OFFICIAL 2015-2016 College Football Season Thread

Nice little article naming the top 51 interesting candidates and their possible landing spots.

View media item 1799412
By Bruce Feldman
Nov 22, 2015 at 8:32p ET

With Thanksgiving coming up, the silly season of the coaching carousel is about to kick into high gear. With the firing of Iowa State's Paul Rhoads Sunday morning, there are now 12 head-coaching vacancies with many more to come. Here are 51 coaches to keep an eye this winter as things heat up.

1. Les Miles, LSU: Less than one month after his team was No. 1, there has been a flurry of reports that his job is in serious jeopardy due in large part to a stagnant offense. His buyout is huge at $15 million, but the Times Picayune says the Tigers Athletic Foundation can handle that. Can his team show enough spark against A&M to turn the tide? It sounds like it may be a long shot at this time. Then again, if LSU is going to can Miles and eat that buyout and an additional $3 million or $4 million for his staff PLUS chase a guy like Jimbo Fisher who has a $5 million buyout and then set him up, you could be talking about money in the $50 million-$60 million range, which is a fortune to make this move.

2. Tom Herman, Houston: His Cougars stumbled against UConn and fell from the unbeaten ranks to 10-1 as Herman finally lost when forced to play a backup QB. Still, he’s the hottest name in college coaching, and is in play at South Carolina and possibly even bigger jobs even after UH stepped up to boost his salary to $3 million per last week.

3. Gary Patterson, TCU: He has done the heavy lifting building TCU into a powerhouse and has a good AD and now very good facilities. But he could be a guy that USC — and potentially LSU and Texas — target.

4. Justin Fuente, Memphis: The Tigers lost again this weekend (to Temple) and dropped to 8-3. However, that doesn’t take away from the fantastic job he’s done with what had been a dismal program. Va. Tech looks like a good option, but we’ll see what other big dominoes fall.

5. Larry Fedora, UNC: One of the better offensive minds in football, Fedora’s team won the ACC Coastal and with a win over Clemson in the ACC title game might be able to sneak into the playoff. Fedora has been operating under a dark NCAA cloud of Chapel Hill in the wake of an academic scandal that he had nothing to do with it. (Word is women’s basketball is expected to take the big hit from the NCAA.) Yet, Fedora told FOX Sports that about 95 percent of the time when talking to recruits, he and his staff get asked about it. He’d probably be a good fit at Va. Tech, but also could potentially be a factor if LSU or FSU open up.

Click for #6-#51 (The Rest of this Season's Coaching Carousel List)

Last edited:
 FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop  9m9 minutes ago
Glenn Guilbeau who covers LSU for Gannett just said there is zero chance Les doesn’t get fired. Zero. “Just a matter of when.”

12241414_753095298129475_5016777701947994910_n.jpg

12299125_753095014796170_5742067676339026912_n.jpg

12249642_753094994796172_6513162175725632654_n.jpg

[emoji]128293[/emoji]

Ed Orgeron has expressed interest in the SU job.

Ed Orgeron on Syracuse football head coaching job: 'My interest would be very high'
Bud Poliquin | bpoliquin@syracuse.com By Bud Poliquin | bpoliquin@syracuse.com
on November 23, 2015 at 4:13 PM, updated November 23, 2015 at 4:26 PM

Syracuse, N.Y. — His name may or may not be on Mark Coyle's list of head-coaching candidates, but Ed Orgeron would be considered something of a people's choice guy to replace the dismissed Scott Shafer.

And earlier today, Orgeron declared that he'd be more than merely intrigued to return to Central New York.

"First of all, my days at Syracuse were fantastic," Orgeron said during a telephone conversation. "I learned a lot under Coach (Paul) Pasqualoni. I know Coach (****) MacPherson and a lot of ex-players and a lot of players who are there now.

"I have a lot of respect for Syracuse. Great private school, great education, great tradition. So, obviously, my interest would be very high. I'd be highly interested in getting that job. I think it would be a wonderful opportunity to go back there."

