Official 2013 NBA Draft Thread

Since when do defenders in a zone D aka a glorified help defender who happens to be really good at rotating, translate to a good on ball defender at the NBA level?

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad he also had one of the best opp FG% in iso situations as well. I know the Cuse Zone hides players but if you can't see his defensive potential than idk. He's 6'6, long and a great athlete at the 1, how many guys are built like that?

Potential, absolutely.

To crown him as a net level great defender? Hell no

:rofl:

That **** literally has me laughing out loud, I watched alot of dude in Miami, he has solid athleticism, but for a kid who is 5'10 or 5'11 hes nowhere near that explosive to be successful at the next level.
dude is crazy explosive , can get to the basket , can knockdown 3's....dude gets ben gordon type elevation on his jumper
and is crazy efficient with minimal talent running a pro style pick and roll offense

if he was 3-4 inches bigger he's a top 4 pick

I know hes explosive, but you bolded half of my sentence. For a kid that size, hes not that explosive to be successful, Im talking Nate rob/ ty lawson explosive

Last edited:
We all know that Larkin tested off the charts at the combine, but how much of that explosiveness/athleticism did he show during games?

To be fair, Jordan Farmar posted one of the highest verts at the combine back during his draft year.

im not that high on larkin like some people here, really dont know what they see. screams overrated to me

We all know that Larkin tested off the charts at the combine, but how much of that explosiveness/athleticism did he show during games?

To be fair, Jordan Farmar posted one of the highest verts at the combine back during his draft year.
and Luke Jackson tested a higher vert than Andre Iguodala AND JR Smith

I can't get over how your wingspan is ~2.5 inches shorter than your height though. I'm +7

Last edited:
Everybody that keeps claiming Larkin to be such an explosive player probably watched the kid play for like 5 minutes at Miami. Despite those vert numbers I NEVER saw him do anything at Miami that I would claim to be NBA level explosiveness. He'll be a decent backup point guard for somebody. He has good quickness, nice pick and roll player and good elevation on his jumpshot. Guy is for real tiny though...there was plenty of times where i saw him not be able to get the ball past half court when there was a bigger defender on him. And whenever he got trapped it was a wrap.

Everybody that keeps claiming Larkin to be such an explosive player probably watched the kid play for like 5 minutes at Miami. Despite those vert numbers I NEVER saw him do anything at Miami that I would claim to be NBA level explosiveness. He'll be a decent backup point guard for somebody. He has good quickness, nice pick and roll player and good elevation on his jumpshot. Guy is for real tiny though...there was plenty of times where i saw him not be able to get the ball past half court when there was a bigger defender on him. And whenever he got trapped it was a wrap.

I think you are under estimating how much athleticism it takes to be 5'11, with short arms and shoot almost 50% from the field. The athleticism is there on film, its just more nuanced,

His defense is what will ultimately hold him back,

I can't get over how your wingspan is ~2.5 inches shorter than your height though. I'm +7

Seriously. Add to that he's a terrible athlete it leads me to believe that even with his post moves and craftiness around the basket he's gonna have trouble finishing in the league. Al Jeff is a mediocre athlete but his wingspan allows him to do alot while being 6'10" in shoes.

A 9 foot standing reach is good tho and his decent mid range shooting and passing might be his saving grace.

I wouldn't call Olynyk a terrible athlete. He runs the floor and handles the ball about as much like a guard as a seven-footer can. Probably a better shooter than you think, too.

It will be interesting to see how he is used. I think he will be a huge asset to a team as a niche-y, mismatch-y first or second big off the bench.

Last edited:
Olynyk is un athletic if you consider athleticism to only be running fast and jumping high.

He's one of the most coordinated and fluid 7 footers I have ever seen.

If smart coach puts him at the Mark Gasol elbow area and lets him facilitate, or score, he could be a very good starter in this league.

Last edited:
I'm going to be completely honest, all this Reggie Bullock love lately is very strange to me...I mean I get that he can shoot and that is always valuable, but he was pretty ******g underwhelming for three years in Chapel Hill.

Did we watch the same guy this year?

Olynyk is un athletic if you consider athleticism to only be running fast and jumping high.

He's one of the most coordinated and fluid 7 footers I have ever seen.

If smart coach puts him at the Mark Gasol elbow area and lets him facilitate, or score, he could be a very good starter in this league.

Fluidity and coordination have nothing to do with athleticism/explosiveness.

He's an average (below on defensive) rebounder and below average shot blocker. Hell he's a below average defender as of right now. He turns the ball over a lot too (but since he can handle and has a higher usage rate I can somewhat understand) Alot of this is attributed to the fact that he's a bad athlete.

I also said this if you actually read
A 9 foot standing reach is good tho and his decent mid range shooting and passing might be his saving grace.

Yes he's coordinated and fluid with the ball in his hands. He's skilled on offense yes. But what about everything else?

Athleticism is about explosiveness i.e. running fast and jumping high. Fluidity and coordination are skill/sport specific. Which is why I said that he would, not completely suck at the next level, but struggle with finishing. But please continue :lol:

Athleticism is about explosiveness i.e. running fast and jumping high. Fluidity and coordination are skill/sport specific.

LOL yea this is just flat out false. Ever heard of agility? That is an aspect of athleticism.

He's an average (below on defensive) rebounder and below average shot blocker. Hell he's a below average defender as of right now. He turns the ball over a lot too (but since he can handle and has a higher usage rate I can somewhat understand) Alot of this is attributed to the fact that he's a bad athlete.

I also said this if you actually read
Yes he's coordinated and fluid with the ball in his hands. He's skilled on offense yes. But what about everything else?

Athleticism is about explosiveness i.e. running fast and jumping high. Fluidity and coordination are skill/sport specific. Which is why I said that he would, not completely suck at the next level, but struggle with finishing. But please continue :lol:

completely disagree agility, body control these are aspects of athleticism, they are not skill or sport specific, there is a reason a guy like Luke Jackson can pop off a vertical higher than Iggy or JR, but when it comes to actually running and moving his rickety *** can't translate that into efficient motion on a basketball.

Back
Top Bottom