

The email further states:

“Furthermore if it is determined that you are subject to the application of aggravated circumstances as described in Article 10.6 of the Code, your potential period of ineligibility may be increased up to a four (4) year period of ineligibility.

Please be advised, that as required by every doping case under the Protocol, your doping violation and the resulting sanction will be publicly announced.”

Morales has until 5:00 pm Mountain Time on Monday February 18, 2013 to either accept the sanction in writing via fax or by email or to contest it. According to the email and the WADA Code, Morales has the right to a hearing if he so chooses. Per the Protocol, Morales legally can request a five day extension, the deadline for which is also February 18, 2013.

Morales has stated that he would likely have a farewell fight in his hometown of Tijuana, Mexico sometime in the first quarter of 2013.

USADA’s email concludes, “Except as provided in the Protocol, USADA will not publicly disclose or comment on the specifics of your test results until your case has been resolved. By copy of this letter, USADA is notifying Golden Boy Promotions, WADA and the Athletic Commissions for California, Nevada, New York and New Jersey of your test results and requests that they not comment publicly concerning this information until disclosed as provided in the Protocol. USADA will notify these organizations of the final disposition of your case.”

How was this allowed to happen? How were Erik Morales’ two pre-fight positive drug tests for clenbuterol and what should have been the resulting adjudication process taken out of the hands of the New York State Athletic Commission who was charged with presiding over the fight? Who and what allowed the fight to go on? And who is responsible?

First, let us briefly look at another case of a clenbuterol positive test prior to competition.

Prior to the 2008 Olympics, swimmer Jessica Hardy was notified her “A” sample had tested positive for clenbuterol. What is important to note is that Ms. Hardy was not given the option by USADA to compete in the Olympics following her positive drug test and then enter the adjudication process. She was not offered an opportunity to keep giving samples until one came back negative so as to compete in the Olympics. The bottom line is that Hardy’s days as a competitor were immediately suspended following her positive “A” sample test.

Hardy immediately withdrew from the competition and began the related legal process. She ultimately received a one year suspension. Why was Erik Morales, who agreed to abide to the same WADA code under contractual agreement with USADA, allowed to fight despite his positive tests? And why did the NYSAC allow it?

Perhaps it is found in the fact that in no clause, rule or any other place found in several Master Agreement contracts obtained by Maxboxing.com, between Golden Boy Promotions and the United States Anti-Doping Agency regarding anti-doping testing for their fighters are the words “State Athletic Commission” used. No variation of those words is used. It would appear, after careful perusal of these varied versions of the same Master Agreement, that this alliance between Golden Boy and USADA potentially takes the commission completely out of the loop.

We will explore specifics and the legal questions created by such a possibility in Part Two.

FWIW:

Lee (Los Angeles, CA)

So if the holdup between Mayweather Guerrero is not over $$, what is the holdup? Network?

Dan "D$" Rafael (12:17 PM)

The TV aspect is a major thing. Both networks have made monster offers and Floyd will have to decide -- stay loyal to HBO, where he has been his whole career and made hundreds of millions, or try something new at Showtime.

USADA is SUCH A JOKE

Been trying to tell yall that for years. going back to 08 Olympics. :smh:

the State Boxing commissions are bigger Jokes.

Wow, what a joke.  State boxing commissions have been shady for a while.  And I highly doubt that the May 4th holdup is over the network.  Floyd wouldn't fight on Showtime anyway.

Last edited:
PART 2

When the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) sent an email to boxer Erik Morales on February 8, 2013 informing him they would be issuing him a two year ban for testing positive for Clenbuterol twice in the 17 days before his October 20, 2012 world title fight with Danny Garcia, it rang hollow with boxing fans and industry insiders. USADA has no jurisdiction over professional boxing, a fact succinctly stated in attorney Patrick English’s letter to USADA’s CEO Travis Tygart sent earlier this week and obtained by Maxboxing.com.

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Media/LettertoTravisTygart.pdf

USADA allowing Erik Morales to violate the WADA code in this manner yet still compete and then banning him for it four months later makes little sense. This delayed punishment appears to be a public relations move designed to make the USADA testing program in boxing appear to have teeth. Further, by allowing Morales to compete, USADA might have violated the very World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code they purport to protect and uphold.

USADA’s questionable actions in boxing from Garcia-Morales 2 to the cancellations of the contracted testing for the Winky Wright vs. Peter Quillin and Adrien Broner vs. Antonio DeMarco fights bring up several alarming issues that warrant further, perhaps Federal, investigation.