Orgeron, 54, widely-renowned as a master recruiter, is the defensive line coach at Louisiana State. But among the stints he's had, in some capacity or another with 11 programs (including the NFL's New Orleans Saints), was his turn as the Orange's defensive line coach under Pasqualoni in 1995, '96 and '97.

SU went 27-10 during that stretch and earned invitations to three bowls — the Gator, Liberty and Fiesta. So, Orgeron knows the lay of the Orange land and claims not to understand why some folks consider SU a coaching graveyard.

"It wasn't like that when I was there," he said. "My respect for Syracuse has always been high. I thought Coach Pasqualoni had an excellent plan in recruiting New York. And then we went down and got players in Florida. And we got Donavan McNabb out of Chicago.

"So it can be done. There's a great tradition there. I think if you get the right mindset and the right people, then it's a fantastic job."

Orgeron, born and raised in Louisiana and in possession of a thick Cajun accent, would not seem to fit the mold some people have of an Orange head coach. Shafer's successor, they'll tell you, should be a fellow with northeastern roots and northeastern contacts.

But today, the colorful Orgeron — who played himself in the 2009 movie, "The Blind Side," and acted in scenes with Oscar-winning actress Sandra Bullock — rejected that thought.

"Look, man, I've recruited Miami and New York and Los Angeles," he said. "And they accepted me in every place. So I've had no problems with that. I'm here with Les Miles, who's one of the winningest coaches in LSU history. And he came down from Michigan. So I'm sure there were people who felt the same way when he got to town."

Orgeron did serve as the head coach for three seasons at Mississippi (2005, '06, '07) and as the interim head coach for part of a single campaign at Southern (2013), compiling an overall record of 16-27.

He'd like nothing better than to improve those numbers, right there in Syracuse, which was the first major school to offer him a job following two career-derailing incidents — the abuse of a woman in 1991 and a bar fight in 1992.

"But, no, I haven't had any contact with anybody up there," Orgeron said. "But if there was interest on their part, there would be obvious interest on in my part. So, let's see how it goes."

Last edited:
View media item 1799578
Moreso for the oregon fans on the thread, but if you're planning to get stuff from the collection, go on Fanatics.com right now for 30% off.

Just got everything in at the duck store this morning.
The hoodie is awesome, the jersey is on crap material and it's a terrible screen print, but the jersey itself still looks good(just not worth the money... It feels like a t shirt) . The yellow shirt is awesome and has all the decals of the helmet. Black shirt is supposedly dri fit.... But when I felt it it felt like a regular t shirt that Nike wants to charge 34$ for. And as usual, a Polo and a hat in the capsule. Come by the campus duck store if you're in eugene and say what's up. I'll be workin from 3-7!

Last edited:
This is probably the most interesting coaching carousel ever. I can't think of another time where there have been this many big time vacancies.

Nike continue to go cheap
sick.gif
Cheap is an understatement. The capsule could have been executed flawlessly, but economical is how they wanted to deal with it.

I kinda understand with the jerseys, since most fans don't want to pay $135 for their "authentic" jerseys and they all end up on clearance and are fine with a crap jersey, but man....give the people something worth while. Not just a tshirt with numbers that looks like a jersey. 

Now I have to go find the smallest guy on the football team and hope he sells his jersey to me 
laugh.gif

Cheap is an understatement. The capsule could have been executed flawlessly, but economical is how they wanted to deal with it.

I kinda understand with the jerseys, since most fans don't want to pay $135 for their "authentic" jerseys and they all end up on clearance and are fine with a crap jersey, but man....give the people something worth while. Not just a tshirt with numbers that looks like a jersey. 

Now I have to go find the smallest guy on the football team and hope he sells his jersey to me :lol:

That thinking ruined the Lewis and Clark collection too. Any of these jerseys going to make the team surplus sale?

Dudes on ESPN LA said Cowherd wasn't supposed to talk and could have outed the coach, but since he already said something, they'll add that SC is looking to spend $8-10 million on their next coach.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom