OFFICIAL 2014 Grammy Awards Thread 1/26

Viacom hasn't done rap/hip hop any favors by basically removing every aspect of it besides 106 and Park, which is generous in itself. I know you can easily go to YouTube to watch videos, but damn, where did all the shows go? Between BET, Vh1, and MTV, the hip hop/rap looks are atrocious. Even SuckerFree got nixed for some lame all encompassing show genre show (yaaaay EDM :x :stoneface: ). What in the world happened?? Fuse was doing a pretty nice job until that channel just became "(insert artist) Takeover". They basically just gloss over people's past work (especially Em and Jay, and basically their best work) and just churn out there most recent mediocre to fairly decent stuff. All these companies and stations are A1 at erasing and rewriting history, so I'll give them that.

Last edited:
man I miss the days

of watching MTV, BET, VH1 and actually seeing videos and artist do interviews

BET had 106 and Rap City
MTV had TRL
and VH1 had pop of video and another show

I remember when classic videos would come on like Emienm, Busta, Missy videos

said this in another thread. i'll say it here

Puff's No Way Out beat BIG's Life After Death for RAOTY in '98

Evanescence beat 50 fpr best new artist back in '04.

A Naughty by Nature album beat Me Against the World for RAOTY in '96

I had to quote this...

if no one has noticed..the grammys usually tend to pick the most music with the most crossover appeal at the time imo..

Puff's no way out in 98 had Ill be missing you...a track that was heard on hip hop and even contemporary radio stations...every hour.......on the hour....Biggies top single from that album ( Mo money mo problems) was only on urban radio..

Evanescence was a force in 2003 lets not get it twisted....50 was a monster in the hip hop world but once again...Evanescence's bring me to life was EVERYWHERE...it damn near defined that year in a broad musical perspective...

I have no opinion on the naughty by nature snub because i was too young to care about grammys :lol:

and following that last post...

if we go with the broad music standpoint...

Macklamores 3 singles >>>>>> any single K dot has put out on GKMC... (in terms of widespread appeal) lets be serious...

Swimming pools was played alot, but it was majorly on urban radio...and it wasnt even on the hour on the top 40 joints...

Macklamore's thrift shop was EVERYWHERE...you couldnt avoid it...it was on the pop radio stations every hour, it was on commercials and it was urban hip hop radio...

Mack sweeping was no surprise to me...

Last edited:
You can't say Fif didn't have mainstream appeal though In Da Club is one of the biggest songs of that decade. 50 and Dre are going to count money off that song forever.

I remember son walked on stage because he thought they called his name because it sounds like evanescence

@awwsome youre right..he did have main stream appeal and In the club is one of the biggest songs of the decade...i guess the judges at the time felt that "Bring Me to life" was just a little more popular at the time...

when 50 walked on that stage was hilarious though

50 had the #1 song and album (chart and sales wise) for the year 2003. But Lose Yourself swept the individual awards and Outkast had SpeakerBoxx/LoveBelow which took rap album. I don't know what it is, but the Grammys has never gotten the rap category right. How does that not at least win you "Best New Artist"? All I'm saying is K. Dot is the closest thing rap music has seen similar to the way 50 took over the game. K. Dot didn't have as big a year in the eyes of white America as Macklemore (the same way Lose Yourself, Hey Ya and The Way You Move were far more mainstream recognized in 2003 than 50 Cent), but he was widespread regarded as having the best rap album and being the most relevant new artist to come out of any genre this year. It's bogus but I'm calling Richard Sherman "compton thug" appeal has something to do with it.

Generally I believe rap is way too materialistic now a days so I aint mad at Macklemore for coming up with his own soulful sound and rapping about shopping at a thrift store (honestly i didnt hear the album but I see why the grammys would go that way).. But when it comes to the rap category, people that actually listen to it know K. dot's album something new and original/classic at the same time. The general lack of culture from rappers now a days allows this type of thing to happen I believe.

If Macklemore wasn't nominated KDot still wouldn't have won. Y'all could continue to use ol boy as a scapegoat

Personally, I'm not mad that Kendrick didn't win. I'm used to the better albums not winning. I'm just disgusted that this pop star won these rap awards. A blatant spit in the face to the genre and it's fans.

I'm trying to figure out who else would've win if not Kendrick. JCole (pretty realistic I think)? Jay with Magna Carta, an album he himself is even "meh" about :lol: ?

can anyone do a mashup of the radioactive AND mAAd city? not just the remix of radioactive that they put out? :nerd:

Considering he was the only other hip hop album nominated for album of the year I think he would've.
This doesn't have anything to do with what I'm talking about but I'll bite. I'm referring to Rap AOTY not the general AOTY. What does Kendrick being the only other hip hop nominee mean when there was a hip hop, country, electric, and pop nominee in the same category?
If Macklemore wasn't nominated KDot still wouldn't have won. Y'all could continue to use ol boy as a scapegoat

are you talking about for hip hop album of the year?

That was a category?
I'm trying to figure out who else would've win if not Kendrick. JCole (pretty realistic I think)? Jay with Magna Carta, an album he himself is even "meh" about :lol: ?
Really you trying to figure if Hov, Drake or Ye would win before Kendrick Lamar? Eh ok

Last edited:
This doesn't have anything to do with what I'm talking about but I'll bite. I'm referring to Rap AOTY not the general AOTY. What does Kendrick being the only other hip hop nominee mean when there was a hip hop, country, electric, and pop nominee in the same category?
That was a category?
Really you trying to figure if Hov, Drake or Ye would win before Kendrick Lamar? Eh ok
Did you even hear GKMC?

Considering he was the only other hip hop album nominated for album of the year I think he would've.

are you talking about for hip hop album of the year?

That was a category?

I was talking about the hip hop category. Meaning, an album in that category that had also been nominated for the actual album of the year probably had the best chance of winning the genre category. I'm pretty sure it has historically been that way, in the hip hop category at least.

Did you even hear GKMC?

Yes I did. Can you have a discussion without trying to insult someone? What's your point anyway? That Kendrick would have won because he had the "better" album to you?

I was talking about the hip hop category. Meaning, an album in that category that had also been nominated for the actual album of the year probably had the best chance of winning the genre category. I'm pretty sure it has historically been that way, in the hip hop category at least.
Oh ok, I understand now and you're right. Most recently when Em, Ye, and Wayne were nominated for AOTY they won Rap AOTY as well. You're the only one who came with facts instead an opinion on the albums. Respect bro, you win. :smokin

Rap AOTY w/e.

that was def Kendrick if Macklemore didn't win
If you say so.

Back
Top Bottom