1. In Garcia-Morales 2, USADA had two positive tests on their hands and allowed a third test, taken Wednesday before the fight with results returning negative Friday, to be used to clear the fight to proceed. This went against their previous history in Clenbuterol cases, most notably U.S. Olympian Jessica Hardy, who withdrew from the 2008 Olympic competition following her “A” sample positive test for clenbuterol. The Mexican National soccer team had several players embroiled in a clenbuterol scandal that was later determined to be caused by meat contamination. All were suspended from competition pending an investigation. Any findings regarding contamination in either case took months to arrive at through careful investigation.
In the Garcia-Morales 2 case, we have the NYSAC, Golden Boy and Team Garcia green lighting a fight with two positive clenbuterol tests. According to Erik Morales, a USADA official told him on the day of the weigh-in his positive test was likely due to contamination and everything would be fine. By Thursday evening Morales was already on record citing meat contamination.

Why the drastic differences in how these cases were handled? Do USADA’s policies and protocols change with the client paying them? Perhaps it changes in the sport they are conducting testing in?

1. The decision to fight fell to the Garcia camp not the NYSAC which had governance over the bout. Why is that? Unlike the Andre Berto and Lamont Peterson cases last year (each were tested by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association, “VADA,” which has a non-negotiable policy of handing over results to the relevant state commission and cancelled due to positive test results), Morales-Garcia 2 ultimately came down to whether Danny Garcia wanted to get in the ring with a guy who had tested positive twice or not. In any other sport, that choice would not be made by the athlete.
According to several USADA and Golden Boy Master Agreements obtained by Maxboxing.com as well as several sources on background, the reason the NYSAC appeared in the dark when news of Erik Morales’ positive test broke was because they were. Per the Master Agreements, no party named is contractually obligated to notify a relevant state Commission in the event of a positive test.

Blank.gif

Creative 345

A document obtained by Maxboxing.com “Annex B Testing Services Overview,” explains USADA procedures and protocols when a fighter tests positive.

When an "A" sample is determined to contain a prohibited substance, three separate samples are taken from this “A” sample and tested. These are called “aliquots.” If these aliquots come back positive, then the sample results are passed on and the athlete can choose to test the “B” sample or proceed in another fashion.

If the athlete chooses to test the “B” sample, the aliquot process is repeated. The athlete may be present for the process.

It is important to note that USADA, according to this document, does not consider an athlete to have tested positive for a banned substance until both the “A” and “B” samples have been thoroughly tested using this process.

According to the language in the Master Agreement between Golden Boy, the fighters, and USADA, control of every part of the process from testing to punishment is given to USADA, leaving the state athletic commission out of the process.

“WHEREAS in order to implement quality doping controls, the Promoter, Surname #1 and Surname #2 wish to contract USADA as an independent organization to provide services for sample collection, drug testing, Results Management Services (as defined below) and related administrative services (collectively, the “Doping Control Services”) during the period from Date through the Competition (the “Initial Testing Period”) and for any such longer period as may be necessary to complete follow up testing, analysis of samples, establishment of a review board, communication of findings, and any requested hearing (collectively, the “Results Management Services”) stemming from matters originating during or before the Initial Testing Period (the “Results Management Period”);”

Under “Rules”, the fighters agree to follow WADA code and also submit to USADA as if they were a regulatory body with jurisdiction over boxing, a sport governed state to state by local Athletic Commissions:

“6) “Surname #1 and Surname #2 agrees to submit to the jurisdiction of USADA to enforce all aspects of the Code and this Agreement in relation to them, agree to abide by any sanctions imposed through the Results Management Procedures set forth herein and agree that any anti-doping rules violation can be used by any other sanctioning body to prevent the violator from competing during any period of ineligibility determined through the Results Management Procedures provided for in this Agreement.”

According to this agreement, the fighters and Golden Boy have agreed to give USADA complete jurisdiction over the fight and any positive drug test result that potentially may occur. The legality and legitimacy of this is in question.

Earlier this week, WBC president Jose Sulaiman stated he would not back the ban by the USADA and would sanction any bout Morales wishes to stage in Mexico. Here in the U.S., Morales would likely have to go before any state commission he wished to be licensed. However, as previously reported, Morales does not intend to fight in the U.S. again.

Another issue with the agreed upon USADA-Golden Boy testing program has been the issue of testing programs being cancelled. There have two cases: Winky Wright vs. Peter Quillin and Antonio DeMarco vs. Adrien Broner.

In the Wright-Quillin case, samples were collected from both men and then the testing of the samples was abruptly cancelled. All of this happened in a matter of one week. The samples collected were allegedly destroyed before being tested. The reason given by USADA was that there was not sufficient time to educate the fighters on the process.

In the USADA Master Agreement under “Education,” the process does not appear to be so involved as to support USADA’s explanation:

“Education

1. Surname#1 and Surname #2 agree that on or before date they shall make themselves and any necessary assistants or representatives available for an education phone call or webinar meeting at which the various drug testing rules and requirements to which they will be subject will be explained by representatives of USADA.”
In emails obtained by Maxboxing.com detailing this education process on two separate occasions, a USADA official describes them as lasting roughly an hour.

In the case of Broner-DeMarco, the fighters signed up for the program, Broner received his education call, and DeMarco did not. Allegedly, no samples were ever collected from Broner or DeMarco and no testing ever took place. Antonio DeMarco and his promoter were not informed of this until after the fight.

When asked to comment as to why the testing was cancelled, USADA spokesperson Annie Skinner cited the same educational issue as in the Wright-Quillin case.

Neither USADA nor Golden Boy has returned requests for comment regarding why no one on Antonio DeMarco’s team was ever notified of the testing’s cancellation.

Luckily, the answers to what happened to the Wright and Quillin samples, which were allegedly destroyed by USADA days after being collected, may still exist in their documentation.

From the “Sample Analysis” section of the Master Agreement:

“13) USADA shall maintain Sample Collection Documentation, including test results, for testing conducted under this Master Agreement for a period of six (6) years.”

If any of the blood or urine samples for the Wright-Quillin aborted testing program were tested by a USADA-contracted WADA-approved lab, the documentation should still exist per this contract stipulation. Time may tell what ultimately happened.

Returning to the example at hand, Garcia-Morales 2, as the hours ticked down to making a decision whether to fight or not, newly crowned champion Danny Garcia was feeling the pressure.

According to Garcia, he was assured that if Morales’ October 10 sample came back positive for clenbuterol as the October 3 sample did, the New York Commission would intervene and the fight would be off. But that is not what happened. Instead, the NYSAC was informed of the positive tests sometime late Thursday or early Friday before the fight, and he was informed that they were going to let the fight proceed in spite of the second positive test.

Why would the NYSAC rule that way? For one, Morales had already been licensed to fight. He had passed NYSAC requirements. Perhaps the USADA/Golden Boy agreement had kept the NYSAC out of the loop to the point where they were simply playing catch up and didn’t feel comfortable cancelling the inaugural fight at the new Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn with little investigation. The pressure for this event to succeed had to have been tremendous on everyone involved.

In the final hour, no one felt the pressure more than Danny Garcia.

Rather than use the information provided by the USADA testing program Golden Boy Promotions insisted on, the information was seemingly ignored and Garcia was pressured to fight.

“I started to feel like they were putting it on me. Like the fight wasn’t going to happen because it’s my fault and everyone started coming at me,” Garcia told Maxboxing.com. “So I thought I didn’t want them to feel like I wasted everybody’s money. So I started to feel like I was the problem instead of [Morales].”

Some will argue Garcia should have done the brave and right thing for the anti-doping movement and said no to a million dollar payday on the fact that Morales failed the tests. The whole point of testing during training camp is to catch those using banned substances. But you cannot entirely blame Garcia for going forward. He is a prizefighter who took a calculated but educated risk.

In my opinion, Danny Garcia should have never been put in that situation. The USADA and Golden Boy agreement should have included the relevant State Commission from the beginning. While the fighters, promoters and managers can negotiate for who is privy to a potential positive result, notifying the relevant Commission should be non-negotiable.

Looking at the Garcia-Morales 2 case in particular and the USADA-Golden Boy testing as a whole, it is clear that a full investigation by federal investigators is needed.

From the “Commitment” section of the Master Agreement:

“20) By executing this Master Agreement, the Promoter, Surname #1 and Surname #2 agree not to engage in conduct that would undermine the effectiveness of doping control or to allow any person and/or entity under their control to act in a manner to undermine the effectiveness of doping control. “

By withholding results of positive drug test from the state commission charged with overseeing the health and safety of fighters, USADA and Golden Boy appear in violation of this agreement. Hiding test results, as appeared to be the case before the Morales story was broken by Halestormsports.com, could be interpreted as undermining the effectiveness of the doping control.

Perhaps on the night of October 20, 2012 and in the 17 days leading up to it, Erik Morales was not the only entity involved in Garcia-Morales 2 who was in violation of WADA code.

In line 21 of the “Commitment” section of the Master Agreement it states “USADA reserves the right to withdraw from or discontinue doping control if, at any time, USADA determines that conditions or circumstances exist that undermine or threaten to undermine the integrity of the doping control process.”

Considering USADA’s questionable actions thus far in boxing, perhaps now is as good a time as any for them to withdraw from the sport before they further undermine the integrity of their own doping control process.

Floyd is going to have his dad train him for the may 4th fight, roger is to sick

looks like Trout VS canelo and Floyd VS The ghost is about to be offical

Yup just booked my flight & hotel hopefully no injuries occur. Canelo the curse has met his match lol

Canelo vs Trout IS OFFICIAL FOR may 4th :nthat:

if mayweather thinks hes gonna sell by fighting bums its not that its because of fights like these that people wana see
props to canelo for taking the fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom